7 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction

Part 3:

Needless to say, the USA and the entire world were rendered speechless by the President’s formal address. As predicted, many people were extremely frightened. Just as many dismissed all of it as simple jabberwocky. However, news reports began to filter in that, indeed, violent perpetrators on the streets of Chicago and New York and throughout the world were observed being instantaneously blasted into a cloud of white gas and powder by a beam that seemed to originate skyward. Witnesses stated that the beam appeared to have a deep purple or ultraviolet hue and that the entire vaporization process seemed to take only a split second, similar to a sudden bolt of lightning. One moment, the perpetrator was standing there. A second later, there was a cloud of dissipating white gas in its place. Most importantly, only the perpetrator was affected. There was no collateral damage, even when others were within inches of the target. 

Not surprisingly, the level of street crime and violence diminished rapidly. Within days of the new system’s initiation, a feeling of safety and openness appeared to pervade the streets and neighborhoods throughout the country and the world. Young families enjoyed walking in the parks; passersby seemed more cordial and engaging; dark streets seemed less foreboding. A sense of freedom and happiness began to exude from the peoples of the world. 

The public was also rather shocked to discover that violence directed at animals also resulted in vaporization. Caught on a live news broadcast, a man was seen kicking a stray dog in Central Park in New York. About two seconds later, the man was vaporized into a gaseous apparition, and within ten additional seconds had dissipated into a gust of wind.  

The reaction to these barely comprehensible events throughout the world was quite mixed. On one hand, many people were exhilarated beyond description, claiming that Franklin must be the Messiah. In fact, there was a solid percentage of the population that was fairly certain of that. Conversely, many people felt extremely uneasy about the sudden imposition of what seemed to them to be an ultimate form of totalitarianism. Although they didn’t necessarily approve of violence, it seemed unfair to them to be vaporized for it. After all, punching someone in the nose was not considered a death penalty offense. And what would happen if two children began fighting? Something did not feel right to them. 

A few nights later, Franklin Jacobson addressed the nation once again. The talk this time did not originate at the Renaissance Desk in the Oval Office. Franklin sat comfortably on a soft chair in front of a working fireplace in the White House, not wearing a suit, but a relatively casual sweater. Photos of his family sat warmly on the mantle.

Franklin began his chat very calmly, with what one might call an avuncular mien. 

“My fellow citizens, and all who might be listening from around the world, tonight I would like to tell you an amazing story. As you listen to this story, please give me the benefit of the doubt such that you understand that everything I say to you is meant with the best of intentions. Nothing I say to you tonight should be construed in a negative or threatening way.

I think by now everyone understands that these past few months have been really revolutionary for us and our world. My team and I have put out papers and books giving you the cures for cancer, heart disease, and dementia. We have given you information about the origin of the universe. This is insight that your scientists would not have acquired for perhaps 1,000 years on their own. We also gave you the technical ability to derive dramatically increased energy from the Sun through vastly improved solar panels. This will be of extraordinary benefit to our economy and to the ultimate health of the planet. 

You have noticed an astonishing improvement in world peace. Countries that were previously aggressive and hegemonic are now quiet and peaceful. When I spoke with their leaders, they seemed genuinely intrigued by my vision of peace. I believe that these countries will no longer cause trouble in the world. This will also allow us to redirect much needed resources from military expenditure to social development and medical science. 

Let me begin my amazing story this way. For millennia, mankind has wondered if we were alone in this enormous universe. Only recently, our scientific technology has allowed us to peer deep into space. The Hubble Space Telescope in 1995 produced the “Deep Field” photo, which demonstrated that there were many more galaxies in the universe than we had presumed. There are perhaps a trillion galaxies in the universe. In many of these galaxies, there are hundreds of billions of stars. And around many of these stars orbit planets, some of which are hospitable to the development of life. 

In our own galaxy, the Milky Way, there are approximately 200 billion stars. About 30% of these stars have planets. And of those, about 20% exist in the livable zone. That’s about 12 million planets.

In our local star group, those within 20 light years of Earth, there are several with planets in the habitable zone. One particular star, one you call Tau Ceti, is approximately 11.9 light years from Earth, and can be seen with the naked eye, located in the constellation Cetus. This solar system contains a lot of interstellar dust, making it difficult for Earth-bound telescopes to gain any real detail. But there are five planets orbiting this star. The fourth planet is squarely in the habitable zone. And, indeed, it contains life. 

The civilization that lives there is at a more advanced stage of development relative to mankind. I would estimate that they are at least 50,000 years ahead of Earth in their science, social development and creativity. But, most importantly (and I know this would be an immediate question), this civilization is peaceful and nurturing. They intend only to help. 

They have been observing mankind on Earth for many centuries. Although they have never interfered or tried to influence life here, they have been nonetheless concerned with the recent direction that mankind seemed to be taking. Of particular concern was the possibility of full-scale nuclear war, which would set the planet back centuries and possibly permanently damage chances for further development. 

Now then, that comes to an obvious question. How do I know all of this?

Well, the answer is that I am from there. I was not born there, however. As I previously indicated, I was born just outside of Asheville, North Carolina. I am fully human. But when I was a young child, my parents were killed in a motor vehicle accident in which I was grievously injured. I would have died that night. But a visitor from Tau Ceti happened to be in the area, and decided to take me back to his planet for care. 

I’m sure all you scientists and astronomers are doubting how that could be possible. After all, Tau Ceti is almost 12 light years away. That’s about 70 trillion miles. With our spaceships, it would take thousands of years to make the trip. But this civilization has long since developed methods of rapid space travel. They were able to discover a way of utilizing the space-time continuum to travel within a slightly altered dimensional state. This gives them the ability to travel at approximately 1000 times the speed of light. Therefore, it takes them only 4.5 days to go the distance between our planets. To give you a more tangible example, at this speed a spaceship would need only two seconds to go from the Earth to Jupiter. 

