1 comment

Adventure Urban Fantasy Fiction

Dark Nights In Cincy

Somewhere in near future.

“It would appear that the earth has been having a wave of Meteor Showers. Though a lot is in question, the Cincinnati Observatory and NASA have this to report.....Static...Static”

As a series of meteors strike the electrical grid in the Greater Cincinnati area, this late summer day. In the distance some people start to rise up and panic as the meteors have done

damage to the electrical grid/ Backup generators at University of Cincinnati and St. Elizabeth Healthcare are working sporadically but the damage to the electrical grid is worse than expected. The Hamilton County and Northern Kentucky Fire Rescue teams continue to work overtime as a result of this unexpected series of events.

Concerned for the people of Cincinnati, the Ohio State police and Kentucky State Police have ordered their officers to wear riot gear from the pandemonium developing from this series of events. Both agencies have called the governor's office to call in the National Guard to assist in first responder operations.

Driving through the streets of Cincinnati, Agent Mitchell and his team of Division 7 commandos help with local law enforcement this late summer day. Passing through herds of national guardsmen and riot dressed law enforcement, their black plum SUV continues its patrol with flashing red and blue lights. “This is certainly not what I expected this Labor Day weekend, Badge. I was hoping for a cold beer and time to watch the fireworks show not patrol the streets of Cincinnati for trouble.” Comments the dark haired Reese Williams wearing Stetson hat and urban combat fatigues.

“Its only for a few days Reese, I'm sure Duke Energy will have the things running again by next weekend to reschedule the fireworks show.” replies Agent Robert ”Badge Mitchell wearing similar fatigues but without a Stetson.

“Easy for you to say Boss, I was looking for a good Kraut Dinner this weekend with your special Goetta taste.” Comments the short man known as Nebraska Jones a recent team member out of the BIA Tribal Police. Nebraska is a small Native American dwarf who

has a unique talent of using arcane and divine spells in his criminal investigations. “ Besides Johnny lucked out and went back home to visit his sister and future brother in law.

“Quit, Complaining Yanks, we all know this is just one of the many events crowding our world with the unknown.” replies Dr. Kayla Shaw the female team medic and forensic pathologist of the team. An Australian woman who has dark blonde-brown hair after finding out that her black hair was not for her though she still has a streamline of black hair beneath her current hair style.

“Missy, you are so righteous when you talk,” comments Nebraska.

“Badge, I think, the dwarf is hitting on me.”

“Nebraska, behave yourself.” orders Mitchell

“Any cars this is 311 Keith, need assistance by the ballpark people are starting to try and l loot both ball parks. Request immediate backup ASAP.” a voice claims over the radio.

“Keith 311 this is Plum 12 we will be there in five minutes.”

“Thanks Plum 12, its a mess down here.”

Reese pulls up speed as Mitchell turns back and looks at his team. “Nebraska get our riot shields ready it looks like our night is not going to be peaceful.”

“Understood, Missy I guess you better get the stun weapons ready.”

“Rubber Bullets and Tasers on the go.” Comments Kayla as she loads a pair of taser rubber bullet shotguns. “I'll get my medical kit ready as well in case any lawmen have been wounded in the riots.” .

The black plum SUV storms through the streets of downtown Cincinnati to assist the call for help.”

Stadium Rocks

Pulling up quickly at the main parking areas of the Great American Ballpark and Paul Brown Stadium. Mitchell and his team see complete disarray as citizens storm both ballparks and carrying all types of goods from bags of popcorn to retail stuff from both gift shops. Storming out of the SUV the team raises their riot shields and stun batons to assist in the chaos developing at the sports stadiums..

Reese and Nebraska use their CO2 pump shotguns releasing a series of rubber bullets as rioters and looters causing chaos in the sports stadium grounds.

BAM BAM BAM

Moving closer the commandos attempt to control the chaos but notice an odd maddened look in the eyes of some of the looters. Their eyes are crimson blood red and some have fangs some of the ghouls are leaning over the non-ghouls who are fighting to not be infected whatever pestilence has brought these ravenous Undead to the real world. Mitchell spots the changes and raises his Desert Eagle .50 caliber pistol and takes aim at some of the creatures. ”Nebraska, Reese switch to HCS rounds there are Famine Ghouls in the looters.”

“Famine Ghouls...how in the hell is that possible Badge?” comments Reese as he switches over to a DP-12 pump action combat shotgun.

“I wish I knew. Nebraska do your thing.”

“On It Chief.”

