A Friend in Need

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write a story where a meal or dinner goes horribly wrong.... view prompt

1 comment

Contemporary Desi Drama

A Friend in Need

I reached the Crown Palace hotel as early as one o’clock though the time fixed for our lunch was 13:30. Since I had a full thirty minutes to wait I sat in the lounge and picked up one of the glossy magazines lying on the table. My mind was not, however, on the pages of the magazine but on the unfairness of my bosses who had posted me to Mumbai. I had requested them to post me at Delhi as I had to look after my old parents who lived in a town close to Delhi, and though the Director had assured me that he’d look sympathetically at my request, I had been posted as the head of the Mumbai branch. Normally, this would have been a welcome posting but in my current domestic situation, it did not suit me. Nevertheless, I had to accept the order.

I had joined the Mumbai office two days back and had temporarily checked in at the Agency guest house. The very next day I had received a call from Mr Gaur. At first, I could not place him but when he told me that he had been my contemporary at the college, I remembered him clearly though more than ten years had passed since we were at the college. We were not in any sense close friends but had sometimes interacted during college debates and symposia. Unlike me, he belonged to a very rich family which had business interests in all major cities of India, including Mumbai. For obvious reason, our paths did not cross outside college; he moved in circles to which I had no access, nor had any desire to be in them. He told me that he was now looking after the Mumbai end of the family’s business interests. It was during this conversation that he had invited me for today's lunch.

I was so immersed in my thoughts that I did not notice when my host arrived and took a seat opposite mine until he greeted me,

“Hi, Mr Malik. Have I kept you waiting?"

I looked up and saw Mr Gaur smiling pleasantly. He had the same jovial looking countenance which he had in college days though he had acquired a few inches around his girth.

I stood up and while he hugged me warmly, I said,

“No, not at all. I had come a bit early and have been looking at some of these magazines.”

"Welcome to Mumbai. You will love this posting. We are a friendly people here and have very cordial relations with your Agency."

With these words, he led me into the restaurant, which has the reputation of being the most expensive one in Mumbai. The Captain greeted us warmly and led us respectfully to a corner table. It was clear that Mr Gaur was a frequent visitor there.

“What will you drink, Mr Malik, a wine or perhaps a beer?”

“Oh, I am a teetotaller. I will just have an orange juice.”

“Really? I am surprised. People in your Agency are generally very fond of drinks. But never mind. I will also have an orange juice today.”

He placed the order and soon the waiter placed our glasses of orange juice and some light snacks before us.

“Where are you putting up, Mr Malik? In Mumbai, it is not easy to find a flat for rent.”

“For the time being, I am in the Agency guest house, but I can stay there only for a week. I will have to find a flat before the week is over.”

“No worry, sir. My flat in Worli Sea Face is vacant right now. Why don’t you shift there? You will not only save the rent but also can stay there as long as you are in Mumbai.”

“Thanks for your offer, but I think I’ll be able to manage. I have some relations here and when I vacate the guest house I can stay with them till I find a flat.”

“No, no. I insist. I will send my car and the driver will pick up your bags and bring you to our Worli flat. After all, what are friends for?”

I was overwhelmed by the offer. Finding a flat on rent is certainly not easy in Mumbai and this offer would save me a lot of headaches and a lot of money. I thanked him and told him I’d shift on Sunday which was just two days later.

In the meantime, our meal was almost over and we were on our dessert consisting of generous helpings of vanilla pudding. Suddenly my phone vibrated. I looked at the screen and saw that it was a call from the Head Office.

“Excuse me a moment. I will have to take this call.”

I picked up the phone and went out into the lobby.

“Hi, Malik here.”

“Sir, I am Varma, the executive assistant to the Director. You have been posted to Delhi. The order has been issued just now. The Director wants you to join your new posting by Monday.”

"Thanks. Please tell the Director that I will certainly be at the Delhi office on Monday."

I was overjoyed at the news. I re-joined Mr Gaur at the table and shared the happy news with him.

"Mr Gaur, you will be happy to know that I have been posted to Delhi. I think I will take a flight tomorrow. You have proved to be lucky for me. Within an hour of meeting you, I have got my desired posting.”

“Oh, congratulations, sir. But did you want a Delhi posting? I thought Mumbai was a coveted posting and you were lucky to have been posted here.”

“Yes, Mumbai is a nice posting but I have some family compulsions which require me to be at Delhi.”

Mr Gaur was silent, but I was too busy with my thoughts to pay attention to his reaction. Presently he got up, saying,

“Excuse me for a minute. I need to make a call.”

‘Sure,” I said.

I finished my dessert. Though I had taken my time over it, Mr Gaur had still not come back. I ordered a coffee while waiting for him, but even my coffee was finished and still, he had not come back. I got a little anxious and called his number, but there was no response. Now I started getting worried, but before I could decide whom to ask about him, the waiter came and said,

“Will there be anything else, sir?”

"Oh, no. I am just waiting for Mr Gaur."

By this time, the Captain had come over to our table, and said,

"Sir, Mr Gaur has left, and has told us that you would be settling the bill.”

I was stunned. It was a most unexpected blow. For a few seconds, I remained silent, but it finally dawned on me that my friend had really left the restaurant.

I did not have much cash with me but fortunately had my credit card. I settled the bill, which naturally was very hefty. When I left the restaurant I was a sadder but a much wiser man.

June 30, 2021 05:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Alex Sultan
00:04 Aug 05, 2021

Great use of culture in this story. I always enjoy reading stories that touch on Indian culture, and I think you did it well here.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.