14 comments

Fantasy Romance Funny

Okay, people, please do not attack me if you're religous or offended by this. I'm not trying to offend anybody, it's just a story I decided to write. I know it's not true, okay? Enjoy! It's a lot of dialouge, I know.

I come to the graveyard a lot to think. I guess I was thinking too hard, because the gates are locked, and I can’t get out.

I don’t mind, though. It’s not like I have anything else to do.

I’m sitting on the top of a hill, the wind blowing my long blonde hair everywhere. My name is Jayla, but I go by Jay. I might end up staying the night here. I don't know yet.

“Hey!” I hear suddenly. The voice echoes from everywhere, so I don’t know where it came from.

“Hello?” I say, getting up.

I hear leaves crunching behind me. I turn, and standing there is the most beautiful man I’ve ever seen.

His straight black hair is slicked back neatly. He’s wearing a long jacket, a scarf, and jeans. The jacket blows back in the wind, revealing a tight white t-shirt that shows off his abs. He smiles at me, and I try not to melt.

“Hello, Jay.” He says. 

Somehow, I find my voice. “Hi…? Uh, who are you?”

“Me?”

“No, the leaves.” I say.

 He ignores my sarcasm, and says. “I’m from Hell.”

I look at him. “Okay?”

“Huh.” He says, studying me. “Most people ask if I’m the Devil.”

I shrug. “I’m not most people.” This should be very interesting.

“Well, I’m not the Devil, I’m his son. Josh.” He tells me, checking his perfect nails.

“Who’s your mom?” I ask, stuffing my hands in my pocket.

He stares at me. “You're different.”

“I like it that way.” I say.

He sighs. “You’re making this hard.”

“What do you mean?” 

“I’m supposed to kill you!” 

“Why?”

“I dunno. You were on the list. I’m not even supposed to be talking to you.”

“Why are you?”

“I dunno. Maybe 'cause you’re cute.”

I blush. That is not true at all. “Am I going to Hell?”

“I dunno. Why would you?”

“Cause I’d go if you were there.”

My face burns. Did I really just say that? He looks surprised, but also amused.

He raises an eyebrow. “Oh, really?”

“Shut up.” I mutter, walking down the hill.

He follows. “You know I have to kill you, right?”

“Will it hurt me?” 

“Probably not.”

“When?” 

“No certain time. I just do.”

“Then why not wait?”

“For what?”

“Ever.”

“What?”

“Nevermind. Can it wait till tomorrow? I...I want to see my friends one more time?”

“You’re really not like other people.”

“Not really.”

“Sure. I guess you can wait until tomorrow. But I’m staying with you the whole time.”

“Every single second?”

“What?”

“Every single second, or just most of the time? 

“Which would you prefer?”

“Well, do you want to watch me take a shower?”

His eyes flick down my body. “Yes.”

“You’re weird.”

“Can you blame me?”

“Yes.”

“Fair enough.” 

We’ve reached the bottom of the hill. I turn, and start walking back up.

“What are you doing?”

“I left my bag.”

“Oh.”

We walk in silence until I think of another question.

“What’s it like in Hell?”

“Uh, I’m not really supposed to say.”

“You’re also not supposed to talk to me.”

“Good point, but I’m really not telling you.”

“Okay.” 

He’s quiet. We reach the top of the hill, and I sit down. 

“Do you ever wish you could just stay in one place forever?” I ask him.

“What do you mean?”

“Just staying in a quiet place where you can do whatever without people bothering you.”

“I’m bothering you?”

“What? No, you’re fine.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“So?”

“So what?”

“Would you want to stay in one place forever?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Because I love to travel. I’ve been all around the world. I’d hate it if I couldn’t keep doing that.”

“Hmm.”

“Hmm, what?”

“I’m going to spend the night here.”

“What? Why?”

“I’m here, anyway.”

“So? You can just leave!”

“I don’t want to.” 

“You really aren’t like other people.”

“Nope.”

“Well, I guess I’m staying too.”

“Nice.”

“You have any food?”

“Nope.”

“Ah.”

We keep talking until it’s really dark. We both fell asleep at some point. He fell asleep on my shoulder, and I smile the next morning when I see him.. He’s not the stuck up snob I thought that he’d be. He’s really kind of the opposite. 

I lied when I told him I had friends to see. I don’t have any friends. Everyone always thinks I ask too many questions, and I’m really weird. I don’t mind, though, since it gives me more time to do whatever I want. 

He took off his jacket a while ago. I drape it over his body, and stand up quietly. I walk past the front gates that are now unlocked. I walk all the way to the chapel at the other end of the graveyard. 

My dad won’t be happy. But I’ve made my choice.

Is it possible to fall in love in a night?

“Dad.” I say as I walk in. I turn away as he appears in a bright light.

“What, Jay? I have things to do.” He says impatiently, tapping his foot.

I cross my arms. “The Devil's son came to me yesterday.”

“What for?” He asks, scowling.

“Apparently, he’s supposed to kill me.” 

“So? You’ll just go to Heaven with me.”

“I don’t want to go there, Dad.”

“And we'll-what?”

“I- I’m staying with Josh.” 

“Are you serious?”

“Yes.”

“But-you-I-wha-no!”

“Dad, I’m sorry. But this is what I want.”

“Fine.” He says turning away. “Don’t expect to hear from me again.”

I sigh as he disappears. I turn, and walk back to where Josh is. He’s still asleep. I sit next to him, and close my eyes.

I wonder what he’ll say when he finds out my dad is God.

I guess I'll find out.

October 26, 2020 13:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Unknown User
02:39 Jan 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Booker Bogan
16:04 Nov 02, 2020

Loved this story! Thought it was funny how the main character's name, Jay, is derived from Hebrew, though not sure that was intentional

Reply

Ari Berri
16:09 Nov 02, 2020

I'm glad you like it! It wasn't, actually, but still cool. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vadasz Sara
16:44 Oct 29, 2020

“Well, I’m not the Devil, I’m his son. Josh.” He tells me, checking his perfect nails" Am I the only one to see something brilliantly blasphemious intrigue here?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vanessa Carlson
18:52 Oct 28, 2020

Hahaha I love the ending! Cute banter between the characters as well. One thing: try adding the occasional "I said" or "he said" throughout lengthy passages of conversation, it helps to be reminded and the reader doesn't have to go back quite so far to get back on track. Otherwise, well done!

Reply

Ari Berri
19:29 Oct 28, 2020

I'm glad you liked it. I'll do that next time, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
16:37 Oct 28, 2020

I think that this was a really great story and so, I'll give this a 10/10 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Orenda .
14:22 Oct 27, 2020

omgg....the ending....🤯 I loved it! I...kinda like Josh 🤭 if there's a sequel, I'll desperately be waiting for it :D

Reply

Ari Berri
14:47 Oct 27, 2020

There might be, I've got to find a prompt. I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Orenda .
15:11 Oct 27, 2020

yesss, then I look forward to it, ehehee... you working on any other prompt?

Reply

Ari Berri
15:20 Oct 27, 2020

Maybe? I'm behind in work, and I kinda have writers block, so we'll see.

Reply

Orenda .
16:45 Oct 27, 2020

ooh, okay then. If you need any help, maybe I could help? Anyway, have a great day!

Reply

Ari Berri
16:46 Oct 27, 2020

I'll see, thanks. You have a great day, too!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.