2 comments

Fantasy

Valerie always despised spring-cleaning, and for various reasons too. It was a tedious chore that took too long, more often than not it saw many things she had once cherished end up in the garbage or being sold, and it never seemed to actually occur in the Spring. This year was no different.

The spring-cleaning began midway through the summer and was miserably hot inside, even with the air conditioner running full tilt. Every aspect of the event was just as repetitive and boring as it had been the last every single year. And Valerie paused when she found an old toy that she had all but forgotten about.

“Mr. Shazzlefop,” Valerie whispered to herself as she picked up the strange ragdoll. Her aunt had given it to her when she was a little girl of about four years old. It had belonged to her aunt, and before that her grandmother. And before that her great grandmother, and so on and so forth, spanning back for generations. Valerie held the doll close to her chest and released a content sigh. Holding the warm cloth that made up Mr. Shazzlefop brought back pleasant, almost magical memories. Memories like pretending to search the meadows for pixies, or pulling playful tricks on gnomes in the forest. There were so many phenomenal remembrances of her childhood years.

The snug feeling washed away when Valerie remembered what she was doing. She couldn’t get rid of Mr. Shazzlefop. He didn’t belong in the trash, and she certainly wouldn’t sell him. But her dad had little use or understanding of family heirlooms, and wouldn’t let her keep the old ragdoll. Then she had an idea. Valerie could give Mr. Shazzlefop to her niece Alice.

The more Valerie thought about it, the more it seemed like the perfect idea. Alice was nearly five years old and was a sweet little girl, at least when she wanted to be. But the important thing was that Alice took good care of her toys. It also didn’t hurt that Alice lived about an hour’s drive away, and it would give Valerie an excuse to get away from the spring-cleaning­. Valerie poked her head outside of her room and yelled down the hall.

“Dad! Can I borrow the car?”

He didn’t yell back, but after a moment Valerie heard him trudge up the stairs and down the hall to her room.

“What do you want the car for Val?”

She held up Mr. Shazzlefop. “I thought that Alice might like this, and I’d rather give it to her than to throw it away or sell it.”

Valerie’s father stared at me for nearly a minute without saying a word.

“And this has nothing to do with getting out of the spring-cleaning?”

Her eyes clanked down at the floor, and she hugged Mr. Shazzlefop close to her body. “It mostly doesn’t have to do with getting out of the spring cleaning.” Valerie pouted.

Valerie’s father stood in her door for a moment more, looking around her room. “Tell you what,” he let out a long sigh, “finish going through your bookshelf and your closet, and you can head on over.” A grin grew on Valerie’s face, and she resumed her spring-cleaning efforts. Not even a minute passed before she heard her father clear his throat. She looked back to find him leaning in the doorway with an expectant look on his face.

“Thank you dad!” Valerie almost blurted out. As soon as the words left her lips he was walking back down the hall.

“You’re welcome Val.”

***

Upon seeing Valerie, Alice latched onto her with a delighted, yet deafening, squeal. It took a couple of minutes of giggles, tickles, and kisses to calm Alice down enough that Valerie could actually say hello.

Stephanie started. “So how goes the spring-cleaning?” Valerie gave her sister-in-law a quick glare. “That good eh.”

“Red doesn’t have you do it does he?”

Stephanie laughed. “Heaven’s no. At least, not the kind of spring-cleaning grandpa does. We actually do it in the Spring, and it is just tidying up the apartment.”

Valerie took a moment to raspberry her niece’s belly. “Lucky punks.”

“Indeed,” Stephanie grinned. “So what brings you over today? Getting out of spring-cleaning?”

“Not entirely,” Valerie put her niece down, much to Alice’s verbal disappointment. “I found something that I’d think Alice would like to have.” Valerie dashed back to the car, and came back with the old ragdoll. “This is Mr. Shazzlefop,” Valerie presented the doll to Alice. “He’s a very old toy that my auntie gave to me, and her mommy gave to her, and her mommy’s mommy gave to her…” Valerie paused for a moment when she noticed confusion begin to creep over Alice’s face. “Well, let’s just say it’s been in the family for a very long time.”

Alice looked at Mr. Shazzlefop, not quite sure what to make of him. “He’s kinda ugly,” she stated in a most matter of fact manner.

Both Stephanie and Valerie laughed. “Well you’re not wrong,” Valerie responded. “But he’s very special. Would you like to go with me and play with him?”

Alice looked up at her mother with pleading eyes. “Wha… Alice, really? You don’t need to give me that look. I was going to say yes anyways.” Alice squealed again, and ran out the door.

“Come on auntie Val!” and she was out the door.

