0 comments

General

To My Son Finn,

I never told you the story of your father and I.

The hole was deep, not as profound as the gnawing emptiness that bit him leaving his soul bloodied on the inside.

He was studiously staring at the beautiful wooden casket with tiny hearts engraved on the side. She took his heart to the abyss of blackened earth. The magic of his world gone; death ate it over the months cancer whittled away what was left her spirit. Her last breath ragged wheezy, mirroring his own.

This is what Xavier was mulling over as the realtor wrapped up the final documents. He sold her house and being there was a ghost of better memories that would never come.

“It’s really beautiful.” The realtor said her cherry voice was like cough syrup going to an empty stomach. He coughed.

“Yes. I will be leaving tomorrow going on a lifetime road trip.” His voice solemn and cold.

That was ten years ago, and 900,000 miles back. Now, Xavier found himself in the small town of Finamore, Oklahoma. He was weary and dragged himself in a tiny diner. The smell of fried chicken permeated the air miles around. That’s where he laid eyes on Pamela McPherson.

Her wavy black hair rippled down her shoulders, hot oil right out of an oil rig; shiny and smooth. Her eyes set like hypnotizing emeralds; forcing you to stare into her pure soul. Her laughter was contagious it made the customers feel like they were a huge family; gathering around Christmas dinner.

He felt Pamela. Her spirit arose something deep in his spirit. A few years waned since Bria’s death, the car was lonesome. The winters seemed colder there was no magic, just highways upon bi-ways, the roads were empty like his soul. Xavier‘s steering wheel absorbed tears that even all the Great Lakes could be filled by.

Xavier, wanted to live again. He boldly introduced himself his eyes struck a chord in her soul. She was orphaned and she knew that look reflecting back at her.

When, Pamela’s shift was over they talked about Xavier’s adventures on the open highway. He laughed in a melody he never heard before. The sunset started to rise. Bria’s fighting and brave spirit washed over Xavier.

“Let’s drive to Vegas and get married and let’s see the world?” His questioning words full of adventure, hope, and promise. He knew life is too short not to gamble once in a lifetime.

Pamela thought for a moment and threw her apron down locked the door to her dead end job, grabbed his hand. Adventures and living came to Xavier.

This is the story of your dad and I giving love and roads a chance. I know son that you are engaged. These years on the road were what taught us about each other, giving us a marriage lasting over twenty years. I challenge you to do a ten year road trip. Driving is a lot like life, with flat tires, new people, and extraordinary adventures you will appreciate each other and learn to communicate.

I know you got that remote telecommunications career, and she is a photographer. Your wedding present, your dad and I are giving you an RV. You know we are still on the road, we flew our car over to Europe and wow are the adventures amazing.

We will fly over for the wedding, don’t you worry about a thing. Let the adventure never end just find another road. We will see you soon.

Love,

Your Mom,

Pamela.

Xo



September 09, 2019 06:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.