2 comments

Thriller

I walked towards my house slowly after a hard day at work. Looking forward to chilling and watching something on Netflix. As I approached, something seemed wrong. The timed light was on by the door so I didn’t walk into a dark house. That was normal but I couldn’t suppress the feeling of dread in my stomach. I put it down to the nights getting darker. I hated the winter months. I walked to the door and put the key in. Opening the locked door. As I turned after closing it behind me I saw a shadow move. Fear grabbed me. Someone was in my home.

“Hi babe, while you were out I cleaned and did your washing, I even dusted, even though you know I hate doing that.” Came a familiar voice from the kitchen.

“Paul? How did you get in here? We broke up remember?” I called walking slowly towards the kitchen.

“You’re back door was open.”

“No Paul. The back door is never open as I don’t use it.”

Paul was sat casually at the dining room table with a can of lager in his hand.

“OK, I admit, I found the hidden pill bottle glued to the rock, Cool trick, very handy against thieves.”

“So you used my spare front door key?” That I hid after we had broken up, I silently added

“Yeah, aren’t you glad, look at how good this place looks”

“Yes, it does. Would you like another can before you leave, as a thank you for all your hard work.”

I picked my words carefully, this could be bad.

“Leave? why would I do that? I picked up a bottle of your favourite wine and ordered from your favourite Chinese, it should be here in a half-hour or so. Plus I also got that new film you wanted to watch. I thought we could watch it. Together. It’s date night”

“Oh, Paul that was so nice of you but I, erm, I have plans tonight”

“Cancel them. I did all of this for you, you don’t want to seem ungrateful do you?”

His eyes darkened. Best to play along, for now.

“No, no. You are right of course. I’ll just quickly jump in the shower then, so I can be nice and clean for when we eat”

“I already preempted you would say that and your bath has been run and is waiting for you”

“You are so thoughtful Paul.”

I turned to leave to go upstairs.

“Wait. Shelley. I will stay down here and look after your phone. You don’t want to drop it in the bath again do you?”

I quietly sighed with reluctance, there goes my call to the police.

“You are right, here it is.”

The fact that last time I ‘dropped’ it in the bath, you threw it in because we were fighting hasn’t crossed your mind has it? you psycho I thought as I walked towards my bath.

The bath was of course perfect. Rose petals in the water and candles around it. There was even soft relaxing music playing. He was pulling out all the stops. As I put my hand into the perfect temperature water. I tried to remember that he was a psycho. But he was trying so hard. Yes he broke in but he had done a lot around the house for me, maybe he could change? I sank my head under the water. This really was a perfect bath. The door-bell rang just as I was about to get out.

“Food’s here precious” Paul yelled up the stairs.

I got out and wrapped my hair in a towel, I was hungry and couldn’t be bothered to dry it. Then I put on my pyjamas and a dressing gown and went downstairs. Paul turned from plating up the Chinese.

“Babe, what are you doing? I put out a nice new dress on your bed. Go back up and change. Do your hair the way I like it. Do you really expect to eat with me looking like that?”

“No paul, sorry paul. I’ll go and change right now”

“Good. Hurry up or you will have to eat cold food.”

I ran up the stairs and started to blow dry my hair. I looked at the dress it was a long white one, looked like it was split from the bottom up to my hip and it was very low cut. I looked away. Play the game, stay safe. I had managed to come out of the hypnotic trance the bath had lulled me into. Once I was dressed with my hair ‘the way he liked it’ (Down, nothing special, Just down) I added a touch of makeup. Hoping the extra effort would please him. I went downstairs.

“Babe. You look amazing, you even did up your face for me. Give me a twirl”

I span around for him. My eyes searching for my phone.

“Good girl. I put your phone somewhere safe. I saw you looking. You don’t need it when you are safe, with me.”

“Work could call”

“Work? Is that what you are calling him?”

“There is no ‘him’ Paul”

“Yeah. Look at you all dolled up ready for a night standing on a corner. You’re disgusting”

“No Paul. I wouldn’t do that”

“Hah, of course, you wouldn’t. So coy aren’t you. So sweet”

He sneered at me finishing his can. He crushed it one-handed and threw it into the sink. He then walked to the couch in front of the TV with the wine and the Chinese on the small coffee table and patted the seat next to him.

“Come on babe. Foods getting cold, sit here. Next to me. We can eat then snuggle as we watch the film.”

I stalled, his mood swings seemed to be worse from the last time I had seen him.

“Yes Paul”

I sat next to him as we ate in silence watching the movie. He ate quicker than me so I was only half-finished when he glanced over at me. I kept my gaze on the screen.

“You like him, Don’t you?”

“He is a good actor” Look at the screen, Shell. Look at the screen

“No. You like him more than me. Don’t you? Slut.”

“No! Paul. It’s just a good film, I’m with you. I’m here with you eating this lovely food and being next to you.”

The food was splattered against the wall before I had time to react.

“I don’t believe you. You would rather be with him. Admit it”

“No, Paul I’m here with you, I’m right here.”

I reached for his hands to try and calm him. He got up and left the room. Then the lights went out.

“Paul!”

“I’m here babe, I’m right here. It looks like the power has gone out.”

“But the street lights are still on”

“Are you calling me a liar!”

“No paul. I wouldn’t. It was just an observation.”

“It’s ok babe, I know you are scared, here look. I have candles.”

“That’s good Paul”

He reached for his coat and pulled out some tea lights. He lit them placed them around the room.

“That’s much better isn’t it babe, much more romantic”

“Yes, Paul. But have you tried the fuse box maybe a bulb blew and knock out my-our power”

“Do you not trust me bitch? I said the power WAS out.”

“Yes Paul, I trust you, yes”

“Good. Now come over here give me a hug and apologise for not believing me.”

I walked back over to him, I had gone to the window when the lights had gone out. I sat down next to him and leaned over hugging him.

“I’m sorry Paul,” I said into his shoulder, he hugged me back

“You love me don’t you?”

“Yes Paul”

“Say it. Tell me you love me.”

“I love you, Paul”

We sat there entwined. In our own little dark world. He might be a psycho, but he did give the best hugs.

September 11, 2020 13:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Inna J
16:24 Sep 18, 2020

I think this is a good base story. I would've liked to see more depth in the main character, so I can understand what makes her want to stay, or at least what she sees in Paul. Does she get some twisted excitement from his stalking? Also, in your dialogue she says "Paul" nearly every time she speaks to him, it might sound more realistic if you edit it to be more sparse.

Reply

Rachel Alex Wall
02:23 Sep 19, 2020

Saying Paul is submissive, like she is calling him master or some other term to make him feel superior. I'm not sure about her depth as it's a dependent-like abusive relationship, she feels strong on her own but powerless when she is with him. I didn't want to make it too dark, she has no depth because she feels she is nothing without him when he is around

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.