16 comments

Drama

Another half...

„And these are the keys to your new home. Your keys now.” The real estate lady said smiling. Ava took them, an admired the set of keys for a while in the palm of her hand. She took a deep breath and put the keys in her bag.

It was only a fifteen-minute walk to her new apartment. The sun was out; she felt good!

Number 69, she thought as she opened the front door, My place!

She walked around a little and opened the terrace door. She looked at the children playing in the parc.

This looks like a good place, she thought to herself. She started to feel a little irritated when the movers didn´t show up on time.

When she finally could see the van, she went downstairs to meet the movers. It took a little under an hour to move everything into her new apartment and she started unpacking as soon as they left.

She paused when her back started to hurt. Ava opened the fridge and took out a bottle of champagne she had bought to christen her new place.

She drank her glass on the balcony, enjoying the sun, setting in the treetops of the parc.

Next day was Sunday and she spent most of it arranging and decorating her new home. She went to bed that night, feeling a little tense, but she brushed it off as fatigue, and dozed off.

Her office was a short walk. She didn´t need a car anymore to get there:

Adieu morning traffic stress! She laughed at the thought.

Her colleagues had decided to throw her a BBQ. They could do it in the parc, across the street from her new place. She accepted happily.

When she walked home after work, she had this nagging feeling, but she couldn´t pinpoint its origins.

Must be the so-called movers blues so many people talked about, she thought to herself.

She decided to treat herself to a new dress for the BBQ. She skipped lunch and went shopping for a little black dress. She had strolled the internet the night before, and she knew exactly what she wanted and where to get it.

“69, - €” the girl behind the counter said.

69, Ava repeated in a reverberating way. She picked up the bag and went back to the office. The afternoon flew by and before she new it, workday was over.

She picked up the mail from the mailbox before she went up. She noticed people were decorating a neighbour’s house with balloons and flowers.

One of the letters in the mail was a new credit card; the code had a -69- in the middle.

That will be an easy one to remember, she closed her eyes and memorized the number the pin code.

Saturday afternoon she made her way across the street to the parc, where her friends and colleagues had already started to put everything up for the BBQ. It all looked incredibly beautiful, paper plates in lively colours and candles and sweet-scented flowers made it a scene out of a fairy-tale.

Esme, her best friend, was dressed to impress and impatiently awaiting Ava´s arrival. Esme was the one who organized the BBQ.

“Let´s heat up this baby!” she smiled when she saw Ava coming towards her.

Somebody put the music on:

Summer of 69.

Ava startled.

“What´s the matter hun, you look a little pale.” Esme remarqued.

“What is it with this number?” Ava said, “it keeps popping up.”

Esme looked at her with question marks in her eyes.

“Everywhere I go, I bump into the number 69.” Ava smiled.

“Oh, la la,” Esme laughed, “there could be a message there!” she picked up her wine glass and took a zip of it. “Go mingle! This BBQ is in your honour.”

Ava smiled and walked towards the other people and opened a few housewarming gifts.

After a great evening of delicious food and great music, it was time to clean up. Ava ran quickly across the street to get some cleaning utensils from her apartment. When she came back, Esme noticed something was off.

“What´s the matter, hon? You look like you´ve seen a ghost.”

Ava smiled a little crooked smile, but Esme insisted on an answer.

“You know,” Ava started, “There´s an old lady living one flight below me and she´s having her birthday today.”

“That´s great!” Esme jumped in, “We have some unopened wine bottles left over. Give her one as a present. Here take a ribbon to put around it.”

“Yes, that´s a good idea.” Ava replied a little dry. “Guess her age!” Ava went on.

Esme shook her shoulders: “How should I know? I never seen that woman.”

“69!” Ava said, “The balloons make out a 69 on her door! I keep seeing, getting, bumping in to 69 no matter where I turn ever since I moved I here. I close my eyes: 69!”

Esme put down the trash bag she was closing and said:

“Well, maybe it is a message. A sizzling message!” she teased. But her little joke didn´t make Ava laugh.

“You know what? I know a great lady who can help with that kind of things.” Esme continued.

Ava waved with her hands: “Numerology? Not my thing!”

“No! nothing like that,” Esme said, “this woman is very good. She´s a life coach too. You´ll see. Let me make an appointment, what do you have to lose?”

They finished tidying up the place where they had spent the beautiful evening. Esme hugged her friend and got in her car. Ava waved her off, then went in and put the bottle at the door of the 69-year-old birthday girl.

