37 comments

High School Urban Fantasy Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

Have you heard the rumor? 

The one going round town? 

About a no-hope kid, his luck just going down. 


Rumor has his number,

Rumor's splashing it around;

Rumor shouts: run, kid, your luck just hit the ground.


Gnawing the stub of pencil, I look back at the lyrics. Not quite Bob Dylan, but the words sing my story; the ballad of the howlin’ no-hoper: Mitch Malarkey. It’s a freezing Monday in March and the wind tugs at the paper like it wants to snatch it away. Yet another thief, trying to up and run with the last of my possessions: a few miserable words. 


I get up from the park’s only bench, exposed to every gust blasting across the open playing field, and slump down against the climbing wall and its plea: Shag me Stella!- burnt in with a lighter. The wood chips are damp and stink of dog piss, but I don’t give a shit; I’d rather be here than back in class with Kev, out to rub my face in the classroom dirt. At fifteen, he's all thick body hair and flexing muscle, determined to remind me every moment of my puny, thin frame and how he can take me out with just one punch. Like he did back on Thanksgiving. Like he did on New Year. Welcome 2023, you’ll be seeing it in with a shiner and a busted lip, Mitch, never-dare-snitch, Malarkey. 


And the teachers at Pathetic High? Are they out policing the corridors at recess, making sure Kev and his pack aren’t going to ram me with their lockers? Like hell. They’d rather nurse their coffees than give me so much as a bloody band-aid. I can just hear them in the cozy staffroom, discussing the morning memo.:


Attention staff. Michael Malarkey has been flagged as a student of concern. Confidential information: Enforcement Agents notified the school of activity at the Malarkey residence this weekend. Please notify us if Michael seems troubled. 


“Oooh poor lad.”


“This the business with his dad?”


“Uh-huh.”


“Such a shame. Time for another cuppa?”


Yep, it’s hard as hell to see trouble when you just stare into your bloody cup of coffee.


Have you heard the rumor? 

The one going round town? 

About that kid’s dad and the bailiffs sniffing round.


Rumor says they took the telly, the fridge and every phone;

Rumor says they’re eatin’ air n’ that house just ain't a home.


I drag the pencil through the wood chips, spell out the letters in the dirt: s, h, i, t: ‘cos that’s what my crappy lyric and my crappy life is. Days spent bunking off school, hanging out in this wreck of a recreation ground where even the teenage moms daren’t come. Yeah this is the place you stumble to if you need a dark escape: sniff glue, get laid, forget the bum hand life has dealt you, even if just for ten minutes. Except oblivion’s hard to come by when you’re all alone, the wind whistling through the fence, reminding you of what’s blowin’ in: the same old answer you’re trying to forget…


Dad cracking open another can. Draining it, gulp after desperate gulp. In the kitchen, the wall with its snaking black mold, growing in plain sight where the fridge used to be. On the table, half hidden amongst the empties and the scratch cards with all the wrong numbers, is the sheet of paper from the Social Security Office: call this number if you need advice on your disability benefits. When Dad was first laid off after the accident, I’d called that number. I can tell you who you reach, heart hammering, phone pressed to your hot ear: a robotic voice, programmed to tell you flatly, in so many words, that they don’t give a fucking damn. And then they send the bailiffs. Yeah, it really is a great service. 


The park’s only swing creaks forward and backwards, pushed by the invisible hands of the wind. It’s a gray blur through my streaming eyes. I hear the ghost child who was me: Faster, Pop -faster! Legs and feet straining to tread the sky; swooping down- belly rolling like the laughs. Dad singing loud and proud with each push:


Oh where have you been my blue-eyed son?

Oh where have you been my darling young one? 


For I used to be the blue-eyed boy, the darling young one, before the crash broke more than his body, broke his heart as well. When they wheeled Pop home from the hospital, the birds still sang in the trees, but from that day he never wrote another tune. Weeks on mute, until last Saturday night when the bailiffs turned up unannounced and we had to watch them take our stuff, the things that make a house a home, away. Slumped in his chair, he took pull after pull on his beer. It was only when they carried out his keyboard that he roared, throwing the can after them: drink arching, a brief rainbow in the sun’s light, before it fell. I couldn’t stop the song from playing in the jukebox of my busted brain:


And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard

And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall


I snap to when the park’s gate creaks on its old hinges, releasing a strangled cry. I drag my sleeve across my eyes and stagger to my feet, ready to run in case it’s a teacher sent to pull me back to class. But it isn’t, the lanky shape shuffling towards me, scuffed sneakers topped off with greasy hair, is of another kid from my Grade. I recognise his slouched-shouldered prowl before I put a name to the scowling face: Evans, the student who joined our class last Fall and who has yet to make a friend. I glare at him. If he’s snuck out of class to try and make a mate out of me, he might as well turn tail right now; just ‘cos I’m down n’ out doesn’t mean I’ll take any loser for company. 


