151 comments

General

The evening sun cast long shadows on the ground. The slanting rays of the setting sun gave a warm orange tinge to the sky. What a beautiful scenery! Today is your big day. You looked yourself in the mirror and smiled. You were preparing for your date that evening and was truly excited to see Isabella. Had it already been two years since Isabella and you being together? You started remembering the first time you saw her and you’d knew that she is your girl. You just knew it. And, today, being it is your anniversary, you were planning on telling her how much you love her by giving her a promise ring. Isabella was aware of your intense feelings. However, she doesn’t know that one day you dream of marrying her. Yes, that is how serious you are about your relationship.


That’s because you felt that everything in your world has been perfect. During your high school days, many of your friends have broken up or argue all the time – well you and Isabella are different. Both of you barely argue, as you have so much in common with Isabella and, quite frankly, nothing else can make a life better. However.....if the two of you broke up for any reason, you don’t know what you’d do. Would you cry? Would you argue and shout at her? As a guy, you hope you would not. It’s just that she has such a huge impact on you and you would end up crying your heart out and doing things that will make you regret later. Whatever you do, there’s one thing for sure. You would never or ever trust anyone again.


Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep


You saw your computer was buzzing with emails. You glanced at your watch and realized that you had been way up too early for your date. As you were checking your email, you notice a letter that makes you stop in your tracks.


It was from Isabella.....


Dear Drake,

I'll always have a special place in my heart for you. At times, our relationship felt like it was the best thing that had ever happened to me, but lately, everything has felt wrong. It pains me to admit this, but my love for you has faded away. I feel like it would be best if we ended our relationship.

I can't stay in a relationship where there is no love, and it isn't fair to you to be stuck in a relationship that's a lie. I hope you're able to move on and meet someone who will love you the way you deserve to be loved. And I’m sorry Drake to ruin our three years of anniversary day. I can’t do this anymore. I’m sorry.


Sincerely,

Belle


Your eyes were filled to the brim with tears. You could hold the heartbreak no longer and you fell to the floor in a disheveled heap as your grief poured out in a flood of uncontrollable tears. How could she? You thought to yourself. After three whole years....three whole, perfect years she wants to end of relationship? What gives?


Hours went by. Your tears were starting to dry up. You could still remember the day you first met her. You could feel the memories of her being with you flooding back.

__________________________________________


~Flashback~

You were a pretty normal teenage boy, just a lot more quiet and independent than other students in your school. You didn’t find a lot of friends you liked or girls who stood out to you. But that all changed when a new student was introduced to your class one day. Her name was Isabella. Isabella was a beautiful girl with a lily-white flawless skin. Unlike all of the other girls in your class, she didn’t wear make-up. All of her beauty was purely natural.


“Class, this is Isabella. She came all the way from France and is happy to be here at our school,” Mrs. Sophie, your English teacher announced. “Why don’t you go sit in that empty seat next to Drake?”


Your heart raced. She was going to sit next to you! She smiled and sat down. Later, in the cafeteria, you noticed that Isabella was sitting alone at a table writing in her journal. You finally got up the courage and went to introduce yourself to her.


“Hi! You were the boy I sat next to, right?” You nodded. “Yeah, I’m Drake. I noticed you were sitting alone and….I was just wondering if I could sit here with you as I don’t have much of a group to sit with either,” You said. She told you that would be fine with a smile plastered across her face that makes your heart flutter.


Minutes seemed like hours as both of you talked about everything. She told you all about her family and how was her life in France. She also told you that she seemed nervous to transfer to a new school as she’s a bit of an introvert and is not quick in making friends. When she told you she had never had a boyfriend, you were struck in the head. To make it casual, you started another conversation bringing up the school prom dance. “My friends and I will be there. Would you like to go with me then?” You asked. She had a surprised and bewildered look on her face that can’t be described. “I’d love to,” she whispered. The bell rang. You told Isabella that you would see her in three days at the dance.


Three days passed. The night had arrived. You cleared your anxious mind and looked at the clock. It was 7.30 p.m. You looked at the mirror and combed back your brown hair with your hands. You still couldn’t quite absorb the fact that you were taking the most beautiful, kindhearted girl in your school to the dance. Just then the double doors opened, and Isabella walked in. She was even more beautiful than the day you saw her with her red and white patterned sleeveless dress.


