0 comments

Drama Fiction Romance

 ***CRASH ***BOOM***EXPLOSION*** 

*******BLINDING LIGHT*******




Carol woke with a jolt. She had been in a deep sleep, having tossed and turned for many hours. She had finally dropped off into a land that appeared to offer some respite from the many woes that plagued the poor woman.


She lay breathless, wondering if the city had been attacked by some foreign enemy who was systematically bombing neigbourhoods. As she gathered her wits and looked out the bedroom window, she realized what was going on. During the night while she slept, a huge storm had rolled in off the western front. It built and gathered energy, it’s dark, angry clouds unleashing their fury. The ragged, jagged shards of lightning forked their way to the ground. Each electrically charged missile hit the earth, or whatever object crossed it’s path as it sought that place of grounding.


The prairie town Carol called home, had been laid siege by a relentless heat wave. Daytime temperatures reached into the 40’s Celsius and only cooled down marginally each night. These temperatures went on for almost two weeks and the buildup became unbearable.

Everyone was cranky, few people ventured out of the confines of a room cooled by fans, closed blinds and if you were rich enough, air conditioners. People fled to malls and other buildings that provided cooled air, hoping for a brief respite from the relentless heat.

Tempers ran short and exposure to other humans became a hazardous adventure, for who knew what small act or thoughtless word would spark a dangerous confrontation.


It took only a short time for Carol to realize that the electrical transformer behind her house had taken a direct hit from a bolt of lightning. The resulting explosion had created much damage to the neighbourhood, including a small fire in a nearby garage and complete power outage for the entire grid. After checking that her own home was safe, she decided to settle back down in her bed and hoped to get a few more hours of sleep before dealing with the coming day.


No such luck. Her attempts to soothe a rattled brain were for naught and so she simply gave in to her most vexing problem, the one that pushed all others beneath the surface and claimed hold to most of her thoughts.


Carol had been in love with a man for several years, a deep strong yearning that defied logic and other rational thought.

The object of her adoration was a rather dubious character who went by the name of George.

Carol lusted after him obsessively and George, though he often appeared to play the game, had a unique talent for leading Carol on. He also possessed an uncanny skill to set out just enough bait to lure Carol into continuing the game of chasing him.

The big complication for Carol and George was...his mother, Georgia. She and her son had a very twisted relationship and Carol knew from early on that to win George, she would somehow have to win Georgia.


In the beginning, it was only the son who had caught Carol’s attention. That attention turned quickly to obsession and once aroused she was single minded about her intentions.

It was rather cut and dry. Carol wanted George, Carol pursued George. George resisted, playing the game just enough to stay out of her grasp, Carol chased harder. She pined, moaning and groaning to others about the tragedy of unrequited love and the terrible angst of being caught in its web.


If only the situation were so simple as unrequited love, things might have gone on the same for a long time. But of course, rarely does love, of any kind, stay simple.


Carol, in her attempts to snare George, began a campaign to win over his mother. The plan went a little too well and Carol found herself entertaining thoughts about the woman that both puzzled and titallated her at the same time. As much as she lusted after the son, Carol found herself gazing at Georgia and...wondering.


Although she was not averse to the lures of the female species, Carol actually preferred men. Georgia, in her late eighties was an attractive woman and few people would ever have guessed her age. Carol at almost seventy was not blind to Georgia's assets and the two had many things in common. Her keen eye began to imagine a life with Georgia that did not include the son.


Things might not have changed had George been a little more astute.

Had he paid closer attention he would’ve noticed that Carol was beginning to lose interest. Her gradual switch of interest might not have happened had George seen the writing on the wall more clearly. Though not a stupid man he nonetheless lacked certain skills. Chief amongst these was his inability to court a woman.

Oh he could be charming and not above participating in sexual banter that dazzled and charmed women into believing him to be a romantic. It was a shallow act at best.

Where he fell completely short of the mark was in sustaining any momentum gained while in the heat of the initial pursuit.

Carol wasn’t sure if George was simply lazy, or harboured some other more serious character defects. His reluctance to engage her enticements both aroused and annoyed her at the same time. In one moment, she would swear never to see him again, the next found her at his door with some flimsy excuse fabricated to spend time with him.

One of the things she loved the most about him was his rather plump body. He was somewhat shorter than the average male and and about seventy pounds heavier than what the medical standards dictated to be an ‘ideal weight’ for a male of his height and age. Carol found great comfort in the soft cushion of his rolls and the pillow of his rather large belly made for a perfect resting place for her head. When he gently stroked her hair, she’d fall into a deep trance-like state of happiness.

