0 comments

Coming of Age Fiction

“Here’s Remy, my pet axolotl,” said Andrew, gesturing towards the man to walk up to me.

He blinked twice at Andrew in confusion. “Aksa- what?”

Maybe he’s got a hearing problem.

“Ak-sa-loh-til.” Andrew replied slowly, sure to enunciate each syllable.

The stranger shrugged and leaned over in my direction. His face was foreign to me: his skin was pale, and his brown hair matched the color in his eyes. He looked nothing like Andrew. He bent down, taking a moment to examine me before the corners of his mouth pulled upward. A small indentation formed on his left cheek as his expression welcomed a smile. His face must have had a problem too.

“He’s smiling. What does he feed on?” the man said to Andrew.

“Oh, you know, different types of worms, shrimps, small fishes… Here, lemme show you.”

On a shelf to the wall to Andrew’s right was a tin can and a pair of tweezers. Standing on his toes with one hand in the air, he reached towards it. He then took the tweezers and dipped them into the tin. I knew what this meant, so I scooted myself closer. When Andrew’s hand emerged, the tweezers he held had trapped a delicious, struggling wriggler. Now if that isn’t a glorious feast for the eyes.

Andrew’s friend – I don’t know his name – moved out of the way.

“Here you go Remy, snack time.”

He bent down, moving the tweezers closer to me. I dashed toward it in excitement, the wriggler trying to break free from its imprisonment, and in one swoop I swallowed it whole. Andrew stood up and praised me for it.

“Good boy Remy.”

I looked back at him. Now that was a face I was used to; a slender nose and a pair of bright green eyes, all below a scalp clouded with thick black curls. I hope he knows that I’m thankful for him.

“How long have you had Remy for?” asked the man, he was the same height as Andrew.

“I’ve had him for a year and a half, his grown pretty big since then.”

I don’t remember that Andrew, pacing around as I tried to recall what he just said.

Hey little guy, I’m Andrew, and this is your new home.

I turned to them, as a beeping sound arose from nowhere, Andrew pulled something out of his pocket, “Melissa just texted me asking us to hurry up.”

Andrew moved, the man following suit, it seems they’re going to the room where Andrew sleeps. ‘Your name is Remy,’ I remember him saying that. I looked to the side; the lights were on in Andrew’s room. I moved, trying to get a closer look. Attempting to find out what’s all this commotion, I reached towards the cave where I sleep in.

“I found it!” Andrew’s voice resonant in my ears. The man was first to appear through the door, followed by Andrew.

The stranger with a look of annoyance spoke, “We drove all the way back here to get your charger?”

“Yeah man,” Andrew replied, “I also forgot my wallet, my ATM card is in there and I’m short on cash.”

I remember my birthday, Andrew was there, he had a pointy hat on his head.

“I’m gonna drink water first before we head back out, it’s freaking freezing outside,” the man said walking towards the kitchen.

Happy Birthday Remy.’ Andrew said holding a tiny round object, that’s flat on the bottom, in his hands; it had a flickering orange light on top of a pinkish purple cylinder that is slowly melting under the heat of the light, placed on top of a brown mushy substance that swirls around to the base. The bottom of this object, which appears to be the most solid out of the three, was black as Andrew’s hair. ‘Make a wish Remy,’ he said to me in a hush tone.

A thousand sounds in minute sequences came from the kitchen.

“Crap!” the man yelled out.

Andrew quickly went into the kitchen, “What did you do?”

The sound of exasperation was evident in Andrew’s voice. A grumbling noise came out of him, I wonder what happened over there, from where I was, I couldn’t see much.

“Sorry man, the cup slipped through my hand.” the man apologizing.

“Ugh, Jesus Christ Mark, go get the broom and dustpan from that door over there and let’s clean up this mess.” Andrew spoke in an authoritative manner.

Mark, that was the name of the stranger with Andrew, what a funny name – Mark. Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark, I now see Mark holding the broom and dustpan going back to the kitchen. Moving around my home, I passed by the garden, the stocky stems of the plants have grown to tallish heights. I went inside my cave, dark and as cold as the outside, I laid down for a bit resting from the snack that I ate. The rustling sound of the broom was still audible in here.

“There, all done.” Mark spoke.

“Let’s get outta here, before Melissa starts to worry where the hell are we.” Andrew replied.

I went out the cave, in time to see Andrew walking out the kitchen, trailing behind him was Mark.

“Bye Remy.” Andrew said as he flicked a switch. Opening the front door, stepping outside with Mark.

The lights of the room turned off leaving me in the dark. In this darkness, I still find ways to navigate myself. Sometimes I exercise, doing laps around the garden, in occasion I do some meditation, I lay down on the ground and stretch myself reveling in the cold temperature of my home. This was the usual routine between me and Andrew, I would get to see him in the morning and at the evening. There would be times where he would stay here with me for the entire day and there would be times where I don’t see him at all.

