7 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction Western

Rustlers?

“You two gonna pag-nag back there all day? We got beeves to round-up. And I for one want to get back to the ranch house tonight for one decent meal for the week.”

“Lighten up there, K-Keyes. Who d-died and left you in ch-charge anyway? We all got equal b-billing with the B-big B-boss.”

“Then hustle up there, Stinky.”

“W-wish ya didn't call me that no m-more. That encounter with th-that polecat was so long ago his stripes have f-faded away by now and he would just be a c-cuddly p-pussycat.”

“Been calling you 'Stinky' for so long don't even know what your name was. What does it matter. We all go by some sort of nick-name. 'Slim' there because he is and 'Tiny' because he isn't. I don't even play the ivories much anymore yet you call me 'Keyes'. Just gotta keep with 'Stinky' 'cause it sticks. Quit ya belly-achin'.”

“Well, don't ya'll ever ca-a-all me late for dinner.”

“Don't worry so much, Tiny. You have enough saved up ya could miss a meal or two.”

“Ha-ha. Ya'll too funny!”

“Hey, Fellas, see what I sees?”

“What is it, Slim?”

“Couple riders atop that ridge yonder. Looks like they's a drivin' some beeves 'afore 'em. Think might be a rustlin' some of ours?”

“If they are that's a hanging offense. Let's ride over closer so they see us. If they bolt we know they are up no good and we can shoot them down. Stinky, you hang back some and keep your rifle trained on them for back-up. Otherwise, we just need to get their story. Could be passing through is all. Big Boss owns so much land it is impossible to always go around.”

“Sure is pretty land we're passing through, wouldn't you agree, Red Eagle? Grass so green stretching out far and wide. Trickle of a stream in that valley. Maybe we should steer these steers down there for a drink. Looks like they have that same idea anyway. Thirsty cattle can smell water and we have kept them on the move for a long spell already.”

“Harrumph.”

“Wonder whose land we are on? Haven't seen a homestead for over two days. Hope we aren't trespassing. Not all these landowners are the friendly type who don't mind you passing through.”

“Riders.”

“Yeah, I see them now. Don't have guns drawn. Maybe won't be a problem. Perhaps we can get their permission to carry on or they can point us to a way around if they don't want us here.”

“HOLD UP THERE! State your business, Strangers.”

“Howdy, Neighbors. We come on friendly terms. Name is Marcy, Ford Marcy. Just passing through on our way from Texas. Got about a hundred head of longhorns from my father's ranch down near Fort Worth that my friend, Red Eagle, and I are driving to his Osage tribe hold up in the Indian territory, northern part of Oklahoma. Sorry, we didn't know who this land belongs to in order to ask permission to pass. Would that be you?”

“Well, now it just might be. A hundred head, you say. That don't sound like it would be very profitable for all the trouble.”

“We aren't in it for the money. My father's cattle have been reproducing like crazy so now that the war is over he needs to move some of them. Red Eagles' people need the meat now they can't hunt buffalo. I am headed to Kansas to marry my sweetheart I met last spring on the wagon train I was leading westward. After some tragedies she bailed out and I promised I would be back. Oh, that's way too much information. The two of us couldn't wrangle any more than this herd. So here we are. Been eatin' dust 'bout two weeks already with about that much still to go. Do you need to see our ID papers? Guess that would stand in for a bill of sale. Pops is doing this out of the kindness of his heart. No money is exchanging hands.”

“You are right. That is more information than we need. Let us just take a look at the brands and make sure none of ours are accidentally getting mixed in.”

“Oh, by all means, but if that has happened it has been totally their own idea. Can't help it your fellas like the looks of our girls, you understand. You are welcome to cut them out. We have our hands full just keeping them together and headed in the right direction. Hard to keep count. We have been tracking in a general northeastern path following some of the rivers. Where exactly are we anyway?”

“Hey, Keyes, remembers what some of those drovers in town warns us about Texan longhorns? Might have some tick diseases. Don't wants them mixing with ours.”

“You are right, Slim. Marcy, you might have to buy any of ours that have attached themselves to your herd.”

“Whoa, that wasn't in the plans. I have never heard of any problems with our herd. Would you know what to look for?”

“Not me or the boys here but our Big Boss might. We were hoping to get back into the ranch tonight. Maybe we can check with him. It is going to take you at least a day to pass through his land anyway.”

“Be much obliged.”

“Come on, Fellas, let's have a look see.”

“Mind if I tag along? Want to take a closer look at their health. Stay here, Red Eagle, make sure none are cutting back behind.”

“Humph.”

“He sure don't say much, does he. Isn't it kind of lonely out on the trail with someone who doesn't talk?”

“Most of the time we are on opposite sides of the herd anyway but you have a point. All of your guys talkative?”

“Sometimes way too much. That Stinky never wants to shut up does he, Tiny?”

“Y'all right 'bout that, Keyes.”

“So you are 'Keyes', 'Tiny' is the one not so tiny and 'Slim' is the tall thin guy. Got that but who is 'Stinky'?”

“Oh, he is up on the ridge watching over things.”

“I take it you try to keep him separate because of his name?”

“Oh, no. That's just a hold over from childhood days when he got too close to a polecat.”

“Hows ya manage with a native as ya companion? He looks mighty fierce and none too friendly.”

“Don't worry, Slim. His best quality is loyalty. And that means a lot. Just like all of you seem very loyal to this Big Boss. Tell me about him.”

“Well, he is big, very BIG. And he is the Boss, very Bossy. What more is there to say?”

“Well, Slim. We could tell how generous he is.”

“Y'all means like when he lets us share his ribs, Keyes?”

“Yeah, there is that,Tiny, but he treats us well.”

“He has ta if he wants our help. This too big a place to run alone. But I sure does likes his ribs. Da ya remember the one from down Laredo way? She was so-o luscious... “

“Okay, Tiny, I don't think he needs to know everything. Let's look over these beeves.”

February 23, 2023 05:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Graham Kinross
04:22 Jan 13, 2024

At least Stinky’s nickname isn’t Stutter. Does the title imply that you didn’t decide whether they were rustlers or not? Seems like their story had been reheated to spit it out so quickly. Hard to tell because you followed the prompt and only had dialogue. I thought they were going to shoot the land owner.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:55 Jan 13, 2024

I wrote this so long ago. Think I used question cause cowboys thought they were rustlers but weren't. Thanks for liking and commenting.

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:57 Jan 13, 2024

You’re welcome Mary. Happy New Year.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:25 Mar 04, 2023

Thanks, Dan T. First time I ever tried dialog only. Also had one using extra 'esses' and one saying "y'all" a lot. Thought about making a lisp. Like the challenges.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
20:17 Mar 04, 2023

Thanks for the tip,KV. Don't always know how to make a change.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kevin V
02:27 Mar 04, 2023

Hi Mary, You did a nice job on this prompt. I was able to follow the dialogue pretty well. I did trip up over the sudden POV change from Keyes to Ford Marcy. Maybe use an '*' between the paragraphs to indicate a change? It might help. Still, I figured out quick enough what was going on and I thought you did a nice job on the dialect and Stinky's stutter. Nicely done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dan Taylor
01:25 Mar 03, 2023

Using a stutter was brilliant for character recognition. The situation was realistic for western fiction. What a challenge! Good job

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.