Ignoring him, I go and sit on the swing, stuffing the paper with the song lyric into the bag propped on my lap. I hope the message is clear: fuck off. He doesn’t get it though, leaning against the rusty frame, face pinched white by the cold.


“So this is where you hang out.”


Obviously. Moron. 


“Life’s hard round here, for the likes of me and you.”


Piss off. There’s nothing similar about you and me. 


“But it doesn’t have to be: Life of hard knocks and all that shit. If life hits hard, it’s best to hit hard back. Not run and hide.”


I can’t help but catch his eyes then; gray as the late winter sky and just as fathomless. 


“I’m not hiding. I just don’t want another locker rammed in my face.”


“Understandable. But you’re not going to let those jerks walk all over you, surely.”


“And what do you suggest, Evans, a few right hooks in recess?”


“Course not, “ he croons softly, “there’s dumb-ass ways to get revenge on a no-brain like Kev and then there are clever ways, where no one will ever be any the wiser that it’s you, laying him low.” 


He holds my eye like a challenge: am I game? 


“And you’d like to lay him low, wouldn’t you Mitch? Admit it. Just once, he should be the one tasting blood.”


How does he know?


“And I can help- give you the means to the right end.” He smiles then, a gappy grin where at least three teeth must have been punched right out. 


“I could tell you a story about each of those missing teeth,” he begins, “but we’ll save it for another day. Let me just say for now: listen to an old hand. If you’re gonna roll, don’t roll with the punches; roll like a stone- heavy and hard. Yeah, like a fucking great boulder that just squashes everything in its way.”


A crazy laugh and suddenly he swoops towards me like the cawing crows that pick at the take-out left here by the glue-sniffers and shaggers. Before I know it, he’s twisting the swing’s chains round, round, round again, whipping me with them. Like a corkscrew, he spirals me up before letting me go with a manic shriek; and I feel like I’m spiraling out of control, down into a vortex of heady blood-lust. 


The swing jerks to a stop and my breath comes in jagged bursts. He pulls me from the seat, my bag tipping into the mud and thrusts something into my clammy hands. For a second or two, I don’t know what it is, only that it isn’t a knife or a gun. How will this help me dish out Kev’s just deserts? Turning the small plastic device in my hands, I finally recognize what it is: a Walkman. I dimly remember owning one as a kid, just like this: shiny red plastic, with the brand Sony stamped on one side. Yeah, it might even have been Dad’s and he passed it on to me, in the days before music flowed in digital streams from iPhones and AirPods, whirring out of a clunky old cassette instead.


I stare at Evans, trying to guess his gist. Is this some sort of piss-take? Mitch Malarkey and his one time music-boss Dad, so down on their luck they’ll take even the crummiest old hand-outs? All your stuff was loaded onto the back of a truck, so here, have this piece of old crap. Nice one. But I’m wrong. 


“It mightn’t look much,” he says, holding my gaze, “but right there, in your hand, is the only weapon you’ll ever need. Do as I say, and Kev is gonna be sorry he ever drew breath.”


I look at the Walkman, lying flat and innocent in my hand. Turning it over, I inspect it for secret compartments, places where a little blade would just slide in and out, but there are none. It looks completely harmless. 


“It’s time for you to write the soundtrack of your life, Mitch. No more bum notes, crap tunes; this, right here, it’s gonna make your life rock n’ roll once more. And before you ask why I’m giving it to you, well it’s done enough for me already.” 


For a moment I look at him, the new loner and loser of the class, and I almost hand it back with a laugh, but he continues. 


“So here’s the deal. This is no ordinary Walkman, you press the button and it’s gonna play the lyrics of your life- the ones you want it to play. No more playing the Blues Mitch; you get to write the track this time round: protest song, rallying cry of revenge. I bet you can think of some pretty neat verses to end that song there.” He nods slightly at my bag, hanging open with the sheet of paper I’d been scribbling on, half peeking out. How does he know? He rattles on. 


