Drag Me Down To The Depts

Written in response to: Write a story inspired by a piece of music (without using any lyrics).... view prompt

82 comments

Adventure Fiction Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

   Hey guys, sorry this is a shorter story. I did kinda use some of the lyrics but I twisted them. I wonder if you can tell what song inspired this story. If you like this story please read my other bits of content because this may or may not be related to my other stories. Please tell me what you think and tell me your theories about how it relates to the other stories in the comments below! Ok, I hope you all like it. Enjoy!






Dear Malinda,


   The seas may separate us but the fire of my heart still burns for the hope that I will see you again. Compared to dealing with the loneliness I feel without you by my side, piracy is easy. It is harder for me to be even a second away from you than it is to conquer any of the king’s ships. I would fight a whole fleet if it meant I would see you that much sooner. 

   Do you remember when we were children playing in the streets of Makuba? It seems like centuries ago. We always said I would be a pirate. We always knew I would be the one who saved our town. And I have. Every time I visit, Makuba is even more prosperous and lively than when I left it. Every time I visit, your smile is even more welcoming. 

   My love, there is something you should know. 

   Your father is dead. 

   I was the one who skewed a cutlass through the old devil’s otherwise already cold dead heart. I know you asked me to show him mercy but I couldn’t. He used to beat you. He was terrible to you. He abandoned you when your mother died. The light of the sun may blind me in the morning, but one thing that I will always see clear as the blue in the ocean, is my love for you. 

   Let me assure you that I did not seek him out. Your father and his crew came seeking to conquer the greatest band of buccaneers to ever sail the seven seas.

   I saw the sails of the Spade’s Curse as the wind blew at my back. 

   “Captain!”cried Charles from the crow’s nest, “John Case and The Spade’s Curse approaches astern on port side!” 

   I ran to my quarters and looked through the window. Just as Charles said, the blasted ship captained by your blasted father was approaching. Your father and his crew came up on our port side about a couple kilometers away and opened fire on me and The Oracal. 

   Fearing I would never see you again, I emerged from my quarters and onto the deck. 

   “ALL HANDS TO YOUR BLOODY STATIONS!”

   At my command my crew began running up and down The Oracle to prepare to retaliate. I ran to the wheel and hoped that your love would keep Davy Jones from dragging me down to his god forsaken locker. I then turned the ship to port so that we might face your father head on. 

   “Mr. Marxby!”, I shouted as the large fat man hobbled in my direction, “Are your new modifications completed?!” 

   “Yes sir, Captain,” he replied, “ but it remains untested Captain!”

   “Well,” I said with a laugh, “what’s life on this earth without risks?! Boring! That’s what it is, so go down to your workshop and pull whatever lever or switch required because the way I see it, there’s no better time to test it than in the heat of battle!” 

   “Aye, Aye Captain!”, he said as he ran down into the depths of my glorious vessel. Moments later The Oracle gained stupendous speed. I don’t know what it is that Mr. Marxby did to her, but no matter what he did it certainly worked. 

   We sped through the water like a bat out of hell as cannonballs flew past us like the rain in a summer storm. Once we were within throwing distance of The Curse I turned The Oracle to starboard. Our bows were parallel to each other as my crew began to swing onto the enemy ship. 

   It was a glorious battle, and you can sleep well tonight knowing that as sure as my heart beats, those waters have been dyed red with your vile father’s blood as well as the blood of the collection of filthy dogs that he called a crew. 

   That’s when something very intriguing happened.

   I was on the deck of The Spade’s Curse executing the men when a young man stood up with his hands tied. This boy wore a strange mask that I will never forget. 

   “Captain Mikeska,” said the lad, “I have searched the seas for you.”

   “Sit down boy!”, I said, “Unless you want to die that much sooner.”

   “But I know things!,” he said, “I know of treasures and I have ideas that you can use, Captain, I can be of use to you.” 

