0 comments

General


Eunice Amero

2,030 words

                                                Maud’s Surprise

           Maud was a lovely old lady and the neighbours all respected her. No matter when her birthday came around someone would bring her a gift. Maud would get so pleased she would hug them and thanked them until they were out the door. She had lots of money in her life and she was always helping someone else. Like one day when one of her neighbour girls was needing a doctor because she was having an asthma attack, Maud called an ambulance and to keep her company she went with the mother to the hospital. She knew how to make a person feel good in tough situations. Maud had a car then and never missed a visit to go see the little girl and she would take the little girl’s mother sometimes with her and take her a treat. She sold her car since because she was getting too old to drive.

           Maud’s granddaughter Valentina would come to see her each time she wasn’t working. She was a nurse at ‘Upton Grace Hospital’ in Halifax Nova Scotia’ and when she had free time, she always went to see her grandmother. When she knew Valentina was coming, she would prepare the very meal Valentina loved. Baked beans, homemade bread, baked biscuits, and for dessert she made chocolate pudding. Valentina would eat till she couldn’t eat another bite.

           After they finished their meal she and her granddaughter went to the living-room to talk.

           “So how are you making out at work, Honey?”

           “I’m doing just great Gram, especially after meeting this guy who was in a car accident.”

           “Really?”

           “Yes, he and his sister were going to the store and on the way,” his mother told me, “a drunk driver ran out in front of him and hit him right on. His seat belt saved him from flying out the car window and his sister was seating in the backseat in her seat belt and she just got a couple of scratches.”

           “Wow, thank God for the seat belts,” her grandmother said. “People complain about seat belts. That’s the best thing they ever could have made.”

           “You’re right, Gram. So many people that don’t wear them, like they should, either ends up in the hospital or at a funeral parlor, Valentina added, “And Gram how have you been?”

           “I’ve been feeling fine. The doctor told me my sugar was good and my blood pressure was just where he wanted to see it.”

           “That’s great Gram,” Valentina smiled, “I’m glad for you, just continue to do well so I won’t have to worry about you.”

           “I’m doing my best,” Gram smiled as she slowly turned to look at Valentina. She asked, “So, tell me Honey, what did you mean you were doing great since you met who?”

           “Oh Gram, he doesn’t know I like him yet.”

           “What’s his name?”

           “Zane Rudolph. Gram he is so handsome,” Valentina placed her hands on her face blushing.

           “When is he leaving the hospital?”

           “It won’t be too soon because he has a broken arm, a broken foot and a couple broken ribs and a badly bruised ankle, so the doctor wants him to stay for another two weeks and maybe longer.”

           “How long has he been there?” her Gram asked smiling.

           “Going on two weeks.”

           “You’re slow,” her Gram-mother teased.

           “Gram, I don’t believe in throwing yourself at any man.”

           “That must be why you’re taking so long to find someone,” Gram started rocking a little faster in her rocking chair.

           Valentina rose from where she sat, walked over to her grandmother and hugged her. “Gram maybe you can send a little prayer up for me.”

           “I won’t forget, honey. You’ll soon be too old for a man if you keep waiting.”

           Valentina laughed and said, “I’m only 30 that’s not old.”

           “Don’t wait till your 75 like me, you’ll never find a man.”

           Valentina laughed and hugged her again. “I have to go now, Grammy. I have to get up for work at 6:00 but I’ll see you this week-end.”

           “Be sure to come I love it when you come to see me,” Her gram started tearing up.

           “Oh, Grammy you know I will always come to see you. I love you Gram. You’re the best Grandmother in the world.” Valentina hugged her again. “Don’t make a meal for me. Let me take you out Saturday. I don’t have to work this coming week-end.”

           “So, you planning to stay overnight?” Gram took her by the hands and looked up in her face and reached up to kiss her on the cheek. She was shorter than her granddaughter.

           “Grammy, I knew you would want me to stay overnight so that was my plan.”

           “You know how much I enjoy your company, and you are more than welcome to move in with me.”

           “Yes, I know Grammy and if I could get a job in that Joseph Dugas’ hospital that’s down along the French shore I would move in with you. I worry about you being alone.”

           “You told me they will probably need you after Christmas?”

           “They didn’t give me a sure answer, it could be before Gram.”

           “Why don’t you move in with me early December? Then we can plan for Christmas together.”

           “You’re always thinking aren’t you Gram?” Valentina giggled, “I will think about it. I will give my job word when I’m ready to leave.”

           “So, you will move in with me?” Her grandmother was so anxious for her granddaughter to move in with her, she marked off every day on the calendar.

           Maud could hardly wait for Valentina to move. She got her room all ready and made sure she had a lot of food. She laid down on the sofa to take a rest. Later the telephone woke her. She slowly got up to go answer it. When she picked up the phone a voice said, “Hello.”

           “Who’s this?” Maud asked. She never heard the voice before.

           “So, you don’t know who this is?” The voice said.

           “No, what’s your name?” Maud asked.