“Stipulations; there’s gotta be a couple of rules, even for revenge. Only you’re to press play; they’re your lyrics after all. So if you give it to someone else or someone plays around with it...” His sneakers shuffle in the wood chips and he seems to trail off. “Well, let’s just say it’s best if that doesn’t happen, all right.”


It sounds simple: an ideal solution. 


“So how does it work?”


“Easy. The cassette’s already in. All you need to do is press play and the Walkman will manage everything for you.” 


“But do I need to be near him? Kev I mean. Has it got a range or something?”


He laughs his weird high-pitched laugh, flashing his crooked gappy teeth.


“You can be well outta range. This baby will handle it all like a dream. See ya Mitch. And don’t forget: keep it secret to keep it safe.”


He leaves the park, heading away from school towards town, the wind picking up the words of his carelessly sung tune: “How does it feel? To be on your own. No direction home? Like a rolling stone…”


I turn the Walkman over and over. It feels solid in my hands, and maybe it’s the buzz of anticipation I’m feeling, but I could swear I feel the hum of a motor already; cogs and gears beginning to turn; the wheels of reprisal already spinning. 


I look at the school across the playing fields. I picture Kev’s gloating face the last time he socked me, and I press play. The Walkman whirrs to life and I hear my voice spilling from the little machine:


Have you heard the rumor? 

The one going round town? 

About that no- hope kid and how he turned his luck around. 


For rumor has Kev’s number;

Now sirens are the sound.

Cops shout: Hands Up! And kick Kev to the ground. 


And it’s the soundtrack to my revenge drama, for as soon as the words have faded in the deserted playground, they’re replaced by sirens screaming in a flash of police lights, cops racing up the road behind me, towards school. 


I don’t need to be there to know. The throb in my veins, that pulsing thrill, tells me it’s happening; I’ve played it into life. Everything’s gonna go my way from here. No more playing the Blues; Evans was right: sweet revenge and a rock n’ roll life are there for the taking.


I consider checking out the action at school but then decide to head for home. I don’t need to do a Kev and gloat as they handcuff and lead him away. The picture in my mind is priceless as I push open the garden gate, half hanging off its hinges, ignoring its strangled cry. Dad has passed out on the sofa in a sea of beer cans. I leave him to rest, clearing the empties off of his chest, the floor, his wheelchair. I move to the kitchen and chuck the lot in the trash along with the useless scratch cards. We don’t need this shit anymore. Beer, betting, not under this roof. And there’s no need for the waste of space Social Security Office either; I rip up their pathetic and pointless letter.


Here on in, I’m the one rolling the dice; luck’s in my hands now. I’m going to turn things around for both of us; and it will be easy, with this secret weapon- my Walkman. Hell, I’m invincible: an unstoppable force; revenge at the ready with just a press of the button. 


Compared to my normal crappy days, avoiding Kev and bunking off from school in the freezing park, it’s been quite an eventful afternoon; and perhaps it’s knackered me, as when I return to the lounge, slouching into the armchair next to Dad, my eyes shut almost immediately. I feel something slip off my lap, but I’m too shattered to do anything but fall into the black hole of sleep. 

______________________________________________________


If someone had let a gun off next to my head, I couldn’t have snapped to with more of a start. 


Have you heard the rumor? 

The one going round town? 


Shit! The Walkman! Where is it? And why is it playing? Frantically I pull at every pocket, fumble under the chair, and then I freeze. Dad has the Walkman in his hands and is smiling for the first time in weeks as it whirrs out the song:


About a no-hope kid, his luck just going down. 


“Hey! I used to have one of these! Jeez, this could even be my old Walkman. Where’d you get it Mitch?”


My fear has me by the throat, choking the words. And the memories kick me, one after the other: the park, Evans, Keep it secret to keep it safe. 


Rumor has his number,

Rumor's splashing it around;

Rumor shouts: run, kid, your luck just hit the ground.


He’s still grinning, head nodding in time to the beat.


“Did you write this? It’s really good!”


There’s no time. I grab the Walkman from his hand and race the stairs in threes to the top; slam my bedroom door and lean against it, breath coming in desperate gasps. Evans will never know. How could he? I press down hard on the stop button, but it refuses to hold; every time it just releases itself and the cassette keeps spooling; the terrible refrain on endless, stuttering repeat: Have you heard the rumor? 


