What was in the Cypress Woods?

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

2 comments

Mystery

What was in the Cypress Woods?


Suzanne Marsh


“That area of Caddo State Park is not a great place to camp, don't go Maddie. They say the

bayou is haunted.”

Words had never stopped me from doing what I wanted to do, this was no exception. I had thought more than once that I would like to explore the Caddo Lake area and the bayou. I always longed for adventure. I packed up my hiking gear, the camp stove, and the cooler. I also decided to rent a kayak once I got to the lake. I drove toward East Texas, the radio blaring Tom Jones and the golden oldies. Life was sweet.

I rent a cabin close to the water. I needed time to think things through. I wanted to write the novel to end all novels. Something every writer thinks about. My roommate, and pal Dan wanted me to teach high school as I had done for ten years. Once again the argument became heated with me leaving. I wanted to make the most of this trip. Caddo Lake, had always had an allure for me, one I can't explain even to myself. I love adventure and the great outdoors, Dan, is more of a stay at home type person.

I pulled into the park ranger station, where I obtained the key to the cabin. The Park ranger gave me directions to get there. When I got to the first set of trees I turned off the macadam road onto a dirt road. Thank heaven for my 4X4 Jeep. The cabin was strangely quiet. The lake gave me the creeps. It was eerily silent. I unloaded the Jeep. Cooked some pancakes, then went to bed.

The following morning, I opened the cabin door, the fog reminded me of a ghoulish temptress, seeking to ensnare a lover. I hoped the fog would lift so that I could begin to explore the bayou. The park ranger dropped off the kayak moments later, issuing a warning to stay out of the bayou until the fog cleared. I went back into the cabin, had breakfast, then headed outside to the kayak. The fog had lifted for the most part, now was the time to explore.

I began to paddle the kayak toward the bayou north of where the cabin was located. Cabin, it was more like a broom closet. No closets or such but it did have a bed, table and chairs, a small refrigerator and stove. I could feel the lure of the lake beckoning me to paddle further and further into the bayou. The birds were beautiful, the snowy egret, the spoonbill and even a brown pelican. The beauty was breathtaking. The Cypress trees with Spanish Moss decorating it always reminded me of old haunted plantations. It was always eerie to entering this area, but that never stopped me. I found my way in and out of the swamp, I was so proud of myself.

I returned to the cabin later that afternoon. It was normal Texas hot about 100 degrees. I decided that I would bring out my small Coleman stove and cook outside, inside would way to hot. I had brought steak along and somehow that seemed to suit my mood. Rare, just as this place I was camped in raw but beautiful.

After lunch, I took a hike along the shore of Lake Caddo. I looked up and saw a swirl of white smoke. I followed it into a part of the bayou I had not yet explored. On foot this was not the easiest thing to do. I had to keep watch for Cottonmouths and Rattlers. They are both venomous. I kept following the smoke until it stopped. Was this some sort of surrealistic dream. If it was I hoped I would awaken soon.

I stood staring a the lea I had entered. There was a mound of dirt, that looked suspiciously like a grave. Part of me kept saying: 'I am out of here, I don't need to to see what is in that mound. I can go back and call the police on my cell.' The other part of me wanted to stay and discover who was in that grave. I always have my backpack with me and in it is a small trenching tool, a leftover from my Army days. That would work. I moved cautiously toward the mound of dirt. Did I dare desecrate someone's grave. There was no marker nothing to identify the body, if there was one.

I thought about why anyone would bury someone in this horrible lonely place. I began to dig in earnest. I didn't want to share this find at least not yet. The grave was shallow, what I found was the decomposed body of what was a young woman, she was dressed in a thirties type dress. Then I noticed the shot gun wound. I quickly covered her back up. I vowed that as soon as I returned home I would find out who the young woman was. Her family would want closure.

I returned home to find that Dan was gone, well no great loss there. I hurried toward my computer, turning it on as I ran to unload my Jeep 4X4. I began to look for kidnappings in the area of Caddo Lake. Nothing. I then called a friend of mine from Temple, Mandy Peters. We went to journalism classes together, maybe she would have a clue.

“Hey Mandy, I know it has been a while, I just back from a trip to Caddo Lake. Listen

I don't want you to break this story yet. When I was there I found a body buried in a

grave out on the bayou. The body looked to be that of a young woman, she was dressed in

a I think, 1930's era.”

“Maddie, there were always women disappearing usually at that time running off to find

happiness. While we are catching up I will check into the archives here. So, Dan finally

gave up the ghost huh? Maddie you are better off the guy was a bum anyway.”

“True but now I have to crawl back to Jack and ask him for a job on the Dallas paper.

I hate that job with a passion. I will no doubt be doing Obits again.”

“Maddie, I think I found something. Holy crap, that dress, what color was it?”

“Blue, Mandy, with small white polka dots. Why?”

“There was a young woman who disappeared when Bonnie and Clyde stopped here in

Temple. Her name was Maggie Jones according to this article. You have an exclusive now

that should help you get a better job than the Obits. Call the Texas Rangers in Waco. They

will send someone to check out your story. If it is the girl, you got it.”

The following morning I met Sergeant Jace Morgan at Caddo Lake. We hiked into the bayou.

I also brought my trenching too, although Sergeant Morgan had one also. We dug the body up.

I knew it would be a few days before the DNA tests would confirm what I already knew.

It seemed as if the phone would never ring.

“Hello, Maddie, this is Sergeant Morgan, the DNA confirmed that it was Maggie Jones.

Apparently, she did not going willingly with Bonnie and Clyde, she was their last

victim. There were signs of a struggle, and the bullet was Bonnie's not Clyde's.

Hey, by the way, how about a date?”

I said yes. I had it all now, an exclusive story, and a date with Adonis.

April 14, 2020 19:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ciaran O'Neill
11:14 Apr 23, 2020

Great story, I really enjoyed reading it. I especially enjoyed how driven the protagonist was. She goes to a few amazing settings and I would have liked to see more descriptions of them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sue Marsh
18:33 Apr 23, 2020

thank you I have only seen pictures of the Caddo swamp and drove by once. It has a very spooky history. The Caddo Indians once lived there and according to what I have read they used the area to hide in. Once again I am glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.