Battle Under the Sea

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Write a fantasy story about water gods or spirits.... view prompt

20 comments

Christian Speculative Fantasy

It was an eerie night. The moon was mourning, clothing itself with the black sackcloth of night.


Everything was still.

No mouse squeaked. No toad croaked. No firefly lighted the lush weeds. No merry cricket dared to call out its signature mating sound.


In the physical, a dancing ripple could be seen on the surface. Spiritually, it bubbled and boiled. Then, like a tsuanmous wave, it rose, gigantic and hulking.


The silent night was pierced by the roar of an enraged warrior, followed by the shrieks of his accomplices.


Like darts, imps, goblins, demons of all sizes and shapes were flung aside like water from a centrifugal drier. Tossed here and there like paper in the wind.


There was a rotating whirlwind in the middle of the body of water.


"This is not your territory! What have you come to do here?" Red glowing eyes and huge scaly body, Leviathan confronted the intruders.


Another blast of energy hit him straight on his chest and he tumbled backwards, creating a streaky pathway of bubbling water in his wake.


"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof!" a deep voice boomed from the center of the whirlwind.


~•••••✓✓✓✓✓•••••~


Moments earlier,

Spiritual Center of the Seven Seas,


"What do you mean the prisoner has escaped?" Leviathan roared at the whimpering form of a demonic guardian.

She was Mergirl, complete with her human torso and aqua-fin. She was beautiful.

Well, it was the kind of beauty that masked such hideous degree of darkness that could make one's skin crawl and suck out life from one, slowly but surely.


"Mas- Master, I tried my best to–," she attempted to explain but was cut short by a chocking sensation. She flailed her silvery tail in struggle against the invisible hand that held her, squishing life out of her.


Leviathan was at the far edge of his throne, seated in coils. His frame was like that of an elongated, gigantic crocodile that was covered in ashen, spiky scales.


"You tried your best?" Leviathan's gruff voice rippled through this spiritual underwater atmosphere. His blood-red eyes narrowed as he tightened his grip around the poor thing's neckline.


Mergirl gurgled, her life ebbing away fast, magnetizing her to banishment into the Dry Place.


"You let our priced possession go, and you open that filthy tongue of yours to tell me you tried your best? By Hades, I will personally hand you over to our Evil master for special torment."


All the blood in Mergirl's face drained. That was even worse than the Dry Place.


It wasn't my fault, Mergirl wanted to argue.

The priced possession, a female earthling named Ella, had been covenanted from birth by her ancestors to be the vessel to spread the influence of the water gods to the land of humans.

Ella was chosen to be a secret weapon to wreck havoc to the camp of the saints of the Holy One. Ella, presently a twenty one year old lady, was aware of her status in the spiritual realm and she was, in fact, happy to have such powers.


That was, until she began to slip away from the grip of Mergirl, who was her personal demon, all because of the intercession of one saint of the Holy One, Deborah.


Mergirl was mad at Deborah. She was the reason why Ella escaped and is now in the camp of the saints of the Holy One.


"Let her go, Lev," a deep, fat voice slurred, "She is not worth the trouble. Besides, we have more captives to monitor and more preys to catch."


The source of the voice stirred noisily. The sound was like grunts and scrapping.


It was Behemoth, the hippo god. His throne was round and fat, just like him. His thick leathery skin did justice to his matching voice.


"We can as well find a better vessel to open the portal for Dagon," he continued.


Turning to Behemoth, his grip on Mergirl never faltering, Leviathan said, "You know she was meant to be the vessel not only for ancient Lord Dagon, but for all of us as well. I had her groomed well to accommodate legions of our kind."


"Be not mad," Behemoth simply said.


Leviathan let go of Mergirl so abruptly that she plonked into the icy floor of these gods' palace, coughing and wheezing like a fish removed out of water and dipped into desert sand.


"Now, how did it happen?"


Mergirl hesitated. Speaking might only infruiate Leviathan the more.


"Speak up!" another voice, this one much feminine barked.

It was the Queen of the Seven Seas, the godmother of the coasts of the orb.

She was also beautiful, the epitome of pride and seduction. She had curly blonde hair that matched her azure skin colour perfectly. Her white, irisless eyes sparked with irritation.


She had been silent all through Mergirl's report because she was angry and disappointed that her minion had flopped a very huge plan.


"Emm... I, I– was atta- attacked by the Host of... Heaven," Mergirl stuttered out.


The moment that statement landed, a stifling silence reigned.


Because, they were here. Their holy aura could be felt invading the darkness.