I press hard on the eject button and it’s like I’m driving the device in two different directions as with a sickening mechanical grind the cassette keeps on playing and a new tune starts. Thin tendrils of gray smoke, like winter skies, like cold eyes, spool from the Walkman and the new track starts with a different voice, one that paralyzes me with fear. For it’s Evans singing: Once upon a time you dressed so fine…


Drenched in sweat, I cross to the window, thinking only that I’ve got to get rid of it- now. 


The strangled cry of the garden gate cuts above the song. A familiar voice accompanies the steps on the gravel path; it echoes the voice rising, questioning me, from the Walkman in my hand:


How does it feel

To be without a home

Like a complete unknown

Like a rolling stone?


And how does it feel as the gate clangs shut and the Walkman smokes in my hand, three knocks on the front door ringing out loud and clear? 


Like the day the music died. 
























March 06, 2023 19:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Delbert Griffith
10:33 Mar 11, 2023

Wow. Fantastic deal-with-the devil tale. I have to say, this seems like a departure from your other writings. It has a kind of bildungsroman-meets-urban-grit-meets- magical-realism feel to it. I can't quite place the genre because I'm not that up on all genres, so... So much in this tale! The lyrics the kid wrote, the Dylan lyrics, the ending with the "American Pie" lyrics. The lyrics told the tale, and the rest of the story just expanded on it. That was marvelous. One of the things you do so well - and I have been trying to learn this fro...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
13:03 Mar 11, 2023

That's so sweet of you Delbert. If truth be told, I just try to go for the scenery details that best develop character, plot or mood as economically as possible as the word count's so tough. So I chose the swing to develop the happier backstory so the dad- son relationship was nuanced; then in the present it helped develop the dark atmosphere but I made it work too for the plot: the fall into the trap of lusting for revenge. Same with the gate: I wanted a refrain that would foreshadow the end and represent something about Evans as well as d...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
04:20 Mar 11, 2023

For someone who moved out of her comfort zone to experiment with something completely different, you certainly succeeded in writing an exceptional piece. You had me hanging on every word. The angry young teen’s pain was palpable. Brilliantly rendered. 🙏👌✌️

Reply

Rebecca Miles
12:55 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks so much Viga. This took me longer to write than usual so I'm glad the experiment worked out for you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
03:13 Mar 11, 2023

Hi Rebecca, I enjoyed reading something so fresh and different from you! The themes of music and school drama and family issues all kind of fit together naturally in the real world, that they worked wonderfully here too. I think music is an escape for many kids, so this idea of a music device that can alter your path seems like it would be believably appealing and tempting. Really liked these lines: “The park’s only swing creaks forward and backwards, pushed by the invisible hands of the wind. It’s a gray blur through my streaming eyes. I h...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
12:58 Mar 11, 2023

Hi Aeris. Lovely as always to have a comment from you to covet. Yes, this was as different from my go-to style of romantic and poignant as you could get. You've picked out my favourite lines with the swing ( probably because they're poignant! Very hard to change the spots entirely 🤣).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:47 Mar 09, 2023

Great ending :) The offer had the ring of a deal with the devil, and by the end it looks like he's coming to get his due. But despite that, Mitch is still someone we can sympathize with. Wanting a bit of revenge when you're down isn't unusual, and now it looks like he's completely screwed. Critique-wise, great voice for the angry teen, and the music aspect to this works well. There's a complex back story with the father, but it's not a one-dimensional woe-is-me. They have history, they fell on hard times. I am left wondering if indeed it ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:57 Mar 10, 2023

Hi Michal, I'm sure you noticed this was me stepping out into territories new. This is my first Reedsy riff on " anger and revenge" so I'm very happy the chords I hit were the right ones. Yeah, that Walkman. When I was writing it, I thought about the Dad link. With more words that would be cool to develop the potential parallels; it would push the story even more to horror if this was not the first time the little red Walkman of revenge has been played.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
13:05 Mar 07, 2023

This story is really engaging, with a character whose pain and disappointment is clearly sketched in without being maudlin in a situation that is pretty relatable, with a motivation that is understandable, and then some really swift action as things go wrong, all woven on the thread of Dylan's lyrics. You build the father's situation nicely without an exposition dump. At first I wondered about a kid now being acquainted with Dylan, but the dad's career clarifies that, making it believable. It also ties the kid to the dad in ways that are not...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
15:46 Mar 07, 2023