           “Let me come see you and then I think you will remember me.”

           “Okay,” Maud answered confused.

           Shortly a knock came at the door. When she opened it a lady maybe around the same age as she offered to shake her hand. 

           “Hello, Maud,” she said, “Do you remember me?”

           Maud stared at her trying to collect her memory. “I have a short memory. It’s not like it used to be.” She smiled.

           “Maud, we used to be best friends in school. You don’t remember me?”

           “You aren’t Clara Joan? The girl everyone used to call curly locks?”

           “Yes, you’re right. We were friends all through school.”

           “Yes, I remember now, come right in,” Maud led her to the kitchen. “What brought you this way?” She asked while pouring her a coffee.”

           “Well, I decided to come try to find you. A lady just a couple of houses down the road told me you lived here. So, I thought I would call you before I came. I thought when she sees me, she will remember me.”

           “I am so glad to see you,’ Maud offered her friend a coffee and an unbaked cookie. “How have you been keeping yourself?”

           “Well, I have been doing fine until my husband passed away. It’s been so lonely without him.”

           “I understand because I lost my husband last year,” Maud told her, “He suffered a lot with cancer. It was in his bowels. It hurt me so much just to see him suffer.”

           “It’s hard isn’t it?” Clara said.

           “Yes, so tell me what took your husband?” Maud asked lowly.

           “He wouldn’t stick to his diet and his sugar got too high and eventually it took him. It feels like yesterday but he’s been gone a year and a half. He wouldn’t listen to me,” Clara added.

           “It’s so hard to get over it,” Maud told her while opening up the oven to check her chicken. “I hope you are staying awhile because my chicken will soon be done. I have a oven that you set and when it’s done, it automatically shuts off.”

           “Its sure smells delicious,” Clara commented.

“So, didn’t you have a daughter?”

           “Yes, she’s now working at the Digby Pines Hotel. I hated to see her go because she’ll be a long way away but she said she’d keep in touch.”

           “What’s she doing there?” Maud asked as she put her cup back in the saucer.   

           “She works at the front desk. Taking calls and answering any questions that’s needed.”

           “She must get paid well for that,” Maud said.

           “Yes, very good pay,” Cara told her as she ate the last of her cookie. “My granddaughter is a nurse at ‘Upton Grace Hospital’ in Halifax and she is moving down and moving in with me around the first of December. She’s hoping the hospital down the shore will hire her. You know where the Upton Hospital is?”

Yes, isn’t it a rather small hospital?”

“Yes, but she told me she’d rather work in a small one rather than a large one because they’re not as busy. Then she told me they were planning to hire a couple more after Christmas, so she is almost sure she will get the job.”

           “Good for her. I hope she moves in with you because a woman your age shouldn’t stay alone.” Clara told her.

           “Yes, she plans to and I am very happy about that. I love to see her come.”

Through supper Maud and Clara traded words about the pass and how they remembered things from their earlier days.

“Time sure goes fast,” Clara added.

“You can say that again,” Maud answered then added, “It’s just a turn of a page.”

“I know and it’s lonely being alone. Both our husbands are gone and it makes a big hole. Don’t you think?”   

“I sure know that without a doubt,” Maud answered.

As Clara placed her napkin on the table she said, “Thank you for such a lovely supper.”

“You are more than welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed it.”

Come early evening Clara had to go home she was expecting a call from her daughter. Maud followed her to the door.

“I was so happy to see you again. Don’t forget to come see me again soon. Don’t let it be as long as it’s been since we were in school.”

           “I will visit again. My husband and I travelled a lot though the years and barely had time to do anything.”

           “Well, now you are alone you can come more often.”

           “I’ll try. Life is too short to stay alone.”

           “You want to remember that and come back soon.”

           They hugged and as Maud watched her leave, she wove at her.

           “Thank you again,” Clara cried out the window.

           “You’re welcome!”

           After Clara left Maud called her granddaughter.

           “I got a big surprise this afternoon.”

           “You did. What was that?”

           “Remember I used to mention a girl who was my friend at school?”

           “Yes, her name was Clar…ra?”

           “Yes, Clara. I haven’t seen her for years and she came to visit me. I was so surprise. She told me she lost her husband a year and a half ago.”

           “Well Gram I’m glad she made you a visit. Do you want another surprise?

“If it’s good I can take it.”

 “Gram I was speaking to my boss and he told me I could leave and take up working from            

The hospital down the French shore. Isn’t that great?”

           “So, you can move soon?”

           “Yes, Gram and I get the same wages. That’s really good.”

           “You made my day. I am so happy to hear that. I have your bedroom all done. Everything is clean and ready.”

           “Oh Gram, you didn’t have to do that. I could have done it myself.”

           “I know but I don’t have a lot to do so I thought I would do it.”

           “Grammy, I am so happy for you. You got your friend back and your granddaughter is moving in with you.”

           “You’re right angel. I am so thankful.”

           

           






February 21, 2020 17:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.