Nebraska, raises his hands and releases a series of cards that opens a portal behind some of the famine ghouls which

sucks in the famine ghouls in the blue white portal . Kayla joined by Mitchell now armed with Nebraska DP-12 shotgun covers her as she provides emergency aid to some of the victims of the famine ghouls. Several of the injured start to have seizures as the famine ghoul venom enters the blood of the victims. “I don't know if I can keep the wounded in good shape I never faced this poison that is afflicting these people, Robert.”

“Do what you can, we will contact Dr. Jinn once we get out of this red zone.”

“Sergeant, get over here and help Dr. Shaw with the injured with your basic first aid training.”

Yes Sir.” The SWAT police officer medic who carries an orange trauma bag similar to the one used by Kayla.

The looters begin to disperse as Reese, Mitchell and Nebraska continue to take down the famine ghouls before they cause more harm with their poison.

Several Life First Blackhawk helicopters set down as UC Triage units are put up quickly due to the high number of injured.

A pair of paramedics a black man and white man dressed in black plum combat fatigues arrive over at Kayla and the others. Both men carry trauma bags and pull out syringe guns to assist the troubled Kayla.

“Hey Badge, I heard you needed some help so Gurney and I were in the neighborhood, what do you got?”

“The civilians have been infected by famine ghouls please tell me you have an anti-toxin in your bags.”

Both Gurney and Triage lean down adjust their syringe guns and inject them in the necks of the victims. ”This stuff will temporary hold the poison, Agent Mitchell but they will need to be flown back to D7 Command” comments the black paramedic.

“Get it done guys, Kayla go with Triage and Gurney. Reese, Nebraska and myself have some unfinished business in this mystery.”

“What are you guys going to do to not get hurt by the ghouls?”

“Triage, does this medicine have an effect on non-infected people like my team?”

“Its a temporary vaccine but you and your team may have some after effects but if I think I know what you are doing. One of us can go with you unless you want the rookie in our team.”

“You and Gurney help the others we will take the rookie of the team. Just tell him the side effects. We will get check out by Dr. Fox and Dr. Jinn when we get back.”

“Okay...Roll up your arms guys. Gurney you heard the man.” Triage and Gurney adjusts the syringe gun as the team is injected by the anti-toxin vaccine. Gurney uses his gun on a Hispanic female known as Caitlin Spades “Emergencia.”

Twenty minutes later

The black SUV pulls down to the lower dock area of Newport. Where a barge sits as members prepare to scare tourists for the upcoming Halloween season. The SUV pulls to a stop as the commandos exit out of the SUV. Nebraska hands out a series of SWAT SCUBA tactical weapons and gear given to each team member.

“So Badge, how did you know about this place if it is the home port of the famine ghouls?”

“I'm just remembering what Shaman and I were looking into a few months back. The only thing is we need to take a swim in the Ohio. Everybody Suit up.”

“I only know the basics Agent Mitchell, I'm not a certified diver.” comments the short haired brown-blonde hair Hispanic woman.

“Its Okay, Emergencia, I only know the basics as well.” Comments Mitchell as he turns to his second in command. “Reese you will take point since you are a former US Ranger and know the diving rules.”

“No sweat, Emergencia you go with me as your dive partner. Nebraska, I know you are not a fan of diving in the OH but you have more training than Badge and Emergencia.”

“What I wouldn't do for Shaman to be here with us?”

Watery Ways

Flanked by divers from Hamilton County Sheriff's Department and Kentucky State Police Divers. Mitchell and his team start to walk into the Ohio River dressed in their wet-suits where a waiting RHIB floats in the water. The KY State Police Pilot pulls the RHIB closer to sure and looks at Mitchell and his team.

“Agent Mitchell I'm Sergeant Welter of KY Fish and Wildlife how far in the Ohio do you want to go?” comments the black KY Fish and Wildlife Warden. In his Green BDUS.

“I'm told you worked with Gunner High-eagle and had a drop off point directed by him that's the location.”

“That's not far its about midway through the John Roebling Suspension Bridge. Hop aboard." As the team boards the RHIB. Ten minutes later the team arrives below the Roebling Bridge

“The Gunner entered that door here is the key to it why what's down there that we at KY Fish and Wildlife don't know about?”

“That's what we are going to find out.” Comments Mitchell as he takes the keys from the KY Fish and Wildlife officer. The team drops into the warm water of the Ohio. Swimming to a construction door used by the Public Water Utilities Commission.

