3 comments

Kids Holiday Fiction

“Oh, but dad, we always go camping every year at this time” the two boys said in unison.

“I know sons, but your mother has asked that you be at the Diwali celebration this year to meet her new husband and your step-sisters. Show them how gentlemanly Westerners can be.”

Young Paul piped up with

“Girls, yuck!”

Peter laughed but secretly agreed with his brother. He said,

“Di what?”

Diwali his father explained. 

"It is kind of like our new year, a festival of lights – new beginnings".

“I hope we don’t have to do yoga and sit in those crazy positions. I’ve seen them on television; they look like they would be impossible to get out of.”

“No son, I’m quite sure you won’t have to do any yoga, although your mother and her new family might. Mr. Alveers is of the Hindu faith and Diwali is one of their sacred festivals. Your mother really wants you to be there.” He promised them a camping trip over Christmas in Atlanta by the gulf to make up for the lost one that weekend.

“Alright” they said reluctantly in unison, adding a sigh for emphasis.

The boys opened the package their mother had sent with some hesitation. 

“These look like pajamas.”

“Yes” their father said, “but it is the traditional clothing. You can use them as pajamas when you get back.” There was a bright blue stole that came with each set that they had to drape around their neck.

“Just think of it as a really big tie that’s not done up” Peter said to his younger brother.

On Friday after school the boys gathered some flowers for their mother then changed into their ‘pajama type’ outfits.

Their father said when he dropped the boys off at their mother’s house.

“Be good and try to have fun. I’m proud of both of you.” Then he drove off. He didn’t want the boys to see how sad he was that they were not going to be with him for the weekend. 

Their mother opened the door and her face lit up when she saw the boys were already wearing their outfits. She loved the gift of the flowers and gave them a hug.

“Mumtaz will be with us tonight at the feast. Come and meet your new sisters.”

Two girls wearing brightly colored lehengas (yellow top and deep green skirt) stood at the top of the stairs. They gave the boys shy nods and disappeared into their bedrooms.

“They’ll get used to you” their mother said. She showed them into the spare room where they would be staying then said

“I have a lot to do to get ready for tonight's celebration, but just ask if you need anything; I am so glad you could both be with us.” 

The room was comfortable but small, about half the size of their rooms at home. The boys were used to making the best of things though. They unpacked their things then joined their mother in the kitchen. She had bought a package of hot chocolate as a treat for her sons. After a time, they noticed two girls quietly watching them.

“Mia, Ari, these are your step-brothers Peter and Paul. They will be sharing the feast tonight and will watch the fireworks with us tomorrow.”

Mia, the older girl, shook their hands while Ari just nodded a greeting. The girls had never had hot chocolate and were intrigued. Maybe their new stepmother wasn’t so bad after all. After they finished the chocolate the girls invited their “guests” to watch ‘Dune’ with them. Ari had such a crush on the child actor it was cute to watch. They had decided that the “spice” on the planet was ginger since it was a favorite. Whenever they watched the movie, they took turns sniffing from the container. The girls enjoyed the spice; the boys enjoyed the worms – it was a good movie for them all to watch. Chocolate and movie broke the ice somewhat.

The dining room looked like a wonderland. Dimly lit except for the candles. The food smelled wonderful. Samosas, aloo tikki (which was a potato cutlet), pakoras (vegetables clumped together and deep fried), rice, and chai tea. In the middle of the table some round things which their mother explained had been soaked in sugar syrup and topped with saffron). The girls exclaimed with glee.

“Roshogolla! Yum!”

Before the feast could begin Mumtaz Alveers greeted the boys with the word “namaste” which translates to I salute the divinity in you and began Diwali prayers in his native language. At the end of the prayers he said in honor of the boys:

“thank you. Let’s eat!”

The boys had eaten curry before that night, so the experience was not entirely new. They tried to be respectful and follow the established household customs, so they didn’t embarrass or upset their mother. Mr. Alveers had a rule – no talking during dinner, so everyone ate in silence. After the meal was over and the table cleared, a pack of cards came out and they played poker using potato chips as ‘currency’. Playing cards during Diwali was believed to be a prosperity ritual. Little Ari was the big winner that night but let everyone share her chips.

After the food had gone down, they played musical chairs. Peter was the big winner for that game. They played board games after the musical chairs so they could quieten down before sleep. At the end of the night, everyone had won a game. Coincidence? Peter did not think so. Before lights out Mumtaz played the sitar for everyone and the girls joined in with triangles. It was different from the kind of music the boys were used to; but was pleasant to listen to. Paul could hardly keep his eyes open. Mr. Alveers noticed and said

“Lights out time, we have a packed day tomorrow. Sleep well everyone.”

The boys had brought their sleeping bags with them and opened the window in their room so they could pretend they were camping. It took a bit of imagining but they managed. They fell asleep on the floor, their heads together.

The next morning the boys woke early and snacked on granola bars and gummy bears – their idea of camp food. The family were doing yoga routines in their rooms, so the boys read a couple of comic magazines that they had packed. The family outing that day was a trip to the Science Museum which everyone enjoyed. After a picnic lunch of samosas, they walked to a nearby park. The children fed ducks while the adults rested beneath the trees. Then it was time to get back home for fireworks. Mumtaz explained that the fireworks were a symbol of light, a release from the darkness. A neighbor had bought a light fountain and gave everyone gifts of sparklers. The boys especially had fun writing their names in big letters.

Mumtaz thanked the boys for coming. They could see how happy their mother was and that made them happy. A holiday celebration with mostly different faces and different food, but it was good to experience new things. Their father picked them up and immediately the three of them started planning the family camping trip that had been promised. The ‘pajamas’ got folded up and put away for next Diwali. They would bring flowers for their stepsisters as well as their mother and a fruit basket for Mr. Alveers.

“What do you want for supper tomorrow boys?” asked their father.

“Hot dogs” they both said in unison. 

Dad laughed.

“Okay, hot dogs it is”.

November 24, 2020 13:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Crystal Lewis
03:00 Nov 30, 2020

Naw this was such a sweet story. :) I completely disagree with eating dinners in silence but each to their own hehe. I liked how the boys were very sweet and raised well and respected their mother’s new culture. I got a good laugh out of the exchange with their father at the end. They are definitely their father’s boys! Nicely written story and it was good to learn a little bit about Diwali.

Reply

Debbie Teague
02:13 Dec 01, 2020

Thank you very much C. jay; I found the research interesting also. The ending didn't turn out how I planned but often the characters have their own ideas as I'm sure you can relate. Yes, they are their father's boys :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Snyder
14:59 Dec 04, 2020

I enjoyed this story. I wanted to hear some interaction between the two boys and their new step sisters. I wanted the older boy to react to the girl's infatuation with her TV idol.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.