“We won’t be too long,” Valerie told Stephanie as she followed her niece out the door. “Wait up you little scamp!” Valerie caught up to her niece and scooped Alice up in her arms. “Alright you little terror, would you like to head over to the park?”

Alice nodded her head with enthusiasm. “Yes please!”

Valerie put her niece back on the sidewalk, “Then let’s go.” Valerie took off at a playful run. “Race you there!”

Alice yelled, “No fair!” as she ran to catch up. “You’re cheating auntie Val!”

Valerie let Alice catch up, then gain the lead, and then she passed Alice again. This back and forth race went on until they made it to the parkland a couple of blocks down. “I guess you win this time.” Valerie let out an exaggerated gasp for air. “Wanna go play over in the trees?” Alice answered by running towards the small, forested, area of the park. “Now who’s cheating?” Valerie called out as she chased her niece.

When they got into the trees, Alice hid, and Valerie spent a good five minutes playing to find Alice as she tittered from behind one tree to another. Alice finally stopped hiding and ran up to her aunt. “I found you!” Alice exclaimed.

“Indeed you did you silly goose!” Valerie embraced Alice in a hug. “Now Alice, do you want me to tell you about Mr. Shazzlefop?” Alice, still wanting to run around and play, gave a shrug and a nod. “Well,” Valerie said while sitting down in the grass, “when I was a small girl, about your age my aunt Jamie gave me Mr. Shazzlefop.” Valerie handed the ragdoll to her niece, and Alice took it in her hands. “It was her favorite toy as a child, and she wanted me to have it. She told me that Mr. Shazzlefop was special.”

Alice sat down next to Valerie. “How was he special?” she asked, beginning to hold the ragdoll tightly in her arms.

“Well I was told that when you hold Mr. Shazzlefop in your arms in the woods and say the old poem, he comes to life.

“What’s a poem?”

Valerie laughed. “It’s kind of like some magic words Alice. Would you like to know them?” Alice nodded shyly with a gentle yes. “Okay.

“Dance around the old oak stump, frolic in the leaves.

“Take Mr. Shazzlefop into the world, with faeries, trolls, and stigs.

“Play in the sun, rest in the shade, a grand day to be had.

“Mr. Shazzlefop will go with you, and protect you from the bad.”

Alice laughed the sweet boisterous laugh of a young child. “That’s silly auntie Val.”

“It is, isn’t it little beast. Do you want to try it?” With Valerie’s help, Alice recited the poem. “Very good.” Valerie told Alice once she had finished.

“I’ll say, she almost did as good as you little Valerie.” Valerie went pale and Alice was beyond giddy with glee. The ragdoll worked its way out of Alice’s arms, politely and repeatedly saying, “Pardon me, excuse me,” to Alice as he wiggled free then sat crisscross on Alice’s lap. “Oh don’t look at me like that little Valerie,” it said with a sigh. It isn’t my fault you haven’t woken me up in so many years.”

“Wha… but… ho…”

“All fine almost questions little Valerie. Your aunt Jamie remembered when she passed me onto you. Every once in a while one of you stops playing with me too early, and you forget what I am. But the fun is still there, even if the memories are a bit muddled.”

Valerie reached forward and poked at Mr. Shazzlefop. “This can’t be real.”

Alice tilted her head in confusion. “Are you real?” she asked.

“I most certainly am real.” Mr. Shazzlefop snuffed, crossing his arms.

“But, that would mean, the dwarf…”

“Bogglebraid, he’s real too. So is Glim the sprite and Curl and wisp.” Shazzlefop leaned further towards Valerie on Alice’s lap. “I have to admit, of your family, you had some of the oddest fae friends. But they were a good lot.”

“This can’t be happening,” Valerie began muttering to herself. “Dad must’ve finally pushed me to far with that spring-cleaning that isn’t cleaning in the Spring, and I’ve finally had a mental breakdown.” She cupped her head in her hands.

“Alice, could you be a dear?” Mr. Shazzlefop asked of Alice. “Could you please lift me up to your aunt Valarie’s face?”

“And now I’m acknowledging that I’m having a breakdown,” Valerie continued. “Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I’m hallucinating so it’s probably bad.” Valerie lifted her head up from her hands to see the little ragdoll right in front of her face.

“You need to relax little Valerie. Have a boop.” Before Valerie could react, he reached out his cloth arm and booped her on the nose. Something about the boop made Valerie’s nose itch something fierce, and before she knew it she let out a violent sneeze. When Valerie opened her eyes after the sneeze, the world wasn’t quite right. The grass was much too long, the trees were much too tall, and Alice towered above her like a mountain.

“Oh my God!” Valerie screamed. But even she could tell that her voice was much quieter than it should have been. “What’s happened?”