You may have noticed that I refer to them as “this civilization.” That is because there is no language equivalent on Earth of their name. Their language is not based on words, but on sounds that roughly equate to musical notes. Just as an aside, they are most amused by our music, especially that of Johann Sebastian Bach. To them, it sounds something like babbling baby-talk. 

Despite the marked difference in our languages, we would still be able to communicate quite well. Their civilization will install an app on all the computers and smart phones on Earth that will instantly translate back and forth. It wouldn’t be possible for humans to learn their language. It would require a sense of perfect pitch and speed of processing that even the most talented musicians on Earth couldn’t approach. Growing up on their planet, they were able to teach me a simplified version of their language that allowed me to communicate with them. They also instructed me in English and numerous other Earthly languages. 

But just for convenience’s sake, I suggest we refer to them as the Tau Cetis.  

So, to summarize, the Tau Cetis are offering us their assistance and advice for our better development. They do not want to force it upon us. If we desire it, they will provide it. If we reject their offer, they will abide by that decision as well. As I said before, the Tau Cetis are totally peaceful and are not aggressive in any way. They want what is best for us. They are also tremendously more advanced and can provide us with incredible tools for our improvement. 

With that, I wish you all a peaceful night and a wonderful tomorrow. Good night.”

Rather than a peaceful night, the entire world seemed to be speaking at once. Pundits from all sides opined. Commentators debated the issue. Religious zealots proclaimed the End of Times. Every person on the street was abuzz with excitement. Most of the chatter was borne of fascination and curiosity. But a large chunk of the population of every country warned of sinister motives and a bleak future under the rule of the alien overlords. 

The issue was bandied about in the United Nations. The decision was made and agreed to by all that there was only one way to achieve a fair resolution of the question: “Should mankind accept the assistance of the Tau Cetis?” A world-wide vote would be needed. Every single capable human being on Earth had to give their input.

And, therefore, a planet-wide vote was set for one month from that evening. All agreed that this was to be a strictly democratic vote. The majority would win. No country would have more weight than the others. It was a vote of the world’s population, not of any particular country’s.  

As the date of the vote approached, opinions became increasingly vociferous. A bit of hysteria began to permeate the arguments. Dire predictions abutted against the most utopian visions, with utter hell on Earth contrasted with societal bliss for all. The conspiracy theorists hollered their warnings of nefarious motives, while the liberals extolled the exhilarating possibilities of discovery. 

The day of the vote was upon the planet Earth. Every single capable human being of voting age registered their decision, a total of 4 billion ballots. Experts predicted a very close result. No one was willing to put his or her reputation on the line to predict the outcome.

• • • • • •

Early the next morning, as the Sun rose in the eastern sky, spreading its golden arms outward to warm the Earth, Franklin slept serenely, almost as if he were sedated. Somewhere in the fog of his semi-consciousness, a voice rang out.

“Professor Mitchnik! Professor Mitchnik! Wake up! It’s time for your breakfast and medication!”

Franklin slowly opened his eyes, gradually focusing on the prune-like face of the charge nurse. 

“Come, Professor, let’s do your toileting. We have a wonderful breakfast being served in the dining room. They have your favorite this morning. Grilled corn muffins with strawberry jam.”

“I’m not Professor Mitchnik!” Franklin shrieked. “I’ve told you a million times! I’m the president of the United States! My name is Franklin Jacobson! And if you persist in addressing me incorrectly, I’ll be forced to have you instantaneously vaporized. Look out! Don’t touch me! You would be electrocuted by my protective screen.”

The charge nurse gently responded, “Of course, President Jacobson. Of course. Now, if you get up now, you could even have a nice bowl of oatmeal with your muffin.”

After stepping out into the hallway, the nurse met with the staff psychiatrist, Dr. Williams. 

“Dr. Williams, it seems that Sheldon is still hallucinating quite vividly. He is still perseverating on being an alien who became president. I thought the medication would reorient him.”

“Well, nurse,” said Dr. Williams, “schizophrenia sometimes takes careful adjustment of medications and the tincture of time to get patients back to reality. In this case, I think we are going to have to increase his medication a bit.”  

February 04, 2023 02:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Samsara Lind
00:20 Feb 10, 2023

I knew it!!!

Reply

BRUCE MARTIN
16:02 Feb 10, 2023

Good call!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela Pirozzi
05:30 Feb 09, 2023

I loved this series. But was dismayed by then ending. :( I loved the character and the story line so much!

Reply

BRUCE MARTIN
12:11 Feb 09, 2023

Hi, Angela. Were you dismayed because you wanted it all to be real rather than a hallucination?

Reply

Show 0 replies
BRUCE MARTIN
12:11 Feb 09, 2023

Hi, Angela. Were you dismayed because you wanted it all to be real rather than a hallucination?

Reply

Angela Pirozzi
12:59 Feb 09, 2023

Hi Bruce. Yes, I really did want it to be real. I know you made it a hallucination for the prompt, but I was completely loving the story line. Although I was dismayed at that turn of events, it did not take away from my enjoyment of your work. Which is amazing. I look forward to reading more from you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Wendy Kaminski
18:09 Feb 04, 2023

Ah ha! Nice to see the loop come full circle. :) I love how you expanded upon this initial story and its surprise ending. If I could have one wish, I'm going to go with the vaporizing device for persecutors; I often pray not only for those experiencing violence (who at least have some recourse), but also for the animals. I'm so thankful you put that in the story, even if it was just a story. We are similar in that regard, and it is nice to see someone else mentioning it as a separate thing rather than not even as an afterthought. The resurg...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.