32 comments

Speculative Fantasy

The TV hummed along with Mama in the evening air while Koa painted the village outside.

β€œThe King leaves remarks about witch rumours, saying β€˜they could be lurking anywhere you turn.’ The King says these witches are talking about possibilities of escaping the village, and denies any further thoughts about it.”

β€œWell then,” said Mama, β€œwe’ll get a cat!”

Koa looked up from her painting. β€œWhy?”

β€œBecause cats protect from witches,” said Mama, β€œBlack cats are the most powerful.”

Koa blinked a few times and asked, β€œWhy do we need protection?”

β€œBecause it’s a small world,” said Mama. β€œA small world.”

It was, Koa thought. Because she was trapped inside a bubble, and there was no way out.

.~.~.~.

β€œKoa, wake up! The cat has arrived!”

Koa blinked and yawned as the moonlight shone through her window. Moonlight lived side by side with the people, because they lived in eternal night. Koa once heard of something called the sun, but she didn’t know if she believed that myth or not.

Koa trudged out of her room to the center room of the house.

β€œRRARW!”

A black cat jumped on Mama’s chest, with its jaw open and claws out.

β€œGAGH GET OF-”

As soon as the cat saw Koa in the room, it jumped off Mama and started licking Koa’s ankle. They looked at each other as the cat purred.

β€œWhat’s its name?” Koa asked.

β€œShe’s a girl,” said Mama, β€œAnd you get to pick the name, since she’s your cat.”

Koa’s jaw dropped. β€œShe’s mine?”

Mama nodded and Koa smiled while looking down at the cat.Β 

β€œI’ll name her Pine.”

Mama nodded and said, β€œYou have to keep her beside you, always. You heard the TV reporter: witches could be hiding around any corner.”

Koa shrugged and said, β€œOkay, Mama,” and beckoned Pine outside.

It was a full moon, light spilling out from the white sphere and pouring over the village. The midnight sky was draped over the sky, with little stars twinkling in the distance.

Well, not the real sky.

Koa knew the bubble, and the King, had tricks, like the fact that something more than night existed. The King tried to convince the town that there was nothing else than the village, but Koa knew his whole scheme. She was the only one who read history books about Before. She got teased for it, but now she was glad she continued reading those books.

As it was early, the cobblestone streets were empty except for Koa and Pine.

β€œCome on Pine!” Koa beckoned.

Pine froze in place, her bright green eyes suddenly misted over and fixed on something behind Koa.

Koa slowly turned around and saw...nothing.

Well, there was a raspberry bush covering the end of a cobblestone path, but Pine kept goggling at it.

β€œYou okay Pine?”

The black cat shook its body, like a dog after taking a bath, and its eyes were normal again.

Koa raised her eyebrow, but Pine beckoned her forward this time, so Koa followed Pine away.

More people started to get up while Koa and Pine walked around the village. Koa also noticed many other kids had cats: mainly black, but there were a few white ones too. Some people even had dogs, but those were more demanding to take care of, so there were only a few.Β 

β€œHey Koa!”

Koa swirled around and spotted her friend, Ari.

β€œHi Ari! You got a white cat!”

β€œYep,” said Ari. β€œHis name’s Halo.”

β€œNice! Mine’s named Pine.”

β€œCoo-”

β€œHELLO!” said Forrest, another one of Koa’s friends, barging into the conversation.

β€œHi!” Ari and Koa said in unison.

β€œI got a dog! What’re your cats’ names?”

β€œWow! What did you name it?” asked Ari. β€œMine’s Halo and Koa’s is Pine.”

Forrest laughed. β€œForrest and Pine! That’s funny. My dog’s name is Cheddar. Cheddar, come here!”

A golden retriever puppy bounded through the crowd and nuzzled Forrest’s knee.

β€œGood girl,” she said while ruffling Cheddar’s fur.

β€œDo you guys believe the witch thing?” Ari asked.

β€œI don’t know,” said Koa, β€œBut since they prompted us to get pets, I don’t mind.”

They laughed, the moonlight cascading down their face and illuminating their happiness.

.~.~.~.

After a few hours of talking with Forrest and Ari, Koa sat in her room and continued on her painting. She was practicing the impressionism style, and the free brushstrokes were definitely something to get used to.

As she painted, she thought back to the walk with her friend earlier. All of the pets had frozen at that raspberry bush, and Cheddar had even barked at it a few times.

Shhhhh, the window creaked out. Koa turned around to glance at it, and there was a dark figure with poofy hair blowing in the wind. Koa blinked and they were gone.

