Practice Makes Perfect

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy

Sam takes a deep breath, staring into the lava filled crater. A single, low hanging branch is her only chance at crossing the sizzling ravine. She crouches low, bracing her hands on the rocky ground. Launching off the ledge, she grabs the branch and swings across landing on the opposite ledge. The slate chips away under her toes, and her feet scrape down the sides of the crater. Her lightning reflexes save her from a fatal plummet, her fingers gripping the overhang tightly.

“Daddy,” she squeals, “help me.”

Liam races into the living room to find the preschooler hanging from a floating shelf on the wall. Her chubby legs kick wildly, her feet trying in vain to find traction against the wall. The chandelier swings overhead, sending shadows dancing around the room. The shelf creaks under her weight, and the bookcase on the other side of the room teeters forward.

“Samantha Jane,” he lunges for the cabinet, “get off of that right now.”

“But Daddy, the floor is lava.”

He catches the bookcase with one hand and easily pushes it upright, holding the doors shut. Chuckling, he makes his way across the room. His hands wrap around her waist, and he throws her over his shoulder. She wriggles and squirms, desperately trying to break free until Liam sets her down in the backyard.

“Now, you’re safe at sea, and the pirates are getting away.” He smiles down at Sam, eyes wrinkling at the corners.

“Come on, Shep.” She waves her hand and runs away giggling. “I need my trusty sidekick.”

An energetic Australian shepherd bounds past Liam. Sam sprints to her treehouse and jumps, pulling herself onto the platform without the ladder. Shep paces underneath the small house whining until Sam peaks her head over the ledge. When the shepherd pops his front paws onto the ladder and wags his tail, Sam braces her legs against the walls and snakes her arms around the dog, hauling him up next to her.

Liam's grin spreads as he watches her parry invisible enemies and captain her treehouse to safety. He returns to the kitchen, reluctantly turning his attention from Sam, and starts dinner.

When the front door opens, Liam’s smile returns. “Thank God you’re home.”

Reagan strolls around the corner and drops her briefcase in the corner, kicking her shoes off.

“How was work?”

“Much harder since our resident super-spy retired.” She drops a kiss on his cheek.

“You’ll just have to catch your own criminals from now on.” He turns his head, pressing his lips to hers. “What about your promotion?”

“The big desk isn’t as thrilling as you’d think.” She sighs and holds up her index finger, pouting. “The most excitement I saw was jabbing myself with a staple.”

Liam breaks into laughter and takes her hand, leaving a soft kiss on the tip of her finger. “You know this is better for Sam. She needs us here.”

“Speaking of,” Reagan looks around.

“Out back.” Liam releases her. “And she’s got entirely too much energy.”

Reagan takes a deep breath before turning to the door. “Smells delicious.”

When Sam’s eyes land on Reagan, she lowers Shep to the ground and hops down after him. “Mommy!”

Reagan drops to her knees and opens her arms, bracing for impact. Sam jumps against Reagan's chest, toppling them both over. Without missing a beat, Sam scrambles to her feet and points her stick-sword at Reagan.

“Mommy’s a sea monster,” Sam yells and jumps away.

Reagan growls and chases Sam around the yard, swiping harmlessly at her heels. Before long, Reagan stops her pursuit and straightens up.

“Time for a bath.”

Sam’s shoulders slump as she drops her stick and leads Shep to the back door. She slides the glass door open and, before Reagan can stop her, tears through the door and into the living room. Leaping onto the coffee table, she jumps effortlessly to the chandelier and flings herself onto the bookcase.

Reagan’s lips press into a hard line as she glares up at Sam. “Bath now.”

“No.” Sam sits on the shelf, crossing her legs. “You just got home. I want to play superhero.”

“Some other time.” Reagan’s voice softens as she reaches a hand up. “Dinner will be ready soon. You need a bath.”

Sam swats Reagan’s hand away and dives for the chandelier.

Reagan snags Sam’s ankle and tugs at her leg, but Sam’s grip is too strong. The chandelier sways as Sam fights with Reagan, kicking her legs frantically.

“I told you it was a good idea to reinforce that thing,” Liam calls from the stove.

Reagan works her jaw, now pulling at Sam’s waist. “Not helping, dear.”

As if on cue, Sam’s fingers slip and Reagan stumbles backward with Sam wrapped in her arms. Sam kicks and twists, pushing off Reagan with all her might. Reagan breathes heavily, tightening her arms to control the supercharged four-year-old.

“If you don’t cut it out, I’m going –”

Sam wiggles herself free and drops to the floor, laughing. She quickly corners herself next to the couch and takes cover behind an end table.

“You can’t defeat me,” she calls gallantly. “The bad guy never wins.”

“Samantha,” Reagan slams her hands onto her hips, “you are pushing my patience to the –”

A small flowerpot crashes into Reagan’s stomach. She grabs her side and crumples to the floor gasping. Sam shrieks and runs to Reagan’s side, tears welling in her eyes.

Liam rushes in and finds Reagan slumped on the floor beside the coffee table. Dirt and ceramic pieces cover the floor around her. The miniature cactus that used to sit on the end table lies on top of the mess.

“What happened?” Liam kneels next to Reagan, lifting her shirt to study the damage.

Reagan’s breaths are short and ragged. “Sam.” She barely manages to gasp.

