0 comments

Fiction

         “Yuk, gross, disgusting, phew, what a mess,” states Sue. That was exactly what June had been thinking as they entered the hotel suite.

         “What kind of party was this?” she asks June. “A retirement party,” states June. “So, these were “mature” adults?” Sue points out as she surveys the room. “You would think “mature” people would be more responsible, wouldn’t you?” “There probably were some younger people, like children and grandchildren,” adds June. “The grandchildren and their parents probably left early, you know, it was getting too late for them to be up.”

         “Well, where do you want to start? I think right here is as good as any,” announces Sue. “I’ll do ashtrays.” “And I’ll get a cart and start picking up dishes to get a load started,” replies June. “It looks like they used every dish available. What a smell, I gotta open some windows.”

         “I hope we don’t find any dead bodies; do you remember that Casey and Linda found one last month,” says Sue. “That must have been just awful; they couldn’t come back to work for about a month. Have you ever seen a dead body?”  “No,” adds June, “and I don’t want to either.”

         “Remember, anything like jewellery, wallets or person effects, we’ll put in the box. And please be careful about any broken glass,” mentions June.

         While June brings the first cartload of dishes into the kitchen to load the dishwasher, Sue goes into the first bedroom to empty ashtrays there. The smell of full ashtrays is awful, so Sue covers her mouth. Moments later she comes out holding a lace bra. “The woman who left this sure was well endowed. I sure hope this is the only piece of underwear I find,” she states. “I would be embarrassed to claim this.” June had started the dishwasher and then went into the bedroom Sue just left. Once Sue had emptied all ashtrays, she went into the living room to start bagging trash.

         “I wonder how many people were at this party,” wonders Sue out loud. “I’m not sure, but it seems like a lot, given this mess,” states June. With the state of this place, i would bet there were more people than the fire department would allow.

         Sue next will pick up the trash in the living room and then go into the first bedroom, once June had picked up all the dishes. June has already emptied the dishwasher and refilled it. They will clean the kitchen last. While Sue is picking up trash from the bedrooms, June went to clean the bathroom. She calls to Sue, that this is one of the dirtiest bathrooms I have ever seen. She finds a ring and a bracelet to add to the box of found items. Sue had found a belt and a watch in the first bedroom and a pair of shoes in the second bedroom. Next Sue begins to vacuum the bedrooms. They will make the beds together. There were a few cigarette burns in the living room and one huge one in the second bedroom. Someone is going to have a big damage bill to pay. The girls were told to take pictures of any damages. 

         They take a ten minute break in the living room, which has now been completely cleaned.   “What is the one thing you found that you wanted to keep?” Sue asks June. “It was a thousand dollar bill,” replies June. It was at a time when I really needed extra money to repair my car. I agonized over it for awhile, but by the end of my shift, I had decided to hand it in. What about you?” “It was a Gucci bag, gorgeous. I’ve always dreamt of owning a designer bag, and there it was. I paraded around the room for awhile, then handed it in.”

         “Did I show you the book I found?” Sue asks June. “No, what was it about?” replies June. “It was about what a person could do in their retirement. Seems interesting. It looks like the retiree is a man who has money and would be able to do whatever his heart desires. I put it in the box. So far we have a watch, a ring, a bracelet, a belt and a pair of shoes in the box. And don’t forget the bra.”

         “Did you remember to look under the beds?” asks June. “I did, and I found a little bit of everything, from full ashtrays to dishes and a couple of dirty towels. Someone must have spilt their drink. I hope the stain can be removed without having to take out the whole carpet. I don’t understand the mentality of partiers.  Once all the trash has been picked up, they need to clean each room and then vacuum.

         As they were finishing their break, they hear a knock at the door. June answers it, and finds a lady standing there. The lady tells June that she was at the party last night and lost her bracelet. Did you find one, she asks? “Sorry,” Sue tells her. “Anything we find has to go to our supervisor. You can contact her later this afternoon or tomorrow morning. “Can you just tell me if you found it, no one will know.” “Sorry,” replies Sue. “If you were the person who booked this room, then our supervisor will be contacting you.  Have a good day.”

         “Wow, can you believe that. If you tell me, no one will know. Mimics Sue.  As if,” states Sue. “So, what’s left?” “I have to empty the dishwasher, and then clean the kitchen. The vacuuming needs to be done, but before we do, I noticed that the balcony glass doors have a lot of finger smudges. It must be little kids, because they are lower down,” announces June. “We have a total of six huge garbage bags, and I had to load the dishwasher 3 times. Once we drag these six bags of garbage away, we also have to bring this box to our supervisor, then home time.”

         “Finally, we’re done,” mentions June. “This sure was a mess. Do you have any plans for tonight?” “Not really,” adds Sue. “I think I will go home and dream of the Gucci bag I don’t have.” “Yea,” states June. “I see what you mean. I can imagine myself spending that thousand dollars I found. But, you must say, this is an interesting job. Every room we clean we are guaranteed to find something left behind.”

May 12, 2021 20:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.