11 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction Inspirational

It would be me as it could be you too. 

January 2003 just after the New Year celebration, Donald came back from London with a lot of gifts for the community. Some of the packages include clothes, shoes, and smartphones.

Donald offered everything to the community members present that what left for himself was nothing. The wife, Maima, was not at peace with it and she said, "How could you do that? Are you Father Christmas? Even Father Christmas doesn't share gifts in January."

In reply, "I am blessed and what I came home with are just a few things. There is no need to be stingy when you are already blessed."

In anger, she aired, "I cannot sit down here and watch you share everything without anything left for me and my children."

As Maima was still boiling her head over the packages, there came a young man called Damian, who has not received anything but he heard that Donald has just returned from London and he came rushing to receive his share as it's always done by Donald every year he comes back to celebrate the new year in the village.  

It was unfortunate to hear that everything has been given out. On seeing Damian, Maima started again, "what have you come to do here? You always flood peoples home as if you had given them anything to keep for you. As if that wasn't enough she added, "If you know what is good for you; at the count of five, make sure you would have turned your face towards where your back is facing and go back to wherever you came from."

Donald heard her and came out. He found that the wife has been harsh on the young man and said, "it is enough my dear, let him be. Young man, I am sorry for the embarrassment. Kindly come tomorrow he pleaded; I will be going to the city market to get more gifts. I will reserve better ones for you specifically.

Damian replied politely, "it is all right sir; I am grateful."

The next morning, Donald prepared for the shopping but the wife refused to go with him.

"I am not going with you unless you promise me that you are not going to buy anything for anyone in this community again. They are just opportunists and what you have given to them is enough already."

"My dear, leave that for me to worry about it," the husband replied.

"I cannot leave you alone because they have never participated in anything about your progress most especially when you were toiling to become who you are today. Now, they have come to reap from where they have not planted."

Donald eschewed her and after some time said, "why do you hate giving others a second chance to learn from their past and brighten their future? He added on, "What does it profit you to eat alone while others are starving and you throw food to dogs and cats? I am surprised you have forgotten so soon where we came from but nature granted us a second chance. More instances if you don't remember how you were thrown out of the office and later on was called to the office to work again. I can recall vividly how you were moving around doing good deeds and praying for what you did. Fortunately, you got your job back. Afterwards, you stooped doing good and turn to what I don't know."

Maima went into the bedroom; sat on the bed and wept bitterly. For some time, the husband stood aloof and watched her cry. Finally, he went closer and comforted her. Then, she said; "I was just been carried away by the ego of where I have reached forgetting that I was as well given a second chance to work regardless of the heinous offences that would have taken me into life imprisonment. She furthers, "I shall be the one to get a precious gift for that young man I embarrassed yesterday. He deserves a second chance and besides, it must be something so costlier to make amends with him."

After the discussion, they went to the market together. As they were going, they met a group of people beating a man who has stolen from the neighbourhood. Donald and the wife came down from the car and approached them calmingly. For an hour, they were still there trying to rescue that man from been killed. He pleaded for his cause and they accepted to give that man another chance on one condition that Donald must pay for what Mark had stolen. Donald asked the wife to get the amount they demanded and handed it over to them. 

It didn't end there, Donald as well took him to the hospital for treatment because he was already bruised everywhere. Soon, they left the hospital and continued to the market.

They spent a few hours than expected at the market and they came. Behold, Damian was already in the compound waiting for their arrival. When he noticed that Donald was with his wife, he trembled but Maima came out of the car and told him, "Be calm! I can feel your fear."

"Do you mean it?" Damian retorted.

"Come on! You have won favour from us," Maima replied.

"No, I don't believe this; after all the…"

Calm down, my dear. You deserve a second chance. I remembered a saying that, 'he who feeds others with pebbles should expect rocks in return'. For this reason, we have decided to offer you valuables instead. After handing the gifts to Damian, she asked again, "what do you do for a living?"

Damian replied, "I am just an orphan and a primary school dropout. I have nothing doing at a serious moment."

 For that reason, "I and my wife will take you to stay with us and be part of the household who will be assisting us as a housekeeper." 

On hearing this, Damian exclaimed, "this is an unimaginable turn of fate. Let me go and inform my friend whom I'm living with."

Donald and Maima continued looking at him as he runs home dancing in euphoric style.

August 14, 2020 17:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

09:40 Nov 10, 2020

Hii, Ophoke Sorry to intervene, in this brutal manner, I have a request for you would be kind to give a single glance over the vehicle which my team had been working over months. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHX5VUPBJOp/?igshid=5f72nb3cgg30 Sorry to take your time and If possible like the post.Because this would help team to win

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:32 Sep 21, 2020

Hey, Ophoke would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, I would ready your story

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
07:51 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks. I have watched it. I hope its the title, "Dusk till Dawn?" Kindly, I would like to know why you suggested it to me. Though, I must say I liked it.

Reply

08:17 Sep 22, 2020

I thought you would like it

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
07:58 Sep 23, 2020

Oh yeah, I did. Thanks and I place a like on it from youtube as well.

Reply

08:08 Sep 23, 2020

Thanks

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
14:47 Oct 01, 2020

Welcome my dear. Kindly check this out; https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/entity/author/B08GZHV17N?_encoding=UTF8&node=283155&offset=0&pageSize=12&searchAlias=stripbooks&sort=author-sidecar-rank&page=1&langFilter=default#formatSelectorHeader

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexi Delavigne
01:19 Aug 16, 2020

Really enjoyed this, great message!

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
16:00 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks so much my dear for always making out time to read my message. I am a little busy that's why I delay to reply but am thrilled that you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:26 Aug 15, 2020

True life story. Always learn to give a second chance to everything you do and everyone around you despite how bad one has been to you.

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
07:55 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks for your honest feedback Mr Ogaalai. I am pleased you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.