0 comments

Drama Sad

Anna walked in the door with an armload of groceries. The dark living room made it difficult to see the way through to the kitchen. Slowly and quietly she tip toed through the room and reached the kitchen just in time. Her arms were burning from carrying the groceries home from town. Had the car still been running she would not have had to walk to the store every week. As Anna put the groceries away she heard a thumping upstairs followed by loud footsteps coming down the stairs. She sighed under her breath and finished putting everything away. As Anna got out the skillet to fry the chops, a man appeared in the doorway. He was a rough looking man who needed a haircut and a shave. "That should have been made already." He grumbled. "Well John, it took longer at the store, I will have it ready soon." Anna answered calmly. He walked over to the cabinet and got out a small glass, Anna watched out of the corner of her eye "Haven't you had enough today?" She said quietly. "What was that?" He snapped. Anna turned to him and smiled "Nothing, I am talking to myself about dinner." John walked out of the kitchen and Anna heard the TV come on, soon a very loud wrestling show was playing. Anna focused on making dinner and quickly began frying the chops. She put the beans on to cook and when the chops were done; she put them on a plate and washed the pan.

Suddenly Anna was scared by a knocking on the kitchen window. She knew who it was so she quickly turned off the burner and opened the kitchen door. "Clark I told you not to come here when he is here." Anna whispered as she closed the door. He walked close to her, "I had to see you. I missed coming to the café today." He answered softly. "So you couldn't wait until tomorrow?" Anna asked. "I couldn't wait. Why haven't you been answering my messages?" He asked. "I have been busy." Anna answered. He moved even closer and grabbed Anna's hand "Can't you just leave him."Clark said. "You know I can't. I have to take care of him." She said sadly. He rubbed her cheek with his other hand "Anna please, run away with me and we can spend a lifetime together." He said. Before Anna could say anything, Clark slowly leaned in to kiss her but then they both heard John yelling. "Anna where's my dinner?" Anna rubbed Clark's cheek "I'm sorry I have to go." Anna said quickly as she pulled away from him. Her hand slowly slipped out of his and he stood watching as she walked in the door closing it quietly behind her. He walked away in the darkness so John would not see him. Anna quickly put the food on the plates and set the table. "Dinner is ready." Anna called out. John came stumbling into the kitchen and sat down in his usual seat. "This is it?" He asked. Anna looked up shyly from her plate "I didn't have time to make anything else." She answered. He moaned loudly, poured himself another glass and began eating. Anna never knew what he was drinking because it was something different every day, and she never tried to find out. He stood up from the table leaving his dishes for Anna to clean up. She heard him fumbling and thumping his way up the steps, as she got up and began washing the dishes. As she was washing the last of the dishes she heard her phone go off. When she finished she picked it up and opened the new text message. "My love is patient." It read with no contact name just a number. She smiled then without replying she placed the phone in her purse. She worked night and dayshift at a little café in town. It was open twenty four hours for some unknown reason. Most of the time she worked days but sometimes she would gladly take the night shift. When the dishes were dry and put away Anna picked up her purse and turned off the kitchen light. Just as she did she heard him thumping his way down the stairs, Anna walked into the living room towards her room. "I'm going out. Don't wait up." He mumbled. The front door opened and closed loudly. Anna stood alone in the living room "I won't." She whispered. 