Turning around to face her painting again, there was a pink sticky note stuck to her painting, which said:

β€˜Outside the bubble at the bush, I’ll be waiting.’

.~.~.~.

For the next week, the notes kept coming.

β€˜You can escape.’

β€˜You and Pine.’

β€˜Imagine a different world…’

Koa arranged them in chronological order and them seemed to form a message:

β€˜Outside the bubble at the bush, I’ll be waiting.

At 1:37 AM, so they don’t see us.

They tried to fool you, but you were too smart.

Too clever.

You can escape.

You and Pine.

Imagine a different world…’

Koa smiled and looked at her clock.

6:38 PM.

6 hours and 59 minutes.

58.

.~.~.~.

At 1:27 AM, Koa set off.

Waking up Pine wasn’t as hard as she thought, because it was like Pine knew her plan already.

Well, she could’ve, because she’d run through it too many times to count.

Koa had eaten dinner, painted, read, painted, pretended to go to sleep and woken up at 1 AM. She then packed all her essentials in a backpack: water, chips, a rain jacket, a hat, sunscreen and cat kibble.Β 

Changing into comfy clothes, Koa was ready. She felt like one of those characters in a movie, off to discover something amazing and eccentric.

Almost.

Pine automatically followed Koa out their little cabin door, out into the moonlight. Koa thought the light seemed a bit softer that night; a bit more forgiving, perhaps.Β 

Once they found the little raspberry bush, there was one last note:

β€˜Prick the raspberry that is a bit lighter than the other. Eat it, stick your hand through the bush and say goodbye.

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β ~ L.N.’

Koa realized that was the eighth note, matching the eight phases of the moon. Hmm.

Once she started looking for the raspberry, Koa noticed that she might not be able to come back. Looking at Pine, she blinked. She’d figure out how to get back somehow.

Finding the berry was fairly easy: it was salmon coloured, and had a bit more reddish tinge to it. Slipping it into her mouth, Koa squeezed her eyes shut. It was salty! It tasted odd, like salted mango and zucchini, with hints of meat in it too. Very peculiar.

Koa then stuck her hand into the bush, bracing for thorny impact, but she hit nothing. She waggled her fingers around and. . . still nothing.

Koa slightly squinted her eyes open, but was taken aghast by the things she saw. Bright coloured lights, flashing before her eyes. Then little rainbow ovals swimming amongst bigger, grey ovals. The grey ones had fins on the top and back, and then blinding orange light filled Koa’s sight.

An orange, yellow and white ball.

The sun…?

Many other things flashed through her mind, most of them a form of light other than the moon. Koa was thrilled to see so many things that hadn’t existed in her world. The thing which she thought was the sun reappeared frequently, maybe reminding her of all the things she was ought to know.

Suddenly, her head went dark and she slumped to the ground. Pine purred and nudged Koa, trying to wake her up.

.~.~.~.

β€œKoa.”

She blinked her eyes open as Pine licked her face.

β€œCan you see me?”

Koa cautiously looked up at a girl, who had chocolate skin and bright blue fluffy hair, with black roots. She had indigo eyes and large hoop earrings. A black cloak concealed the rest of her figure.

β€œI’m L. How are you?”

Koa rubbed her eyes open. β€œThe raspberry tasted interesting, and the flashing lights hurt my eyes a bit.”

β€œYeah,” said L. β€œSorry β€˜bout that. That was just preparing you for something. Would you like to see your world again, but from the outside?”

Koa looked confused. β€œYes, but how?”

β€œFollow me.”

The room looked like a laboratory of sorts. L led Koa to the center table and pointed to a snow-globe the size of a watermelon.

β€œThat’s where you came from.”

Koa squatted down and peered into the snow-globe. She saw Mama cooking, Ari and Forrest discussing where she might be. She also saw the raspberry bush rustling in the wind.

β€œWha...how?”

β€œI found out how to create worlds! It’s quite fun, actually. Yours is my first: took about 3 years to where it is now. And before you ask, yes, you will get to see your family and friends again, rather soon.” L smiled. β€œWould you like to check out the sunset outside?”

Koa gasped and ran out the door to a cliff-side yellow-orange-pink coloured sunset. The semi-circle of the sun sat cozy at the bottom of the horizon, and Koa gasped one more time.

β€œIs that the sun?”

β€œYes!” exclaimed L. β€œWelcome to Earth!”

