For The Moments I Spent With You

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a summer afternoon spent in a treehouse.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama

The gentle breeze swept across my face as I took a moment to gaze out the window to the sunset before returning to the novel. The romance genre of the novel complimented perfectly with the warm rays of sun and blush-red and orange that bounced around the small room. They quickly reminded me of the person I always think about when I'm in the treehouse... it was you.

I managed to get myself to read a few more pages until I reached the end of the chapter of this novel. I quickly skimmed through the chapter where problems between the characters started arising. Despite the cliff-hanger I placed my book down on the small table beside me to appreciate the warm sunset. I found a more comfortable position on the hammock and just gazed, breathing in the moment.

"It's pretty today, isn't it? It reminds me of the Summer afternoon of the day I met you."

We met during summertime where you came into my class as a new student. You seemed quite the confident type, which I liked. So, I quickly approached you that day once lunchtime came around. It was fair enough that you didn't open up quickly... but you introduced yourself back to me and from there... we kept going forward.

We'd spend our afternoons in this treehouse that my father built in the backyard for us. He worked very hard on it for days, but luckily his engineering skills had proved helpful... the fact that this house still stands after years is proof. Too bad he isn't here anymore. We'd play house, we'd read, we'd even take naps in the mellow afternoons. And if we weren't in the treehouse, we'd run back and forth between our houses, mailing letters with random messages with stickers instead of stamps. We did that everyday despite that our houses were a few blocks away from each other's. Maybe our friendship defied distance that way.

I hope you remember these times as much as I do, for not a single day goes by without me thinking of you, especially when I'm in this treehouse, which I don't use as much anymore.

The sunset continued to keep me warm as I drifted in my thoughts, and I found myself leaning against the windowsill that faced directly toward the sunset. I think I heard a gentle music box tune play in my head. I made me feel sleepy and nostalgic.

...

I miss you sometimes, you know?

We went through a great deal of our school journey together, remember? We changed our play habits from child's play to study sessions, to buying snacks at the local convenience store... They were great, but we knew we couldn't do that anymore when you got into a different university. I'm still happy for you, and still wish you well.

*** 

Exam scores came out, and the papers that many high schoolers considered as fateful were pinned to the pin board in the corridor, causing a swarm of students to crowd around it when the bell rung.

It seems that extra studying session in the treehouse paid off, I thought to myself. I gave a quiet 'yes!' out loud. The next name I automatically went to look for was yours, and you did pretty well too.

"Our study sessions paid off! Hooray!" I beamed. "We ranked pretty well."

You agreed and we cheered for ourselves. What a satisfying outcome.

"So, what university were you going to apply for?"

And you answered.

"... Ah, I see. That's a pretty prestigious one for the field of study you wanted to do, right?"

My question was left hanging and the conversation faded for a moment. We weren't going to the same universities, and a few moments later you explained that you were moving away, too.

I gave a laugh. "Ah, well, I support you 100... no, 200 percent on your choice! You're going to be great...! I believe in you, it's all the more reason I should work just as hard as you."

You quickly asked if I was okay. You already knew how I felt. Years together doesn't account to nothing gained, after all.

"I'm alright...! Just a little sad that we won't see each other as often." I kept smiling. "And don't apologise! We made these choices for a reason, so we should trust in them! Look, I'll even see you off on the day you move, how about that?"

You nodded. And that moving day came more quickly than I thought, especially with how you were moving away before school ended, for the time to settle in your new area. We couldn't even see each other as much during that time because the end of year became busy with preparations for next year and your moving plans. I would sometimes help you out with your moving plans, and with how much I care for you that was probably enough for me to keep myself together until the day you were to leave. Otherwise I'd stay around school. You stood opposite of me, my family and your family at the train station. All my mind was focusing on was the air between us and how I would not be able to feel that the same anymore. I smiled for you.

"Take care! I'll miss you." We went in for an embrace. "I hope I'll get to see you in person again."

You agreed, and we made a promise to work hard.

"You're right, we'll have to do well in university so we can be proud when we see each other again!"

After saying goodbyes with our families and shedding a few tears, you stepped in the train door. As soon as I knew it you were gone. I kept smiling for you, though.

It wasn't until a week later that it hit me, that schoolmates found me slightly tearing up at my realisation on what I lost. For the moments I spent with you seemed to be more precious to me than I thought.

***

I sat back down on the hammock and continued reminiscing, and soon as I knew it, the afternoon had transitioned into evening. When I woke up the warm colours that bounced around the treehouse room were no longer dancing. Darkness took its place.

Just like what happened with you, right?

My attention was diverted to the blanket that was laid on top of me. That wasn't there before. I then looked at the table where I placed the romance book. Now on top of it was a covered plate of curry and rice with some cutlery. I seems like my mom was in here earlier.

The summer evenings were warm... I went to turn the treehouse lights on and boy did I forget how beautiful they were. A string of round fairy lightbulbs lit up around the treehouse, not leaving a single corner dark. The marigold-yellow glow set the mood just like the natural sunset did. To add on I turned on some real music box tunes.

"Now, this is a mood." I grinned.

I ate dinner in silence and with a blank state of mind. If someone were to look into my mind they would see a blank canvas with. The warm summer air was calming.

Eventually regaining full consciousness of my mind, I remember what I was thinking about. You.

If only I could contact you somehow.

Carefully stepping my way down the rope ladder with the plate in one hand, I walked back into the house, feeling the grass between my toes.

"Welcome home. You spent quite a while in there today. You're usually in the house, though." My mom was washing up.

"Y-yeah. I feel asleep."

"Aha, I could see that. Did you finish your food?"

"Yes, I did. Thank you, mom, it tasted good, as always."

She smiled back.

"Oh and, a letter came in for you. It's on the table over there."

"A letter?"

Mom didn't answer but she kept smiling.

Before I ripped open the envelope there was something on it that caught my eye.

"They used a sticker for a stamp. I wonder how this got through the mail, though the most likely possibility here is that they delivered this by hand..."

Just then I heard a familiar voice from beyond our front door. I quickly opened the front door to find you leaning in to ask if we wanted to hang out in the treehouse. Oh, there was only one valid answer here. I smiled too wide.

What a nice Summer surprise.

July 14, 2020 07:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.