Hi Laurel, thanks so much for the really engaged reading and the tip. Yes, Dad's leaning was an overlook from the first writing stage where I was still considering what sort of disability he would have. It absolutely is the wrong verb choice for how the character ended, wheel chair bound, so thanks for pointing it out. I'm pleased you spotted the hints to the positive relationship the two formerly shared. I felt really up against the word limit with this one; I wanted to develop the more harmonious backstory, but I had to ruthlessly edit thi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
20:07 Mar 14, 2023

Hey Rebecca, This one is an absolutely breathtaking piece. I found myself in chanted by the incredible imagery and enthralled by the premise. I thought that you did an amazing job of incorporating the lyrics and poetry into this piece. When I was in high school, I had an English teacher, who allowed us to pick one song to analyze from a literary perspective. We had to create a presentation, and for the most part we were given a lot of creative freedom. Most of the guys did end up picking a rap song. It was a very interesting project and one ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
09:40 Mar 15, 2023

Hi Amanda, thanks for stopping by. I am a teacher and run that exact same unit! Dylan was running through my mind as he is the songwriter we focus on. It was nice to tease this out creatively rather than analytically. Oh yes, Mitch has a lot to learn (never accept life's revenge walkman; it's red for a reason- watch out!) but I think he'll be there for his Dad (they've a good backstory I believe!) and they would- in the story's future- sort things out, even if the world seems against them now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darryl Roberts
23:49 Mar 13, 2023

Great story, love way you wove the Dylan lyrics into the tale. “wind tugs at the paper like it wants to snatch it away. Yet another thief, trying to up and run with the last of my possessions: a few miserable words.” - great line.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:18 Mar 14, 2023

Thanks for picking out one of the lines early on that I was really pleased with. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
20:38 Mar 12, 2023

Such a wonderful, creepy read, Rebecca, just like the ones I remember from my favorites I grew up with - the classics, Poe, Monkey's Paw, Telltale Heart, this beauty has the same buyer's remorse feel, deep deep dread. Brrrr. Seriously good. You carry a good bit of the macabre with you, Rebecca - I knew I liked you!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:59 Mar 12, 2023

Nothing like the icy blast of a creepy story eh! Thanks for putting me in the same sentence as Poe; that's just about made my night (and here in Germany it's a stormy one when I could almost half expect a raven to come a-croaking!). Thanks for the camaraderie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
19:06 Mar 12, 2023

This was so beautifully bleak, Rebecca! You really evoked such a sense of despair about the kid's situation, made moreso by the flashbacks of better times "before" - that was really effective in contrast, and seems to make hopelessness that much more palpable. That he leapt on the deal without considering its impossibility also portrays this so well. And all of this is about to loop again, at the end: one bright pinnacle in the greyscape, and the fall will be that much lower this time. Mitch is such a sympathetic character, I truly felt his ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:18 Mar 16, 2023

Not sure why I missed this a few days ago. Thanks so much Wendy. I'm struggling with this week's prompt ( attempting the Little Match Girl one) and I think pulling teeth, even my own, would be easier, so nice to reflect on this story that hit the mark!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:34 Mar 16, 2023

More power to you! I sat out this week for the first time since September.. just couldn’t get there enough to do anything justice.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
15:12 Mar 16, 2023

Sit a week out; sometimes it is a very nice thing to do (I sat out about five over the summer and two only recently). It's amazing how much you'll be itching to get those fingers tapping afterwards; and we'll be waiting for you ,-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
17:49 Mar 11, 2023

What a great concept that Walkman finishing the lyrics of your life for you! Very well written as usual!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
07:46 Mar 12, 2023

Thanks my dear. I'd watched a repair programme where beloved old objects were restored and it's funny how it sneaked into story in such a different guise!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
12:42 Mar 11, 2023

What a great story. It made me want to keep reading (although I had to take a break to play Bryan Ferry!). The story flowed brilliantly and I got a real image of the park, the swing, dad and the house. Thanks so much.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:21 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks Stevie. A bit of background music certainly suits this story; I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:49 Mar 10, 2023

Hi Rebecca This feels like an entry into something different. Some fantastic lines and great build up to the ending. I particularly liked the depictions of the boy’s home life and the “scratch cards with all the wrong numbers.” Says it all. It was gut-wrenching when his dad got hold of the Walkman - a sense of all hope crushed. A tragic tale, but rewarding to read.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:03 Mar 10, 2023

Thanks Helen. I'm particularly pleased the build up worked as tension was one of my main goals for this one. Tragic indeed, but given the circumstances of Mitch's life it felt only fitting that the Walkman was too good to be true. Funny we were both in schools as settings this week.

