79 comments

Funny Fantasy Fiction

“So, what’s the catch?” asked Wilbur, his mouth quivering in anticipation of the answer. He fiddled with his glasses with his left hand, and his wife Enid squeezed his right hand and beamed at the nice young lady sitting across the bureau.

Karen stopped typing, looked up from her PC, and blinked a couple times. “Um,” she said, blinking again. “Well, you’ll go to Hell.”

“Uh-huh,” Wilbur said. “What’s that look like?”

“Uh,” Karen drew out, and she glanced at the script on her monitor again. “Just a sec.” A couple clicks. “There. Okay, so what it means is, when you die, your immortal soul goes to Hell for all time.”

“Yes, we know that, dearie,” said Enid. “But what’s it like?

“What? Hell?”

The elderly couple nodded.

“Um… bad? It’s Hell.” Then after a pause, and with a single dire dip of the chin, “Hell.

Wilbur nodded and Enid motioned for Karen to continue, as though she were coaxing her youngest great-granddaughter forward on her trike. Karen let out an exasperated breath and turned to her computer.

“Okay, let’s see. Says here you’ll spend all of eternity by the Lake of Fire–”

“Ooh!” said Enid.

“Did you hear that, love?” said Wilbur. “Lakeside!” They huddled together in a giggle. “It’ll be just like that time we went to Cabo, I bet!” He turned to Karen. “So what’s the rent on something like that run?”

Karen started blinking so hard she had to pinch the bridge of her nose and close her eyes. “Rent? What – there is no rent. It’s Hell!”

“O-ho!” said Wilbur, with a dentury grin. “What a steal!”

“The Conners will be so jealous,” Enid said, tittering. “And they just bought that condo, too. Now, it’s really nice, sure, and the neighbours seem like good people, but I really do think they’re overpaying. Considering the size. And the age of the plumbing. Oh, and those carpets in the hallway. I don’t want to say anything mean, but they just don’t work for me at all.”

“You know, I really like that swimming pool they have though,” said Wilbur.

“Wilber, really! When’s the last time you went swimming?”

“Well I’m sure I would do so more often if I had a pool. I tell you, I’m really looking forward to this lake thing.”

“Oh, me too!” Enid said. “Just think of all the sunsets we can watch.”

Karen snorted. “No.” She stared up at the ceiling and then clicked madly on her machine. “No, no, no. I don’t think you guys understand.” She clicked a couple more times, so hard she risked voiding her mouse’s warranty. “We’re talking about Hell.” She swiveled her monitor so that they could see it. “There are no nice sunsets. There is no beach, or swimming, or whatever. It’s just an eternity of torture.”

Wilbur and Enid leaned in and squinted at the horrific photograph depicting indescribable atrocities. Periodically Karen clicked through the slideshow to the next photo, hoping – based on her clients’ scrunched brows – that maybe they were finally understanding the gravity of the situation.

“Golly,” whispered Enid.

“I know,” said Wilbur. He cleared his throat. “Look at all those bones! And how firm they are. I bet they have great healthcare. Karen, what’s the healthcare like?”

What?

“I mean, if we’re there for eternity,” Enid said, “seems like they’d probably have pretty good healthcare.” Wilbur nodded. “Especially for us older folks.”

“There’s no healthcare!” Karen snapped. “You’ll be dead! You won’t need healthcare!” She let out a white-knuckled growl, her exasperation petering out to a flaccid whimper. “I need you to understand the gravity of this: you’ll go to Hell. This is an eternity of torture. That means: for ever.”

“Well,” Wilbur drew out.

“Forever!” She stabbed her monitor with her finger. “This, this right here. This horrible little machine. You see how the people are screaming? This will be you. It’s torture, unending.”

The elderly coupled leaned in again, and then shared a look.

“Well, dearie,” said Enid, “that doesn’t look so bad.”

Karen’s eyes widened, and she snapped from the screen to Enid, shivering with incomprehension. “How is it not bad? Do you see what’s happening to his legs? And the ears! Oh lord, the ears! The body does not spiral that way!”

“Oh, sure, it looks bad now, but… forever is a long time.”

“I don’t understand how you don’t find the prospect of this, forever, unsettling.”

“The thing is,” said Wilbur, wrapping his wife in a side hug, “with time, people can get used to pretty much anything. It’s like if you go to the bathroom at the game. Sure, it’s gross, and it reeks, and there’s all kinds of colourful bodily fluids everywhere. But if you stay there long enough, you kind of stop noticing the smell.”