“You look amazing. Do you want to dance?” You asked her. She hesitated at first, but then she agreed. You led her to the dance floor. It began to go smoothly.

“Drake?” she whispered

“Yeah?” You said.

“Thank you so much, Drake. This means so much to me. I mean I’ve always been lonely until you came. You showed me how to open up to others and I’m grateful for that. I know I came here just a few days ago, but for me, it seems that I’ve known you forever”


A tear rolled down her cheek. She looked up at you. “I’m sorry…..I just…” Without thinking, you lightly kissed her. But to your surprise, she didn’t draw back. Both of you were smiling and laughing at each other. That day was a perfect night for both of you.

__________________________________________

“Hey, Drake!”

You were shaken up a bit. You turned around and looked up. It was Andy, your best friend.

“Is everything okay?”

“NO, I'm not…Who the hell did she think she is? Just breaking up with me with no valid reason. I doubt she has been cheating behind my back…”

“Drake, hadn’t she tell you?”

“Tell me what…”

“Belle has cancer. She has probably only a year or a few months left to live. She loved you so much that she wanted you to move on. She can’t bear the thought of hurting you,”


Andy continued to speak but you weren’t listening to him anymore. Your mind was filled with so much information that you weren’t thinking straight anymore. You looked back at the promise ring you were planning to give to Isabella. As of now, this ring will be called a wedding ring. You vowed to marry Isabella and promised to protect her and stay with her as long as she lives.


Through her challenges and problems, she will face in her life.


No matter what. Always and forever.

June 26, 2020 10:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

151 comments

נιмму 🤎
18:12 Jul 01, 2020

woahhh ok I really liked this. It gave me a lot of emotions, and I felt for Drake. Like, how could she do this? And then the flashback was really essential to the story, because it gives you more of an idea of how their relationship was, and it got me wondering: what did he do wrong? Like this guy is perfect and really loves her. And then the twist to find out she has cancer like I felt that. And thennn he still marries her and supports her despite everything :) I love that, so touching. Great job! Very well written;D

Reply

00:30 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you so much Celeste! I'm glad you liked it! Really appreciate your feedback Celeste! It has made my day!😊 Have a great day Celeste!❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Noor Ahmed
16:52 Oct 04, 2020

Hey! How are you? Where did you go :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jubilee Forbess
15:05 Jun 26, 2020

Is your profile picture the Chicken Girls?

Reply

15:13 Jun 26, 2020

Yeah...It is, Rhondalise! Are you a fan of CG too?

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:15 Jun 26, 2020

You know, I had a while when it was all I would watch. Not exactly because I was a fan, but my younger brother definitely was... so we watched and watched and rewatched. His favorite was always Birdie, I think.

Reply

15:21 Jun 26, 2020

Wow...glad to know! That series was actually worth watching many times. I'm never bored watching that series! It was really good...and I'm excited for season 7 to release. But, I felt kind of sad too when they said they were going to air in September.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:38 Jun 26, 2020

Oh, my brother is going to FLIP out when he hears that. He thought they were gone for good. I'll have to tell him he has fellow fans in wherever you are. We're in the US. You know what I was thinking too, and this is completely random, but wouldn't it be kind of cool if when the whole pandemic thing calmed down there was a Reedsy live convention? But it was also like a masquerade so no one knew who was who and what stories they wrote and where they were on the leaderboard and all that? It's a daydream of mine, you know.

Reply

15:49 Jun 26, 2020

Yeah, I was also shock to find out that season 7 will be release soon.I can already see the smile on your brother's face! Glad to know he loved them so much! Wow...this idea is so cool Rhondalise! Yes, it would be great to meet other writers and also get to have a chat and learn a lot from you all ! Good luck in making it true! If that happens, don't forget to count me in! 😁

Reply

Show 1 reply
Anoushka Jain
17:30 Jun 26, 2020

I saw this comment and immediately had to tell you that this would honestly be so awesome. I would love this!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
12:42 Jun 26, 2020

Very good story. A great suspense at the end too. Good job Harshini!

