5 comments

American Fantasy Urban Fantasy

Holy Moly was the first thought that popped into young Tobias’ mind as he spied the little man walking through the hallway of the fine hotel.

Tobias had seen more than you might expect considering his young age. But he had not seen something like this before.

He had already seen a historical day in the unseasonal Snowfall that happened this afternoon. It was only mid-June and yet it had snowed  in the city for several hours. And now; if he wasn’t mistaken, he had to be one of the first to see an actual fairy in the city.

He was only 10; but was no longer in school because ever since his father had gone to the Great War and not returned, it had been up to him to help his Mum support the family. He had five younger siblings and his Mum worked two jobs, but still needed help, so Tobias had taken on the role of bread winner to help the family.

Tobias was a bootblack of uncommon skill. It was something that his father had shown him at a younger age: and he had taken a “shine” to. He was very detail oriented and patient; and would take the time necessary to ensure that any footwear he was given, would be returned with a mirrors’ sheen. Tobias also added a touch of bacon grease to his soaps that gave an added shine; and had the advantage of giving the shoes a slight, pleasant aroma.

Tobias saw a lot because he travelled about the city shining boots and shoes and occasionally other leather goods like saddles. He had more than a few regular customers because many people told him that he was a wizard with a rag and polish.

Despite his young age, Tobias was able to significantly help the family out with his earnings so that they did not end up in the poor house. He and his family ate well and regularly: and this was due in no small part to Tobias’s skill with a rag.

People also liked to talk while he worked on their footwear; especially, as was often the case, if they were wearing said shoes while Tobias plied his craft. Maybe because he was young; or maybe because people perceived a common bootblack as unimportant, Tobias was often told things that his customer would not have told another living soul.

Some of these things included a variety of dalliances, some petty crime, and even something bordering on sedition. Tobias thought that perhaps one of the reasons people requested his services over and over was not just because of his skill with rag and polish; but because of the almost confessional nature of some of his interactions with his customers.

So, while he had seen some things you would not expect a 10 year old boy to have witnessed; he was pretty sure that not many in the city had laid eyes upon an actual fairy.

He could tell that the diminutive figure was not just a small man. Tobias recalled a photograph in his grandads’ row house, and a story his grandad used to tell about meeting little man General Tom Thumb; when the famous little man was touring the countryside. Tobias himself had seen a little person when the fair had toured the city last fall; and the small figure flitting through the hallway, though a little smaller than the others with which he had limited experience, was definitely something different.

It wasn’t just the way the figure was dressed: almost like a costumed doll from a century or two gone by. It was partly the fact that the little -man- made no sound when he moved; and partly it was the way Tobias felt when looking on the small figure.

Tobias instinctively wanted to follow the small figure; but it also looked like he was going in the same direction that Tobias needed to go anyway. The little man was heading in the direction of Mr. Penrose’s office. Tobias was here at the hotel to visit that same office. He had been there earlier in the day turning Mr. Penrose’s shoes into twin mirrors and was the one who had told the Enterprise boss about the snowfall because Penrose had been engrossed in the daily paper. When Tobias had said “Mr. Penrose sir, it’s snowing”. The older gentleman hadn’t even looked up from his paper. He had simply said “don’t be silly lad, it’s only mid-June”. That much was true; but it was still snowing, and as such, had to be a historic day of sorts for the city.

The plush office of the head of the Enterprise that ran the West Side of the city was several floors up; and there were a fancy Lift, complete with a uniformed Lift Attendant. The little, queerly dressed gentleman was steering clear of the Lift. Instead he was heading towards the stairway.

He wasn’t sure how he knew; but Tobias had the feeling that the little man didn’t quite trust the Lift, or at the very least he didn’t like it.

Tobias hung back and followed the little fellow as quietly as he was able. They went up several flights of stairs and didn’t encounter any other guests or employees of the hotel. This was not strange because it was a little later in the evening and this part of the city was quiet and respectable.

And speaking of respectable; Tobias himself was dressed as fancy as he could be, in his Church clothes in fact. This was because he actually had a business question to ask of Mr. Penrose. That question was the reason young Tobias had intentionally left a brush and tin of polish next to the settee where earlier this afternoon he had polished the dark worn Brogans of Mr. Penrose. This way he had a reason to return.

Tobias held back for about 15 seconds after the little fellow reached the floor where the Enterprise office was; and then made his way towards the heavy, ornate door that was almost always open.

Truth be told; that door gave him the willies. It was heavy, dark, and ornately carved. Tobias heard from one of the lift attendants who was a little boy back when the brick was a secret weapon, that no one in the hotel knew where the door had come from: it was just always there.

As Tobias got nearer to the door; which was mere moments after the little man had stepped into the room, he noticed a bloody hand print on the door. That did not help with the whole creepiness of the portal.

The young bootblack was almost at the door and heard the little man speak for the first time; in fact, it was the only noise the fairy had made since Tobias first spotted him on the ground floor. Tobias did not catch what the small figure said, but did hear a soft, high voice coming from it.

What young Tobias did hear clearly right after was a familiar voice; it was Mr. Penrose, saying “What the Hell!”

This surprised the bootblack because everyone knew that the head of the Enterprise did not care for vulgar language, so everyone refrained from using it in front of him. At least the smart ones did.

Tobias poked his head into the room and was surprised to see everyone standing near the middle of the room and looking towards the doorway.

The boy was even a little more taken aback that the small fellow had been pointing right at where Tobias ended up in the doorway: how did he even know Tobias had been following him.

“This young fella wants to have a word with you Penrose”, the little fellow said out loud in a high, soft voice. As he spoke, the small figure winked slyly at Tobias. The little gesture made Tobias feel…like you imagine a puppy feels when his master comes home from the end of a long day at work. If Tobias possessed a tail, it would have been wagging.