The next day Anna's alarm went off at five A.M. she got up got dressed and was out the door. The diner was three miles from her house so she had to get up that early just to be on time. As she was walking it started to rain "Perfect." She said aloud to herself. Had she brought an umbrella with her the three mile walk would not be so dreary. Her walk to work took her right past Clark's house which was unfortunate in her case. No girl wants a man she loves to see her soaked from walking in rain. This however did not play out in Anna's favor. "Anna!" Clark called out. He ran off the porch towards her and now they both stood in the rain. "Anna what are you doing? You're going to get sick." He said quickly. He took off his jacket and wrapped it around her then pulled her close to him with his hand on her shoulder. "Come on." He said leading her to the porch. He went in the house and got a towel "Here try to dry off." He said smiling. "Anna why were you walking in the rain? You should have called me." He asked as she dried off. "I didn't want to bother you." She answered. When truthfully she never even thought about calling because it was not raining when she started out. Anna dried off and hung the towel on the banister "I have to go. I need to be at work by seven." Anna announced as she stood from the chair. "You are not walking." Clark said. "Then how am I going to get there?" Anna asked. "I am going to drive you." He answered. "Mom, dad, I am taking Anna to work." He called. "Okay honey." His mom answered.

 It took about ten minutes for them to get there in his car. He pulled in a parking place in front "Hey, I'm kind of hungry. Do you want to get some breakfast first?" He asked. Anna smiled "Yeah I am hungry too." Clark and Anna walked into the café "Anna. You're early." A girl said from the kitchen. "I got a ride today." Anna answered. They sat down at a table and ordered there food. "How long do you work today?" He asked. "Until five." Anna answered. Clark and Anna talked while having there breakfast then when it was time for her to go to work, Clark left and went to his job. The hours flew by; they usually do when it is a very busy day. Five came around and it was time for Anna to go home. "See you tomorrow." Anna said as she walked out the door. Clark hadn't said he would come and get her but she assumed he would. Anna sat down on a bench outside and took her phone out of her purse. There was a new text message so Anna opened it and it read Anna, had to work late so I won't be able to pick you up. I'm sorry. This time she wrote one back don't worry about it. It stopped raining. Anna began walking home and after about forty minutes she finally saw the house. She unlocked the door and walked in, the house was dark and very quiet. She walked into the kitchen the place that she spent the most time in. She turned on the light and looked around for something to make for dinner and finally she decided to make pasta. Just as she put water on to boil there was a knock on the door. Anna wondered who could be knocking on the door; no one ever came to visit. She walked through the living room and opened the door; she was surprised to see two police officers standing on the porch. "Can I help you?" Anna asked. "Are you Anna Smith?" The one officer asked. "Yes sir, I am."Anna answered. "We need you to come with us." The officer said. Anna looked very confused, "Did I do something wrong? I have just been at work all day." She said. "No ma'am we just need you to come with us." The officer said again. Anna grabbed her purse and walked out the door locking it behind her. The officer put her in the back seat of the car and began driving. Anna did not understand what was happening and where she was being taken or why. So she just sat very quietly in the back of the car and waited to see where they were taking her. She took out her phone and began writing a text. Escorted by police to, she left the text off there because she did not know where she was going.

Finally, they arrived at the hospital. Anna wondered why she was being taken to the hospital. The officers got out of the car and let Anna out, "Come with us." The officer said. As Anna walked behind the officers she pulled out her phone to finish the text Escorted by police to hospital. Could you come pick me up? She sent the text to Clark. Who was her only friend in town. They walked into the hospital and into the ER. A doctor rushed over to the officers and whispered something. Then the one officer turn to face her "Come with me Anna." He said politely. He led her down the hall and Anna had a bad feeling she knew where she was going. He stopped beside a door "Can you identify this man?" He asked. She slowly walked in the room and over to the bed, with trembling hands she lifted the blanket. Anna began crying quietly, she felt guilty. The reason she felt guilty is because she felt relieved that he was gone. "Is this man John Smith?" The officer asked. "Yes." She answered quietly. "I'm sorry for your loss ma'am." He said sadly. Anna leaned over the bed and kissed his forehead, "Goodbye daddy." She said quietly. The officer led Anna back down the hallway, and when they had almost reached the end Anna saw him. There was Clark talking to the other officer. She stopped and stood there just looking at him. He glanced over and saw her, he smiled with relieve and rushed over to her. As he hugged her tight Anna whispered, "We can be together now."

June 10, 2021 22:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.