She took a quick shower and went to bed. Sleep didn´t come easy. She kept waking up out of flashes of violent dreams. The next morning, she had a headache. She lay staring at the ceiling for a while and was startled by her cell phone.

“Hi love!”

Esme, Ava thought. Of course, who else would come up with the idea of calling on a Sunday morning. She rubbed her eyes and said good morning to Esme.

“Hope you´re dressed. I´ll be there in twenty minutes.”

“What?” Ava asked.

“Where going to see Emmeline.”

“Who?” Ava was confused and pushed the covers away.

“The lady I told you about yesterday. I called her and she´s expecting us!” Ava could hear the enthusiasm in Esme voice.

“Really?” Ava whined, “I have a headache.”

“Take an aspirin and hit the shower! I´ll be there soon. Make sure you´re ready to jump in my car, I´m not coming up.” And Esme hung up the phone.

Ava reluctantly went to the shower.

Esme…, she thought. Once she had an idea in her head….

Twenty minutes later she got into Esme´s car.

“How´s the headache?”

“Still there.” Ava replied.

“You look lovely in that dress. Orange is a very soothing colour. Emmeline thought me that.” Esme babbled.

“Why didn´t you take an aspirin?” Esme asked.

“Because they make me nauseous.”

“Just relax. Here! Put on my sunglasses.” Esme kept on talking about what a beautiful evening they had and then she switched to Emmeline.

“A great lady! Special and incredibly wise. She´s a healer too.”

” What´s that got to do with my number 69?” Ava asked, “Haven´t seen it since yesterday.”

“You´ll see.” Esme simply said.

After a half hour drive, they stopped in front of a beautiful terracotta house surrounded by an abundance of flowers. Emmeline was already outside waiting for them. She was wearing a beautiful blue kaftan and had a disarming smile.

“Welcome! I´m so glad you´re here. Come on in, I´ll make us some tea.” Emmeline´s voice almost sounded like music. She took the two young women to a terrace with a sprinkling fountain and a lot of windchimes with little bells, that made the place look like a fairy garden.

“Isn´t this beautiful?” Esme asked.

“It sure is!” Ava replied.

A few minutes later Emmeline came back with a tray of sandwiches and tea. She served tea and presented them with a sandwich. Ava declined.

“She has a headache.” Esme said with her mouth full of sandwich.

“Oh,” Emmeline said, “let me help you with that. Just put your head back.”

She gently pushed ava back in the comfortable cushion chair and started to massage her temples.

“You are so tense.” Emmeline said, while she was massaging her neck all the way down to her clavicles. “Just breathe in through your nose and breathe out through your mouth.!

Ava did as Emmeline said.

“There now, isn´t that better?” she asked when she could feel Ava relaxing. “I´ll get you some water.”

“No, no!” Esme jumped out of her chair, “I´ll do that. You two get acquainted.” And she disappeared in the house.

Emmeline gently put a hand on Ava´s shoulder. “Tell me dear, what is troubling you?”

“Oh, it´s silly really,” Ava laughed a little shy. “I just moved to a very beautiful apartment. Lots of light and across from a parc with beautiful trees. It´s only a fifteen-minute walk to my office. Esme works there too. I really love it all!”

When Ava was finished talking, Emmeline took a deep breath:

“Good!” she said with a with a loving look in her eyes, “But you didn´t answer my question.” Emmeline shook her head when Ava questioned her with her eyes.

“Something is bothering you. Or troubling you.” Emmeline continued, “What is it?”

“I feel so silly!” Ava said, “Everything is going so well for me, and yet….” Ava paused for a few seconds. “I can´t get rid of this nagging feeling I cannot name nor put my finger on.”

“Oh, and I keep seeing the number 69 everywhere.” Ava giggled a little.

“A twin flame!” Emmeline said.

“You were born of twins.”

“I don´t think so.” Ava interrupted Emmeline.

Ava got tense again.

“No! don´t do that!” Emmeline said, while she pushed Ava softly back in the seat.

“Just stay relaxed please.” She took Ava´s hand and continued:

“You feel a void inside of you that´s always been there; come to terms with the past and learn to forgive.” She gently stroked Ava´s hand, “An important message is trying to get through to you. But you have to be open to it.”

“That sounds all very good and well.” Ava smiled.

“I sense a little cynicism,” Emmeline said with a serious expression on her face this time, “There really is nothing to fear.”

Ava started to blush, “What is that you said about twins?” she asked.

“There´s another half of you!”

Esme came back out with a big carafe of water.

“Took you long enough.” Ava smiled. She knew Esme kept her distance for a purpose.

