Merry Freaking Christmas...

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

1 comment

Christmas Friendship Funny

It is December 24th, Christmas eve, and I am staring down a camel. It is just standing there in the middle of my destroyed living room, with one leg lazily placed on the broken glass topped coffee table. It is just staring at me with it's big caramel brown eyes, and thick brown eyelashes. It blinks slowly like it is questioning my next move. And it slowly chews on the remains of a paper plate, with a jolly Santa Clause on it. A party hat someone had hastily placed on the camel's head is now sliding off of it to the side, dangling just above it's ear. It looks at me as to ask how it got the hat on it's head, and how it got here. That is my question exactly. How did it get in here? How had any of this happened? It was suppose to be a simple, small, Christmas get together with just a few friends, while my parents were out of town in Porta Rico.  I was just going to throw a simple party with a few friends. My parents never were going to know about it. They came home tomorrow morning. If they found out I had had party and destroyed the house I could pretty much kiss my study abroad semester in London goodbye. That was the only reason I wasn't in porta Rico with them.

But now I stared down a large animal in the middle of my living room. My living room that had a broken coffee table, with a broken wooden frame, shattered glass top that littered the floor like snow, and broken legs. One of the coffee table's legs was across the room resting on a painting that fell on the floor. This painting so happened to be one my mother bought in Venice...and now it laid on the ground with a torn canvas. And there were solo cups that littered the floor, and sugary drink stains stuck to the hard would floor, splashed on the walls, and on the kitchen counter. It would take hours to clean this...and too fix this. And I had no idea how.

I felt my heart start to race, and I started to pull my beanie further down my head hoping if I couldn't see than maybe the mess would go away. When I lifted it the mess amd camel were still there, and I let out a long distressed moan.

Suddenly from under a blanket thrown on the ground emerged one last party guest. It happened to be my best friend, Anna, and she got up and looked around as dazed as I felt. Her brown hair was slightly displaced, as she looked at me with an O shaped mouth. "What the hell happened here, Kay?"

I was happy and relieved to know my best friend was here, but the relief didn't last for long. "I don't know. I was outside for most of the party by the hot tub with Jack, Sadi, and Ben the last two hours. When I came back in here...it was like this."

She looked at the destroyed coffee table, and then jerked just realizing the camel. She jumped up in shock amd ran to me taking my arm. "How did you not hear that...or see it come in!!?"

I shook my head, "I don't know. I was distracted...with Ben. And the music was loud." Then I raised an eyebrow at her, "How did you not realize? You were in here!"

She lightly kicked a solo cup, "I may have had a few of these."

Then we both got quiet, and looked at the mess again. I moaned , "I have like six hours till my parents land...how am I going to clean this?"

Then Anna smiled, and I felt so grateful to have my best friend. My friend that could solve any issue. "I have a plan."

The next four labours hours Anna and I became a well sober and oiled machine. We cleaned the ground of trash, cleaned the house of stains, and made the house look cleaner than before.

Luckily Anna remembered where the camel came from. Our friend, Dave, parents owned a petting zoo. He must had gotten drunk and brought it in. When we called him he about cried in joy happy to find out where the camel went. I don't know how you lose a camel, but either way he was happy to come get it.

The coffee table and painting where the hard part. Mom would definitely notice if there was new furniture and a missing painting. So i had to make it appear as a Christmas gift. By some grace of God, Anna's family had just gotten new furniture in their living room, so they had their old coffee table in storage. Anna was able to call her older brother and have him help us replace the broken one, and borrow his truck. It was a true christmas miracle that he was awake for the call. And oddly enough he was more disappointed he wasn't invited to the party rather than have to be helping us at 3 am.

As for the painting...there was no way to fix it or replace it easily. So we left it on the floor, and made it look like the hook it was on came loose and that it fell itself. And it's placement close to a side table made it almost look believable to have fallen, and gotten tore. I just pray mom would buy it.

By the end of the night...or should I say morning...it was now 4am. We had the house looking untouched, smelling good, and looking party free. Anna and I both looked exhausted, and I felt even more so.

She hugged me tight before running out the door. I thanked her profusely.

She smiled and waved, "Anything for my Special Kay! Merry Christmas!"

I cringed at that awful nickname, and let out a large yawn. I had to get some sleep before mom and dad got back. Otherwise they may not believe I was a goodie little two shoes while they were gone. "Merry Freaking Christmas".

..

May 13, 2021 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Allison Law
20:28 Sep 08, 2021

If you liked this story please check my others out! Ever since they made you have to pay to enter contest I haven't had as many people reading my new stories since they weren't submitted to a contest. But I love just sharing my stories and hearing feed back! So please read them!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.