She had a slight problem. That problem being that she was quite slight. Since childhood, she’d been chronically underweight and had a difficult time keeping meat on her bones.

On occasion, she’d taken on lovers of a similar body type to her own, but always ended up with bruises and sore spots from the friction of bone on bone. Sexual contact with other ectomorphs rarely rendered the experience pleasurable. No, Carol definitely preferred men of the endomorphic persuasion and George certainly fit the bill.


Carol should have known trouble lurked around the corner when she met George’s mother, Georgia.

George was a male version of the woman who had created him and though separated by twenty-one years, looked remarkably like her twin.

What caught Carol’s attention and attraction for the mother, was Georgia’s breasts. Large and pendulous, they far surpassed those possessed by George. Her stomach, though by no means flat, was somewhat less rotund than Georges. Her breasts were an entirely different matter. Carol longed to sink her face into those massive orbs. She dreamed of hard nipples on the milky mounds. Silky, soothing , suckling pleasure.

Carol was torn - boobs or belly?

In the final run, belly won out. Well, more to the point , George’s penis turned the trick. Carol definitely preferred a penis to a pussy and her fantasy of switching her obsession from son to mother vanished. She returned full force to her pursuit of George.


Her preference for George, once established, gave her a slight edge. 

For one thing, she began more carefully to observe the relationship between mother and son. Carol had sensed early on that there was something slightly off kilter between the two, and though she first chalked it up to jealousy on the mother’s part, knew that a darker thread ran through the fabric.

She had mistakenly thought that Georgia might be her ally in capturing the heart of her unmarried, 65 year old son.

Not so.

In fact, Georgia’s instructions often included, “You leave him alone Carol, he’s busy.” Once when Carol had been going on about all the things she loved about George, his mother gruffly responded with, “He’s not perfect you know!”

Carol jokingly relayed this conversation to George, who smacked his head with the palm of his hand and replied, “Man, mom, you’re not helping me out here!” Carol agreed.

Georgia and Carol continued to build a friendship, with Carol secretly hoping this would forge a bridge to a deeper bond with George. Despite the futility of her plans, she refused to give up.

She ignored many disturbing clues that would've caused most to run. The fact that George lived with his mother was only the tip of the iceberg. The fact that they referred to one another the same way as husbands and wives did gave Carol cause for concern, but she hung on anyway.

Much of Georgia's conversations were peppered with, "George and I did this, George and I are going here, I'll have to check with George."

Carol thought her discomfort was just the result of jealousy. She hid from herself the reality that something more intense, and sick was going on.


Eventually, the end came with a rather vivid piece of drama.

Georgia and Carol were sitting in the kitchen, both adoringly listening to George as he expounded on one thing or another. Most of his conversations were littered with references to what a ‘shit show’ his life was and all the things that made his life a hardship.

The two women, quite blind to his rather large imperfections, gazed up at him with unbridled admiration. Their adoration seemed to cancel the absurdity of George's complaints and so he dropped deeper and deeper into a rant about all his troubles.

Then, much to Carol’s astonishment, Georgia rose from her chair, walked over to where George was leaning back against the counter, turned her back to him and insidiously began easing her body over his extended leg.

What happened next seemed like a dream to Carol.

Her first thought was, “This is NOT happening, you are imagining it” as Georgia began to hump her son’s leg.

The shocked look on George’s face spoke volumes as he roughly pushed Georgia away with a stern, “What on earth are you doing mom?”

Georgia, shook her head in confusion and proceeded to the stove to turn the kettle on, acting as though nothing out of the ordinary had occurred.

Amazingly, the moment just vanished and the three continued on as though the humping scene had not occurred.

However, the image remained indelibly etched in Carol's brain. This act gave her permission to begin a much deeper questioning of a relationship she’d known for a long time held a large degree of toxicity.

She began to observe George more carefully, realizing that his ‘shit show’ was really not something she wanted in on.

His allure and attraction still continued to hold her attention, but the edge had been removed.

The humping act had somehow cleared away obstacles. It was as though dark clouds that had blinded her, suddenly disappeared and she knew that brighter days lay ahead. She knew that the pain of ending the relationship was an ordeal she would survive and that somehow rainbows would appear again and a life without George OR Georgia was a possibility.

Carol lay in her bed, in the dark room and slept, a beautiful, peaceful sleep.


May 07, 2021 03:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.