14 comments

Christmas Holiday

“Hey mum, I’m sorry, I have to cancel our Christmas plans...,” I told my mum for the fourth time over the phone, “you know my work, we’re always moving. I tried but I couldn't get off, another backup dancer hurt their leg, which leaves only me and Alex.” Alex is the only other back up dancer besides myself. And Vanessa is the show stopping singer. “It’s ok honey, I know you tried your hardest, I love you.” Mum said, though she sounded defeated, but I couldn’t hear very well because of the static. “I love you too, send my love to the rest of the family.” “I will. Talk to you later.” 

“Bye mum.” I hung up the phone. Walking down what I hoped was Brick Lane, for this is my first time I’ve been in London, wishing I was with my family making gingerbread cookies with my niece- it’s one of my favorite family traditions. I was going to teach her how to make a gingerbread house. I smiled as I thought about Buster, our Newfoundland mix who looked like a big shaggy mop, who drooled everywhere, jumped up on top of the kitchen counter and ate the gingerbread man's head off. I was suddenly jerked back to reality by the smell of freshly baked goods. I followed my nose into a small, warm bakery. The inside was decorated with garlands and wreaths were hung on the windows. A tree decorated with bread crumbs, and bagel ornaments, in the very corner of the building. The tree topper was a pretzel twisted to look like a star. I walked around, looking at the various breads, cheese bread, bagels, and many more! I decided on a sesame French loaf. “Excuse me?” I asked, waiting for a worker. There was a loud thud from under the counter, and an ‘ow!’ Rubbing his head, emerging from under the counter was a sleek young man, with auburn hair, wearing an apron. “Can I help you?” asked the man, massaging the bump on his head. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.” I said apologetically. “It’s fine, don’t worry about it. What can I get for you?” Something seemed familiar about this man but I can’t put my finger on it. “I’ll take a sesame French loaf please.” I requested. “Oh, I’m sorry but those have been ordered out for a dance troupe this afternoon.” the man explained. That’s when it hit me, I’d seen this man delivering food to the studio we’ve been practicing at. “Wait, do you deliver to the Dance Attic Studios?” I asked. “Uh, yeah, why?” the man replied, confused. “I’m actually a part of The Snow Ballet tour, that’s where we’re practicing. I’m on my way there now, if you want I can take them there.” I offered. “That would be great thanks! I’ll get you the boxes.” Then he left and went into the back and came back a few minutes carrying two, large boxes, that smelled of bread, and other goods. He handed it to me, I sagged a little under its weight. “Do you have it?” he asked as I swayed. “Yes, can you get the door?” he rushed in front of me and opened the door. “Thanks, I’ll see you later.” I made my way slowly, because I did not want to drop the boxes. And 20 minutes later I arrived with the boxes. “Where were you??” Rodrick, our choreographer, demanded when I’d walked through the door. “You are 15 minutes late!” “I’m sorry, I ran into our caterer and I offered to bring the bread.” I said, setting them down on an empty table. “Alright alright, just get ready and quick, Miss Hudgens is waiting.” I hurried over to the dressing area and got ready. I finished and went into the studio where I found Rodrick in a hysterical state. He looked pale, and he was pacing the floor. I went to stand next to Alex who was watching the scene with a concerned look on his face. “What’s going on?” I asked. “Rodrick’s just gotten news that the performance has gotten moved forward a week.” Alex said, looking worried. “But that only gives us two weeks to practice! Why did they change the date?” I wondered. “Something about needing to do plumbing and they can only do it the week we were supposed to perform.” 

Rodrick finally stopped pacing and came over to where we were standing.


“We must practice every day for however long it takes until we’ve mastered the dance routine.” He said, throwing his hands into the air. Just then Miss Hudgens walked in, she was wearing her festive green dress with matching ballet shoes.


“What's all the fuss about?” She asked curiously.


“The vendor had to move the performance forward a week.” Rodrick explained, a little calmer. “Oh, then we must work twice as hard and twice as long. And we mustn't dawdle any longer.” She said briskly. And so we all started practicing. We practiced for so long I thought my legs would fall off. During a break I wondered if I would be able to go home since the performance was before Christmas. Eventually I decided to ask after practice. “Alright breaks over back to the floor.” Rodrick called, whose hair was dripping with sweat. “Maybe we should stop for the night Rodrick?” Vanessa suggested we were all very tired and agreed. This however did not sit well with him. He is obviously very stressed and this just put him over the edge. “Are you crazy?? We have three weeks of practicing to work into two weeks. We need to work. Non. Stop.” And with that no one argued further. Into the late hours of the night we practiced, only did we stop when Alex nearly fell asleep on the floor. In the changing area I looked at my phone and realized it was almost 2 in the morning and my hotel was a 30 minute walk. I groaned, wishing I could flop down on my soft bed. Just then my stomach started growling, maybe there’s still some French loaf left, I thought. So I made my way over to the tables, and to my luck there was half a box left. I grabbed the box and my bag, said goodbye and left. 


In my room, I called my sister to check in and see how they were doing. She usually was up this early, for she can’t sleep well with my soon to be nephew. “Hey Sadie,” She said, picking up. “What are you doing awake this early?”

