Not COMPLETE strangers...

Written in response to: Begin or end your story with “Well, that was dramatic.”... view prompt

2 comments

Christmas Romance Funny

Note: This is a story I wrote after talking to a guy on Reedsy who seems really cool.


CW: language





“Macy, you can’t be skipping school.” my mother says as I get home. My parents are standing in the kitchen, waiting for me.


My heart literally skips a beat. 


I didn't think they knew.


No, no, no…


“What are you talking about?”


“We know Macy.”

I bite my lip, as I always do when I’m nervous. It's my “tell”.

I started skipping a while ago, after my boyfriend broke up with me. He’s in most of my classes and I decided that I didn't want to go to school anymore. Easy as that.

The one thing I didn't think anything of, was my parents finding out. They had always been too busy with work, and I didn't think they would notice or actually, even care.

“Why do you care if I skip school or not?” I ask, pulling my blond hair into a ponytail. I turn the kitchen island, open the snack cabinet and grab a granola bar. When I turn, my older brother Mason is standing in front of me. He snatches the granola bar from my hands.

“We care because we want you to succeed.” Mason tells me, siding with my parents. At this point, I can’t resist an eye roll.

“Okay.” Anything to shut them up. Maybe if I agree with them, they’ll not go into a big lecture.

“Okay? Macy, this is serious!” My dad yells. 

He never yells. Neither does Mason. It's always my mother, so I’m surprised when she stays quiet.

“It’s not serious! I just don’t want to be at school!” I yell back. My dad looks at me, almost like he’s going to slap me. I don’t even care if he does.

“Macy! You need to go to school so you can get into college!” Mason exclaims.

I walk up to him slowly, until I’m right there in his space. 

“You know what Mason? What if I don’t want to go to college? What if I don’t want to succeed?” I ask. “I don't want to be like you, the teacher’s pet, the goody-two-shoes, the perfect child.”

I step back looking at my whole, disappointed family. “It's not perfect! I can’t be like Mason, I can’t have good grades, and the whole fucking school bowing down at my knees. I actually have problems."

In the heat of the moment, I run out of the house as fast as I can, and run down the sidewalk of our neighbourhood. I’m not coming back.

----------


I’ve been texting this guy for months. He texted me first, which is weird, because I don’t remember giving my phone number to him. I don’t think I’ve even met him. His name is Derek and he seems really sweet.


Derek: Hey Macy. U have a good day?


Me: No. parents and i got into fight. I'm running away


Derek: Rlly? Macy you can't be serious.


Me: well i am serious.


Me: i can’t deal with them right now. They don't understand


Derek: Well why u get into fight?


Me: skipping school


Derek: Macy. not. Cool.


Me: i hate school


Derek: so do i, but it doesn't mean i skip


I walk across the street using the crosswalk, wondering why Derek isn’t backing me up right now. It's so unfair!


Ding!


I check my phone when I get to the mall.


Derek: u there?


I don’t want to answer. He just doesn't get me like I thought he would. I pull out my phone.


Me: Yea. meet me here

-Location sent-

----------


I’m probably going to regret this.

No, I am going to regret this. Not probably. This is for sure.

My parents text me so much, telling me to come home, that I turn off their notifications entirely, because they are making me feel bad. 

They won't leave me alone. I get that they’re worried about me, but they won't even try for a second to understand me. They just get mad because I’m skipping school. I think that’s a little stupid.


Derek: here now. 


Me: at food court


Derek: k. See u there.


My heart pounds in my chest as I sit at the table near that pretzel place I don't like. I watch people walk in, wondering if one of them is Derek.

Who knows at this point. He could be a creepy old man trying to kidnap me.

Even that would be better then going home to face my parents.

“Macy right?”

I look up to see a hot guy, who’s way out of my league.

“Yeah...who are you?”

The guy walks closer. “Derek,” he says. “Nice to finally meet you.”

I’m shocked. I didn't think he would come, I didn't even think he lived in California. But I know this guy…

Everyday I get on the bus, and he’s sitting in the back with his friends.

Oh my god, he’s Derek Wilson.

“Hi.” I say and stand up. Derek hugs me and he smells like vanilla. How weird.

“I know you. You ride my bus. Ninth grader, right?” he asks and I nod.

Okay, I have a few questions and by a few, I mean a shitload of questions.

How did he get my phone number?

Why did he text me?

Does he like me?

Am I cute to him?

I internally die while thinking of these things when I realize that I look like I just got out of bed. Great.

He sits next to me. “So, skipping school?”

“Yeah.” I say and look down at my shoes.

Derek bites his lip, not to be a total F-Boy, but just because he’s thinking. There is a difference between a flirty lip bite and doing that while in thought.

“Don’t do that. I can’t actually think of anything to say about that because I know the feeling of parents finding out that you skipped school.” he tells me and I laugh.

“How did you get my number Derek?” I ask quietly.

“Uh,” he laughs. “One of my friends got it from their friend and said I should text this number, which I just found out was yours.”

I don’t know if I like the feeling that someone is giving my number away…

But then again, they gave it to Derek of all people, so that was a win for me.

We get up and walk around the mall, which is covered in Christmas decorations. It's really pretty, seeing it all spiced up for the holidays.

As I’m looking at a Christmas set-up in one of the store's windows, Derek takes my hand in his and I feel like I can’t breathe. I pull away.

“Don’t you have a girlfriend?” I ask rather aggressively. 

Derek’s eyes widen and he shakes his head. “Are you kidding me? Do you think I would be the type of person to have a girlfriend?”

The moment he asks that, something must change in my eyes because he smiles at his shoes.

“Macy, I don’t. Chill out, I’m all yours.”

I lock eyes with him for a moment and then pull out my phone. “Hold on one second.”

Me: Mason, tell mom and dad I’m safe. Be home soon.


“Anyway,” I continue. “I’m sorry for assuming you had a girlfriend.”

Derek laughs and takes my hand again, standing close to me. He’s really tall…

“Well, I mean, I am kinda hot aren’t I?” he asks playfully. 

I punch him in the arm. “Shut up.”

“Well that was dramatic,”






December 06, 2021 16:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Akshara P
13:42 Dec 10, 2021

I'm in LOVE with the ending. 😍 TEACH ME TO WRITE AS GOOD AS YOU, especially romance. <3

Reply

Jexica Marcell
16:18 Dec 10, 2021

Awwww thank you! I am single, and very confused on how I am good at writing romance, but I think I take the inspiration from my friend's relationships, and the guys I crush on!!!! Plus, I think about how the audience would like the ending and go with it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.