August 18, 2021 23:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

TBR WHDISNAISHAIAHSIAH also check this out omg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJWSAJjkTsI

Reply

wow aerin wow XD also, for your poll: hunger games: red? (never read it lol) percy jackson: green kotlc: yellow? harry potter: green twilight: red? (haven't read it either XD)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

hello! This story is a bit rusty since I haven't posted a story in almost two months ( :o ), but here it is :) If you have other title ideas, pitch them in!! :D Hope you like it!!! ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
21:37 Aug 23, 2021

ooooooooo plot twist! (also I love your pfp)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:49 Aug 21, 2021

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH algihuglirahuar- thisstorywassostinkinggoodhowdoilearnyourmasterskills Even though you haven't posted a story in a while, this did not fail to impress and surprise me! The ending was a bit of a twist; I didn't expect their world to be a snowglobe. As always, your description was beautiful, and the only time I needed more of it was when Koa (love the names btw) went into the room where the snowglobe was with L. It just felt like all of a sudden Koa was there, and nothing happened between her arriving on Earth and h...

Reply

ASJDKFHAJSDFHJSDF TY I no master tho ehe ;D thank you!!!!! thanks for the suggestions! tysmmm! also: Ivy Carter is coming back sometime next week along with Abigail Cross, spread the word!

Reply

19:35 Aug 23, 2021

YW and you are sUcH a mAsTeR My pleasure, Ames!!! ywsmmm! Oh, yay! That's so exciting! Of course I'll spread the news!

Reply

gahhh fine <3 <33 :DD :D

Reply

01:01 Aug 26, 2021

<333 :DDD

Reply

🍌 🍌 🍌

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
07:12 Aug 20, 2021

Join me here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l1H9SUk-Z4VvSKhPYAV_z1kZJLRN9UgmdaxXxKii_TM/edit?usp=sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danny -
01:46 Aug 20, 2021

OOoOHHHhh cool story, the last line gave me ~goosebumps~ :0 I really like this oneee, one of my favorites now anddd I still can't get my head around the experiment dome thing they're on, it's so interesting. Do you maybeee know what happens next? :o This whole read was just surreal, your writing style made it so easy to see through Koa's eyes and ah it's *amazing*. I don't know what it is with this story that's sooooo idddk suspenseful? mysteriously so exciting? lolol im going crazyy I LOVE IT xD GREAT JOBBB :D

Reply

thanks :D Tyyyyy <33 I have absolutely no idea XD ajshdjfd THANK YOU DANNY <3333

Reply

Danny -
00:28 Aug 21, 2021

no problem :D ooh hm I remember what your story reminds me of now and I lovee it so much loll~ I was recently reading 'The Next Together' and I can't shake off the whole medieval-witch-capt-protection/science fiction vibes your story gives off, it's the perfect genre combination for basically everything hehehehrhr (sorry for rambling :')) uwhsb of course! <333

Reply

<333 oooh! is it good? I also took a lot of inspo from a book [series] called Bloodleaf :> <333 also: Ivy Carter is coming back sometime next week along with Abigail Cross, spread the word!

Reply

Danny -
22:42 Aug 21, 2021

yeahh I like it a lot :> ooh that's interesting, what is it about? they are?? that's great! c:

Reply

:DD adding to my TBR list XD it's high fantasy, and I am horrible at describing so here is the description from Goodreads XDD: Surrounded by spirits and burdened with forbidden magic, she lives in constant fear of discovery by the witch-hunting Tribunal and their bloodthirsty mobs. When a devastating assassination attempt reveals her magical abilities, Aurelia is forced to flee her country with nothing but her life. Alone and adrift in an enemy kingdom, Aurelia plans her revenge against the Tribunal, desperate to bring down the dark organiza...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
01:31 Aug 20, 2021

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I really liked this story! I liked the concept of the different worlds and someone seeing sunshine for the first time. L.N is kinda mysterious, and I like that more than I should XDD But great job with the descriptions, especially of Koa's original world. I also liked the names, Koa, Pine, Forrest (ofc, you added the tweak of humor in amazingly), Ari, Halo, Cheddar XDDD Super grrrrrrrrreat job overall!!!

Reply

tank youuuuu smmmm ehe ;D thank you!!! yas, me too :D thank you Tiff!!!

Reply

TJ Squared
20:20 Aug 20, 2021

XD Np Lol Ofc

Reply

TJ Squared
22:06 Aug 20, 2021

<3333

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
16:03 Aug 21, 2021

Hey, Ame! Ivy Carter is coming back sometime next week along with Abigail Cross, spread the word!

Reply

THEY ARE?? YAS OKAY I WILL

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.