Murderous Lies

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

2 comments

Crime Drama Mystery

*Knock, Knock*

What in the world? Who could that be? I think to myself as I glance at the clock. It's almost midnight no one should be here at this hour. I stand up from my desk shoving my case under some unimportant papers. I can't afford anyone getting their hands on my suspecte.

This case has been taking me FOREVER. It shouldn't be this hard to find a frod. But, this one's smart. They keep changing their name, appearance, job, and anything else I might be able to identify them with. At first they were a "bartender" then a "construction worker" then a "barber" but he always does the same thing. My sources tell me that whoever he comes across in his “job” he gets close to and kills. Now my sources are telling me that they are pretending to be... Well lets just hope that they're wrong, because if they aren't this is going to get really messy, rill quickly.

I finally make my way towards the door. It's dark down here. I don't like being downstairs at night. I do my best work upstairs in my study. However, it's not too dark for me to quickly pull open the drawer of the entrance table, and take out my favorite handgun, a Walther "PPS". I cock it slowly, putting it behind my back as I open the front door.

A tall muscular man with jet black hair and grey eyes stands before me. Before I can get a word out he pulls out an FBI id card.

"My name is Andras Vandal. I am an FBI agent. I need to speak with you privately. Is there anyone else here?" he asks quickly.

"No, just me," I say as I pull out the drawer in the table and put the gun back in its place. "If I might ask, what agence are you from?" I ask caushily. I know every agent in Alaska, and there are only two agencies here, and this man isn't from either one. Something's not right. I suppose he could be a new hire, but I just picked up the list of agents this morning, and no one can be hired without my consent. He also must have no idea who I am, or he wouldn't be ordering the director of the FBI in Alaska so rudely.

"I'm from an agency in California," he says. "Might I come in?" he asks.

"I suppose I have no choice, do I?" I ask stupidly. As long as he doesn't know who I am it’s best to act completely clueless and stupid.

"No, not really," he says. Reluctantly, I open the door so he can walk in.

"Won't you sit down?" I ask leading him to the family room. He sits down willingingly on the sofa while I take the chair across from him.

"Genevieve, I have something to tell you that might come as a bit of a shock." He says calmly as if he's talking about the weather. How does he know my full name? I only go by Gen, no one has called me Genevieve since I lived in California. This isn't good I think, but show no fear.

"Try me," I challenge. "Nothing surprises me anymore, anything's possible," I say slyly.

"What do you mean anymore?" He asks leaning in closer to me across the table between us.

"Nothing, it's hardly any of your business," I say codly.

What I mean by that is since I found out I had a brother five years ago, (something I thought was never possible) nothing shocks me now. My mom used to always say I was her "merical child". The only baby she could have. What lies. She had a son at 16 and was especially careful not to have another "accident" like that. So she gave him up for adoption. Of course she slipped one night and in return got me, seven years after my brother.

I'll never forget the night when he showed up on our doorstep. Of Course I didn't believe him at first. But, my mom quickly fessed up leaving me in shock. Hence why I don't get shocked any more. She assured me that he is my only other sibling. However, I couldn't believe her after that so I did lots of digging to make sure I had no more surprise siblings. I am actually very close to my brother, I am very grateful for his return to us. However, I am not as close to my mom anymore. I guess I could never get over the fact that she lied so plainly to me.

He stays quiet, staring me down trying to figure out what it is that I'm leaving out. "I suppose you're right," he says relaxing back in the sofa chair, still staring me down.

"Can you please stop staring at me like that, and tell me why you're here?" I ask returning his strong stare.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he pauses, staring at me again. "It's just so strange, we look nothing alike," he says confused.

What in the world is he talking about? Of Course we look nothing alike, why would we? He has dark hair and eyes, while I have blond hair and green eyes. Although I am flustered and taken off guard by his comment. I can't let it show, I still don't know why he is here. He might be trying to see how strong I am by how I react. So I decided to reply with

"Why, what a keen observation. However, you still haven't answered my question," I say.

"I guess I just assumed that we would at least look a little alike," he says.

"I'm sorry, but I don't follow," I say confused.

"I'm sorry, I've always been terrible at explaining. But, I guess there's no easy way to say this, so here it goes," he pauses, looking at me asking with his eyes if I'm ready for it.

"Well go on," I say. "I haven't got all night."

"I'm your brother," he blurts out. Good thing I don't have anything in my mouth or I might have choked.

"I'm sorry, but you really are terrible at explaining. This makes NO sense," I scoff.

"Well, let me try. You see-" But I stop listening, this guy is full of shit. I went to extensive lengths to make sure nothing like this was possible. This only confirms one thing, that the culprit from my case is right in front of me. It makes sense now, my sources said that he would stick in a new unexpected way. And they were right. They were even right about his new occupation. I didn't want to believe that this guy would come on my turf and pretend to be in the FBI. But, I got him now, and if he thinks that I'm falling for this he is SO wrong.

I am brought out of my thoughts when I hear him say "Genevieve, do you understand now?" he asks.

"Oh, Andras, I always wanted a brother!" I lie pulling him into a hug. He laughs embracing my hug not suspecting a thing.

I don't know what he has planned after accomplishing this lie. Probably to kill me like he did the rest. But, I don't intend to find out I'm putting an end to this murderous fraud tonight.

June 01, 2021 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

PRAPTI GUPTA
05:43 Jun 10, 2021

Is he his real brother then?

Reply

15:40 Jun 16, 2021

No, he is lying. She found out she only has one other sibling and has already met him. This guy is the one in her case that keeps changing his identity and murdering the people close to him. He is trying to do this to her.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.