Before they left, Emmeline took Ava´s hands gently into hers:

“Everything will be all right, child. Just keep an open mind and soften your heart!”. She gave Ava a kiss on her forehead and waved the women goodbye.

“How do you feel now?” Esme asked.

“Relaxed. And calm.” Ava answered softly.

The two friends hugged each other, and Ava went back up to her apartment. She met her neighbour in the hallway. The old woman thanked her for the lovely present and asked if he cared to come share a glass of wine with her.

“Rain check.” Ava smiled, “I have a terrible headache.”. It was a lie. The headache she felt that morning was gone.

She slept easier that night and dreamed of Emmeline’s Garden. Next day she went to work with a clear head and a rested body. Over lunch she went to a hamburger place because Esme craved fast food.

“6,90, -€” the cashier said when she paid. Esme started laughing.

After work Ava walked home with a strange sense of anticipation. She picked up the mail, waved at her friendly neighbour and went inside.

She leafed through the mail and stopped at the letter of a lawyer’s office she had never heard off. She ripped open the envelope:

Dear Madam,

Our office had the pleasure of being approached with a request addressed to you.

The request made to us consists of our client´s wish to establish an acquaintance with you.

I hope you can find thirty minutes to talk to me.

Please contact me.

Attached: please find the personal details of my client, at his request his birth certificate has been added.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration of my request.

best regards.

She stood as if nailed to the floor, frozen in time. she went over the birth certificate at least twenty times. The birthmothers name was the same as her… birthmother. As was the date of birth!

She saw Emmeline before her mind’s eye:

“There is another half of you.”

She dropped onto the couch and started crying. She let the tears flow uncontrollably.

First thing next morning she called the lawyers office and they agreed on a date in ten days.

Over the weekend she was much too excited to sit calmly indoors. She called Esme and asked if she could give her a ride to Emmeline’s place. Esme was more than happy to oblige.

When they got there, Emmeline was already outside, clearly waiting for them.

“You called her?” Ava asked.

“No. I thought you had made an appointment. Haven´t you.” Esme replied a little uncomfortable. She never came see Emeline without telling her first.

“Sorry about…” Esme started as she got out of the car. But Emmeline friendly waved her to silence.

“Not to worry dear, I knew you were coming!”

Esme´s eyes grew wide:

“What is going on here?” she asked.

“I´m so happy for you!” said Emmeline looking at Ava, who had lost her voice:

“You were so right!” she whispered, “how did you know?”

Esme looked in surprise from one woman to the other:

“Hello, I´m happy too! What’s going on?”

“I hope the void inside you disappears now.” Emmeline started, “Activate the torch inside of you and shine for the whole world to see!”

Ava threw her arms around Emmeline:

“Thank you” she whispered.

“I didn´t do anything.” Emmeline said. “Thank the lovely Esme for bringing you here.”

Ava turned around and hugged the still baffled Esme.

Emmeline served tea and they chatted happily for over an hour. When they were about to leave, Ava said:

“I never asked you how much I won you.”

“69, - € sound fair?” Emmeline asked.

They all laughed! 

July 19, 2021 16:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

This was a great story! I loved the way you used the dialogue. It was actually a bit hard for me to understand. Good job! -Breckin N. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Henry Cobbett
18:55 Jul 25, 2021

I decided to start from the other end of the listing today; which decision was rewarded by your story. I wonder if Ava got on well with her birth mother? Half way through I realised that I am truthfully 69. Don't worry, I shall be 70 in September, so it probably doesn't count. Congratulations on a fun story.

Reply

F.O. Morier
17:25 Jul 26, 2021

hi there you´re making my day with your nice comment. I have a problem with "short stories" the word count it was squeezes the juices out of me- I´m frickle like that I suppose. But there a good exercise. No - Ava did not get along with her birthmother - as part of the complete story. i wish you a happy birtday in advance! fati

Reply

Show 0 replies
F.O. Morier
17:25 Jul 26, 2021

hi there you´re making my day with your nice comment. I have a problem with "short stories" the word count it was squeezes the juices out of me- I´m frickle like that I suppose. But there a good exercise. No - Ava did not get along with her birthmother - as part of the complete story. i wish you a happy birtday in advance! fati

Reply

Show 0 replies
F.O. Morier
17:26 Jul 26, 2021

hi there you´re making my day with your nice comment. I have a problem with "short stories" the word count it was squeezes the juices out of me- I´m frickle like that I suppose. But there a good exercise. No - Ava did not get along with her birthmother - as part of the complete story. i wish you a happy birtday in advance! fati

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 14 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.