As if by automation, all the other water spirits, imps, goblins, hobgoblin, nymphs and mer-creatures that made up the demonic ranks of the Seven Seas were summoned, and all at once they appeared, teleporting from their various locations.


The Heavenly Host!


Pfft, Leviathan would have mocked, for they were three in number. The fact that they were renown and much dreaded in the Kingdom of darkness was what kept him mute.


Haliel, the shearer, Ammiel, thundering hammer, and Griel, the whirlwind, were here.


Leviathan narrowed his eyes into slits, making him look all the more like the reptilian god he was. That was partly because he wasn't the least bit glad to see them, and partly because their light was blinding, eating at and piercing through his well-constructed force field of darkness.


Leviathan could hear the hiss of pain as some of the minor demons were obliterated by the angels light, and the snarls and growls of the much stronger of the demonic horde.

Behemoth and the Sea Queen flanked his sides, poised for battle.


This was so unexpected. Why were they here? There was a defined limit for darkness and light. The Holy One had ordained it from the beginning.

They were the moon and stars ruling by night. They were the gods of the underwater system of this orb.


"How dare you invade our territory, you losers," Leviathan said through gritted, fang-like, iron teeth. His breath stank of rotten fish, blood and of course, hate.


The angelic crew said nothing. They simply simultaneously unfurled their wings to release more bursts of glory.


Their wings were translucent, each flutter in the spiritual air caused ripples of light to burst through the water. Their wings shimmered of gold and every precious stone.


The action cut through more demons, sending them automatically spiralling down to the Dry Place with eerie howls.


"We have come to reclaim the land for Yahweh," they chorused, their voices in sweet synchrony and harmony, strong and full of authority.


Before Leviathan had the chance to respond, the angels lifted from the ice floor with their wings, their hands intertwined.


Griel started the whirlwind and the water roared.

Haliel gladly sliced through the shrieking hordes of stubborn demons who were trying to fight back.

Ammiel's thundering hammer was very effective in smashing and crushing the heads and whatever body part of the unlucky demon it met.


"Nooooo!" Queen of the Coast screeched as her voice faded away.

Griel's whirlwind had caught her, which meant being bound and sent into the abyss.


Behemoth was dispatched quickly by the thundering hammer of Ammiel. His black blood oozed out into the water like tar. He disappeared in a puff of cloud.


Now, it was remaining Leviathan, who was stubbornly fighting, spewing out flames from his mouth and nostrils.


Ammiel, Griel and Haliel merged their spirits as one, fueled by the prayers of the Saints, by the decrees of the Word spoken by those currently conducting deliverance over Ella, by the unction of the Holy One who commanded them to conquer.

Lightning, fire and water swirled into one fearful massive wave.


"This is not your territory! What have you come to do here?" Red glowing eyes and huge scaly body, Leviathan growled.


Another blast of energy hit him straight on his chest and he tumbled backwards, creating a streaky pathway of bubbling water in his wake.


"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof!" a deep voice boomed like the sound of thunder and many rushing waters from the center of the whirlwind.


And with one advance towards a disoriented Leviathan, the angels shattered through his defenses, his haughty heart, his scaly skin, his spiritual form.

Blood streaked, undulating in colour between deep red and obsidian black hues.


The water became still again.


~•••••✓✓✓✓✓•••••~


Ella opened her eyes and coughed. A soft, tender hand patted her back.


"Take it easy dear," Deborah's soothing voice said.


Ella used her hands to prop herself up from the bed. "Where am I?" Ella asked when she calmed down, looking into Deborah's peaceful eyes with her sky blue ones.


The last she recalled before the unveiling of the battles of the water gods and the angels, was that she was in a church surrounded by a true pastor and other believers who were praying for her.


"You're safe now," Deborah said.


"I saw it all. They're gone. Just like that?"


Deborah smiled. "We serve a God who is greater than all gods."


Ella nodded.

She stood up from her half-sitting, half-laying position and went to a bowl of water that sat on a table in the room.


Tenaciously, she tested, raising her right palm over the bowl.


It was gone. It really was gone!

She wanted to laugh and skip and jump at the same time.


Before, just a simple waving of her palm coupled with concentration, and maybe muttering a few chants under the influence of Mergirl, dependent on the intensity of the situation, she could control water.


Until it began to control her. Until it began to spiral out of control. Until she was entangled in its web.


Her blue eyes glazed with tears of appreciation, her heart filled with thanksgiving, she fell to her knees and whispered, "Jesus is Lord!"