“Yeah, take it from us, dearie. I mean, after nearly seventy years of marriage to this one–” Enid made an exaggerated thumb towards Wilbur, and he chortled “–I think we can weather a bit of poking and prodding.”

Karen shotgunned through her desk drawers, found a bottle of antacids, and took a swig. She closed her eyes as she chewed, going through some half-remembered breathing exercises. She tried to visualize a serene stream in the woods, and when she couldn’t, she tried to picture the breakroom instead. It reeked of microwaved fish even in her mind’s eye, and the floor was sticky, but all that was fine. At least it was a kind of calming oasis.

“You all right?” asked Wilbur.

When Karen’s eyes snapped open she found the world’s colours had shifted. “Why?” she asked. “Maybe this isn’t the best course of action for you. You seem like nice people. Why do you want to sell your souls?”

The couple glanced at each other. “We had a coupon,” said Enid. She dug around in her purse. “Well, somewhere here anyway.”

Coupon? Karen mouthed, not daring to breathe it.

“Besides,” said Wilbur, “what do a couple of old farts like us need them for anyway? Figured we’d get something for them and help our kids out. Watch the grandkids actually enjoy their inheritance, that kind of thing. Like a reverse mortgage.”

He squeezed Enid’s hand.

“Say now,” he said, “you don’t really seem to enjoy your work.”

“Nope. I ruin afterlives and my boss is literally The Devil™.”

“So why do it?” asked Enid.

A tremor rippled through Karen’s shoulders. Then another. Then she hiccoughed and buried a soggy wail in her hands. “What else can I do?” She sobbed. “Where else can I go?” Her breath hitched. “Nobody’s hiring, and the world’s going to crap, and everyone’s angry all the time, and, and, and–” Shuddering whimpers overtook her.

Enid patted her arm. “There, there, now dearie.” When Karen blinked away the wet, Enid passed her a tissue.

“Thanks.”

“Listen,” said Wilbur, “it’s just a job. I know it probably seems overwhelming now, but take it from us: there’s so much more to life. It might not seem like it right now, but like the old saying goes, it always gets worse before it gets worse.”

Karen flinched. “How’s that reassuring?”

“Well, then you have something fond to look back on. Your own Good Old Days when Things Used To Be Better. After all, at the end of the day we’re just memories, aren’t we?”

“I… suppose,” said Karen. She blinked away the last of her tears, still uncertain.

“Found it!” said Enid, proudly drawing her coupon from her purse and holding it high. Then she squinted at it. “Oh, shoot. It’s expired.”

Wilbur and Enid shrugged, got up, and took their leave.

March 08, 2023 00:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

79 comments

Suma Jayachandar
13:11 Mar 09, 2023

Michal, This seems to be the prompt all the witty ones picked up this week😂 And with a fantasy tag it’s a hoot. It’s frustratingly funny that Karen has to stoke up enough images of fire by lakeside and elsewhere to make Enid and Wilbur understand the implication of their choice if they were to follow through. It has a tender moment when the old couple reveal their reason though. I’m glad the coupon had expired. An interesting read😊

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:01 Mar 09, 2023

Ha, thanks Suma :) "Frustratingly funny" - love it. Good description for many communication issues. Having done sales and support before, it's crucial for the customer to understand what's going on, but wow, it can certainly be hard to convey it sometimes :) Of course, communication goes both ways. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
09:52 Mar 09, 2023

So, I wrote a "sell your soul to the devil" tale. As did Murray Burns. And now...you! Fucking incredible. LOL The way you captured the ethos of old people (I, among them) was great, but the way you portrayed the frustrated receptionist was nothing short of brilliant. Everything about this story had a comic/tragic duality to it that just sparkled. Just a wonderful take on the prompt, delivered in your usual stellar way. Nicely done, my friend. Nicely done indeed.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:58 Mar 09, 2023

Ha! Great minds! Or devious minds? I like the interplay between generations - and you've played with this too, with Pygmalion. I suppose any kind of asymmetry between characters can lead to fun interactions though. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Delbert :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
02:36 Mar 09, 2023

Michał, this was enchanting. :) (Bedeviling? Well, certainly if you consider how frustrated Karen was during her spiel! :) I loved that she took her (hated) job seriously enough that she was determined that the old people understand before signing on the line... the chin dip and *"Hell."* really drove it home hilariously, then of course the added wading-through thereafter. Just brilliant and so much fun! :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:32 Mar 09, 2023

Bedeviling :D Yeah, Karen probably figured, if she's showing up she might as well put the effort in - or at least keep a potential customer from making a mistake. Maybe there are strict licencing requirements for soul underwriting :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
22:53 Mar 08, 2023

Michał, my first reaction is they are old people who need someone else to talk to instead of just each other. Then I thought, what a grocery list of a story that was a hair-raiser and knuckle-biter for Karen that came off as anything but a grocery list! Well done showing her developing emotions and unravelling when her mind cannot reconcile what the couple keeps positively saying about hell. Another excellent job. If you remove Karen's comments, the old people's comments almost tell their story. If someone else were to fill in answers to W...

