1 comment

Fiction

"Hi Mom. Boy do I have some exciting news! You just won't believe it. I know you were expecting me to try to break into a writing career with some periodical or online news source,but I think you will find that my news is even better than you expected!"

" No, I'm not telling you that I'm married, or even engaged. When did I ever? But I have met someone; tell you about him later,okay? Yes I know I haven't been real good at writing or keeping in touch but I will try harder now that I'm out of school and have started a job. yes! A real job. A real paying job! And ....wait for it. ....a job with an established printing firm,one that specializes in fictional books! My favorite genre too! How can anybody be so lucky? I just opened the paper one day and ...."

" What did you say? sorry I missed it. I'm just so excited. "

" Well,I started there a week ago. No I deliberately held off telling you about it so you wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't work out. But it's better than I could have expected. I even had my interview with the CEO, the very top banana."

" Yes I am excited. I mean,who wouldn't be? It's a chance to work in the field I love, to meet authors just starting out and authors already established, and get ideas and fresh outlooks. I really think I can get ideas for my own writing too. But that isn't the best part of this. The part I've been saving is this: this printing house is the very first company you ever worked for,and now I'm there too! Isn't that the best thing you've ever heard? The very best? I can learn from the same people you started with. Of course,I know you weren't there very long, and I've always wondered how you could give it up after only a few months to go back and settle for a boring job in a local paper, even with settling down and getting married and having a baby.

But that doesn't matter now. You got your feet wet there. You learned about the business, about life, met people in the business, got experience, and.."

"What was that?"

" Yes, Mr. Darling is still the CEO. He's about your age,maybe a year or so older. But you would know that already. He was so very nice to me,too. And he remembered you. After twenty two years he still recognized your name and remembered you. I told him who I was, and that my mom had worked there years ago for a little while, and he asked your name. When I said it he went 'Hmmmm. Margot Carruthers. Margot. Yes I do remember her. She was good. Very good. Pretty girl. Smart, sexy even. Margot.I always liked her name. And you look like her.' Of course I know I don't really look like you except for my height and hair color. My eyes are green, not like yours or daddy's. Yours are definitely not green. I really don't look much like either of my parents,do I? But Mr. Darling now. He's still a good looking man too. Must have been a lady killer in his younger years. He still has that sort of look,the kind women fall for. And he knows how to dress too. Casual but tasteful. I bet he had women falling at his feet. He's that sort I think, the kind that can impress a young inexperienced girl and fascinate her into something. Maybe you were lucky you didn't stay here more than a few months. Some day you need to tell me all about your adventures here. You have always been reluctant to discuss your work here,but now with me working here I'd like to know what you did, who you met and hung around with, and of course why you chose to leave. You and Daddy must have had a special relationship or else you wouldn't have gone back so soon and married. And having a baby so soon would have kept your career as a writer from growing too. You gave up a lot for me, and for Daddy too. Too bad your marriage didn't last. I'm just sorry you missed out on a great career. I know your writing has always meant a lot to you. And if you had stayed here and worked, I bet Mr. Darling would have helped you get into the business as a writer. He's that sort of guy, the kind that takes a personal interest in his staff and in up and coming authors. I met his wife too. What a cold fish! Eyes that bore into you and a haughty manner,like everybody is dirt beneath her feet. No wonder there are rumours about him and other women. Lots of other women, if you can believe the stories."

"Yes I know to be careful with men like that. I'm not naive or unsophisticated about men that have reputations. But a girl could easily fall for that kind of guy like Mr. Darling is if she was single and still unattached. I bet loads of girls have fallen for him! BUT I think I have also found a man I can easily become attached to,and believe it or not he works there too. His name is Kris and he's just about a year older than me. He must have been just a baby when you worked here so you probably don't even remember him, probably never even saw him.He has an important job in the advertising department, a really good job there. In fact he runs that department. And he's good at it. He and his brother work together. And guess what! They are Mr.Darling's kids, the sons of the CEO."

"Don't get upset Mom. How could you even think he wouldn't be the right guy for me? You haven't even met him. Or if you did he was just a baby. You left here when he was still in his cradle,remember? He's a good looking guy. Like me and his dad, he has deep green eyes. He's very tall, like his dad, but only stands an inch or so taller than me. And he's blonde like me too. Funny we are so close in age and coloring. He's like his dad in the lady killer looks too. I just know he has had lots of loves but right now I am his only girl,he says."

"What's that? No don't be silly. You know I wouldn't start an affair so early in a new relationship. No I haven't slept with him or anything like that--- well not yet at least For heaven's sake give me some time. And some credit for good sense too. But he's so loveable. I just know we could be a good pair. He is interested in his career too,like I am in mine "

" No I won't promise not to move in with him in the future,or even not to have a physical relationship. There's no reason why we shouldn't if both of us decide to. But don't get so upset over it. You're starting to sound very provincial, and that's not like you. After all, you had a chance at a big career and you chose to go back to that little town and get married and raise me. You made your own choices then, but mine don't have to be yours. You probably, well might have, been propositioned by the boss if you had stayed, so why would my being propositioned by the boss's son upset you? If it happens, it happens. It's not like we're related or anything "

February 22, 2023 03:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

David Sweet
13:31 Feb 26, 2023

I enjoyed the dramatic irony here. I wish we could have had more of the mother's actual words, which could have added even more to the complexity of the situation as we could have heard her voice dodge and try to persuade her daughter without just wanting to come out and say the obvious. It reads more like a dramatic monologue, but we can get the suggested dialogue.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.