Seeing circles

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Sad

Unable to see Bobby Bron went around town searching for something that h could feel his presence with. Up until today, he had felt that he was a mere floating body drifting between sidewalks. It was strange because he could feel other people's presence but he couldn't feel his own. He remained an anonymous enigma. And though his thoughts flowed through his brain, making their way through the different lines within his brain. They just seemed like a mere substitute for a fake attachment to this world. For what was the point of thoughts when you couldn't see what caused you to produce them. Were his thoughts merely just the pulse of blood appearing throughout his brain and washing through him over and over again. If that was the case then he didn't want any more of it, the view of blood consumed him with more thoughts of worry. If that was interconnected then that just made him even more averse to thinking about it. Today, Bobby hadn't left his room to go search town. His heart was downtrodden, sinking further into the depths of his legs. A soft ringing pulsed at the side of his head. He knew he should get up, but a big part of him wanted to stay connected to the cushion that he was in. The ringing played again, his arm flung to the right and he pressed the mysterious box that had been making that noise. Bobby moved through the door and shuffled down the stairs. There was usually a natural inclination, but today there was no time for that. Bobby wanted to move throughout the day quickly, and he felt that there would be no time for such duties. He was inclined and motivated to find what he had never had. Other tasks, as mentioned before had to be disregarded. With each step, a noise echoed into his ears. The noise reverberated through the tunnel, it was almost as if it were a hollow tree breathing that matched with his footsteps. He began to breathe heavily, the sound of his breath also happened to match with the hollow sound of his footsteps. A honk came next to him and though he couldn't see which object the honk belonged to, he was relatively startled. He bounced forward and turned to the noise. A soft whisper played in his ears, waving back and forth. A soft utter came through his ears. A man said: Eyes. Eyes. If only to see. The man walking breathed in. He started to walk again. But the sound of the cart shuffled behind him. The voice of the man continued. See, I see what you see what we see. What we all see is... Bobby halted and the cart stopped right behind him. He turned around and though he could not view the man his voice became very firm. A stick began to rise from his throat, like the thickness of concrete his voice spilled out onto the ground being delivered in a tight package to the man in front of him. "Why are you telling me this?". The man hoarsely replied "so you can see of course. Haven't you wanted to.". Bobby took a deep breath. The man was right of course, he had been trying to see, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to see from this man. "What would that entail?" the old man chuckled "oh nothing too bad.". Bobby took a step back knowing that wasn't a good response. Nothing too bad still indicated a hint of bad. Despite his thoughts, Bobby found himself taking a step closer to the man in front of him. The man clasped his hand around Bobby, and though Bobby couldn't see the face of this man he had already known that what held behind the black mysteriousness of this man were deep crevices engrained with blues and whites of a coarse lifetime. Scary to the brim. Bobby shuddered. "It is experience my lad". The man prayed on him, "experience that you will never have. The question automatically popped up in Bobby's mind "is that a bad thing??". Supposedly not, he is still a human being with other potential experiences. Bobby's blood began to flow through the strings of wire on his brain. He took a step back from the man and then recomposed himself. He filled his chest with air and allowed all his worries to release. Bobby took a step towards the man once again. His hand began to shake as he reached his palm out to him. For some strange reason, he felt almost a natural inclination to do such a thing. The cart inched towards him, as did the old man. Suddenly again Bobby felt a fear jolt through his heart He took yet another step back and he began to turn around. The feeling that this man had given him was not one he wanted to entertain. He continued walking through the streets, or wherever he was really. He had no idea. His body had just become accustomed to turning itself in the same direction and eventually after repeating himself a certain amount of times he made it home in the way that he should. His body turned right, left, right, straight, and again with another turn. He was about to turn right when suddenly he hit a wall. He looked around unsure of where to go. For he couldn't see so looking didn't help, but no matter where his body turned the walls surrounded him. The man in the cart's sound could be heard above Bobby. Bobby looked up as the man whispered 'above'. Bobby began to cry out "Sir..please sir" he began to gasp for breath "sir I need your help". The man laughed and the sound of his laughter moved the wind above him. He cleared his throat and came to the ground. The man touched Bobby on his shoulder and told him to his face that he knew that he was needed. "I don't need you" Bobby spat back. "ahh yes. maybe, but you do need eyes, no? Eyes to get out?". "Why can't you just help me?" Bobby asked. 'Because that's not how it works' the man replied. "I have eyes, you don't... it's that simple". "I just want to get out of here!" Bobby cried. The man chuckled, "we are all trying to escape something son". There was a soft pause. "So," the man said as he clasped his hand on Bobby's shoulder. "Would you like some eyes?". Bobby sighed, he was on the verge of giving up. For it seemed like there was no other way to get out other than this one. Besides, he had wanted eyes. Bobby sighed and nodded. The man chuckled, rather nervously. "Great" he replied. He grabbed Bobby's hands and opened them. He slapped them twice and without warning slit Bobby's face. Blood began to drip, but strangely enough, Bobby couldn't feel it. Two eyes popped into bobby's socket and for a moment the only thing surrounding him was a blur. He blinked a few times and stepped back. The only thing that he could see was a version of himself surrounded by darkness. He reached towards the interesting panels in order to find a way to get out. He turned around and saw the old man behind him, eyeless. Bobby stepped back "I thought" he cleared his throat, "I thought that you said I would get out of here". Bobby swallowed as the old man started to chuckle. "I said you would get eyes" the old man smiled and Bobby sunk into the corner of panels he was surrounded by. The only thing being with him was himself and the man. He observed his fingers and realized that though he could see, he could no longer feel the blood coursing through the wires of his brain, and he missed that.

July 05, 2021 16:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.