0 comments

Romance Creative Nonfiction Drama

The storm outside had only gained more aggression as the day went on. What was supposed to be a quiet summers day turned into a thunder storm with lightning stabbing soil. Amber had spent the morning grooming the horses at the stable to prepare them for an evening trot over the stream. She had arrived back at the farm a week ago, surprising herself by finding time amid her busy London schedule. Amber hadn’t visited home since the day she left school, her internship stealing her from the family house. To say her parents were happy to have her back was an understatement. They’re ecstatic. 

Her mother had forced her to feast on almost everything they stored in the kitchen cupboards while her father immediately threw her in with the animals on the farm. Demanding she says hello to the pigs who have ‘dearly missed her.’ Only hours ago they went on their way into town to grab more necessities and possibly some small gifts for their hard working daughter. Leaving Amber with the daily chores, she didn’t mind. It had been a long time since she did anything other than sit at a desk writing articles. What she hadn’t expected was the downpour and grumbling grey clouds. She swiftly directed the horses back to their stables after seeing to all the other animals that were running about in the awful weather. The minute she locked the stable she turned to find the family dog, Mickey, was nowhere to be seen. 

Mickey was an old dog, having been part of her family almost as long as her, and if she remembers correctly a very mischievous dog. Always chewing up newly bought t-shirts or ripping apart the arm of the sofa. Immediately she wraps a random coat around her tighter, as if to protect her from the roaring rain, and bolts around the farmhouse in determination to find him. Raindrops spit at her knees, just underneath the hem of her summer dress, causing the skin to redden. Strikes of lightning threatening to puncture through her being. Her feet stutter the minute she hears a distant bark as well as incoherent words. Turning abruptly, just up the hill she saw Mickey running circles around someone she hadn’t seen in the longest time.

He wears blue shorts with a thin white shirt that matches the now ruined tennis shoes, to Amber he looks better than he did when they dated back in high school. The weather didn’t seem to bother him much, letting mud and grass bounce with him in his stride. Just the sight of him held the same effect over Amber. She now stood still in disbelief, forgetting about the drops of water falling from her nose. 

“Adam!” It was a single holler, her voice as confident as the smile creeping to her lips.  

Adam tore his greyed iris’ from Mickey to glance up at her, shock evident in each of his features. Words left his lips but Amber couldn’t make them out over the hard slapping of rain on just about everything. To reach her faster, Adam jogs with heavy feet dodging the oblivious dog. 

“Amber?” His voice holds an intense rasp within the joy that escapes. 

“You so look different.” Adam’s gaze circles in on Ambers lips, the blue tinges portraying the cold piercing her skin. The pair of them were struggling to hear the other yet they also felt content to stand in the downpour reading each others mouths. 

“So are you… you somehow seem shorter.” At that the hazel eyed girl scoffs, thinking back to a time his mocking of her height was a daily occurrence.  

A young Amber shuffled on her feet at the side of Adam’s locker, patiently waiting for his friends to leave to ask him a very important question. 

“Adam, I was- er- wondering if maybe… you would wanna spend Christmas with me this year. Mom’s already said you’re welcome if you wanna…so its all up to you. Whatever you wa-.” The adolescent boy grinned at his girlfriends nervous rambling but interrupted to put her out of her misery.

“Am I only invited because you can’t reach the top of the tree to put the star on top?” Standard Adam, always turning things into a joke so Amber felt more comfortable. 

“Shut up, you’re uninvited.”

After that the two chased each other down the school halls, unbothered by any dirty glares. 

“God, you don’t stop do you!” Amber’s hand flings from her coat pocket to swat at Adams shoulder with a smirk indenting her face. With a tilt of her head towards the house she asks, “Wanna come in and I’ll grab you a towel to dry off.” 

“Course.” 

They jump through puddles of mud with Mickey panting between them, not understanding the situation but happy to not be in trouble. Once they find themselves at the doorway of the house Amber launches herself to the hallway closet, rustling through the many blankets to find the spare towels. She lightly throws one at Adam, offering a shy smile when he winks in gratitude. 

“Come on then, I’m dying to know, how has London been treating you?” He has been dying to know. Since the day she left he has asked the night sky time and time again whether it was worth it. Was London worth leaving him for? Adam only holds love for Amber, no bitterness whatsoever, but he couldn’t help wanting her to run back into his arms. 

“It’s great. Finally worked my way up to that journalist job I aways wanted. What- erm- what have you been doing here?” Amber tries to settle the need to hurl. Years has passed yet she still feels unbelievably guilty leaving the boy she adored for the career she longed for. He never once made her feel bad, only encouraging her to follow her dreams. The words he had spoken were, ‘find the life that makes you happy’ and it hurt her to think he wouldn’t be involved in that. 

“Took over my dads bakery in town. Amb, you should see it now. Most days it’s booming with tourists.” The somber feeling he had creeping towards the back of his eyes seemed to disappear at the mere thought of the success of the family business. Amber’s heart melts at the sight, the bunny looking teeth popping out showing just how content he is. 

“That’s amazing Adam. Im really happy for you!” She was there during the moments of terror at the thought of not knowing what career path he wanted to take. So, to witness the side of Adam who can speak on his daily work with so much joy fills Amber’s heart to the brim with love. 

“Would you like a drink? Coffee? Hot chocolate?” She considers just spewing all the words she wishes to say to him but decides a more comfortable sit down with a hot drink would suffice. 

“A coffee, if you don’t mind.” Adam wasn’t aware of her inner turmoil, too focused on not tripping up his words and confessing his undying love. 

As she stands facing the window in the kitchen, dancing the spoon around the cups of coffee, she feels his stare at the side of her face. The feeling more scorching than the steam coming from beneath her nose. Adam softly steps closer to Amber’s side, bringing a hand up to run through the thickened strands of hair. The pair gulp at the action, both feeling the need to fall into one another yet both too scared their emotions will fall unmatched. Amber’s hand drops the spoon into one of the mugs, leaning both hands on the countertop in order to stop herself when her knees weaken. 

“Amber, please tell me to stop.” He doesn’t want to do something the pair of them would regret, turning their last interaction into one of foolish behaviour. 

“I can’t. I don’t want you to.” There is a wine to her voice that sends a tug to the heart of Adam. 

“Then turn around.” 

Amber spins on her heel only to be met with the plump lips of her past lover, wondering if she pinches herself will she open her eyes to a plain ceiling. Having dreamt the storm and the romance. Adam’s hands cup her face, keeping his touch light enough for her to pull back but tight enough to be completely passed to her. In that moment the pair internally rearranged their lives, both so unaware of how the future will end up but willing to push through whatever come their way. Together. It was unspoken but their begging didn’t go unnoticed by each other, or Mickey. So, they stood in the kitchen, a girl and boy sharing a kiss of longing and amour. Teeth meeting with each shy smile.

August 11, 2020 15:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.