“That’s all right Mr. Penrose sir”, Tobias spoke, “I can come back cause it looks like you’re busy”.

Penrose looked about to speak when Pecht spoke up “Nonsense lad!” The Pixie continued with “you tell old Penrose what brings you here”. The small figure winked at him again and said, “you sneaking about after me, we can keep to ourselves”; although the Pixie said that part out loud, so Tobias wasn’t sure how that was a secret since all the other people in the office could not help but to hear it.

Tobias looked to the Enterprise leader and then over to the two large men on the far side of the room. When he looked on them he was taken aback because both large men had a lot of blood on their clothes. It was Teague, and Gerald cleaning themselves with towels and water from a basin that now held a lot of pink water. Gerald’s clothing looked like he had been dunked in blood. Tobias actually shivered.

"Don't worry lad", Penrose told the boy, "Teague and Gerald are ok; though I do believe the reason Gerald is with us is because of Master Peck".

The pixie gave a sly smile and said "Pecht will do old boy". 

Penrose asked the pixie, "is Pecht your given name, or your surname?"

Teague knew that Penrose had a penchant for addressing people by their given name; so was not surprised at his employers' inquiry.

Pecht's response was simply "Yes!".

Penrose's face darkened briefly and then he said "as you will Pecht".

Penrose pointed over to the settee where Tobias had left his equipment earlier in the day, and asked "Is that why you left your gear here this afternoon? so you would have a reason to come back and speak to me?"

Tobias replied; "yes sir Mr. Penrose, i have a business question".

"indeed", Penrose said.

"But that's before i saw the fairy, i mean Pecht", Tobias said.

Pecht looked a little distressed at being referred to that way; and everyone was a little surprised when Gerald blurted out, "he's no fairy Tobias, he's a Pixie! and those two folk don't get along."

Tobias noticed Teague slowly nodding his head as Gerald spoke, and Gerald continued with "it's like the Chinese and Japanese".

Pecht's eyebrow rose at this and he spoke in his high soft voice, "you know Gerald, it is kind of like that"

"Sorry, Mr. Pecht" the boy offered; but the Pixie waved him off.

"no harm lad", Pecht said, "tell old Penrose what you came here for".

Penrose nodded his head in assent and said "Go ahead Tobias; what brings you here, beside your brush and polish".

"well Mr. Penrose Sir" Tobias started, "i wanted to talk to you about a property you have on 3rd avenue, and the side building of that property".

"Yes," Penrose said, "i know the property, and the side building".

"Well sir" the young bootblack said, "I was hoping to use it for a shine stand; and hoping that it would be ok with you?"

Penrose's brow furrowed momentarily, then he spoke, "Young Tobias, i am not in the habit of having business dealings with children".

Tobias looked a bit crestfallen, but Penrose continued; "i know about your situation, and about your father not coming home. We lost too many good men to that dreadful war". 

Tobias noticed that Teague in particular lowered his head when Penrose mentioned the Great War.

Penrose spoke again,"i know that you have taken the role of man of the house for your family; so i will treat you as such."

Tobias's expression brightened at this. the boy said "i was thinking that maybe i could pay you a percentage of my earnings Mr. Penrose sir".

Penrose nodded his head in the negative and said "that won't do young Tobias". The enterprise head continued "you can use the side building for your own purposes; and the only thing i will accept is that you will take care of my footwear in perpetuity"

Gerald looked confused at this statement. the bruiser often got a similar look on his ruddy face.

Tobias spoke up; "Purple who?"

Pecht, spoke up in his soft, high voice; "he means forever lad."

"Oh!" the boy said. "I think that sounds keen Mr. Penrose sir". the boy smiled and shook hands with the enterprise leader.

The pixie spoke up" see there lad, that wasn't so hard"

"thank you Mr. Pecht" Tobias said. "i guess i best be getting home"

"it was a pleasure to meet you Mr Pecht", the boy said as he started to go.

Pecht smiled at the boy and said, "the pleasure was mine lad."

the pixie spoke as the boy was starting to leave: "maybe you and your lads can help with a fairy problem i'm having".

everyone in the room looked surprised; here they had met a real live Pixie who now was talking about another being literally out of a fairy tale.

Penrose spoke up. "what kind of problem is that?"

Pecht said:"you know i really don't care for fairies; i would dare say that maybe i hate them: except now i'm in love with one"

Penrose and Tobias both blurted out; "what the hell!"

February 13, 2021 02:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Beth Connor
15:53 Mar 23, 2021

The more I read your stories, the more these characters grow on me- I was grinning at the end. You have a great gift of marrying the whimsical with realism. It reads like an old-time crime story- then all of a sudden the pixie is in love with a fairy- but it ties together beautifully. One of my favorite parts was when Pecht answers "yes" to the 'or' statement. I have been swamped with tasks this last week, and your stories have been the perfect interlude. Looking forward to more. (Allthough tomorrow I have a couple hours set aside just...

Reply

John Del Rio
16:09 Mar 23, 2021

I am glad you are enjoying them. I hope you enjoy them as much as I am enjoying your work. I am trying to set the feel of old timeyness(is that a word?). I am working on a story titled "Cornish Heath". It takes place concurrently with what's going on in Mr. Penrose’s office during "Tobias" , and the other stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Del Rio
21:07 Mar 23, 2021

I just submitted another chapter/story. Titled "Cornish Heath"

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kathleen `Woods
14:50 Oct 26, 2021

The use of fairly old terminology regarding shoes was nice, really kept me attentive while sewing. I didn't catch anything odd as far as description choice otherwise. I still smile a bit whenever the size of these guys is brought up.

Reply

John Del Rio
17:09 Oct 26, 2021

The story does take place around 1925...hence the old timey descriptions of things like shoes, and motor coach.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.