He showed up at the door on a rainy Saturday

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

1 comment

Crime Drama Horror

It’s a rainy Saturday: dark, gloomy, and miserable. The TV is on, and I’m watching a Charlie Chaplin episode. Its warm glow basks me in blue light, making me feel a bit less alone. The blanket snuggles me, and a bowl of chips compensates my stomach. 

A knock at the door startles me. It echoes throughout the house, spreading its message. It’s rough-three hard knocks. I turn the TV off, and make my way to the front door. Who would be at the door in the wee hours of the night? 

I creep to the door, my blanket clutched around my chest. My moving boxes are astray in the hallway, still not sorted out. I weave my way through them, shoving them aside as I reach the door. There’s no windows near the door to look outside. Nor is there a peephole. I feel blind. 

As I’m debating what to do, there are three more knocks. Loud and clear. 

After giving myself a few more moments, I decide to open the door. At first, I only see darkness and rain. However, a figure takes shape. It’s a tall man, and he towers above me. I want to close the door, but I’m too scared to. The streetlights cast dark shadows across his face, hiding a sinister smile. His eyes are piercing blue, and they look deep into my thoughts. 

He simply stands still in front of me, just like a lion about to catch its prey. 

Am I the prey?

Who is this man? As I ponder that question, he gently waves his hand in front of me. It’s pale and gentle, and I slowly close my eyes.

-------------------------------

The tall stranger pushes past me, making me stumble. 

“Who are you?” I question, mustering some courage. 

“Nobody,” a gruff voice says back. 

He heads into my home, and I tug at his long cloak. It’s blue and is coated with velvet and small jewels. He simply strides forward, ripping it out of my grasp. The dim lights make the stones on the cloak sparkle, just like stars. They look magical, and I run to catch up. 

He makes his way upstairs, and pulls down the ladder to the attic. The stairs creak under his weight, and he ducks to head to the room. 

Unsure, I decide to follow with only a moment's hesitation. I gasp, astonished, when I reach the landing. The room is bathed in a golden light, all radiating from the stranger. His cloak flies behind him, lifted by an unseen force. Blue and golden particles begin to float around, instifying into an orb a few feet before the wizard. Then he starts chanting in a language I can’t understand, and suddenly, the orb explodes, leaving me blinded.

-------------------------------

“May I come in?” the stranger asks. 

“Su-re,” I stutter as a reply. 

“Thank you, Ma’am. If we have your cooperation, this ordeal can be completed without much time and trouble. 

“What ordeal?”

“Ma’am, please do not act like nothing is wrong. We have received a tip-off that there is some criminal cyber-activity originating from this location. To relieve you of all stress, my team is waiting outside, ready for my call.”

“What?”

He says nothing, and keeps on walking, ignoring me. He makes his way into each room, gracefully and purposefully taking objects out and checking every corner. My heart is pounding, even though I know I have done nothing wrong. 

He eventually makes his way to my room, where he stops in his tracks. I rush forward, trying to see what’s wrong. I bat his arm aside, and stop in my tracks too. My room is a large computer setup, with multiple screens and some suspicious activity. I’m confused. This was never here. I turn back to look at the agent. 

His stone cold eyes meet mine.

“You are under arrest.”

-------------------------------

The stranger quickly rushes in and closes the door behind him. 

“Please. I need help.” 

The door rattles, and thumps. I can hear the roar of people, banging against the woof frame. 

“Please. I need help,” the man says again. 

His face is bloody and bruised, as if he had been in a fight. But with this many people?

“What can I get you?”

“Ice. And some first aid, if you could.” 

I don’t hesitate, and this man’s polite words make me want to help him even more. I hurry to help him.

“What happened?”

“It’s...hard to explain.”

“Do you want to rest?”

“Yes, please.”

I lead him upstairs, and the stairs creak under his bulky frame. I guide him to the spare bedroom, which only has a mattress, but no bed. He mutters a small thanks, and collapses onto the bed with his eyes open.I make my way downstairs, trying to see why all these people are after this innocent man. The problem is, I can’t see anything. I sigh. With nothing else to do, I make my way upstairs. I freeze, however, when the sound of metal scraping against metal fills the air. I grimace, the horrible sound hurting my ears. 

I peer over the banister to see the stranger, standing against the wall, sharpening his… knives. They are stained with blood, and it still looks fresh. Who is this man? 

He notices me, and beckons me closer, holding the knife out menacingly. 

Crying out, I rush downstairs, fumbling to open the door. 

-------------------------------

The stranger pulls me into a bear hug, embracing me. 

“My dear, are you alright? Took you forever to open the door!”

“Da-d?” 

He lets go for a moment to look at me, with a large smile on his face. 

He leads me inside, and I hug him tight.

“Charlie Chaplin, eh? I used to watch him quite a lot!”

“Well, want to join me?”

“Sure!”

However, as I enjoy the episode with my dad, I can’t shake the feeling off; something is wrong.

I manage to lose myself with my dad, until...there’s three knocks at the door. It echoes throughout the house, spreading its message. It’s rough-three hard knocks. Again.

June 05, 2021 03:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

STUPOD X 2
02:23 Jul 01, 2021

great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.