2 comments

Historical Fiction Romance

Viscount Jacob Henry Greenbury certainly had not been expecting to meet the love of his life at the festival that Duchess Genevieve Addington was holding. In fact, he hadn't even desired to attend the festival. So, naturally, that is what transpired.

Viscount Greenbury had griped about attending the festival to his mother, Countess Vivian Greenbury. "But Mother," he moaned like a little whining child. "It'll be horrible and terribly boring and I won't know anyone at all there." However, she had ordered him to be present, saying that it was his duty as the eldest male child, and he must escort his sister, Lady Violet, so he left Greenbury House at ten o'clock sharp in the morning in a carriage, with Violet on his arm.

When the two arrived at the festival, they were immediately introduced to a great variety of people by the Duchess Addington. The Greenbury family was quite popular at the time, therefore everybody wanted to be a part of the eligible family.

The first person and one of two that Jacob would remember was a polite, kind young woman named Lady Beatrice Ashton, who was chaperoned by her brother, a man by the name of Lord Harold Ashton.

Lady Ashton curtsied to Jacob and nodded to Violet, smiling charmingly as she did so. Lord Ashton shook Jacob's hand gruffly and kissed Violet's rather politely. "It is an honour to meet you, Lady Greenbury," he said to Violet. "And to Your Grace." He nodded in Jacob's direction, obviously enthralled by Violet.

She was, after all, quite beautiful, with porcelain skin and rosy cheeks, not to mention her kind and polite demeanour and sparkling violet eyes. Violet had been named for the colour of her eyes, a rich purple that many young men lost themselves in.

The powdery-blue summer frock that she was wearing accentuated her figure well, but flowed over her body at the same time.

Jacob cleared his throat, for Violet and Lord Ashton were becoming a tad too comfortable for Jacob's tastes. "We should move on, I think, sister." He held out his silk-encased arm, and Violet took it reluctantly, not wanting to depart.

They walked some distance before running into Duchess Genevieve again. "Ah, there you are, Your Grace," she said happily. "Have you made the acquaintance of Miss White yet?" Jacob started, realising that she was talking to him. "Pardon?" he asked. "Oh! No, I have not made her acquaintance."

The duchess raised her eyebrows. "No? Well then, I believe it is high time. Miss White?"

A lovely woman of about sixteen floated over to the duchess's side. "Yes, Auntie?" she asked, curtsying before she spoke. "What seems to be the matter?" Jacob began to sweat from the heat. He was not wearing appropriate clothing for such a warm day, for he had a full black suit and tailored jacket on to match. Definitely not the best choice for a sunny summer day, but he had been rushed in the morning to prepare himself for the day ahead.

Duchess Genevieve waved her hand absentmindedly. "Oh, nothing, darling. I just wished you to make the acquaintance of Viscount Greenbury, that's all."

Miss White blushed a deep pink. "Viscount, is it? I would be delighted, Your Grace." Jacob kissed her gloved hand, and Miss White blushed again. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Duchess Genevieve beamed with pride. "Yes, Evelyn is my darling niece, and may I say? My favourite niece."

"Lovely," Jacob said sincerely. "I look forward to seeing you again, Miss Evelyn." It was quite forward of him to use the young lady's first name, but he was feeling reckless today. "And you, Viscount Greenbury." Miss Evelyn flashed him a charming smile.

Miss White took her luncheon with Jacob that day. "Well, isn't this lovely," she remarked. "Indeed," Jacob agreed. "Quite a pleasant day it has become." He bit into a cucumber-and-cheese sandwich and chewed. "Oh, look! there is a beautiful swallow over yonder!" Evelyn said suddenly. "Where?" Jacob asked, looking for the bird. Evelyn took his hand in her ungloved one and guided his finger to point at the swallow. Jacob suddenly felt butterflies fill his stomach at her touch.

Evelyn stayed with Jacob for the rest of the day, showing him around her aunt's park, for Violet had disappeared with her dearest friend of thirteen seasons, Lady Daphne Cressby, around luncheon. "And here is my favourite fountain, Your Grace. I call it the Swan, and you can see why." Evelyn ended her tour with a curtsy.

Jacob waited until she had finished and said, "Oh, please call me by my name, Miss White."

"Then, what is your name?" she asked him. "It's Jacob," Jacob replied. "Well, Jacob, call me by my name then. And, for further reference, my name is Evelyn." She smiled, and Jacob felt like there was no one else in the world who was of any importance. Just he and Evelyn.

Later, when Jacob and Violet were returning home in the carriage, she asked him inquiringly, "Where were you this fine day?" She raised her sculpted eyebrows, leaning forward in her seat. "Were you perhaps with the lovely Miss White?"

"Pardon?" Jacob asked, coming out of a reverie about Evelyn's beautiful dress, white and flowing over her body, and the body that it covered.

Violet repeated her question. "I may have been," Jacob answered in a mysterious way, that made her want to know the true answer, for she was sure of the fact that he was lying. "But it is of no importance to you." Violet humphed and crossed her arms stubbornly. "Very well," she said, turning her face to the window.

Satisfied that she had deigned to inquire more about his lovely afternoon with Evelyn, Jacob sat back and, unintentionally, his thoughts turned back to Miss White.

And in that moment, Jacob thought that he did not possess his heart any longer. It belonged to Evelyn Lily White, the love of his life, his beautiful princess, and the apple of his eye.

May 09, 2021 19:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Serena Johnston
14:37 May 10, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.