8 comments

Fiction Happy Romance


The sharp cold air crept up his tired body as he pushed the snowblower slowly back and forth over the long driveway. The old Basset hound barked furiously at the snow spewing from the chute forming a towering pile. Charlie was glad the storm had stopped long enough for him to tackle the white layers.

“Damn dog, damn snow.” he muttered. 

When had snow and winter become such a nuisance? He wondered.


He spotted the well- used Flexible Flyer standing in the corner of the cluttered garage.

Sweet memories came flooding back…

The Christmas in 1980 when the sled adorned with a big red bow was positioned under the tree so it would be the first present seen by the children.

The look of delight on the boys' faces as they hurried down the stairs at first light. How they ran straight for the sled. And how they eagerly took turns sitting on the sled reins in hand while the camera snapped photos. He could almost hear the boy’s laughter as they zipped down the icy hill behind the house. “ Wheeee, wheee, whee!”


In the warm kitchen, his wife, Dotty had a large steamy mug of hot chocolate waiting. Tiny soft marshmallows plopped on top, just the way he liked it. 

As she stooped to help him remove his snow-covered boots, he kissed the top of her graying head. 


Theirs had been a good marriage, a long marriage of over forty years. 

The children and grandchildren don’t visit as much as they used to. Each with their jobs, friends, various other interests and the miles that keep them apart.


“ What’s wrong, Charlie?” she asked as she joined him at the table.


“Nothing really. Do you remember the year the boys got the flexible flyer for Christmas?”


“Oh, yes they prayed for snow every night for a week. Then that Nor’ easter was predicted to drop six to eight inches overnight. We didn’t think they would ever fall asleep. They kept getting out of bed to look out the window. Sammy slept with his snowsuit and the sled next to his bed.”


“They were up early that morning with the sun. They were dressed in their snowsuits anxious to hit the hill. They were on that hill for hours. Up and down, up and down till they fell exhaustedly into their beds.” Charlie said. 


“Those boys drank enough hot chocolate that winter to fill a fifty gallon fish tank. Not to mention the bags of mini marshmallows.” Dotty said laughing. The pile of wet snowsuits, gloves, socks and hats at the back door was never ending. 


Both became silent. Each deep in their own thoughts.


Snow and winter had always been a happy part of their lives. They were married in late February with a light snow falling outside the small church. They honeymooned in a cabin in the mountains of Virginia where snow fell gently everyday. There were snowy walks, snowmen built, snowballs thrown, sledding and hot chocolate sipped by the fire.


The winter Dotty was pregnant with their first child, they returned to the cabin for a long holiday weekend. The snow swirled silently leaving a blanket of white all around them. Though cautioned by her mother-in-law, Dotty couldn’t resist and sat on a sled behind Charlie. “Wheee, whee, whee!” Dotty and Charlie cried out as they sailed down the smooth white path. They returned to the cabin with red noses and smiles on their faces. It was no wonder, their first born loved the snow as much as they both had.


Dotty moved leisurely to the sink to rinse their empty mugs. Charlie sighed and opened his computer to finish a game of solitaire. The morning quietly passed each keeping busy with their own tasks. 


 Preparing lunch, Dotty thought she heard Charlie whistling. Was that Jingle Bells he was whistling? It wasn’t December anymore.


Charlie headed into the garage. Reaching for the flexible flyer with his gloved hands he smiled. It didn’t look too bad for its age. It could use a little sanding on the rough wood edges where the puppy had chewed. The puppy, now twelve years old lay at his feet on the cold concrete floor. The metal runners could use a shine and wax. Maybe restring the steering rope. Nothing he couldn’t fix. 


“Lunch” Dotty called from the kitchen. Over lunch they talked about the books they were reading, what they would have for dinner and where to go for summer vacation.

Their oldest wanted them to come to North Carolina and their youngest wanted them to visit Maine with them. 


Overnight a light sleet had left the snow glistening with a coat of thin ice. Perfect conditions, Charlie thought as he stepped away from the back window. He disappeared after breakfast. Dotty cleared the breakfast dishes and then sat down to work on the granny square blanket she was crocheting.


Just before lunch, Charlie burst into the living room. He was smiling like a Cheshire cat. 

“Dotty, put on your warmest clothes and meet me out back.” Charlie said enthusiastically. 


“Ok, what’s going on?” Dotty asked


“ Just meet out back and you’ll see.”


Dotty hurriedly dressed in thermals and thick outerwear. She wondered what Charlie had been up too. 


See immediately caught sight of the old flexible flyer leaning against the aged oak tree.

But what she couldn’t take her eyes away from was Charlie’s face. Dotty wasn’t sure which was brighter his smile or the sunlight sparkling on the snow.


“ May I have this ride?” He asked extending his gloved hand.


At the top of the mound, Charlie held the sled steady for Dotty. Climbing on she took hold of the steering rope.


“ You’re going to let me drive?” She chuckled.


Charlie mounted the sled and with his arms tightly around Dotty’s waist he gave the snow a push with his heavy boots.


“ Wheee, whee, whee!”, they both shouted as the sled gained momentum on the icy slope. 


At the foot of the hill, there was unrestrained laughter from both of them.


“Want to go again?" Charlie asked grinning like a child.


“ Yes, oh yes.” Dotty answered quickly. 


Holding hands they began the steep climb back to the top of the snow-covered hill pulling the sled behind them.



January 19, 2021 14:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Jocelyn Fryer
21:46 Jan 28, 2021

A charming story indeed. You have a natural cadence when it comes to writing, encapsulating these smaller tender moments even in old age, with a puppy now in its later years too... I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. Keep it up!

Reply

D. Owen
12:10 Jan 29, 2021

I agree memories get sweeter with age. Thank you for your encouraging words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Trucco
10:36 Jan 25, 2021

I loved the progression of your story - how the memories showed all the times they had fun in the snow and you just *knew* they would get on a sled at the end. Heart-warming! One quick grammatical thing. I think you meant boys' rather than boy's at the beginning? Looking forward to reading more of your stories!

Reply

D Owen
10:45 Jan 25, 2021

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks for catching the error.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Sadie
19:41 Jan 24, 2021

I like your story! It features some of the things that you guys do. It made me smile as I pictured Dotty and Charlie on the sled together. The language was very vivid!

Reply

D Owen
21:10 Jan 24, 2021

Thank you. I did draw from my own experiences with my husband for the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jackie Palm
16:07 Jan 24, 2021

This is such a beautiful story story! I loved it! I love that it highlights finding the little things that bring joy even as we get older and lost in the hustle sometimes!

Reply

D Owen
16:26 Jan 24, 2021

Thank you, I appreciate your kind comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.