   This fascinated me. This boy was either telling the truth or he was the gutsiest lad to ever sail. I ordered my men to untie him and I led him to my study on The Oracle. There, the boy told me his ideas. He told me I could command a fleet of ships. I could expand my reach. If instead of sinking every ship I conquer, and killing all it’s crew, I could claim the ship and it could sail under my banner. He then told me of many treasures throughout the world. He said there was even a whole continent that was undiscovered, but I didn’t believe that for a second. 

   But in the lad’s eyes I saw something. I saw a piece of myself. It was clear he was a sharp lad, and he knew what he was talking about. So I made him a deal. 

   He had told me of a pair of gloves once owned by Hermes that would allow a man the ability to take whatever he wanted from whomever he wanted. I made him a deal. I said that in two months' time, I would be in Traki Port. If he were to bring me the Gloves Of Hermes, I would make him captain of The Spade’s Curse which would be the first ship to join Mikeska’s Navy. I then told him that if he failed to complete this task and I were to cross paths with him again, then I would shoot him with a cannon from one meter away. 

   And so, the deal was made. The young man took your father’s ship, and a few members of its crew, and set sail to retrieve the Gloves Of Hermes. 

   About a month later I had laid anchor in Traki Port to load up on supplies (and by supplies of course I mean rum). My men and I found ourselves waiting for drinks in a tavern called The Wiggly Tooth. That is when the doors of the taver sprang open to reveal the young lad and his crew a month early!

   The boy walked over to our table and tossed two leather gloves onto the space in front of us. The gloves were brown leather with jewels of many different colors sowed into the brim of the gloves. Branded on the back of each glove was the symbol of Hermes. 

   He had done it.

   I had only one thing to ask.

   “What is your name lad?”

   With a sly grin he chuckled and said, “They call me Shatter, that’s all you need to know.”

   I laughed at the name, but then assumed that it must have been a last name.

   “Very well, Captain Shatter,” I said with a smile as I shook his hand, “welcome to Mikeska’s Navy!

   So, Mr. Shatter is now the captain of The Spade’s Curse. As for me, well, I am sending you this letter from the island of Aroka. Once I leave this place I am coming straight home to you my love. You see, you are like The Oracle, because my soul is the sea and you are the only one who I let navigate my heart. 

   I will be home soon. 

   I love you.


Sincerely,


Your prisoner of love,


Captain Aswald Mikeska.

November 12, 2021 15:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

82 comments

13:58 Nov 13, 2021

I saw you followed me and thought to check out your writing, it's pretty good! I especially liked the beginning part: Dear Malinda, The seas may separate us but the fire of my heart still burns for the hope that I will see you again. Compared to dealing with the loneliness I feel without you by my side, piracy is easy. It is harder for me to be even a second away from you than it is to conquer any of the king’s ships. I would fight a whole fleet if it meant I would see you that much sooner. It sounds really old-fashioned and beautiful,...

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
15:07 Nov 13, 2021

Thank you so much! BTW, I love your pen name. I am a big Hamilton fan. Just out of curiosity, could you possibly tell what song inspired this story?

Reply

12:57 Nov 15, 2021

Aww, cool! I love meeting other Hamilton fans, we're all a bit crazy. :) No, I couldn't tell, actually, I'm kinda bad with those things. Which song?

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
03:44 Nov 19, 2021

Drag Me Down By One Direction

Reply

15:26 Nov 19, 2021

Neat! Shoulda figured by all the "drag me down" business throughout... I'm glad you shared this story.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
14:55 Nov 20, 2021

Thank you, so am I

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
02:56 Dec 14, 2021

Hey! I absolutely loved this story!(letter, actually XD) Oh well, I don't really have much to say except great job so I'll poof and read your other stories. XD

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
03:47 Dec 14, 2021

Yay! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
04:57 Nov 14, 2021

ooooo pirate themed lol gotta love a good pirate story :D the chemistry between the captain and his love was diabolically shown, especially with that sign-off. It makes the captain sound like a real prisoner to the person. And oh look, shatter is back XDD I love that most of your stories are connected or at least mention something from your past. It kinda gives the reader some perspective I suppose, and the feeling that it's all contained and they don't have to describe a whole new world every time lol (if that makes sense-). Still, very ver...