Opening the door Mitchell and his team step one at a time into the watershed. “What High-eagle told me was that there is some unusual activity in this shed. Nebraska do your thing.”

Nebraska mumbles a few words and his eyes start to grow brighter. “There is definitely something down here chief. Raise your weapons.” The team raises their APS Amphibious Assault Weapons.

“Is it just me, Badge or are you seeing in the dark without the necessary gear?” comments Reese

“Its one of the side effects, Ranger Williams, we all have IR in our eyes temporary.” answers the rookie officer.

“IR, interesting, I take it bright lights will blind us like the normal goggles, Emergencia?”

“That's correct Agent Mitchell.

“OK than I guess we need to wear some Ray bans.” Comments Reese as he pulls some out of his weight belt. Mitchell and Emergencia also draw some aviator sunglasses while Nebraska

does not seem to be bothered by the IR vision since his life was raised as a dwarf in the mining hills of Nebraska.

Moving forward the team finds a glowing crimson brown portal ahead of them as a group of Famine Ghouls carry bounties to a large bloated Famine Ghoul man on a throne on the other side of the portal.

Ghouls Afloat

“My fellow Famine Ones I rejoice....Gurgle Gurgle...in your rewards as Famine Drowned Ones...Gurgle Gurgle.. We now can embrace our sacrifice to the Great Kraken Ward of America...Gurgle gurgle. Yells the large bloated Famine Ghoul Laird.in Hawaiian Shirt and shorts wearing sandals. Accepting the gifts from his followers. .

“Is this what you expected Agent Mitchell?” questions Emergencia

Mitchell shakes his head. “Far from it, Emergencia.”

“Do you have a plan, Chief?” asks Nebraska

“Reese what do you think?”

“This would be easier if we were above ground but this is something we rarely faced when I was a US Ranger, Nebraska I'm sure you have an idea you know this stuff better than Mitchell and me”

“I'm afraid Johnny is the priest type for this thing, I'm a arcane-divine hucksters.”

“Mitchell chews a piece of licorice before coming to an idea. “Emergencia go topside and call this number and you will talk with Dr. Jinn, who is our supernatural expert.” Mitchell hands over a business card to Emergencia. Who takes quickly and runs up the flight of stairs. .

Mitchell and the others raised their scoped assault rifles at the Famine Ghouls watching them with caution. “Lock and load with HCS Flechette Boys. Nebraska look in your book of card tricks for an answer to these things” Orders with a whisper to his team.

The team is joined back by Emergencia who slips down the stairs and is quickly spotted by a group of Famine Ones. The Famine Ghoul Laird orders his team “Bring that beauty of a Norm to me.” Seeing the threat approaching her Emergencia raises her hand gun and fires away at the advancing Famine Ones.

Bang Bang Bang

There goes our sneak attack.” Comments Mitchell as he storms out of his position and lays a round of Flechette shells at the advancing creatures of the night.

Whirl-Rat-Tat-Whirl

The Flechette shells pierces the bloated creatures . As they shriek in pain. The Shells pierce the bloated skin of the ghouls with accuracy.

“What is the meaning of this!” Yells the Hawaiian Shirt Famine Ghoul Laird

Seeing the situation Nebraska releases a series of divine light spells from his cards on the creatures causing sharp pain in their bloated skin. “Undead eat this.” The cards shriek as they pierce the bloated skin of the Famine Ghouls. The Famine Ghouls fall to the ground as the higher spiked cards harm the bloated Undead creatures.

“Fall back my followers. They have a priest among them. Flee with your hides. We must regroup” the Famine One Laird dives through a portal inside the throne room. Struggling to get off his throne. Several others dive through as well.

"Did we find what you wanted Agent Mitchell?'

“We still need to figure this out?” Comments Mitchell as he watches the portal close behind the last of the survivors.

“What do you want to tell Welter?”

“Simple Reese, we found a religious cult that was going to use the Fright barge as their religious shrine.”

"Easy enough, Chief but what about the lass?”

“She did fine but I am sure she was going to tell us how to handle those things. Am I right Emergencia?” Mitchell directly faces Emergencia and the others after their skirmish with the Famine Ones.

“I think what we did was what Dr. Jinn recommended.” Comments the embarrassed D7 Rookie Combat medic.

“Than lets get out of here and have some Goetta and Beer this labor day weekend.” Smirks Reese to the others

The End?

May 05, 2021 01:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

John Carpenter
10:08 May 10, 2021

Probably Cardinals fans.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.