Contest #114 shortlist ⭐️

32 comments

Fiction Romance Drama

    “You wanna do something fun?” he leans back and stares at the roof of the car, refusing to make eye contact with me. He has decided the fight is over. He loves me again. I can either go along or keep picking at it.

    “Like what?” I laugh. He sits up and starts the engine. He rolls down the windows and slowly pulls out of his driveway. “Where are we going?” I ask. 

    “Trust me,” he replies. That’s the problem, I think to myself, I don’t. I shake my head and begin to roll up the window. He rolls it back down. My fingers return to the little black button; the mechanics begin whirring. “Fine, be a party pooper,” he says and I bite my lip. I roll the window down. The air is cool and crisp, autumn is knocking on our door. I heave a big sigh expecting him to ask what’s wrong. I’ll say, “Nothing.” It’ll be a lie. The fight will start either because he’ll call me on my bullshit or he won’t. I’ll be hurt in both scenarios. He doesn’t say anything, just swings right at the light. “Where are we going?” I ask the brightly colored trees. He shakes his head at me like I am a child tripping over my own feet in my mother’s borrowed heels. I let my arm fall into the wind like a flag pole. I let myself relish in the shivers that run down my spine and a smile spreads across my face. When he slows at the next light I pull my arm back in and my left hand rushes up and down its companion to rewarm it. I catch him staring at me out of the corner of my eye. His dark blue eyes bore into me, the way they used to when we first started dating. The light changes to green, but his gaze doesn’t leave my freckled cheek. 

    The radio starts playing a song about a summer love on a summer beach. I change the station. A deep bass fills the car. His nimble fingers shoot out and bounce us back to the country song. A female backup singer is wailing, the guitar riff is jamming. He is smiling. I heave another sigh and watch colorful leaves rush around us. My arm flies back out the window and I weave my hand like an airplane, fingers spread out wide. I screech as he rolls up the window and my arm flies to my chest. He rolls his eyes and merges onto the highway. Fuck you. His eyes shot over to me, did I say that out loud? As he turns on cruise control his right hand drops into the black center console and his left perches like a parakeet at the top of the steering wheel. I roll my eyes as he opens the console and pulls out a pack of spearmint gum. I hate spearmint gum and he knows it. I take a deep breath in and he dramatically unwraps a stick and places it on his tongue. One eye watches the road, the other peers into my soul, daring me to react. 

    I don’t. Instead, I start looking for license plates that start with A. “AHZ 203,” I boast proudly and point at a red bug. He punches me in the arm. It’s harder than necessary and I cry out. He takes a deep breath in and exhales slowly. Another country song comes on. It’s about a breakup. I slink back in my seat and cross my arms around my chest, but not before I dramatically rub my left bicep. He shrugs and says, “BUZ 184.” A black minivan rushes past us. I turn my nose up at him. “CIT 478,” a motorcyclist weaves in and out of our lane. His black leather jacket makes him look like a beetle. The song ends with the final cries of a violin which has been masquerading as a backup instrument. A commercial about a new apartment complex hosting showings plays. My heart races. He begins to exit. A large wooden sign advertising pumpkins nearby comes into view. “EVP 777,” he points out a truck. My eyebrows shoot up, you skipped D. He would deny it. Can’t stand to be wrong. I’d run through the cars-the red beetle, the black minivan, the motorcycle, the truck. He’d sputter out some makes and models of vehicles. I’d concede. Why? A commercial for a local dentist begins playing as he follows the signs to FOSTER FARMS. We turn onto a dirt road, he rolls down the windows.

    Dust fills my lungs and my eyes begin to water. Really? You roll down the windows now? Damn straight he’d roll down the windows now. I huff and puff my distaste as he maneuvers his vehicle into a spot. It’s a jam packed day. Kids in flannels and jeans that match their parents rush past us. We sit parked for a moment, listening to a symphony of laughter. I press my lips together, rub my eyes, and dramatically turn my bicep so I can see if there’s a bruise. He sighs and opens the door. My boots crunch on the gravel and I throw my dark curls into a ponytail. He doesn’t tell me to grab my sweatshirt. I close my door and try to shrug it off. There was a time he would. We walked side by side up to the red barn.  Like magnets, our fingertips graze each other. Our hands are not clasped. A woman stands behind a plastic table with a little cash box on it. A brigade of red wagons are neatly parked to one side. She is busy convincing a family of six they need to wagons not one and the oldest child, maybe 10 or 11, is protesting that he is a, “big boy.” He tugs on his father’s blue button down sleeve and says, “I can walk, Daddy. I can!” The father smiles, kisses his son’s blonde curls and holds up two fingers. The boy’s mother mumbles her name, “Charlotte,” to the employee in a red polo and marches over to Wagon 3 and 9. We approach the table. He shakes his head when she asks if we want a wagon. Her green eyes glance at my face. I want a wagon. There was a time when he would’ve asked, when we would’ve taken laughing selfies and tried to tip over the wagon. There was a time when I would’ve posted it on social media and he would’ve made us his cover photo. Now, it’s a picture of a cherry blossom tree. 

