0 comments

Suspense

“This is the dumbest thing you could ever come up with,” I said in utter disbelief. I crossed my arms in deficiency. The fire crackled as if it agreed with me. Everyone was starring, wondering what would happen next. The night-air send a shiver down my spine.

“Common, Aaron, it's a dare,” Kevin said in an annoyed voice. The light of the campfire gave Kevin’s face an eerie glow. “You have to do it. The half-circle around us started a quiet chant of my name but grew in size until it was a massive roar of people yelling my name, and soon enough, Kevin joined the chant. 

  “Pick something else! Or I'm going to fail.” I begged. 

Kevin rolled his eyes. “If I pick something else, then that means your clothes will be covered with a mix of rotten eggs and maple syrup.”

“Don’t do that, these are one of my last pairs of clothes. I don’t have anything else to wear.” I lifted up one of my shoes that was torn to shreds and the sole was halfway off. One of the girls snatched it from my hand. I immediately reached for it but a bunch of people pulled me back. I shut my eyes and accepted my fate. “What’s the dare again?” my voice deflated. 

Kevin’s mischievous grin crept upon his face, and his eyes lit up. “The dare is that you have to go steal the answer sheet from Mrs. Lauryn's class for tomorrow's test.” 

  Slowly I got up and brushed the dirt off my pants. “I’ll never make it, but I’ll sure try.”And, with that, I went off into the darkness, hoping that they might forget. 

I hopped on my motorbike and went a few blocks away from the school, just far enough so that it wouldn’t be obvious that a student was trying to break in after school hours. As I got closer, I realized that, there were quite a lot of cars in the parking lot. There must be a basketball game going on. So I thought to myself as I got closer to the school. I checked the front doors, and sure enough, both were unlocked. I quietly shut the doors and snuck to the classrooms. The squeaking of basketball shoes and the occasional cheering of the crowd from the gym helped me stay quiet. But, as I got away and the sounds of the gym faded, I caught glimpses of teachers roaming the hallways. Some of them were catching people and turning them away, and some were hauling away students by their arms and taking them back to the gym. Crap, I wonder if Mrs. Lauryn is here. I decided to move more slowly and stay closer to the walls. As I got closer to the classrooms, I saw more teachers roaming like a pack of animals. I was behind a corner when all of a sudden, I felt someone tapping my shoulder; my heart dropped as if I was on a roller coaster. I whipped my head around, and Kevin was right behind me with a devious smile. 

“You almost gave me a heart attack,” I whispered loudly, trying to alert any teacher that we were here. 

“Right after you left, I decided that I had to make sure that you were getting the right papers. I don’t want to fail the test tomorrow,” He dropped his grin and replaced it with a serious look and a serious tone. “Common I think Mrs. Lauryn’s room is this way.” He went to the left and I followed. 

After a while, we came upon a large blue door. I tried the door handle. It was locked. “How are we going to get in?” I muttered. 

“I have an idea,” Kevin's eyes lit up, a sly smile formed on his face. I put his hand in his pocket digging for something. After a minute, he pulled out a bobby pin triumphantly. He pushed me aside and slid the pin into the lock. “You make sure that no teacher comes around here. I’ll work on this.” As Kevin was working the lock, all I could hear was the faint, faraway footsteps that always kept me on edge. 

As Kevin was picking the lock, doubtful thoughts danced in my mind. We’re going to get caught. I shouldn't have taken the dare. I’m such an idiot. 

CLICK. 

“ I got it,” Kevin whispered excitedly. I came over and slowly pushed the door open. CREEEK. I rapidly pulled my hand away and paused mid air hoping that no teacher heard that.  Shoes clacked in the distance. I held my breath. But, after a few seconds no one came. Kevin slithered inside and I followed after him. 

The pitch blackness deafens the room. FLICK. Kevin turns on a light switch. The slight buzz emanated from the lights above. “Let’s get those answers,” said Kevin as he walked towards the teacher’s desk. I followed trying to avoid the huge book shelf near the door and all the desks. He was crouched papers scattered all around him trying to pulling one of the drawers open but it didn’t budge at all. “It’s locked,” he muttered. “Keep an eye out. Make sure no one goes in this room.” He bent down and started to work on the lock. 

When I stepped outside the sound of shoes clacking grew louder and louder. Beads of  sweat dripped down my neck. Panicked thoughts started to flood my mind We’re going to get caught and get in massive trouble. “Someone’s coming. Hurry up.” I said. I covered my mouth I forgot to whisper. Someone was coming was rushing over here. I shut the door and turned off the lights.

“Turn the lights back on I can’t see a thing.” Hissed Kevin. 

“I can’t someone’s coming.” I snapped back. 

“I’m almost done I just need a few more seconds.” The footsteps were getting closer.

I thought about my shoe that the people held captive. “Alright I’ll turn on the lights for ten seconds will that be enough?” 

“I’ll go as fast as I can.” 

Ten. “Who’s in the room?” A voice boomed at the end of the hall.

Nine. It took me second but I reconized that it was the Mrs. Lauryn. 

Eight. “Are you almost done? Mrs. Lauryn is almost hear.” I panicked whispered. 

Five. CLICK. “Got it!” Kevin said waving papers in the air. I shut off the lights. And shoved all the desk aside trying to find a hiding spot. I dove underneath one of the desks at the back. The door slowly opened and the lights turned on. Mrs’ Lauryn walked in. Her keys jingling at her side. Her thick glasses dangled on her neck.

“I know you’re in here,” She said her voice oozing with venom. “Just step outside and you won’t be in much trouble. She walked over to her desk. I looked up for half a second and I saw Kevin right beside the book shelf just out of sight. As soon as Mrs. Lauryn put on her glasses and open one of her drawers and looked through it Kevin crawled right to the door. When he got to the door he looked right at me lifted the papers in victory and bolted to the right. Mrs. Lauryn lifted her head to see where the footsteps where coming from but went back to looking through the papers. I decided that I should cut my loses and leave to. But, As I was getting ready to run towards the door Mrs. Lauryn slammed her desk drawer. “WERE DID IT GO.” she yelled. And started to storm around the class. I quickly crawled underneath the desks tryign to get as far away as possible. Mrs. Lauryn suddenly stopped. “Maybe it’s in the scattered papers.” she muttered and went back to her desk taking off her glasses to message her eyes. I started to crawl towards the door and was just a few feet away when I accidentally bumped into a desk and. Mrs. Lauryn looked directly at me and I stood straight up and bolted out of the room. 

I ran as fast as possible into the gym luckly for me the basketball game was still going on. I tried to blend with the crowd on the bleachers as much as possible. When I finally relaxed I saw Kevin in the crowd intensely looking at the paper. I stormed towards him. “You abandoned me.” I yelled trying to make myself herd over the roar of the crowd. 

Kevin put down the papers. “Look I’m sorry there wasn’t much for me to do. Anyway if it makes you any happier you did good.” I playfully hit me with papers. “Now sit down and enjoy the game we’ll get your shoe back as soon as this game is over. I want to make sure you weren’t followed.” 

I stood up. “No,” I snapped. “I want my shoe now.” 

“Alright jeez,” Kevin rolled his eyes. “It’s still at the camp fire. Take the papers and show it to everyone else. “ He handed me the papers. I snatched them and left the school to go get my shoe.

March 12, 2022 04:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.