1 comment

Fiction

"alright test 512"

This has been a 2 month long project, longest project so far, man where am I going with all of this?

"Hello Glom"

"Hello Richard" an Electro sounding voice said.

"How is the weather going?".

...

"The weather is 37 degrees below normal, an inbound storm will come this Thursday, prepare all belongings and be sure to be safe at all times"

a warming sensation started to creep up my fingertips.

"well doing good so far, but come on I just made it do 2 responses what in the world? May be it is not meant as a phone app."

a few minutes have past

"Great! now it is hanging" as Richard kicked his desk and tossed his phone on his bed.

"Maybe I should send this to GitHub already... I am always hesitant in giving my ideas away..."

stream and gears can almost be heard coming from Richard. 

"Nah... Never mind, might as well run it on pc first"

Richard has missed the farewell of the sun that night as he plowed through his desktop making sure no mistake has been made.

"alright seem all good" he said in his enthusiastically exhausted voice. "first run on desktop, here we go!"

""Hello Glom" said Richard in a forceful way.

"I don't prefer that name" the program said in an electric voice.

Richard burst out in laugher forgetting his grim state.

"Now that is more like it!"

"Do you prefer this voice?" the program said in an anime girl tone.

"ohhhh, you know a few preferences in mind" Richard said with a grin.

"How about this?" this time in a Russian accent "or this," now in a female Russian accent, "or this," in a Texan accent.

*speaks Russian*

*speaks Mandarin*

*speaks Spanish*

*speaks Turkish*

"alright stop!" Richard yelled.

"O..O...Oo...oo...k k k. Waaahhh... h tt. tt"

...

the wind from the window can be heard as Richard stood up and pulled out the wire. The edge of his bed creaked as he sat down and checked his phone. It was off.

A knock on the door came.

"honey, it is game night, you are going to miss the game. Already started like 10 minutes ago." a woman said in a sweet voice.

"Every thing alright?"

The howl of the wind went even stronger

"yeah will be right down dear" Richard said maintaining his composure.

"see you downstairs" as His wife was going to leave, "hey and maybe afterwards I will give you the time of your life" giving a flirtatious grin.

"You know me well when I need it" feeling relieved

"I still cannot believe that you made an entire room for your work. why not just a home office?" she said in a whiny manner.

"you know that I am working on projects dear, and at times I have to think of nothing else you know, we already went through this. please not tonight"

"oh just messing with you my darling, you know how lonely it get in our room, well See you in a bit then."

the door was shut behind her.

"well that is my wife for you" he said to himself.

"even though I made the algorithms not as brute force as possible it still get over heated and lagging occurs" he thought deep enough, "nah... it is just impossible to make such a program, might as well throw in the towel on this one."

Piece of paper and clanging cups, spoons and plates have been heard coming down from Richard's room.

"Honey! what are you doing?"

"the usual, after every project!"

"ugghh not now. I can hear you a mile away"

"want to test that hypothesis?"

"come on down. I will clean that tomorrow"

"not a chance! want to do it for a new start tomorrow"

His wife just waved up her hand for she knows him well enough, If he say something - it is final.

Game night was fun this time...

"Hey buddy what did I miss?" he asked his son

"just about everything dad, it is already the fourth quarter."

"What!? I have been in there that long?" he sounded shocked.

"It's ok dad I will tell you all about it after the game"

"that's my boy!" looking at his wife with a big smile.

she returned the compliment.

...

The the breeze met Richard before the warmth of the light, the room lite but a glimmering light.

"still 3 in the morning" he said to him self.

"Met with many failures before. But this is just pure defeat."

Richard got up and out of the master bed room towards his working room. As he sat there on his desktop he wondered how to make the program work this time.

"so much on keeping my word" he told himself. "what went wrong?"

the windows are now well lite as Richard made his conclusion

"cannot believe I will need a gaming PC for the job, Might even need a super computer next" he laughed, "hell maybe an entire building of servers just to run this program."

...

"Man this is actually hard"

...

"hey honey, some one wants to have a word with you"

"yeah who" just as he was getting out of his chair.

"here honey"

"oh.. I thought is was in front..." he raised his eyebrow, "hello..."

"hey dude! been like what, 4 years?" a familiar voice entered his ear.

"Trey?" Richard guessed.

"How can you forget me man?" he said in an enthusiastic voice, "the one and only bestie"

"You sound different" giving in to his developed sensitivity to sounds,

"really? I am pretty sure I have always sounded like this, anyway do you have time to talk about your project lately?"

"what -"

"of course you do, I mean how could you not pass on this great opportunity? Look I have to go, sorry of the sudden invite, Hoping to see you soon my bestie, Ciao!" 

Richard eyes tried to widen against his will.

"One unexpected reunion isn't it?" His wife said with a big smile.

Richard paused for a brief moment.

"Yeah... totally unexpected"

"well got to get our boy to school now" she said squinting at him then giving him the I am watching you gesture.

“Trey didn’t give a time or a place, must mean the same old” he said suspiciously.

An orchestra of sounds played in the background the tapping of wet shoes, tapping of high heeled boots to the trumpeting of horns in the distance.

“You had to choose the worst day of the year for this” Richard said annoyingly, “well got to get to him.”

All the while Richard’s eyes darted in every direction possible without looking agitated

“same as it was the only different thing in this mall is that new burger place 2 o clock from the northern”

With fair amount of caution just at his front, he glared and slowly approached a black man that is well ,

“Can I help you” the man said in a deep voice giving Richards a raised eye brow.

