0 comments

Fiction

periphery

As Theo sat on the steps of the lake cabin, she remembered all the good times they had there. As she arrived, all the grandchildren came running for her fresh donuts. Then, she and the other adults would sit in a circle and talk. They spent the morning laughing and enjoying each other's company.

Finally, it was time for a great picnic lunch. All of the wives had fixed their favorite dishes. As Theo put the silverware and napkins on the table, she watched as a group of hungry children ran toward the table. As her grandchildren reached the table, she helped fill their plates with whatever the child wanted. After cleaning up, the men played horseshoes while the women sat and talked. The children watched the men play horseshoes or put their towels on the beach. Finally, the mandatory waiting hour was over. Back to the water, they raced!

A keg of beer and soda for the kids was always there. Everyone laughed when one of the uncles, who had had too much beer, ran his demonstrator into the lake. The solution was simple: a quick ride into town to get the company's wrecker. The day eventually ended, and everybody packed up to head home.

It was very tranquil after everyone left. Theo sat and closed her eyes. She heard the waves and felt the sun on her face and the breeze in her hair. These moments of tranquillity were the ones that were the most cherished. She knew that her grandchildren would soon be spending their hours playing outdoors, and they would smell the lilacs and peonies. Summertime was always the best time of the year, as it meant riding bicycles, playing games, and spending many hours playing in the park across the street.

Finally, the school would start, leaves would fall, and winter would not be far behind. Thanksgiving was always special for Theo; she loved cooking and visiting with her family. She didn't even mind cleaning up the breakfast nook after her grandchildren finished their meals, which included food fights with food all over the walls.

Christmas was always her favorite holiday. She enjoyed shopping for her family and their children. After the traditional food throwing supper, she would pass out the gifts. She would then sit and watch as everyone opened their gifts. She enjoyed hearing the squeals of delight as her grandchildren opened their gifts.

After enjoying the sun, wind, and waves, she decided to immerse herself in nature by going to The Pillsbury State Forest, near her home. There are three miles for x-country skiing, 1.2 miles for hiking, and 2.7 miles for horseback. Other recreational activities include canoe/kayaking, fishing, hunting, and swimming.

The trails consist of various trees, deciduous trees that shed their leaves in the fall. And coniferous trees that have needle-shaped leaves. Most types of conifers are evergreen trees. Trees have the type of leaves that Many small lakes scattered through, with beavers and other wildlife. Among the different types of flowers is the yellow lady's-slipper, the Minnesota state flower.

The state's oldest park is Itasca State Park. This park has more than 32,000 acres with more than 100 lakes. Itasca also includes the headwaters of the Mississippi, which goes 2.552 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. Theo remembered her childhood when they would drive up to Itasca and walk across the headwaters of the Mississippi. They would always take the Mississippi Headwaters Trail to enjoy the beautiful wonders of the forest. They saw such plant types as lady's-slipper, Oakes' pondweed, cuckoo flower, and goblin fern.

Theo also spends time in her garden, the local park, and tree-lined streets called urban and community forests. The park nearest her home is Gregory Park, which offers outdoor recreation and nature preservation.

Theo spent most of her life as a wife, mother, and grandmother. She always kept her house spotless and enjoyed cooking, which included the great family holidays. She remembers her son sitting on the bed with the grandchildren, telling jokes and laughing. After taking care of her husband for many years, he passed away. While she was walking back home with her granddaughter, she flopped down into the snow and made an angel. Her granddaughter watched her in amazement as she spread her arms and legs to make the angel.

All of her memories came back to her as she was less mobile. Her favorite memories were of her family, children, and grandchildren, with whom she spent all the holidays. She also had many good memories of finding peace in the woods, walking the local park, and tree-lined streets made her feel at ease.

Theo would be horrified at the current state of the world. Climate change, the internal fighting here at home, and the war against Ukraine. She would be glad to see that many countries, religions, and major companies are adopting the concept of finding peace in the woods. Today forest bathing is recommended to relieve and improve your health. Outside Ottawa, Canadian, they have forest bathing sessions.

You sit in a circle on the leafy ground and are then encouraged to use all five senses to immerse in the experience. Doctors in Japan have started The International Society of Nature and Forest Medicine has countries where forest relaxation facts are from the society's point of view.

Here in Minnesota, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum has a Nature-Based Therapeutics program. They believe a connection to nature is essential to human health and well-being, and nature teaches balance. They also have on-leash dog trails, so your dog can get fresh air and exercise.

My most special memories are the ones of my longtime girlfriend, who passed away. We were friends from high school and made many good memories together. My favorite one is that when it got to thirty degrees, we would put down the top in my sister's car and drive around with our oversized parkas.

(The International Society of Nature and Forest Medicine, n.d., p. 1)

https://www.infom.org/index.html

(About Nature-Based Therapeutics, n.d.) (About Nature-Based Therapeutics, n.d.)

September 24, 2022 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.