Unable to restrain herself any longer, she fell to her face and began to weep.

March 04, 2021 15:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Bonnie Clarkson
03:24 Mar 23, 2021

I liked it for the improvement in your writing and the effort to show there are princes and principalities that are affecting us without us knowing it. It's rather hard to see how to apply it to my Christian walk until the very end and the importance of prayer. I can't write that type of story. I don't trust my imagination to delve into something the Bible says very little about. Have you thought of starting it with a prayer? And how God answers several prayers at once?

Reply

Praise Abraham
11:01 Mar 23, 2021

Thank you for reading this humble attempt at writing Christian supernatural fiction. I actually base most of my stories on the supernatural on what the Bible says. I made mention of the fact that I got my inspiration from Job, where Leviathan an Behemoth were mentioned. And I also trust the Holy Spirit to guide me as I write. The main purpose is to make people, particularly Christians aware that the spiritual realm is real and that we shouldn't sleep. Of course, prayer is very important. I love to pray.🤗💖🙏

Reply

Bonnie Clarkson
11:47 Mar 24, 2021

I was not talking about you praying. I had already assumed that. I simply meant if you started a story with prayer, God's involvement in the spiritual warfare would be more evident.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bello Azeezat
16:56 Mar 05, 2021

No matter how one is rooted or deep in sin...He will surely deliver and forgive us ....more wisdom knowledge and understanding in Jesus name....There's no battle our Lord God can fight..He was, He is and He will forever be there for us.I really enjoy the story...Stay blessed sis.

Reply

Praise Abraham
19:47 Mar 05, 2021

Awww... I'm so glad you read and enjoyed this story. God bless you too sis. 🌹💖🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
05:27 Mar 05, 2021

YES! I love you you mixed fantasy with solid rock hard truth! Very well written and thought out! Yes, Leviathan and Behemoth were mentioned in Job, but also Isaiah 27:1, saying, "In that day, the LORD will punish with his sword, his fierce, great and powerful sword, Leviathan the gliding serpent, Leviathan the coiling serpent; he will slay the monster of the sea." Your story totally reminded me of that! Great job!

Reply

Praise Abraham
08:42 Mar 05, 2021

Hmmm... Thank you so much for the extra scripture refrence. So, we can kinda say that there will be a day when God will definitely destroy the real leviathan just as I depicted in my story. Hallelujah! 🔥💃💃💃 I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. 💖😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Praise Abraham
08:42 Mar 05, 2021

Hmmm... Thank you so much for the extra scripture refrence. So, we can kinda say that there will be a day when God will definitely destroy the real leviathan just as I depicted in my story. Hallelujah! 🔥💃💃💃 I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. 💖😁

Reply

TJ Squared
15:45 Mar 05, 2021

:))) Yes I did enjoy! Come, Lord Jesus, Come!

Reply

Praise Abraham
19:52 Mar 05, 2021

Maranatha! 🤗🤗🤗 PS: I just had this hunch that you had added me to your bio and i wasn't wrong. Thanks so much. I feel honored. 💖💖💖 I'd appreciate you upvoting me... Or maybe not. God bless you. 🌹

Reply

TJ Squared
19:55 Mar 05, 2021

That's an interesting phrase there...Maranatha. :)))) Your welcome! And yes, I just figured out how to upvote, so yeah, I will be doing that more :) Have a great day!

Reply

Praise Abraham
19:57 Mar 05, 2021

Actually Maranatha was a common christian greeting used in the early church. It means Come Lord Jesus, Come. Which was technically what you said. So... Ha ha!😅😅

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
05:22 Mar 05, 2021

Captivating story, I loved your description of the angels. Great job.

Reply

Praise Abraham
08:39 Mar 05, 2021

Aww... Thanks so much ma'am. I like to imagine a lot. Plus the hints we get from the bible. Angels are cool. But Jesus is definitely the best. 💖🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eden H
22:55 Mar 04, 2021

I loved this! I remember, the Leviathan was mentioned in Job! There were some minor spelling and grammar errors, but the story was moving and beautiful!! I really liked it!!

Reply

Praise Abraham
04:19 Mar 05, 2021

Thanks so much. I'll get to editing right away... 😃😃😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Praise Abraham
15:17 Mar 04, 2021

Hi everyone! I was inspired to write this story by reading Job 40:15-24 and Job 41. I hope my attempt at writing supernatural fiction is good. 🤭 I'd love your constructive criticism. Loads of love. 💖💖💖

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.