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:35 Mar 10, 2023

I know. Neither of them particularly happy settlings 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:52 Mar 10, 2023

Rebecca, I loved the structure and the tone of this story, from the first line. The POV has a strong, evocative voice. One thing I have always liked in your stories- vivid sensory images -have a heightened effect in this one with beautiful language replete with alliteration and assonance. I also liked how well you have made the urban fantasy genre lend itself to the narrative. And the twist you gave it in the end. It turns to near horror. Mitch is an underdog with heavy odds stacked against him and no one to turn to. One can’t help themse...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:05 Mar 10, 2023

Thanks Suma for stopping by. I was thinking of tagging it horror, but as that fitted just the end I decided against it. I'm happy the urban fantasy genre worked for you as I'm new to it. May have to read a few others here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:04 Mar 09, 2023

Rebecca, this was so well done. I was drawn in VERY sympathetically to the narrator (Mitch) and his overwhelmed feelings. His voice comes through very clearly, and I felt like I knew him well by the time Evans shows up with his "deal". The ending was beautifully suspenseful! I was reading as fast as I could, so eager to know what would happen! This sort of story always calls me back to things like The Twilight Zone. It's one of those scenarios we daydream about, and seeing it play out was thrilling. Great job!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:06 Mar 10, 2023

Hi Hannah. I'm so thrilled you found it suspenseful as that, along with the angry tone, was my writer's task for this week. Thanks for the lovely engaged comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
07:10 Mar 08, 2023

Hi Zack! Great to hear from you. Oh I'd love to go on an urban fantasy binge. I am very new to the genre. I must admit I plumped for the tag because of the gritty down n' out town vibes I'd gone for in the playpark and the magical Walkman. I sort of hoped those two things would make it qualify! I am so pleased, I really am, that the voice of the 15 year old works. I really put the red pen through all the longer fancier words I usually like to reach for, in the hope of capturing Mitch's more stripped back bleak world, and if it delivered that...

Reply

Zack Powell
08:49 Mar 08, 2023

I love a good detailed discussion, Rebecca, so this comment is all kinds of fantastic to think about! And for a "newbie" to Urban Fantasy, I think you did great. Definitely had a certain vibe that I've come to find in other stories in the genre (the Walkman definitely helped). All right, grammar stuff first: I had no clue the expression was spelled differently in British English (forgive my naivety there), so if that's how it is across the pond and you're wanting to set the story in Britain/UK/Europe, I'd definitely keep it! If this is mean...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
09:12 Mar 08, 2023

Please sleep on it! You sound far more of an expert on this genre than me🙃 I'm going to ponder the tension point too. Have you got any other irons in the fire Zack? I'm ploughing on today with my King Ludwig book which I keep abandoning as I've bitten off more than I can chew with the historical backdrop! I feel my fingers itching to rewrite the Mitch- Evans story though...why is Reedsy such a tempting distraction!?! Night night🌜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
01:10 Mar 08, 2023

I've been on a Magical Realism/Urban Fantasy reading binge lately, so this story couldn't have come at a better time. And from an author I enjoy and trust, too - how lucky am I? (Luckier than Mitch, I'd wager.) What I appreciate most is how deeply-woven the music theme is here. To link Mitch, his father, and Evans through that one thread is pretty slick, especially considering the backstory of the former two. It's funny (well, not funny, but you know what I mean) that music, which is so creative and vital for the Malarkey family, is also th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
23:14 Mar 13, 2023

Good story! I liked the cold wind of the outside 'exposed to every gust blasting ' showing Mitch is on his own contrasted to the ending where he is locked in a room, stuck with only One Way Out (a great Allman Bro.s song, but wrong genre). IMO one slight change could be to have Mitch consider his choice more, to put it more on himself how he got into this predicament. Congrats on Recommendation - fingers crossed

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:17 Mar 14, 2023

Thanks for the congrats. Let's see!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.