1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Teens & Young Adult

“Can you keep a secret?”


I rolled my eyes, not bothering to look at my sister as I searched the TV for something interesting to watch. “Better than you since since you’re going to tell me one."


Sarah plopped down next to me on the couch. “Well if you’re going to be like that then maybe I won’t tell you.


“You can’t not tell me a secret after saying you’re going to tell me a secret!" I said, looking at her. "That’s mean.”


“Fine I'll tell you but you can’t tell anyone. Janet will kill me if she knew I blabbed after promising I wouldn’t.


“I’m your big sister," I said, returning to my channel surfing. "Your secrets are mine, just like that shirt you’re wearing is mine. I thought it got lost at the cleaners.”


“It doesn't even fit you anymore. Do you want it back?”


I waved the offer away. “Keep it. I want to know the secret.”


“Kathy’s pregnant.”


I turned, mouth open as my mind tried to process the bomb Sarah dropped. “Are you serious?”


Sarah nodded, smiling at my shocked expression. “I was there when she took a pregnancy test. Came back positive.”


“Who’s the father? Is it Tyler?”


“She doesn't know. There’s been a few guys pulling into her station since he left.”


“Really,” I clicked the TV off. “They broke up last month. How many guys could there be?”


“3.”


I shook my head at that. “I shouldn’t be surprised. She was always boy-crazy in high school, why would she change at 23.”


“If I recall you also had your share of boyfriends at the time,” Sarah pointed out. 


“Yeah, but I never went all the way. They were more for show, something to make school fun. When they got too pushy then I dumped them.”


Sarah pulled out her phone. “I’m just saying, we all enjoyed being with guys so don’t judge. You want me to order a pizza since it’s almost lunchtime?”


I nodded. “Cheese and mushrooms. I’m not judging, just stating the facts. So what is she going to do? Does she know who the dad is?”


“Not really. She hopes it’s Tyler since they’ve been together the longest and the others were just one night stands but the timing is too close,” she entered our order on the DoorDash app then grabbed the remote from me. “She plans on telling him but wants to wait until the end of her first trimester which is 12 weeks.”


“Why tell him? Why not wait until the baby is born and get tested? If she tells him now and it turns out not to be his, that's going to be bad for everyone.”


“Yeah, but if it is his then at least he had time to get mentally prepared for it,” Sarah turned on the TV. ‘Besides, just because it isn’t his doesn't mean he can’t raise it as his if he wants to.”


I made a face at that. “I don’t know. From all the time I’ve been around him Tyler doesn't seem the kind of guy to settle down.”


“You've only been around him four times in the three months they were dating and that was when we went to clubs or the movies.”


“And?”


“And, you can’t judge someone for liking to party when they are in a party situation. Come on, Jessica, let's be fair.”


“I’m fair, I’m just saying she shouldn’t settle for him just because of a freak accident.”


Sarah pulled up the DVR and clicked one of our favorite shows. “I don’t think it was an accident, not 100% anyway. She wanted to get pregnant with Tyler’s baby.”


“Why? He’s got a shit job and they didn’t seem all that close when they were together.”


“I’m just telling you what she told me,” Sarah checked her phone. “Pizza is almost here.”


I stood up and stretched. “Well, if she got pregnant just to keep a guy like Tyler than she’s stupid. She’s 23, working part time at a steakhouse and he’s 25 working at his dad’s garage. It’s a good thing her parents are cool and let her live with them.”


“Don’t be so harsh. She’s our friend, even if she made a stupid decision.”


“Technically she’s your friend,” I said, going to the kitchen. “She’s only mine because you're my sister and we share everything.”


“Is that how it works? 


“Yes. It doesn't work for you because I don’t have any friends to share.”


“Gee, I wonder why.”


The doorbell rang, announcing the arrival of our food. I grabbed two cans of root beer from the fridge and poured them in glasses with crushed ice. Getting a serving tray from the closet I placed the glasses, paper plates and napkins on it 


“So how big a secret is this?” I said, carrying the tray into the living room. “Can I talk to her about this or am I supposed to play dumb and act totally surprised when she starts showing?”


“Just let her be the one to say something,” Sarah grabbed a plate and plopped a large slice of pizza on it. “I think I’m the only one she told and I don’t want her to be hurt. Plus there’s always the chance something could happen and she could lose it so it’s best to pretend you know nothing.”


“Fine, I won’t say anything. I’ll just lurk on her Facebook and Instagram for updates,” I took a slice for myself and settled back on the couch. “Do me a favor though. Don’t get pregnant.”


Sarah squealed, her mouth full of pizza. I smiled at her wide eyed expression. “I’m just saying. You and Tony seem serious and I don’t want you getting any ideas. I’m too young to be an aunt.”


“You’re 26 which is nearly 30. You’re not too young for anything.”


I narrowed my eyes at her. “You calling me old?”


“Only because you are.”


I took a bite of pizza and let the moment pass. Swallowing, I raised my glass and held it out to her. “Whatever. Do we have a deal?”


“This is stupid. You know I don’t believe in premarital sex.”


I raised an eyebrow at her, glass still raised.


With an exaggerated sigh, Sara grabbed her glass and clinked it against mine. “There. I promise not to get knocked up before marriage. Happy?”


I nodded and took a long drink from my glass. I knew it was a hollow promise, I’d seen birth control in her room while collecting her dirty laundry one day. For now though I was happy to pretend all was normal. Unlike her, I knew how to keep a secret.


August 16, 2020 20:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mustang Patty
16:39 Aug 22, 2020

Hi, Lisa, Thank you for sharing your story. I liked the premise and the way you made the prompt your own. I did notice a few things that aren't within conventional writing. Just a few techniques I think you could use to take your writing to the next level: READ the piece OUT LOUD. You will be amazed at the errors you will find as you read. You will be able to identify missing and overused words. It is also possible to catch grammatical mistakes – such as missing or extra commas if you read with emphasis on punctuation. (If you us...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.