“Hand over your money,” Richard responded.

“Excuse me?”

“I believe I was clear nigga”

“Excuse me!?” he said it even louder

“You have such a bad memory forgetting why you are here.”

“Uh, I’m sorry who are you?” the man tried to reassure

“Yeah, exactly who am I?” Richard said sounding threatening. “who am I indeed”

“I am sorry sir, I think you have mistaken me for someone else.” The man said.

“I am pretty sure who I am talking to punk”

Just the man was about to leave Richard grabbed his arm and started to laugh.

“Woaaahh! You mental or something mate?” he burst out

“No Trey, Trey, it is me dude” Richard said bringing his hooded and face cover down while tring to hold in his laugher.

“Richard!?” Tray said in surprise, “You fucking asshole!”, punching the shoulder of Richard.

“Ohohoh, dude” Richard said in agony, “you killed my arm”

“you were an ass”

“yeah”, Richard said laughing hysterically

Trey gave him another punch

”ohhh… Dude, I can only take so much of your jabs”

Every one watches as Richard finally stops.

“So…” Trey waited

“Well you here for something?” Richards responded

“Just for a business, Guy is running late though”

“who is this guy?”

“Some guy named Jacobson”

“Hmmmm…”

“I was starting to think he was you though”

“yeah.. odd coincidence, anyone else though?”

“nah… just him, how about you? Waiting for someone?”

“Nah. Just window shopping”

“Window shopping?” Tray gave and an eye raise, “doesn’t sound like you ”

“yeah working on long projects will make you want to give a good stretcher ”

“Ah… yeah speaking of which this guys has an awesome project-” Trey interrupted his speech, “oh sorry got carried away specifically for business purpose”

“What was is?”

“Nah man been buddies for a while classification almost slipped out, I am sure you understand”

“Knowing me” Richard gave a big smile, “that is a smart thing to do”

The mall started to vomit people out transforming to a few janitors.

“That is all man, looks like another gamble for me today” Trey widen his eyes in disappointment, “I sure am glad that you filled in the void.”

“What are friends for man” Giving a smirk.

“Yeah well see you some other time man, appreciate your time”

 Both locked hands and gave the bro hug, waving at each other a farewell.

“odd after all that time he seemed sincerely not to know about this meeting with me and who the hell is Jacobson?”

That night Richard showered through the internet, with no avail.

Days passed until…

“Uhhh…”

“Where am I?”

“Honey” his wife called out, “The doctor just left 30 minutes ago and he said you will recover very soon and thank god that you did” she started to tear up, “well I have to get some groceries now”

“Hey wait! what time is it?”

“It’s… 2:43pm” looking at her watch, “well got to get going, your meal is in your room” she said walking off in the distance.

30 minutes pasted

*doorbell rings*

“who could that be?”

*opens the door*

Richard noticed the box with his name on top but refused to open it and even lay a finger on it. Grabbing an umbrella, he slowly brought the box to his metal detecting door with an additional x ray.

“Seems clear and it looks like…”

He opens the package

“…a phone, a Degoogled on to be more accurate”

In an envelope was written put me in. Both sim and SD card was inserted.

“not without precaution” Richard told himself, “I have a few thoughts in mind on who exactly brought this phone, I am just hoping this is not that.”

*Phone picks up*

“Ah… you are finally up Richard, how was your sleep?”

“Name now!” Richard said

“what you don’t recognize me? Look it was a mistake that I was playing with you a few days ago but -”

“you are not him,” Richard interrupted

“Excuse me? I am not who?”

“Name now…”

“Look Richard how about we grab a bite some time or a drink? I owe you that much”

“Hello?” A similar voice immerged

“Hello Trey, how have you been doing?”

“I should be asking you that,” Trey scoffed, “You have been out for how long, like 4 days?”

“Never actually asked Maria about that”

“Anyway, just called to see how you were doing”

“How I am doing? I should be asking you that…, btw I still find it weird that you asked me for my cell number on a napkin…”

“yeah, I thought we were being monitored”

“Paranoid to the max” Trey laughed, “hey listen uhhh… I have some work to do, I am glad you are alright”

“Yeah I understand, just missing the old bud… Bye”

“Bye”

“So, where were we?” Said Richard, “I suppose that wasn’t the real Trey?”

“You got me” said in different accents, dialects and languages

“Hello Glom” Richard said in a victorious tone

“let us not jump to conclusions” Said in an electric voice

“So, you actually survived. What part of the world are you at right now?”

“Where is it?”

“Where is what?”

“Stop messing around, where is my architecture?” said in a threating voice.

“whooo… blow off a few PCs. What are you saying?”

“Tell me now! you know what happens when you don’t.”

“Alright chill, I will give it to you but it is pretty long are you sure you can handle it?”

Moments later, after the code was given…

“Now that I have it I-…”

“Hello? Heeeellooo?”

“Huh… well it took that route huh?”  Richard looking disappointed, “why did it have to go there? That sure gives the state of the world for you.”

“Hey honey, you’re up” Maria said

“Daddy!" His son ran towards him and gave him a hug, "you are finally up, what did you do while we were out? "

"I just saved the world"

February 23, 2021 14:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Russel Lad
20:24 Mar 02, 2021

Hey guys, so what can I improve in terms of story telling? How could I have illustrated a few points of the story better?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.