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
02:51 Nov 15, 2021

Yes I agree. ‘Twas the whole point. I didn’t mean it to be a unhealthy relationship but a very romantic one. He feels as though he would do anything for her. Yes he is. Be honest, is Shatter the kind of character that IRL girls fall for even though he’s fiction? and for all you know these could all happen in the same world. Just something to think about. Thank you so so so much Wolfe.

Reply

TJ Squared
03:17 Nov 15, 2021

:) yea lol yeah honestly lol I mean, I am kinda falling for him XDDD very tru, very tru :) you're welcome! They were a pleasure to read :DDD I hope to read more in the future :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:23 Nov 15, 2021

You have a crush, Flow?

Reply

TJ Squared
03:25 Nov 15, 2021

a fictional one in this case, yes lol

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:32 Nov 15, 2021

AnD dO yOu HaVe A rEaL oNe ToO????????

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Cooper Armstrong
03:46 Nov 19, 2021

Flow? Also, what’s wrong with her having a thing for Shatter? That’s part of why I wrote him.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:05 Nov 19, 2021

Flow is my name for Wolf Warrior, just read WOLF backwards....got it? Um, I didn't read the story as such, I just saw Flow's comment and it was all in good faith. I was just teasing her, as a friend. Also, are you the 'Cooper' from the Skribbls doc?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
23:56 Nov 13, 2021

Hey! Missa mentioned meeting a wonderful writer the other day so I came here to check out your profile! I love your writing, especially this story :) The signoff was really impactful, "Your prisoner of love," is a beautiful way to end it off, you should look into poetry! I love the idea of storytelling through a love letter, it gives depth to the story and the perspective is really interesting. This feels like it was set way back in the past, which truly added to the //~old romantic~// theme. Loved the story :)

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
00:44 Nov 14, 2021

Thank you! It’s nice to meet you Sapphire. I do write poetry BTW. I feel like romance shouldn’t be dead and people should still talk like that.

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
23:25 Nov 21, 2021

Right back at you! Yeah, I thought so :P Exactly! Like imagine how much more exciting life would be if you could just- "Hello cherished Burger King, I am here to devote myself to your enthralling chicken delight, whilst enjoying a cola" yeah... no, i just read that and cringed, not all of us can write like you lol XD

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
16:17 Nov 22, 2021

LOL! I’m not a big burger fan. Aw, you make me blush!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:14 Nov 27, 2021

Yeah wow its been a while since I've ate fast food :0 Aha yw <3

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
21:42 Nov 27, 2021

Yw?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
19:54 Dec 28, 2021

Hey, Cooper!! This story was really beautifully written, I liked the ageless way the words were used which made it sound more elegant and old-fashioned. Honestly, I've never heard this song before but I'm listening to it now and I wonder why you chose such an artistic way to write this story (as a letter) compared to the fast pace of the song. (No criticism, just wondering if there was any forethought that made you decide to write it as a letter or narrative from a single character). Also, do the names of the characters have any significant ...

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
21:53 Dec 28, 2021

Aww thanks! The reason I did that was because when I hear that song I picture a man fighting and the only thing that’s keeping him going is the thought of the woman he loves. The names of the characters have no relation to the song. I just liked em. Thank you again, and I hope you can check out some of my other stories and I’ll get the chance to check out some more of yours. -Cooper (Yep XD)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:19 Dec 28, 2021

Haha well you did a good job, I like that he's fighting for her and the names really help sell the time-period of the story 👏 Haha thanks, and I'll try to check out any new stories you get out! -Livi

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
22:32 Dec 28, 2021

Thank you! Yes I wanted that to be evident. Great! -Cooper

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:34 Dec 28, 2021

:D

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
22:37 Dec 28, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
04:01 Nov 15, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
22:07 Nov 23, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.