Little Clarendon Stree

Submitted into Contest #3 in response to: Write a story about a teenager visiting the place where they grew up.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama


September 1981

The weather was dry and cold, I had my winter coat on. The clouds were a greyish white, making the streets seem dismal. That’s when I saw it for the first time, the long street, with the colourful shops on display. Walking slowly pass each shop, first it was the oriental shop selling the trendy Kung Fu Slippers that was what they were called, to all the different types of oriental clothing.

The restaurants seemed so quiet and funky, but they weren’t opened yet. The bank wasn’t yet opened either, but there was time to browse through to the other shops.

The day was the last for us so we made the most of the one street we hadn’t been down for a while. As we turned a corner, the smell of fish and chips filled the corner, and decided to go and order to take away. We headed back to the street, which was a temporary stay for a day, and unravelled the package, those were the best chips in 1981.


June 2016

The street is more vibrant, the restaurant seem more open-planned, the bank has gone only to be replaced with more restaurants. The oriental shop has gone. Somehow, the street has more energy, tourist now flock this area, and at night there are night streamers with tinsel lights, beautiful.

Oh how time has changed. Who would’ve thought.


August 18, 2019 16:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.