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:24 Mar 09, 2023

Thanks, Lily! Yeah, when people don't seem to get what we mean, or how serious something is, it can drive us nuts. But who knows, maybe they just know something we don't. You know, removing half the dialogue and still having a coherent story is a brilliant idea, and now I'm wondering if we could do something with that. Like an alternate take on the recent story-within-a-story prompt. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Lily Finch
02:48 Mar 09, 2023

For sure. LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Naomi Onyeanakwe
15:51 Mar 08, 2023

Loved this! Your stories are always so fun to read.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:53 Mar 08, 2023

Thank you, Naomi :) Very happy to hear that :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
14:20 Mar 08, 2023

This is a hoot. Opening line is made extra engaging by revealing what the catch is right off: Hell. The couple is completely charming with the optimism, or - in the end- pragmatism that is brought on by old age. The calm acceptance of the difficulties of life that some older people adopt, and that I think many younger people take to be cluelessness, is actually the survival strategy Wilbur articulates. It's interesting to see it in this setting. It does seem to conflict with their optimistic take on the possibilities of Hell when they are...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:55 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks Laurel! Pragmatism, calm acceptance of the difficulties of life, survival strategy - yup! I think that's exactly it :) A lot of things can be horribly overwhelming, but experience can do wonders to mitigate that, can't it? We can learn from others' experiences, but it's still not quite the same as having our own. Is that why we fail to learn from history? We know the lessons intellectually, but we don't feel them viscerally - until we do, because we went through them ourselves. I'm glad the end was a fun conclusion. I think Karen ...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
13:05 Mar 09, 2023

Isn't it interesting how the arc of the human race is to continuously be children growing, with little cumulative growth over time? You can see it in kids' eyes when they shut down when their elders are trying to warn or caution, as if we are programmed to resist counsel that prevents us from making the mistakes we need to learn. Just fun to think about.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:59 Mar 09, 2023

"continuously be children growing, with little cumulative growth over time" - yup! But maybe it actually is a feature and not a bug. We learn a lot of lessons to avoid danger, but danger changes over time. Perhaps this, um… insolence? Independence anyway - perhaps it's what collectively allows us to abandon ideas that no longer serve us. Obviously, with no shortage of intergenerational friction :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:42 Mar 08, 2023

Dentury… I’m liking it, a made up word that so totally describes the expression. As my daughter, (who did two semesters of linguistics at uni and is now an ‘expert’) says, all words are made up! A fun and creative story. This line kind of sums it up. -with time, people can get used to pretty much anything. The old couple have a pretty unique take on life, having lived through so much, they have learned that time is the great equaliser. What seems bad now will look so much better when you look back and realise that what was unendurable is n...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:00 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! Making up words is half the fun :) One day I hope to get some new ones into the dictionaries. I think you got exactly what I was going for. It's easy for us to get stuck in our current situations. Someone else's POV might help us gain perspective - though we are pretty resistant to learning from others, aren't we? Interactions between different generations is a fun way of exploring this. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
01:35 Mar 08, 2023

Very creative, Michal! Enjoyed this very much. The acceptance of and ambivalence to eternal torture that the characters show really works well comedically, but also almost makes sense. And the rather emotional turn the story takes in the end works well as a statement on the desperation of the global workforce. I did find it interesting that the worker who was supposed to literally be playing the "Devil's advocate" really wasn't advocating for him at all... Karen was, instead, a reasonably relatable trapped-by-her-work character. I was pleas...