Reply

13:52 Jun 26, 2020

Thank you so much Roshna! I'm glad you liked it! Also, I really appreciate you reading and commenting my story!😊 Have a great day Roshna!❤️️

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
13:54 Jun 26, 2020

Not a problem Harshini🙂 If you get time, please check out my story too. Thanks! ❤️

Reply

13:58 Jun 26, 2020

Sure, Roshna! I'll definitely check your stories out!😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya M.
23:02 Mar 13, 2021

This is like half a year after you posted this story, but wow! I mean wow! I really felt a lot reading this story, and I connected with Drake too. A lovely story packed with suspense and emotion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:47 Sep 24, 2020

Hey, Harshini would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time

Reply

12:23 Sep 26, 2020

Wow, sure Prathamesh! I would love to! Thanks for recommending! :)))

Reply

13:30 Sep 27, 2020

Thank you my pleasure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
13:02 Aug 24, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story The Secret Organisation { Part 2 }

Reply

15:11 Sep 02, 2020

Hi Amogh! I just saw your review on my story! Thank you so much Amogh! Sure, I will check it out right away! :))

Reply

Amogh Kasat
02:10 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks

Reply

14:45 Sep 03, 2020

No prob :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tina Laing
00:39 Jul 05, 2020

A very nice story.

Reply

02:35 Jul 05, 2020

Thank you Tina! :))) Have a great day Tina!❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
20:37 Jun 30, 2020

Beautifully written, Harshini! Honestly your stories are always good! It was detailed and clear which is always good for a story! Just so you know I'm a fan of the Chicken Girls too!

Reply

01:47 Jul 01, 2020

Thank you so much, Evelyn! That means so much coming from you! 😊 Yessssss, me too! Are you excited that season 7 is going to air in September? I'm so excited but at the moment sad too as it has a long way to go...

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
17:35 Jul 01, 2020

Your welcome! I cannot wait for the 7th season! I have just been rewatching every episode to catch up. September is so far away and I can't wait that long!! Who's your favorite character?

Reply

00:27 Jul 02, 2020

Yeah, me too! A hard question for me actually!😅 I love all the chicken girls( Rhyme, Kayla, Ellie and Quinn)! I also love TK and Ezra! Frankly speaking, all the characters from Chicken Girls were great! And I'm finding a hard time to choose one as my favourite! What about you Evelyn?

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
13:48 Jul 02, 2020

I really like Rhyme and TK. But as you said I like all of them and I can't wait for the next season! I really hope it'll be a good one though!

Reply

13:56 Jul 02, 2020

Yeah, me too! I'm really excited! Hope season 7 will be AWESOME as always!😊😄

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tvisha Yerra
01:09 Jun 30, 2020

Love the story! It was so beautiful, and so many twists! But one thing, it was a tiny bit fast-paced, too fast that I couldn't really keep up (no offense). Maybe if the story was a tiny bit longer, we'd get to actually know the characters, and feel their pain. Great story, though! Looked forward to reading more! Stay safe :)

Reply

01:40 Jun 30, 2020

Thank you so much Tvisha! I really appreciate you reading and commenting my story!😊 Great feedback! Okay, got it Tvisha! I will try my best to make my stories a bit longer! Thank you!😊😉 Have a great day Tvisha!❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
𝔸. Triangle
20:41 Jun 27, 2020

Great use of description! I personally enjoyed the last few lines of your story and how it ended as well. Sincerely, A.

Reply

01:52 Jun 28, 2020

Thank you Anna! Really appreciate this comment from you!😉 Keep writing and have a great day Anna! :)))

Reply

𝔸. Triangle
03:38 Jun 28, 2020

Thanks and you too! -A.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
17:12 Jun 27, 2020

Very superb story. Well written so you were able to move along like being on a sailboat. Seems like there could be a sequel. 😀

Reply

01:50 Jun 28, 2020

Thank you so much Corey! I really appreciate this feedback you gave me! Yeah, I'm considering doing a sequel for this story...I'm glad you liked it Corey!😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelechi Nwokoma
07:27 Jun 27, 2020

Wow! Harshini, this is so good. At first, I was like "this Isabella is a real jerk for breaking up with me like that" But when I heard she had cancer, I was so touched. I only saw grammatical errors in your work, from the first paragraph till the end. Two suggestions: either you give someone your work to proofread it (its easier to spot errors when you're not the one reading your work) or you download Grammarly to help you as you proofread yourself. I use Grammarly, and it has saved me countless of times. Other than that, this is a well-...