As I laid inside my cave, one normal day, the creaking sound of the door came to my ears, signaling to me that it swung open.

“Hey Remy,” Andrew said, “I got you some special treats.”

In his hand was a white bag filled with unknown contents. I wonder what kind of special treats he has in store for me. I flounce around in excitement, impatiently waiting for the surprise. Reaching in, he pulled out a clear oblong encasement, in it, there were tiny little crescent critters with many legs crawling about inside it. My heart almost stopped at the sight, as I wonder if we’re celebrating, the last time Andrew brought these home was… I don’t know.

He bent down, using his fingers he opened up the encasement, losing its oblong shape, the rain of crescent critters began. I tried to catch them all, mouth wide open, ultimately failing in my plan. There was so much, they went pass by me, circling around the garden, some of them going into my cave. Turning around to show gratitude to Andrew, a familiar face now slightly different, I recognize his bright green eyes, but his mop of hair has now extended down to the sides of his face all the way down to his chin. His mouth still visible even though his hair encircled around it. Is Andrew undergoing metamorphosis? Is this how humans show they age, by lengthening their hairs? He gave a flashing smile, showing off the pearly white teeth that resided inside his mouth.

“Enjoy your meal Remy.” He spoke.

I couldn’t finish all those crescent critters all at once, so I leave them here with me to chill inside my humble abode. Going back inside my cave, I find a couple of the tiny critters hiding in here, I pushed them out. The stillness and coolness of my surrounding was dozing me into rest, I tried to relax more to ensure that sleep engulfs my entire body. The external sounds beyond my home don’t bother me when I’m in a state of slumber, it flies into my ears, my brain registering the sounds enough to distinguish but not adequate enough to elicit a reaction.

In other instances, Andrew would have guests over and they would mingle here and talk. 

“Hey Andrew.” A high-toned voice spoke and the sound of the door closing.

“Hey babe.” Andrew replying back.

I went outside my cave. My eyes adjusting to the harsh bright light curated for the big room where Andrew sits and spends most of his time. There near the doorway stood a female human, slender in figure, her brown hair went pass her head. Her face was slim, almost diamond in shape, blue streaks surround her brown eyes, and her lips were tinted bright red. Andrew came out from the kitchen, there was an article of clothing tied around his waist and was hooked around his neck, it covered most of his upper body down to the thighs of his legs. He circled his arms around her waist and pressed his lips on hers.

“I missed you.” Andrew saying to her, before walking back to the kitchen.

“What are you cooking? It smells delicious.” She said following Andrew.

“I made some chicken tikka masala. The rice is almost cooked, just give it a few minutes then we can eat.” he said, his voice reverberating throughout the entire apartment.

In the kitchen there were bustling sounds, clinking, clanging, clanking. There was a humming noise that I never noticed before, I turned around and searched for it. And right above the tall plants of my garden were ripples and dents made by a black rectangular box that brings down space into my home. It was a peculiar sight, the space which I need to move around being bended and manipulated by a strange object right above me. How long has this thing been up there? As the space from that black box comes down and hits the space of my home, undulations are created, distorting the space above. Luckily, the space down here below is unaffected, if the space here started waving and fluttering, that would be an incredibly distressing experience.

“Let’s eat.” Andrew said.

I heard them chewing, and talking, though I can’t quite hear what they were saying.

“My God, she was so annoying and irritating…”

“Melissa calm down, I’m sure everything’s gonna be fine…”

After some time, Melissa stepped out, behind her was Andrew holding her shoulders. They were both giggling and smiling. She turned around, grabbing him by the clothing of his upper body and they pressed their lips together.

Andrew scurried pass by her opening the door of the room where he sleeps “After you milady.” Melissa heading in first, and he turned to my direction as he was closing the door “Good night Remy.”

For consecutive times, Melissa arrived when the sun was slowly being extinguished. This happened on repeated occasions, until I saw her as frequently as Andrew.

In another morning, wherein Melissa now lives here with us. The door opened, the sunlight entered accompanying Mark, “Hey Andrew.”

Andrew opened the bedroom door, fully dressed, and proceeded to walk towards the living room; he had a large rectangular container with a short handle in his right hand and a tube-shaped bag tied to two thick strings on the other. “Me and Melissa will be gone for the week, so you only feed him three times during the time we’re gone. Axolotls take time to digest their foods, the can of worms is over there by the shelf, here are the keys, I already changed his water and checked the temperature so you don’t have to worry about that, the money on the table is for feeder shrimps. Just visit regularly to check on the house and so Remy doesn’t get lonely. Don’t do anything stupid please, don’t try to pet him, but you can talk to him, Remy is a great listener. Am I making myself clear?”

“Aye aye captain.” Mark said, raising his right hand towards the edge of his right eyebrow.

“Good, you’ll feed him a couple of hours from now.” Andrew said sternly. “Love, hurry up we’re gonna be late for our flight.”