Liam raises an angry eyebrow at Sam and pulls Reagan in close to him. She flinches under his touch, prompting him to release her.

“We’re going to the emergency room.” He helps Reagan to the couch and glares at Sam. “Go get a few toys together.”

Reagan shakes her head. “What about dinner?”

“We’ll grab burgers on the way.”

He rests a steadying hand on her shoulder before turning down the hall. He gathers an overnight bag for the three of them and returns to Reagan’s side, finding Sam waiting by the door. Sam sits silently in her car seat for the entire drive, not taking her eyes off the passing scenery.

When Reagan is taken back for x-rays, Sam and Liam sit in the mostly empty waiting room. Sam stares at her toys, holding one in each hand, but doesn’t play with them.

Liam takes a deep breath and tips her chin up to look at him. “Why don’t you tell me what happened?”

She chews on her bottom lip for a minute. “I threw the baby cactus at her.”

“Why would you do that, baby?” His eyebrows pull together, creasing his forehead with worry lines.

Sam shrugs. “I just wanted to play with her.”

“Well,” Liam glances down at her disapprovingly, “you hit her pretty hard. She’s in a lot of pain.”

“I know.” Sam looks away, choking back tears. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m not the one who needs to hear that.”

She draws her bottom lip between her teeth again, nodding absently.

Liam takes her chin and turns her face towards him. He levels his eyes with hers. “You have to be more careful. Mommy doesn’t heal fast like us, and soon you’ll be stronger than Mommy.”

“I guess I’m not a very good superhero,” she mumbles, sliding off her chair and collapsing onto the floor.

“No, you’re not.” He scoops her into his lap. “But you have plenty of time to practice, and that’s what you have to do.”

Sam nods, turning her face away again.

“You can’t just run around using all your strength all the time, baby.” He combs his fingers through her falling braids, removing the ties at the ends. “That’s how people get hurt.”

When a nurse calls Liam and shows him to Reagan’s holding room, Sam follows him to the edge of the hallway but refuses to walk through the door. Liam continues in and smiles softly at Reagan who has a steady dose of IV pain medication. The corners of her lips twitch up and her eyelids flutter, neither open nor closed.

Liam turns around, smirking at Sam’s eyes peaking around the door frame. “Come on in, baby.”

Sam jerks her head back and leans against the wall outside. When Liam steps into the doorway, she stares at his feet, twirling her hair.

“Mommy wants to see you,” he says calmly, taking a knee.

Sam raises her eyes slowly until they meet his. “Really?”

Liam nods and takes Sam’s hand, leading her through the door. Sam climbs onto the bed with Reagan and snuggles into her side.

Reagan inhales sharply and lets it out as ragged groan, her vision going dim around the edges when Sam’s shoulder slams into her ribs.

Liam nods at Reagan. “You should show her. She needs to know what she’s capable of doing to someone.”

Reagan looks from Liam to Sam and then back to Liam before nodding slowly. She lifts her shirt, displaying a deep red bruise, the outline of her ribs clearly visible through the middle. The surrounding area is red and splotchy where the cactus spines irritated the skin. Her breathing becomes more labored and her face contorts with every small movement.

Sam’s eyes go wide as the discoloration is revealed. She reaches out, tracing the edges of the dark splotch, then gently pressing against bruise. Reagan flinches under the pressure, causing Sam to jerk her hand back. Sam’s eyes begin to tear up as she examines Reagan’s face, eyes squeezed shut, mouth pulled tight, nostrils flared.

“I’m sorry.” Sam breathes, lips trembling.

“I’ll be alright,” Reagan croaks.

As the first tears spill over Sam’s cheeks, she buries her face in Reagan’s shoulder. “I didn’t mean to. I was just playing. I wasn’t trying to hurt you.”

Reagan wraps an arm around Sam, rubbing soft circles over her back and bends with a quiet whimper to kiss Sam’s forehead. “I know, sweetheart. I know.”

Crying herself out of tears, Sam lays her head on Reagan’s chest and nestles in as close as she can. “Do you still love me?”

Reagan pulls Sam in closer despite the screaming in her ribs. “There is nothing you could ever do to make us stop loving you.”

Sam looks up at Reagan with another sniffle. “But I hurt you really bad.”

Reagan laughs, “You know, you constantly pulled my hair as a baby. Hard.”

“Yeah,” Liam crosses the room and hovers next to them, “and you caused a few problems before you were born too.”

Sam looks between their relaxed faces and cracks a smile. “You mean when I was still in Mommy’s tummy?”

Reagan nods. “This is the first time you’ve broken a bone though.”

“I’ll be carefuller.” Sam lays back down against Reagan. “I’m going to practice.”

Sam’s eyes dart to Liam. His eyes light up, and she receives a warm smile and nod of approval in return.

June 29, 2020 14:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ken Coomes
21:42 Jul 08, 2020

This is a beautiful story, with layers as well as the surprise revealed in the middle. There is a missing "the" in "gently pressing against bruise," but that's one of those minor errors. I loved "being carefuller," one of your excellent, subtle nuances capturing the essence of a four-year-old. Looking forward to your next piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susie Munday
23:11 Jul 06, 2020

I loved this story! My curiosity about the strong-willed child was peaked as the story progressed. Loved the story line and the ending! Hope to see more from this writer!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.