0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Drama

A HUMAN ZOO

I am Jeff and my wife is Jay. It was her 60th birthday and that morning I drove her to a certain destination. There I said “This is my birthday gift to you: Unit 44 of SERENITY RETIREMENT HOME.” She was very surprised.

I said “I’m now 62 and we’re both senior citizens. Our son Bob has settled in distant New Zealand and our daughter Diana has made her home in Sweden. We need help to live on. That’s why I’ve invested on Unit 44.”

She said “I’ve always wanted to settle in my ancestral home.”

“But the place would’ve changed over the years. The old neighbourhood  would’ve been transformed.”

She was silent. I said “We’ve lived overseas most of the time after our wedding. We’ve come back and have to accept living here wherever convenient.”   

“I noticed a young couple in shorts running round 45 as we drove in.”

“This Home was built by a retired general of our army. A Turkish couple, Adin and Ayesha, it seems are the general’s friends and Unit 45 has been temporarily let out to them. Adin is a football champion and it seems was injured while playing the game. He is undergoing one of our indigenous treatments to be well again.”

After a moment of silence I said “Jay,I had studied every aspect about this Home. Shelter, food and security have been guaranteed. You must’ve noticed the sentry carrying the gun at the gate. I was told security is delivered 24x7 with total CCTV coverage. There is a medico living here who with 3 nurses cares for the health of the inmates on an everyday basis. I’ve come with necessities for a week. Let us try living here.”

“Okay. But I call it a human zoo.”

After three days in Unit 44, my wife said “I spoke to Derek today. He is the general’s batman. Derek does odd jobs for inmates like going to the bank or post office and such other needs which are not on line. A pleasant fellow!”

I asked “How do you find it here?”

“The food is good. I found the doctor and nurses going about as if we’re all in an ICU! The reading room has newspapers and magazines to interest all.”

“What did Derek say?”

“He said the general is trying to arrange a get together of 3 of the 8 complexes of the Home at the waterfall near the airport.”

“I’m not joining. You’ll also be unimpressed after having seen Niagara for months. If Adin doesn’t join the trip, I’ll play bridge with him.”

She said “I’ll go as I like meeting people.”

“Go by all means. I’ve also a new book to read.”

“After the excursion the general is hosting a fondue for you and me. I hope you’ll attend that.”

“Okay for I would like to know more about the general and his views.”

Jay went in and came back again. She said “I told you I wanted the Rubens painting destroyed or given away.”

Once long ago we had entertained a Frenchman in Paris and he had presented us with the Rubens. It had a certificate in the French language which read something like this: This painting is one of the early works of Rubens. The identity of the model is unknown though Rubens had a Kiki as mistress before his marriage. It is believed she could be Kiki of Montparnesse. Rubens has portrayed her while she was nude in her bath. His signature on the painting is authentic. It was found in a gallery with various other works and was held by the gallery owner. During World War II the Nazis seized it and took it to Berlin. After the war it was discovered in the possession of a book vendor from whom I bought it. I have gifted it to Jeff with my regards.

I said “It’s a first class piece of work. Where is it now?”

She said “I’ve it in my bag. It is a shame that Rene Mouton presented it to us. Rubens has almost pictured what only a midwife or an obstetrician would see in the course of duty.”

“Can you bring it now?”

“I won’t let you see it again.”

I laughed and said “I remember it was given to us some time before Diana was born. Two years after Bob. It was that painting which spurred me on to….”

 ”I remember to what heights of passion that painting had sent you. I’ll set it on fire.”

I laughed and said “Don’t do that. I’ve a better idea. Let me give it to Adin The couple has been married two years but has yet to produce children.”

She was silent a few moments and then said “When the wife is there you get aroused seeing a harlot!  If she were alive I would tear her to pieces!” She swallowed her anger and said “Okay give the Rubens to Adin.”

“Bring it to me.”

“I won’t. I’ve left it covered with thick brown paper. I want you to hand it over in the same condition. I’ll bring it to you after Adin comes.”

Adin came the next day and we played bridge. Then he said “My treatment is over and I feel I’ve overcome the problem. We’re leaving on Friday.”

I said “I’m sorry you’re leaving. Playing against you has improved my game. Let me give you a small gift to remember me by.”

My wife came with an opaque plastic bag which I gave Adin. I said “Go to your unit and see what it contains.”

He said laughing “Many thanks.”

After an hour he came back and said “That was a nice gift you gave me! Of course I can’t hang it up but…… but…..” He saw Jay listening and didn’t complete what he wanted to say. But I could guess!

Adin said “My late father was a collector of watches. I have a Rolex watch from him which please accept.” He gave me a watch in its case emblazoned with the name. I thanked him for it.

A month later my son Bob broke his journey to Glasgow to see us. I showed him the Rolex saying “It is hand wound and gains half a minute a day. Perhaps requires oiling. I don’t know if there is anybody who can correct it here.”

Bob studied the watch and said “Despite the design and packing I suspect this is a duplicate. These types of watches are available cheap. May be Adin’s dad didn’t know about it. If I take this watch to a Rolex showroom, in all probability they will give me a receipt and send the watch to be destroyed under a road roller. You might as well keep it and correct it once in a while.”

The watch remains with me and is working well, but it reminds me more of Kiki contrary to what my wife thinks!

END

November 22, 2022 06:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.