My sweet, sweet day off

Submitted into Contest #7 in response to: Write a story with a child narrator.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

Knock, knock!


The man, whose I opened the door to, was Dad. People describe him as a popular guy with ladies. I think he is a middle-aged guy, who wears weird clothes, that are for teens or college kids. Weird or not, he is my father! I didn’t choose him. 


As I pulled the door, he entered the house and he said, "Ready for the trip? Kids?"

"Daddy," my little sister jumped on him.

"Hey," he caught her on air and hugged her tight. Dad noticed me near the door and called, "Hey, champ'. We're going to make it a great day, you know."


< If you're alien that would explain a lot.>


I nodded. If I had a 10 cent for every time dad did that “glad” face, I would be as rich as Donald Trump. And I can’t count that much. I am still in 3rd grade.

On that day, Mom allowed Dad to take us on a picnic day. The trip followed a hilly road and a lot of those spiky plants, that were called ferns. I really like those. Plants help our planet, because they release oxygen, that we breathe every second. I know that because I am a naturalist. That why I like those green hills. I mean, who doesn't like clean air, and being away from noise. Even though every horror movie is played in remote part of a forest or somewhere with any kind of authority around. 


I feel bad about the Amazon Rainforest. Why did it have to burn? We should consider the environmental issues as a red code. Once, I told my friends about it, and they laughed at me. They called me a Eco-Nerd. Is that supposed to insult me? Since being aware of environmental issues is considered nerdy? Aside from nature issues, I care about many important things. Now, I am worried about a lot:


Why is Dad taking us out? Is this an attempt to win us over? Does Mom know that? Why was she calm? Will they get together in the end? Are they going to be separated, like... forever? Will it be a promising day or not?

Dad stopped the car at a gas station, where a convenience store happened to be near. 

“We are stopping here for a bit. Does anyone need to go to the bathroom?” Dad asked Mia and me.

“We’re good.”

“I'm going to buy something." Mom said. "You want to stay here?”

“Yep,” my sister added.


Dad went out for a smoke, and Mom went to buy some snack so Mia's tummy wouldn’t get upset later.Dad went out for a smoke, and Mom went to buy some snack so Mia's tummy wouldn’t get upset later.


“Tom! Look at that.” 

“What is it?” 

“Are those boys kissing each other?”

“It seems like that.”

“Why?”

“They must like each-other. Stop watching, it's rude!"

“Is true that everyone can love whoever they want?” 

 “Well, we live in a world when you can do whatever you want, as long as you don't do anything really bad.”


“Oh!”

“Soon, you will be as old as me. Nothing should astonish you.”

“How is possible you know everything?”

I smiled. I love it when my sister looks at me with admiration.

“No, I know something you asked me about.”

Dad entered the car after Mom. 

“Here’s are your chips, Miush,” Mom told her and turned to me. “Tomas, are you feeling good?”

“Just a little tired,” I told her.

“Sleep for a bit. Try to sleep.”

I nodded and closed my eyes, struggling to make my position comfortable for me.

My Mom’s voice woke me up. I was seeing a dream. Something about a forest and some people called Chocolate Pride Knights.


***

For some reasons, weekdays  were the only  days, when we could see Dad. The last few weeks we weren't seeing each other, though... but he had promised and here we were.


We got out of the car and with canisters in hand we climbed to the top of the hill, where we decided to rest. Mom had a serious look, as she laid the blanket on the grass, while we patiently kept waiting the meals.  


I tried to behave better than usual. My sister was doing the same. She had braided her own hair this morning and dressed herself. Mom had prepared the cake, sandwiches and fruit juice. She had put on make-up, wore her casual clothes, like on those days she wants us to have fun. I don't know much about appearance self-care, but she looks more beautiful when she smiled than when she wore make-up.  Her yellow locks  were like pure gold, a lovely asset of her that was very different from Dad's shaved head. A handsome man who couldn't have any scarcely matter aside work and family, I think. But when he didn't think about  these things, what was he thinking about then? Or did he not think at all?


We were expecting that there would be  other families picnicking, but no. It was  just us and... please, who would come in at the end of the month for a picnic.


That's what I am talking about. Mom's sandwiches were just as delicious as the last time I tried them. Even her velvet cake can only be surpassed on by Grandma's raspberry biscuits. And Grandma's  cookies  had won a prize in the competition, held at the fair for years. Last year was her cake. Mrs. Hamilton voted for Mom's cake.  The funny thing is that the last time Mom and Mrs. Hamilton met they threw eggs and tomato sauce at each other.  Women are  funny.

My sister watched the hardworking ants as they were taking cake crumbs her to their anthill. Mom talked to Dad, who was silent and probably were thinking about something else.


I had an interesting book with me, which I intended to read. Its title was "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". A friend of mine recommended it to me.


"Let's play," my little sister called.

"Go after her," Mom told me.


I run after her as we flew our kites down the grassy hill. The soil smelled nice. I like the windy days because I can wear warmer clothes. I enjoy my days off. I like my little sister. You know my sister once stabbed me with a fork when I had accidentally hurt her hamster - Mr. Putter? Mee too! I would prefer to walk on liquid soap and not anger her.

"I think there is a dragon here," my sister 

called.

"Dragon?"

"Yes, and it's called Drag."

"Is she a queen?"

"No, dragons are all men."

"How so?"

"Only boys are stupid enough to break witches' heart."

"You got the point.”

 We stayed like that, laying on our back seeing the sky and talking about  little things that worry us, but are too unimpressive to complain about.


"Children," Mom called us.

"We're coming," we yelled at the same time. 

We got up and started running as we were racing. Who arrived first? Who came up with the idea, you say? Of course she did. I have asthma, and I shouldn't force myself. My breathing becomes more frequented, and I cough like crazy.

"Next week let's go to Grandma's,”  Mom  suggested.

"Yes to the Cookie Grandmother,"  my sister  called. 

Nenna lives alone and we visit her often in the retirement home.  It's true she has her  friends there. They knit scarfs together, but is the family who give you the warmth?

September 19, 2019 20:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.