0 comments

Funny Romance American

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Cupid Cat

My name is Roger Griff allow me to tell you a story of how I met my one true love. It all started when I woke up around five in the morning randomly during the week. I had a basic nine to five at a photo production warehouse down the street. After waking up and worried that if I went back to sleep I’d just end up sleeping in there by wasting my morning I got up. It was too early to getting ready for work or eating breakfast. And just playing video games would also cause me to waste my morning away. I was trying to be more cautious of my time now ever since I graduated college. I decided to go for a morning jog downtown towards the inner harbor and back. I lived in Baltimore, Maryland in a newly constructed apartment complex called Locus point. Once outside I started to go down my usual route which led me down a street full of restaurants, bars, nasty smelling sewage.

As I ran down the street enjoying the feeling of my lungs burning with cold air a peculiar sight made me stop in my tracks. It was a pink cat…well…pink and white was more like it. I know-I know it sounds…crazy right? A pink cat but, there it was staring back at me with those weird bright red eyes. From looks of it the breed of the cat was an…American shorthair if I remember correctly. As strange as it already sounds it got…well stranger to say least. I remember the cat smiling at me and nudging toward the alley as it started walking. “Does it want me to follow him?” I thought. I stood still for a moment deciding whether I should continue on and pretend like this never happened or should I follow it. Now you may not know this but, I do love cats so I decided to get my exercise in by chasing a pink cat. The cat ran down an alleyway that smelled like piss…like most alley ways do. The cat looking back started picking up speed as if challenging me.

I started picking up speed too not wanting to be beaten by the cat eventually I was in a full on sprint through the alley. Pretty soon we arrived on the other end of the alley which came up on the side walk the cat immediately snapped right upon exiting the alley. Like a blunder head I decided to do the same even sped up as to not lose the cat. “Aaaaa!” As soon as I turned the corner I run right into a woman. BAM! The minute I hit her both our bodies were sent crashing down. My head went smack dab right into her face. When I looked up, I noticed two things. One was that I may or may not chewed by this lady for basically headbutting her. And two the cat had disappeared.

“Oh shit! Sorry your nose is bleeding miss I-I didn’t mean to run into you like that.”

“Oh no problem happens all the time.”

“Really?”

“No God no if it did I’m pretty sure I’d need a nose job.” She said as she looked up at me.

“OH! Uh…wow.” She stared at my face in utter shock for a good minute…I was starting to get worried.

“Oh I-I’m sorry my names Olivia by the way. What’s your name if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Oh, uh Roger.”

“Nice to meet you Roger going for a morning jog huh?”

“Yea I…do that from time to time.”

“Going for a morning jog? Or running into woman?”

“Uh…a little bit of both.”

“Oh, so you’re a ladies’ man?”

“I mean I’m wooing you right?”

“I mean yea I could be wooed or I could feeling light headed due to all the blood you made me lose.”

“Thanks to me being a stud, right?”

“You know what? Sure. In fact, you’re such a stud that you knocked me off my feet before I even knew what hit me.”

The two of us shared a hardy laugh.

“Yea uh anyway I…gotta go I’ll see you around yea?” I said as I started jogging again.

“Sure, later.” I finished jogging went to work I spent the rest of the day thinking about Olivia she was such charming young woman. The next day I woke up early again though since that day was my rest day I decided to simply take the trash out. As I opened the back door stepping into the cold morning air there it was. The pink cat stood on my fence in all it’s pinkish glory. Staring me down as I put the trash in the trashcan. The cat once again nudge its head as started down the back alley to the north.

I decided to follow it once again this time the cat led me out of the alley and down the street. I wasn’t planning on doing another morning jog but, there I was. The cat suddenly stopped and turned facing a starbucks that had just opened. I remember looking at my watch confused that a starbucks was open at five in the morning but, whatever I went along with. When I had looked up from checking my watch the cat was gone. I swear the little guy should’ve been borne with black and grey fur with how many times it pulled the disappearing act.

I decided to go inside and rest my weary bones after running so hard. As I went in I look to my left to see none other than the woman I ran into the other day.

“Hey roger!”

“Hey…uh…uuuuh?”

“Are…you serious or is this another joke?”

“Uh…another…joke?”

“Okay-okay let’s do this then. My name kind of sounds like that famous restaurant Olive garden?”

“OH! Olivia. Heheh sorry.”

“Nah your good. So out jogging again?”

“Oh no just…uh…came here for some coffee.”

“Oh nice! A fellow coffee drinker.”

“Guilty as charged.”

‘Got any idea on what you’ll be having?”

“White peppermint mocha. Why are you buying? Or do you work here?”

“Buying. It’s on the house.”

“Thanks.”

She got us coffee and we both just sat and talked for about an hour while finishing our cups. When I got back though I noticed I had left the back door unlocked which got me robbed whoever came stole a whole PS5. Though strangely enough  I wasn’t as mad as I thought I would be honestly. The next day came and since it was my day off I decided to drive to a food lion up the street to get some groceries. I had to keep myself from ordering out every day or else I was never going to keep my figure. I driving when all of a sudden I feel a bump in the road and my car jumped. I stopped parking on the nearest spot in the street I didn’t remember there being a speed bump on that route so I had a pretty good idea what happened.

Jumping out of the car I noticed it immediately the pink fur muddled with blood. Without delaying any further in fear of it getting run over more I decided to pick it up. I went to my truck to get my gloves and my plastic bag. Yeah I know it sounds like I was awfully prepared for such a thing but, I…wasn’t the best driver soooo yea. As soon as I turned around the cat back up like nothing ever happened. I check the spot it was in a moment ago and sure enough it moved! I looked around wondering if anybody else saw what I saw. The cat meowed and started running down the street. I ran after it for a good thirty minutes making turns running down alley ways until on alley way we ran into two figures. One was a man, and the other was a woman. The woman had her back against the wall while the man was leaning on her.

As I got closer I noticed the woman was familiar not only that but, she was clearly uncomfortable. Finally the man looked toward me as a came withing ten feet of them.

“The hell are you huh!?”

“Roger! Babe!” I paused and looked behind me.

“Shit man! Sorry I-I didn’t know. She didn’t say anything.”

“Huh? She’s not my girlfriend.” I remember Olivia shooting me the nastiest look which made me recognize who she was. Although by the time I DID notice it was too late the man had already heard me and I felt even more stupid for not catching on. The man looked at her with an agitated look on his face.

“Damn baby if you ain’t want me ya coulda just said so!”

“Well word of advice from a woman. Next time you try to pick up someone try not invading their personal space okay? Makes us woman uncomfortable.”

“Tch! Man whatever.” The stranger walked away clearly very pissed the day was saved I did…nothing at all…like a true hero should.

“My hero glad to see you rushed in from stupid town this afternoon.”

“Hey to be fair that ploy came out of nowhere there’s no way anyone could’ve caught on to that.”

“Uh-huh anyway nice to meet you again.”

“Same. Hey…you mind giving me your number?”

“Sure.” With that we exchanged numbers and have been together ever since.

March 03, 2023 05:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.