“Our vendor for the performance had to move it back a week so we’re rushing to get the dance ready and Rodrick’s will have us practicing all day and all night.” I said, yawning.


“Oh no! But does that mean you’ll be home for Christmas?” Kaitlyn asked hopefully.


“I’m not sure, if you’d seen the state Rodrick was in, he is in no condition for questions.”


“Ok, well let’s hope you can.”


“So, how’s my soon-to-be-nephew? I asked, changing the subject.

“He’s doing just fine,” She said affectionately, “He’s kicking like crazy, I think he’ll be out by Christmas.”


“That’s wonderful news! I wish I could be there. Have you and William come up with a name yet?”


“No not yet, we’ve been so busy with Alice,” Alice is my niece, “and the holidays, it’s a whirlwind of things.” 


“Totally understand, I better get to sleep, Rodrick will go berserk if I arrive late again.”


“Alright bye sis, love you.” 


“Love you too.” and we hung up. I ate a French loaf before bed. Once I had finished it, I climbed into bed, pulled the covers over me and drifted off to sleep. I awoke early in the morning and got ready. I stopped by the hotel's breakfast bar and grabbed a bagel. The buzzing sounds of the street, and the chirping of the birds high in the trees-this peaceful sight did not last very long. Shouting voices came from inside the studio, I groaned, this didn’t look like it would be an easy day...or week. As quietly as I could I made my way to the changing area, it seemed Rodrick was having an argument on the phone. “Don’t you understand I need that shipment by tomorrow!” Rodrick yelled. Someone replied but I couldn’t hear the answer. “After this we will never use your company again.” Rodrick said forcefully, and hung up. “What was that about Rodrick?” I asked cautiously. “I was only able to have them deliver the outfits three days before opening night.” Rodrick huffed. Just then I noticed a sleeping bag and a pillow in the corner. “Uh, Rodrick, did you sleep here last night?” I asked. “Of course I did, how else am I supposed to come up with the rest of the routine. I was up all night working on it.” I nodded. Just then Alex walked in through the door. He looked as though he barely slept. “I’m here, let me get ready and I’ll be right out.” he called sleepily. We nodded. I guessed Vanessa was already here so I just waited. Alex came out from the changing area dressed, soon after Vanessa came out. “Alright everyone let’s start.” Rodrick said. So without hesitation we all moved onto the dance floor and started practice. We danced late into the night. I got home at almost 3 am. The next few practices were brutal. We got more dancing then sleeping done. We were all tired and worn out from Rodrick's persistent training schedule. We were all relieved when Rodrick gave us Sunday off. I decided I would do some Christmas shopping as I still needed to get presents for my family. I walked around, thinking of what I should get mum when I realized that I still needed to ask Rodrick if I could go or stay after the performance. I made a mental note to call him and ask later. After walking a while longer I came across a small shop, decorated from the floor to the ceiling with decorations and snow globes, gingerbread cookies, and many more festive items. I wandered over to the snow globe section and found this really pretty one that had a gingerbread house with woods behind it. I decided to get this one for mum. Eventually I found presents for everyone. I dropped my shopping bags in my room.  If I wanted to get home in time for Christmas I should know now so I can get plane tickets to Florida, I thought. I grabbed my phone and dialed Rodrick's number, ring...ring…ring…ring...ring. No answer, he must have turned his phone off to focus on work, I thought bitterly. Not wanting to wait any longer I decided to go and ask him face-to-face. Getting back into my warm clothes I set out once again. “Rodrick?” I called into the dark studio, “Are you here?”


“Over here.” he replied. I followed his voice into the back office.


“What are you doing here?” Rodrick asked when he saw me enter. 


“I needed to ask you a question,” I started, “I was wondering if after the performance I could go home to my family?” 


“Well, it’s possible, we don’t have to be in New York until mid-January,” he started slowly, “I don’t see any problem in it. You’re free to go after the performance.” I was overjoyed! Not only would I be home for Christmas, I’d be home for my nephew’s birth. 


“Thanks so much!! This means so much to me!” I said, hugging him. I didn’t wait for a reply, I turned and left, racing back to my room so I could get my plane ticket.

I couldn’t stop smiling throughout the next week, even with Rodrick's brutal training. I was going to see my family, nothing could ruin my good mood. Thursday the outfits came, and they were adorable. Alex and I were dressed up as elves with giant candy canes. 