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:19 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks, Nathaniel :) I do suspect that given enough time, we probably could get used to just about anything. Heck, probably even learn to enjoy it, and then grow bored of it. Of course what exactly "enough time" means is undefined. "Am a bit confused on how exactly that's possible... seems like the devil would have some "control" over Karen or something, right?" That's a good point. I imagined, if you're actually working this job, one of the "perks" is that you probably don't want to be there, and your boss is happy when you're miserable. ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth D.
16:36 Sep 15, 2023

This story is hilarious!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:07 Sep 16, 2023

Thanks! It was a fun one to write :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth D.
14:44 May 05, 2023

This story is hilarious! I love how Wilbur and Enid just don't get that this is not a vacation. "Retirement Planning" is so far my favorite book, alongside "A Bride in the Hand is Worth Two in the Books" and "Blood of the Wolf"

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:40 May 05, 2023

Thanks, Emma! They were a fun couple to write :) Though I also enjoyed poor, frustrated Karen's side of this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
G I A B A S R A
22:23 Mar 20, 2023

This was funny XD

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:34 Mar 20, 2023

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anne Wilkins
21:55 Mar 18, 2023

Love this! Amazing characterisation, with spot on details. Love the coupon (that is so old person) and the way they frustratingly don't seem to "get things." Well done!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:35 Mar 20, 2023

Thanks Anne! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) They were fun characters to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:48 Mar 16, 2023

YES ON THIS -- delightful from the first zinger: “Well, you’ll go to Hell.” And of course it's Karen who is a soul-seller. Of course she is. The wit on display here is first rate Monty Pythonesque: “Yeah, take it from us, dearie. I mean, after nearly seventy years of marriage to this one–” Enid made an exaggerated thumb towards Wilbur, and he chortled “–I think we can weather a bit of poking and prodding.” I would love to hear this piece read out loud...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Mar 16, 2023

Thanks, Deidra :) I think Karen's doing her best to be bad at her job, and I guess because her job is bad, that's good? I dunno, it's confusing, as life is :) Thanks for dropping by! I'm glad it was enjoyable :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alberto P.
10:57 Mar 15, 2023

Hi Michał, This was a very enjoyable read. Well written. The perspective of Wilbur and Enid about the one way trip to the Lake of Fire is... Refreshing. It sure makes eternal damnation sound better than I thought previously. Keep it up! Cheers, Alberto

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:03 Mar 15, 2023

Thanks, Alberto! It's all about perspective :) Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim Firth
10:12 Mar 15, 2023

Wow, what a super tight, fluent and funny story! On a technical level, I especially love all of the action beats. Karen's in particular. 'A single dire dip of the chin' and 'buried a soggy wail in her hands'. These are super evocative and original. You've probably guessed it by now, but your funny stories are my faves :-)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:10 Mar 15, 2023

Thanks, Jim! I'm glad those actions came across well. I think I'm sometimes sparse with actions, so there was a mindful effort for them in this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
20:01 Mar 14, 2023

Hey Michal, This story was incredibly interesting. I really enjoyed the way that you portrayed these characters and the choice of the name Karen was fantastic. The store was definitely one where I felt like I had to reread it and kind of muse on it before I could give a good comment. It was the perfect blend of funny and satirical. Also asking some bigger questions about life and death itself. I thought that you did a great job of honoring all of these characters point of views-the couple just wants to make sure that they get the best deal a...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:28 Mar 14, 2023

Thanks, Amanda! Ha, a vacation for her would be an awesome idea :) Although, I doubt her employer offers a lot of benefits. I'm glad you enjoyed the story! Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
3i Writer
10:02 Mar 14, 2023

Being the devil's employee, Karen is definitely not good at her job. Normally she won't give a damn. I suppose she did run through a list of good deeds the old couples have done that is more than enough to earn a ticket to heaven and thus considering their choice to be a total waste. By the way, what is the coupon about?

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 Mar 14, 2023

Thanks for reading! I think Karen just hates her job, mostly :) The coupon is undefined, but Mike Panasitti suggested something like "3 souls for the price of 2", which is a good idea. But is it really a good deal if you don’t need it? I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

3i Writer
23:31 Mar 14, 2023

3 souls for the price of 2? That's not what a coupon suppose to be. That's a rip off!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:47 Mar 14, 2023

Hi Michal - Great writing, loved the old couple's attitude, and I thought the husband was a hoot! Originality at it's finest.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:43 Mar 14, 2023

Thanks, Sharon! Yeah, I think they had a pretty good attitude towards things :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
00:06 Mar 14, 2023

this story was great. I honestly really liked it. the end gave me a good laugh. 'Oh, shoot. it's expired.' :D hopefully Wilbur and Enid didn't go to hell in the end. :|

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:46 Mar 14, 2023

Thanks, Lilah! I like to imagine they ended up buying a condo like the Connors did instead :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:38 Mar 13, 2023

:D funny story. Unfortunately the devil's coupon for your soul has no expiration date and he will keep trying new ways to get you, anyway. So be prepared. Find The Way.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:31 Mar 13, 2023

Thanks, Mary! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.