Reply

08:30 Jun 27, 2020

Thank you so much Kelechi! I really appreciate this feedback you gave me! Sure, I will check it out then! 😊😉 Thank you Kelechi and have a great day!❤️️

Reply

Kelechi Nwokoma
09:53 Jun 27, 2020

You're welcome! Have a great day, too😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ranya Navarez
00:18 Jun 27, 2020

That was sweet!

Reply

01:57 Jun 27, 2020

Thank you Ranya! I really appreciate you reading and commenting on my story!😊

Reply

Ranya Navarez
02:23 Jun 27, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:22 Nov 10, 2020

Hii, Harshini Sorry to intervene, in this brutal manner, I have a request for you would be kind to give a single glance over the vehicle which my team had been working over months. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHX5VUPBJOp/?igshid=5f72nb3cgg30 Sorry to take your time and If possible like the post.Because this would help team to win

Reply

14:49 Feb 13, 2021

Hii, Prathemesh. Sure. Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been online for months.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:50 Feb 13, 2021

Hii, Prathemesh. Sure. Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been online for months.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:50 Feb 13, 2021

Hii, Prathemesh. Sure. Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been online for months.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 50 replies
Elliot Thomas
19:57 Sep 11, 2020

This is an endearing story. Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Evelyn ⭐️
20:03 Sep 07, 2020

Hey Harshini! We haven't talked in the longest time! I finished the Chicken Girls!!! It was so good! Oh and also loved this story, great job! I miss your writing! Where'd you go? No just kidding, I totally understand with school and all. I start tomorrow! YAY (😢😢😢)!!! I have a couple new stories out too, if you wanna check them out. You don't have to though I know your busy I just miss your feedback!!!

Reply

09:49 Sep 08, 2020

Hey Emily! Yeah, it's been a long time since we talked. How are you? Me too. Chicken Girls is really worth watching!!! I think the Chicken Girls are back, right? But not to be rude, I really kind of miss the original cast of CG...it is incomplete without them. I saw the trailer( season 7) just a few days ago...and I felt really sad when it's not the original cast...I'm gonna miss everyone especially Rhyme, TK, Ellie, Kayla, Rooney, Ezra, Ace, Flash, Birdie and all. Wow...how was sch??? Okay sure....I will check it out.No, it's okay. I ...

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
12:36 Sep 08, 2020

Yep, it is sad without the original cast. They were all my favorites. But the seasons that they were in were very good! Thank you! I hope to talk to you again soon!

Reply

12:39 Sep 10, 2020

Yeah, I really miss them a lot...nobody can replace the original Chicken Girls.....The first episode of season 7 was released a few days ago..but I think I won't continue watching Chicken Girls again...It just further reminds me of the original cast...what about you?? You look so cool in your profile pic😉😊😊 Stay pretty always and take care. Hope to talk to you again!! :))))

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
21:00 Sep 10, 2020

I wasn't planning on watching it. Especially because I just finished watching the 6 seasons with the original cast and it's just not the same without them. And thank you so much! I'm literally blushing right now!☺️

Reply

06:36 Sep 16, 2020

Hii Evelyn Yeah, me too..sorry for replying late How's sch?? How was the zoom meeting with Rick Riordan? OMGG...You are so LUCKY....I'm a huge fan of him...he's such a great author😅😄😊 Hope to get a reply sooner Harshini🤞

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
08:20 Aug 31, 2020

Beautifully written!

Reply

15:09 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you Sarah! That means a lot to me! Have a great day Sarah! :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
03:25 Aug 02, 2020

Nice story. Touching. Loved it. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my story "The secret of power?"

Reply

03:26 Aug 02, 2020

Thank you Keerthan! 😁 Sure, I would check it out right away!😊 (I think I liked your story. Do you want me to give my thoughts on it?)

Reply

Keerththan 😀
03:37 Aug 02, 2020

Then thanks. Thank you for reading.

Reply

05:13 Aug 02, 2020

Sure, no problem!😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mry M
08:00 Jul 22, 2020

What a wonderful story. I like it.

Reply

08:05 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you Mary! That means a lot to me! Have a great day Mary!😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.