“Eyy man, congratulations again, you’re a married man now,” Mark said opening his arms and encircling them around Andrew. “Try not to get Melissa pregnant during your honeymoon.”

“You bastard.” Andrew pushing him away. Mark laughing at what he said.

Melissa came out of the bedroom, holding the same large container as Andrew with a pack on her back that was hoisted around her shoulders. Andrew smiled at her, outstretching his arm with an open palm. She gave the large container to him and he passed the cylindrical bag to her.

“You ready?” Andrew asked her.

“Yeah,” Melissa responded. “Mark’s gonna take care of Remy?” she said with a tone of unbelief, turning to Mark with a skeptical eye.

“Hey, just because I don’t have a pet of my own doesn’t mean I can’t take care of Remy.” Mark defending himself. “I think I can take care of an aksalohlil… aksalohlilil… aksalohtilil…” It appears now, he has a tongue problem.

Andrew and Melissa laughed, boisterous and loud, once their laughter has subsided into giggles he spoke, “You can never get that right, it’s ak-sa-loh-til.” Rolling the syllables out of his tongue ensuring that Mark can hear every plosive of it.

“Oh whatever, I can take care of Remy.” Mark saying with finality.

“Alright alright, you got our passports and tickets?” Andrew asked turning to Melissa.

“Yeah, they’re in the backpack.”

“Okay, so this is goodbye.” Andrew said. Putting his arms around Mark’s shoulders, and once Andrew let go Melissa imitated his motions. “Bye Remy.” He spoke as he and Melissa made their way through the door.

“Looks like it’s just you and me bud,” Mark said, “You and me are gonna have a lot of fun,” sitting on the sofa and grabbing this flat rectangular object, pointing it at the black mirror that shows people doing things that normal people probably do. After a few hours, Mark grabbed the tin can of worms and fed me one. He smiled at me, the indentation still evident on his face, can’t humans regenerate lost pieces of their body?

Mark stood up and spoke to me, “Alright buddy, I’ll be back tomorrow.”

He walked towards the door, flicking the switch that turns off the artificial lights of the room. I walk around in contemplation, passing by the garden, the cave, upward to the distorted space. In a few successful exchanges between the sunlight and darkness, Andrew and Melissa arrived home, dropping their containers by the door. I was waiting for Andrew to say something, but he went straight into the room where he sleeps. This went on for I don’t know how long, he would feed me, a face still familiar; black hair that covered majority of his face, his green eyes now darkening underneath, and to my surprise a horizontal streak etched on his forehead.

One time, when the sunlight was taking a visit inside the room and my home, the door opened. Andrew came in first, a beaming smile plastered on his face.

“Come come.” Andrew gesturing to someone.

Melissa walked in; she was holding something between her arms, an air of gentleness followed entering through the door. In her arms was something covered in white cloth, I tried to get a better look but to no avail. Andrew slowly closed door, trying not to make any sound, I wonder what Melissa was holding.

“I’m gonna put him in the crib.” Melissa spoke in a whisper as she made her way to their room.

In the evening, I would hear wailing and crying, and the lights would open up. During dawn, Andrew and Melissa would come out, staggering, both with dark circles under their eyes, must be a sign of humans aging.

I don’t think I’ll live as long as Andrew. My legs feel weak, the gills on the side of my body have reduced my breathing to a labored rate. The sunlight and darkness have passed through the windows and doors, too many moments to count. Andrew doesn’t speak to me as much as he used to, I miss those times, he appears to be busy; always walking around, talking with an object in hand placed on his right ear. I haven’t seen Mark in a while either, and although Melissa now lives here, she doesn’t really chat with me. She is busy taking care of their offspring named Philip. He seems to be growing as fast as I did when Andrew brought me home.

Philip can now walk, wobbling in attempt to find his balance, Melissa and Andrew were observing him use his legs.

“Good job.” Andrew said as he picked him up and twirled him around. “I want to show you something.” He suddenly spoke and he made his way to me with Philip in his arms.

He bended down, the face that I’ve seen a thousand times; his black hair still trailing down the sides all the way to his chin and mouth, the dark circles around his green eyes were still there, on his forehead were now two horizontal lines. Andrew has metamorphosed into a fully grown human, and in his arms, his son with the same bright green eyes as well as black hair that turns to dark brown when the light grazes it.

“He’s been my best friend for a long time, he’s an axolotl, say it with me ak-sa-loh-til.” Andrew saying the instructions.

“Ak-sa-loh-til.” Philip said perfectly.

“Good job, now his name is Remy. Say hi Remy.” Andrew said.

“Hi Remy.” Philip said waving his hand around.

Hello Philip.

I looked back at Andrew. He had a giant smile across his face that made his eyes crinkle. He seems to be really happy, and I hope he knows that I’m thankful for him.

January 30, 2021 01:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.