STRANGERS ON RUBI ISLE

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write a story about someone losing faith in an institution.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

(This story is set on planet earth’s twin GAIA2 which is 800 years younger and is evolving.)

Whizma – the wizard and witch of Rubi Isle said to her client “What you said is true. I didn’t see it but it seems recently one night a star descended on our land and 3 strangers alighted. The star then disappeared. The 3 who landed have peculiar names. The tall man is Fred, the woman who is his wife is named Wilma. The third person is a male named Barney.”

In the privacy of their home Fred said “Wilma, the queen appears a nice lady and has allowed us to live on Rubi Isle.”

“I still don’t understand why we were abducted and taken into that starship. Of course, those who brought us here have said they would come back and return us in our land.”

Scratching his chin Fred said “I don’t know when that would happen.” He continued “At least this land is like ours and the people seem friendly.”

Wilma said “All people here are clad only waist down. That means the women are bare-breasted. And I was told I should dress likewise. I’m ashamed.”

“Why? I can assure you that you’ve nothing to be ashamed of. They are delectable. Look, I’m already in the national costume.”

Fred paused and then said “Barney has been given tools which he needs to start construction work and he has been told he could use indigenous labour.”

“But none of us know the local language.”

“We’ll all pick it up soon.”

In a couple of weeks their house was ready. Fred and Wilma moved into their room and Barney occupied the room on the first floor. It had been built to be very comfortable and the locals were astonished. Fred trained a monkey to do a few routine jobs.

Wilma said “Fred instead of milk they have given us a cow. A woman taught me the miking procedure. It is easy. I’ll do it regularly hereafter.”

Fred laughed and said “When I see you go out with a pail I’ll sing ‘Where’re you going my pretty maid?’”

“And I would’ve to say ‘A milking I go!“

“I’ll train my little monkey to carry the milk inside.”

Wilma quickly started to keep house and cook.

Meanwhile Barney said “Fred, there seems to be so much wind power here. I can build a wind contraption.”

“Do it. I’ll join you.

The two of them along with local workers started work with wood which was found in abundance. They soon produced a big wind rotor. The queen visited and appreciated what had been built. She was shown how the contraption could grind food grains. Fred explained that it was labour saving. The queen asked “Any other structures you propose to build?”

. Fred said “Yes Madam. We’re planning to build a giant slide using wood. People will climb to the top using ladders and slide down at speed. It would be very exciting.”

The queen said “Do it fast. I wish you good luck with your projects.”

One of the women who was eyeing the projects was Zyma, the young wife of Moz, an elderly grain merchant. She had fallen in love with Barney and had started sending him messages. Barney ignored her though he confided the matter to Fred and Wilma.

Fred laughed and said “You’re a lucky guy! That fellow is old but she is nice looking and has a good shape.”

Wilma was cross and said “Fred, you’ve no business appreciating Zyma when I’m with you.”

Fred merely laughed and said “Wilma I said it as a mere joke.”

Wilma said “Such appreciation of another woman can’t be taken as a joke. Fred you must make amends. Until then I won’t speak to you.” She walked away.

Barney said “Fred I’m sorry at what has happened.”

“It’s alright Barney. She will come around.”

The windmill was completed and was working very efficiently. Many people came to watch. Meanwhile the slide was being readied. While the ladders were being built Fred said “Barney the old will not be able to use this.”

“Yes. This is for the young. See the height of the slide.”

Fred laughed and said “I can realize what will happen when people slide down at speed. Their dress -the pareyou- as they call it, will fly away. Wilma will be shocked!”

Barney said “Fred, there you go again offending Wilma! Remember she is still cross.” He paused and said “Let us build a big merry-go-round for children. The workmen have already made the horses on which children will sit as it whirls around spun by operators.”

“I’m sure it will be a big success.”

Suddenly one morning the windmill stopped working. Barney investigated and said “The main wheel has been broken by someone deliberately probably using a crowbar. It must have been done by a male[A1] considering strength needed. I can even describe the man. He is not very tall but has a strong body. He is lame in the left foot. It looks like he is a lefthanded fellow.”

Fred said “Barney how did you get so many details?”

“Simple Fred. The fellow carrying the crowbar had to cross a ditch filled with water. He has left his footprints and I saw he has a defect in his left leg. From the depth of indentation on the ground I can say he stood very near the rotor and so I feel he isn’t a tall fellow. He has wielded the crowbar from the left and that makes me think he is probably lefthanded.”

“I’ll send for the witch Whizma. She could help identify the saboteur.”

Whizma came and after hearing details said “From your description it looks to be the work of the hunchback Zero who works for grain merchant Moz.”

Zero was found and he confessed to having done the job. He said Zyma wife of Moz had paid him to do it.

The queen ordered “Keep Zero in custody. Look for Zyma.”

  A little later Barney hadn’t come home and Fred was worried. He couldn’t know what was happening:

Barney lay stretched out on a makeshift bed in a barn and was held down by ropes. Zyma was standing alongside with a red hot poker in hand. Showing it to him she said “I can handle you with a gentle touch or use this poker to burn your you know what. It would damage the parts. Make love to me or…….. .The choice is yours.”

He refused when she pulled off his pareyou and was about to apply the poker when police came in and seized her. They released Barney and took Zyma before the queen. The queen heard what the police had to say and then ordered Zyma to speak.

Zyma said “I plead guilty. I fell in love with Barney for his appearance and skills and wanted a child through him as it would have a fair complexion. When Barney declined my suits I got Zero to destroy the mill.I got him abducted and was about to destroy his manhood also when police intervened.”

The queen said “Let law take its course.”

Zyma was taken away to prison.

 At home Fred realized that Wilma was still cross with him and wasn’t speaking to him. He felt like making up with her and for a start called out “Wilma I wonder where Barney has gone.”

She remained mute. Just then Barney walked in. He told Fred and Wilma about the happenings and said “I was lucky to escape unhurt.”

The following day Fred was told that Zyma had been jailed pending trial. He saw it was surely time for a rapprochement and when alone with Wilma said “Wilma, we should make up. You must speak to me.” She was still silent. He continued “I’m training the new monkey to bring in the milk after you finish milking.” He started the song “Where are you going my pretty maid?”

She joined in musically with the words “To be with you my beloved Fred.” They were happy together again.

END

NOTE: I have borrowed the characters Fred, Barney and Wilma from the popular cartoon series THE FLINTSTONES.

*



.

 

July 11, 2021 05:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.