“It’s nothing to worry about little Valerie.” Mr. Shazzlefop exclaimed. “Alice, would you like me to boop your nose too?” The ragdoll booped Alice’s nose before Valerie could form a protest, Alice let loose a colossal sneeze, and in an instant she was as small as Valerie. Without Alice’s hand holding him up, Mr. Shazzlefop came down into the grass with a limp thump. “Well I could’ve thought that through a little better,” Mr. Shazzlefop said while standing up and dusting himself off. Valerie ran up to the ragdoll, who was now just barely taller than she was.

“What have you done?”

“This? It’s just a small enchantment. We’ll turn you two back, right as rain, once Alice has had a little fun.”

Valerie turned to Alice, who was staring about with wonder, amazement, and not a hint of fear on her face. “A little fun? Is this even safe?”

“It’s perfectly safe little Valerie.” Mr. Shazzlefop reassured her. “I used to do this with you all the time, and you were never worse for wear. Now, let’s see what fae we have to play with around here.” He put his fingerless hand up to his mouth, and produced a musical whistle as though he was trying to hail a cab. “Oi, hello everyone. My name is Mr. Shazzlefop. I’m a thambuul, but some of you might know what I am by the term fae window. We don’t mean to scare you. I have a little child here who is sweet as pie and curious as a kitten. I also have a teenager who hasn’t been around fae for some years and is having difficulty being back. I’d be very pleased if a few of you would come forward to introduce yourselves.”

The trees were silent for a few moments, and then Alice let loose a mirthful squawk. “What are those?” Alice asked.

From all around, creatures began to crawl, float, walk, or move into view. Some were ethereal, and difficult to see clearly. Others looked like green little men with angular features. There were some who were short and stout, with scraggly beards. Creatures of various shapes and relative sized slowly came out to meet them.

“These are fae.” Mr. Shazzlefop said. “Fairy folk. All the ones around here are friendly and safe, though they appear to be a little skittish. They probably haven’t played with any humans in a long while.”

“Are those… dwarves?”

“Eye, they are dwarves little Valerie.” Mr. Shazzlefop turned to Alice. “How about you little Alice? Do you see anyone you’d want to play with?”

Alice glanced around at all of the strange and wondrous creatures. Her eyes were wide with amazement, but she still hid a bit behind her aunt.

“No need to be shy little Alice,” Mr. Shazzlefop told her. “But it’s okay for you to be so. This is very new for you, isn’t it?”

“Yes.” Alice said from behind Valerie. “What are they?” Alice asked while pointing up at wiry little people with short hair and multicolored butterfly wings.

“They’d be pixies. Would you like to be introduced to one?” Alice gave a meek nod. Mr. Shazzlefop gestured over at the pixies. They chatted amongst themselves before one came down.

“What’s your name?” Alice asked.

“Luppi,” the pixie replied.

“I’m Alice.”

“Nice to meet you Alice. Would you like to fly around a bit?”

Alice nodded an enthusiastic yes. Valerie heard the word fly and began to panic. Flying meant up in the air, and up in the air meant Alice could fall and get hurt.

“No,” Valerie stated very firmly while trying to get between Alice and Luppi. “No, no, no-no-no, no… no.”

“I’m sorry little Valerie,” Mr. Shazzlefop sighed, “but it looks like it’s been too long. Hopefully we’ll get to try again later, at a slower pace.” With that he spun her around, and booped her on the nose again.

“What th…” suddenly everything was dizzy, and started to go dark. The last thing Valerie heard was Mr. Shazzlefop’s voice.

“Don’t worry little Valerie, nothing bad’ll happen to her.”

***

Valerie woke up, leaning against a tree, her niece snuggled up close in the crook of Valerie’s arm, holding the ragdoll tight. She almost jerked upon seeing the ragdoll, but her brain began to process what she remembered with what she was experiencing now.

“A dream…” Valarie began to laugh. “Just a crazy dream.” She looked back down at Alice, and smiled, but a shiver still ran down Valerie’s spine when she saw Alice tightly holding Mr. Shazzlefop in her sleep. Valerie held her sleeping niece just a little bit tighter. “Just a crazy dream,” she told herself again.

And in Alice’s arms, Mr. Shazzlefop smiled.

October 01, 2020 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Gwyneria E
14:21 Oct 08, 2020

Hi John. I love the premise of your story and you followed the prompt so very nicely. I also liked that you tied in that as we grow older we are more "safe" and don't go along with unknowns as well as children do with their imagination. My only critique would be that it felt like in some places you over explained or reexplained things over and over. But I still loved your story. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

John Kieffer
16:07 Oct 08, 2020

I'm glad you liked the story Gwyneria. Being redundant and/or overly detailed is something I am needing to work on with my writing. Thank you for your input, the more feedback I get the more effectively I can work on my writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.