        I was working hard on this difficult move that Rodrick called 'the snowflake twist and turn'. It involved making sweeping motions with both the legs and arms, then ducking quickly into a roll, and it just gets even more complicated from there. I’d finally master the move just in time for the performance which was a relief, and Rodrick seemed a lot less stressed. Miss Hudgens' voice was sounding better and better every practice, she was wearing a Mrs. Claus outfit. And she looked great! Our routine was looking wonderful! Rodrick was so impressed by the progress we made in the two weeks. On the morning of the performance, I woke up with butterflies in my stomach and they felt like they would burst out at any second. Taking a shower to wash the sleep off me, I got ready for the big performance tonight. I practically ran to the studio. When I got there everyone was already there, looking tense and anxious, this is usual before a show. After a couple of minutes in tense silence, Rodrick announced we should all do one run through without the outfits than we can do one with them. We all agreed. The practices went by in a flash, and before we knew it we were all on our way to the stage. “Alright everyone,” Rodrick said, turning towards us, “we’ve practiced tirelessly to get here, and I know you can do it, if you mess up just keep going as if nothing happened. Do your best.” “Of course we will Rodrick, we couldn’t have asked for a better choreographer!” Vanessa praised. Rodrick beamed. “And because I had the best group of dancers,” he replied. We all embraced in one, big warming hug. “It’s time, let’s go.” Alex said, wringing his hands nervously. “Don’t worry Alex, you’ll do fine.” I comforted him. He nodded and breathed out. We walked out onto the stage to a roar of cheers, thousands of people had shown up. We got into our positions and waited for the music to start. Once it started we moved to the beat as if it were walking, there were ‘oo’s’ and ‘ah’s’ from the crowd. As soon as it had started it was over, Vanessa gave a few words but I didn’t hear them as I was backstage. We came out and bowed to the roar of fans. Rodrick had gotten us a celebration cake. I didn’t want to stay long, so I had a piece of cake, thanked Rodrick and left. I had packed my suitcase the night before so I could leave right away. I took a taxi to the airport and boarded my plane. The flight was long, I had a kid kicking at the back of my seat for half the flight. The kid fell asleep and stopped. Somehow I managed to sleep, I was wakened by the flight attendant telling me it was time to land. Since my family didn’t know I was there, as it was a surprise that I was home, I took a taxi to my mum’s house. Creeping up the front steps, bending low so they didn’t see me, I knocked on the door, I heard Buster barking like crazy. “Coming,” my sister's voice called. I waited in bated silence while I heard her footsteps drawing nearer and nearer. The door opened and my sister nearly screamed in shock, she pulled me into a bone breaking hug. She held me at arms length to see me. “What are you doing here?” she asked with a grin on her face. “Since our performance got moved forward I was able to come home early!” I exclaimed. “That’s wonderful! We were just about to make gingerbread houses-you can join us!” we headed inside and to the kitchen. “Look who I found!” Kaitlyn said. Mum nearly knocked me over with a hug. Alice came over and showed me her gingerbread house. “That’s beautiful Alice! Did you make it yourself?” I complimented. “I made it all by myself! Like a big girl!” she beamed. “We have one for you to make!” She led me to a spot with a deconstructed house. We finished our gingerbread houses and settled on the couch with a warm cup of hot cocoa. I told them of London and the places, and how the performance went. Soon it was late and we were all tired and we all went up to bed. Early in the morning, my sister went into the hospital to deliver the baby; I waited at the house with Alice while mum went with Kaitlyn and William. I kept Alice busy with board games and movies. Alice finally fell asleep after several bedtime stories and a lullaby. At around 4 in the morning, I got a phone call from mum saying that Kaitlyn delivered her baby. I quickly told her we’d be there as soon as possible. I woke Alice up and told her the news, she was instantly awake. We arrived and I asked the receptionist what room she was in. I found her room and knocked. “Come on in.” William said, opening the door, he was obviously very excited. Kaitlyn was awake and she was holding her newborn son. “His name is James,” she said softly. “He's so handsome, can I hold him?” I asked. She nodded, motioning that I come forward. She gently set my nephew into my arms and I sank into the chair next to the bed. James looked just like his father, he smiled at me, a tear of joy rolled down my cheek.

December 25, 2020 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

I really enjoyed this story Makayla! I am honestly so surprised that this is your first submission! You did such an excellent job writing this! One suggest I would give you is that from "I was working hard..." to "rolled down my cheek" you have such a big paragraph. Next time try to break it, so that it would be easier for a person to read! Also, do remember that whenever there is dialogue, you should indent there too, like you did in the beginning! Other than that, it was such a beautiful story. I wish you the best of luck for your Reeds...

Reply

Kay (:
21:48 Jan 03, 2021

What are Karma points?

Reply

Karma points are...basically points! You get them when people either 'like' your stories, or when people upvote you! :)

Reply

Kay (:
03:59 Jan 05, 2021

Ahh cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kay (:
01:08 Dec 28, 2020

I am so glad you enjoyed!! Thanks for the feedback! During the submission process I couldn't really tab it in that way, but I'll figure it out eventually!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kay (:
01:08 Dec 28, 2020

I am so glad you enjoyed!! Thanks for the feedback! During the submission process I couldn't really tab it in that way, but I'll figure it out eventually!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Writer Maniac
06:02 Jan 12, 2021

Wait, Vanessa Hudgens?! I freaked out when I realized! I really liked the story! I feel like it was too fast-paced, however, and you could divide it into more paragraphs to give the words room to breathe. That's just my suggestion, great job!

Reply

Kay (:
19:37 Jan 12, 2021

Yes! Thanks, yeah I guess I may have finished it in a hurry. Yeah, I'm getting used to the way it organizes them when I submit it. Thanks!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:28 Jan 13, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.