4 comments

African American Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Only Five years old and taking care of her 4 and 3 year old brothers, Samyiha wanted nothing more but to go to school instead she's cleaning diapers. Her parents were out for three days straight doing or selling drugs. The days they were home she knew that something bad was going to happen that one bad move would lead to being beaten with a belt or threatened.

Nobody knew what was going on, she maybe went to school six times. She didn't know much, all she knew at that moment of being home was that she had to take care of her brothers and make sure they got to eat. She went to a corner school by her house and took a couple candy bars.  As they ate their bars she felt like it was horrible for their life to be like this.  She had always felt like this but she didn't want them to grow up with a family that didn’t care about them.

When the cops came to the house in the middle of the night and busted down their door they were scared, everyone screaming and crying. When the kids were put in the back of the cop car they were all crying until they got to the children's home. The thing was she was terrified she wouldn’t be able to find a family. She was always visiting her three year old brother Zymir. She was emotional and happy that they got out of the situation they were in. 

Walking  through the children's home she was worried that she and her brothers would never find a family that would want them. She went to her room and cried. Everyday she prayed that a family would come and bring her to a nice home with animals and great food. That the foster mom would tuck her in at night and read her bedtime stories and the foster dad who would make great meals and would teach her how to dance in the living room. She prayed that holidays would be filled with cheer. She imagines a Christmas tree filled with lights and ornaments. She Imagines her foster dad lifting her up to put the star on the top of the tree.

 Everyday she did the same thing: woke up, ate breakfast, took a shower, talked to her friends, ate lunch, watched TV, ate dinner and went to bed.  Her day was easy, she knew it by heart because there was not much to do today, except for Saturday’s. The children's home would have a ravel, she won one and got a doll. She was so happy that she screamed so loud you could hear her from a mile away, because she had never had a doll before. She thought wow what a great thing to be holding, her own doll that she gets to keep. 

All of her friends and brother Zymir got a foster family but her and Lymel were still there. Samyiha  thought that they wouldn’t  find a family ever. She was so upset she wanted to punch a wall.

After five years of waiting everyday for a perfect family to come through the front doors and bring her home, They finally did. When they come through the doors they looked like the perfect family but it was not to take me and my brother but the one person who would never leave me, my best friend, Annebelle . But then days after Annebelle left a nice family walked in looking for 2 kids and they pointed at Samyiha and Lymel. Samyiha was so excited and jumped up and down. 

When they got into the car they were shy but excited, they couldn't talk until they got to the big house. With their mouths wide open they thought wow I’m going to be living here. They walk into very nice things that they would have never thought they would be in a nice house. As they walked through the house they came to find an ice cream bar, they had never had ice cream. They stuffed their faces leaving only a little ice cream left.

After finishing their ice cream they ran up the stairs and chose their rooms, Samyiha chose the room with blue flowers and Lymel chose the room and superman colors. They jumped on their beds and danced like no one was watching. Their foster parents Hazel and Chris walked up stairs and said “it's time to get ready for bed.” Samyiha and Lymel walked into their very own bathrooms. 

Once she got out of her bathroom she made sure that Lymel was ready for bed and tucked him in and sang to him. She went to her room.

Hazel walked in and told me: “you don't have to tuck your brother in anymore, I can do that.” She was surprised that she said that because Samyiha had to take care of him and make sure he was okay. 

Samyiha was scared to go to sleep and went downstairs without a word. She just sat on Hazel's lap and fell asleep, she felt safe with Hazel. She never felt safe with anyone, ever. She was taken care of the way she thought Hazel was going to.

After three years both Samyiha and Lymel got adopted by Hazel and chris. On adoption day they were nervous and wanted everything to go well and it did. Walking out of the courtroom feeling good about themselves. They went out for lunch and opened some gifts. Samyiha became Makayla and Lymel became Jackson, they changed their name and it was great to start over.

Years after being adopted Makayla soon found out that her younger siblings got adopted by a family across the river. She wanted to find them but she had no luck. She didn't really know where to look because the social worker got fired and wasn't heard from. 

Makayla in the future would be 24 and is getting her law degree in family law. She hopes to help kids in need of a great family that she found for her and her brother.

March 18, 2022 00:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Daniel Arca
13:37 Mar 27, 2022

Is Lymel one of your siblings?

Reply

Makayla Ingoglia
18:45 Mar 27, 2022

Yes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Melissa Balick
01:35 Mar 21, 2022

Wow, they changed your first names? Why? That’s sad, about your siblings. I hope you find each other.

Reply

Makayla Ingoglia
00:24 Mar 23, 2022

Yes they changed there names because they wanted a new start and thanks you so much I hope I find them too! Thank tou

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.