a lonely journey

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about a person who collects superhero comics.... view prompt

7 comments

General

pow!pow! batman punches the joker in the face . alas it's only to see that it's a dummy of the joker while the real joker had quietly escaped. to be continued.

Emily closed the book,added it to the growing pile of story books near her bed and sighed . she so desperately wanted to know what had happened next.but she had spent the week's allowance carelessly and did not have a single penny left. desperate times called for desperate measures so she hurried to her closet and pulled the small drawer attached to it she pulled a pale blue sock out of it and in that sock was her emergency stash and this was an emergency she stuffed the money in her pocket grabbed her coat and made it out of her room. she went to the kitchen where her dad was preparing dinner . she told him that she was going out and rushed to the door , where she left when her father told her to come back early for dinner as her mother doesn't have late night work today. she loudly said yes and shut the door she was pleasantly greeted by the cold winter wind. she grabbed her cycle and peddled towards the city , she passed by all familiar places like Mrs Jones pizza place, uncle carter's hair cutting salon , aria's frozen yogurt and Spencer's book store she peddled faster and faster , she couldn't wait.a huge grin automatically appeared on her face when she saw the huge comic book store , she silently grinned to herself and parked near the comic book store she climbed out of her blue bicycle and made her way towards the comic book store. and without a pause she ran towards the batman comic section. there was only one magazine left other's all were sold out , she smiled and went to grab the book , just as she touched the crisp cover of the comic she felt another hand on it she slowly raised her face which was facing the comic to see who the other person was and look who it was . the universe is probably pissed at me she thought because the person who was standing in front of her was none other than Martha Mcullens,the bully who went to her school and always managed to tease her and shove her down the hall every time she saw her and bullied Emily to give her comic books to her which were never to be returned . it was a very disappointing as she looked straight into the cruel gray eyes of Martha . it was quite a minute as not one of the two moved their hands from the last comic which was wanted by both, or as Emily would say needed by one , wanted by the other . the minute passed when Martha broke the silence by saying," move your hand or you'll be sorry ." Emily didn't friends at school , her only friend was the school librarian who occasionally baked delicious chocolate peanut butter cookies and gave them to Emily.sometimes during lunch breaks when Emily thought eating her lunch at the library was wiser than eating at the restrooms or the cafeteria . so it was always her and the librarian [ Mrs rivers ] alone in the sea of books . well back to Martha Mcullers and Emily .as Martha uttered those seven dreadful words Emily knew that she should move her hand go out of the store , climb her cycle and go back home but something emerged within Emily. it was courage , if she backed down now , she would forever have someone ruling her or telling her what to do , she couldn't lose more of her comic books and definitely she wouldn't lose this one so she didn't back up instead she made her move to pull the magazine and since Martha hadn't expected her to do so and had held the comic book lightly it easily came in Emily's grasp .Without a word Emily made her way to the cashier who was busy in his own world . Martha dumbfounded by Emily's action was numb where she stood it was like she was glued to the place her jaw opened slightly in disbelief of what Emily did , she was really really shocked because Emily Spier never stood up for herself she was the quite one who was alone all the time and didn't bother much because she was in a world of her own she couldn't get over her shock because for 7 years Emily had never stood up and this little action made Martha a little proud of Emily ,she watched as Emily walked out of the store with the book tightly in her hand and climbed her bright blue cycle and made her way home .a very shocked Martha made her way home too. on the other hand Emily couldn't believe what she had done , she could see the shock in Martha's face when she did what she did , she was proud of herself . she happily made her way way home all the while thinking about what an unexpected day it was rather than a usual and predictable day in Emily Spier's life . that night she went to bed with a happy smile on her face. the next morning she woke up to a tap on her window but when she went over to the large window to check what it was instead of a human or a bird hat she found was a huge stack of comic books that Martha had "borrowed" and never returned she was appalled by the gesture she took the bundle of books and saw a small note attached to it which just said one word that made all the difference in the world ," sorry." Emily slowly smiled to herself as she carefully stacked the pile atop of the mountain of other comics . Emily looked out the window and stared at the light blue lifeless sky as she thought of the life that was to come after today. our little comic book collector had made a change with just one gesture.

THE END

June 27, 2020 19:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Batool Hussain
05:35 Jul 21, 2020

I really enjoyed your plot, Liya! Wonderful;) Mind checking out my new story and sharing your views on it? Thanks.

Reply

Liya Mariyam
18:36 Jul 21, 2020

thank you so much and sure i would love to check your new story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rutvi Dhruva
18:03 Jul 09, 2020

Hey, I'm from the critique circle. The plot was really great and the moral came out really clear. I could literally imagine the events of your story. I really loved it! Maybe, next time you can work more on your punctuations. It would be really great for us readers to understand your story better. I know you will work on it and come up with another mind blowing piece next time! Good luck!

Reply

Liya Mariyam
08:59 Jul 10, 2020

thank you so much and yes i will look into my punctuation the next time i write a prompt . thank you again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
17:56 Jul 04, 2020

A lovely story with a lovely ending! Make sure you include capital letters at the beginning of sentences and break your writing into paragraphs. These will help your reader read your writing more easily! I really enjoyed your plot and the connection to the prompt. Well done!

Reply

Liya Mariyam
18:28 Jul 04, 2020

thank you so much . i completely forgot to do so i will do so in my next story . thank you again

Reply

Elle Clark
17:53 Jul 05, 2020

You’re welcome! If you’re interested, feel free to take a look at mine

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.