    We walk down the dirt path as instructed and begin searching for treasure. Most of the pumpkins near the entrance have been plucked so without speaking a word, we decide to walk deep into the field. I spot some large orange ones and begin walking more quickly. My footsteps echo in my head and I wonder if he’s watching me. I get twelve feet ahead when I turn around and realize he’s not by my side. He’s knelt by a green pumpkin. I sigh, typical, and begin the journey back. The green pumpkin is tiny. He cradles it in his palm affectionately. My right hand flies to my hip which I pop out in frustration. He doesn’t look at me. Not anymore. I huff and puff. I sigh. Nothing. Fuck you. The gravel spits dirt from my heel as I spin on it and head back to my orange pumpkins. These ones are huge. Too big for me. They break my heart because he won’t offer to carry it back, not like he used to. He won’t say, “Climb in,” and hand me my pumpkin. It won’t be slightly cool and get my jeans a little dirty. I won’t stare at his butt as he pulls me giggling back to the barn. I found a baby, still pretty orange, but easier to carry. When I look up, I see him approaching. It’s a race back to each other so I stand quickly and begin the race walking to him. “I’m done,” I say defiantly and he heaves a sigh. He meanders past me to the collection of orange pumpkins. “Hello? I said I’m done,” I’m frozen, watching him. He doesn’t turn back, but stands like a scarecrow beside the pumpkins. There was a time I would’ve snapped a photo and written across it: FUN, FUN, FUN! before pasting it into a scrapbook. 

Instead, I am pulled to him. He is examining the pumpkins, considering his green tomatoesque pumpkin. “Sit down and close your eyes,” he tells me. I set down my pumpkin dramatically and find a pumpkin to sit on. It’s cold on my ass. I bend my knees and rest my elbows on them so I can put my fingers in front of my eyes. In this dark world, I can hear the sound of wheels on a dirt path, the laughter of children. I can’t see him, but I know he is moving all around- his boots squelch in mud, his cologne wafts around me. I peek out and catch a tiny image of him; his hair is a mess. There was a time I would have ran my fingers through that hair, jumped onto his back, and kissed his neck. We would have been that couple. The one everyone is jealous of. The one that makes all the heads turn and the angry employees turn their nose up. I hold my index and middle finger back together. The world goes dark again. I feel cold and shiver slightly. My nose searches for the scents of apple and cinnamon wafting from the barn. Instead, it’s filled with clean air. I breathe deeply. 

“Ok, open,” he commands. He’s down on one knee. The left knee of his jeans is covered in dirt and he holds out a little gold key with a kitty cat in a pink bow on the end, because I have always wanted a cat. It’s a house key. My breath catches in my throat. My heart beats out of my chest. “I know things haven’t been outstanding,” he starts, “But I want you to know I’m committed to you. To us. Move in with me?” He phrases it as a question. I watch his chest heave in nervous gasps. There was a time I would’ve screamed, “Yes!” I would have thrown my arms around that neck and covered him in kisses. Everything would be perfect...for about six weeks. I would pretend it was enough. It would be a lie. He’d know it. I’d know it. We walk back in silence, our pumpkins abandoned.

October 05, 2021 18:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Lola Bauman
21:25 Oct 27, 2021

It moved me a lot. The detail and effort in this wonderful story has challenged me to become a better author! If its ok with you, could I message you when i finish my first story? I am a beginning author with a lot of passion.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emrys Oak
01:02 Oct 26, 2021

OMG! I loved this story! I really liked the way she kept comparing what they used to do to what they do now. The part that broke my heart but I still completely understood was when she was hesitating to say yes, and then ended up not. I've read a few of your pieces and I am in love with your work. You always have such a great storyline! I was just wondering if you could possibly take a look at my story called, Lilith's Priestesses?

Reply

Amanda Lieser
22:54 Oct 26, 2021

Hi Sierra, Thank you so much for your kind words. I would be thrilled to reply to your story. Thank you again for your time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sabrina Hall
17:31 Sep 14, 2023

I really like this piece! It's such a subtle, interesting shift from her doing what she thinks will placate him to finally having that moment to think what matters to her instead. And it's a shift that's done so well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ruth Porritt
06:56 Dec 09, 2021

Bam! :) I wish I had written that ending line. Outstanding work, and catch you later, Ruth P.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patrick Samuel
19:53 Oct 22, 2021

There's something heartbreaking in the way our sympathy shifts unexpectedly from one character to the other. This story made me reflect that in love as in war, sometimes there are no real winner or loser - and any kind of victory is often bittersweet.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
20:30 Oct 22, 2021

Hi Patrick, Thank you so much for taking a moment to look at “Pumpkin.” I love that you took this message away from the piece. I appreciate your time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
22:19 Oct 17, 2021

Congrats on the shortlist! Well-deserved. I could definitely feel the conflict in your story and I like that it was written from her perspective. Your narrator is very relatable, and the things she hopes for is what everybody hopes for in a relationship. I would have wanted a wagon too lol. It's sad, but I'm glad that the narrator doesn't just acquiesce into moving in with her boyfriend.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
23:44 Oct 18, 2021

Hi Kate, Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it. I’m so glad you enjoyed the ending. I wanted readers to have a complicated experience with the narrator. Please consider sending me the title of one of your stories. I appreciate receiving feedback so much and I’d love to repay the favor!

Reply

Kate Winchester
01:28 Oct 19, 2021

You're welcome, and thank you! I would love feedback. If you want to read Falling Forward that would be awesome, or you can pick whichever seems the most interesting lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mariah Heller
13:39 Oct 17, 2021

What a great read! I enjoyed the way you describe the scenes...you took me there!

Reply

Amanda Lieser
23:42 Oct 18, 2021

Hi Mariah, Thank you so much for the kind feedback! I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Parker M
03:02 Oct 16, 2021

This story is definitely full of surprises, from the beginning to the end. I liked being able to look through the thought process of the narrator, the way she envisioned her future with him, how she felt about the time they spent together, and the altogether shift from the light, fluffy tone in the intro to her last hopes in their future diminishing at the end. The internal struggle you showed was heart wrenching. Overall, this is a great story, and it deserved to be shortlisted.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
23:02 Oct 16, 2021

Hi Parker, I am so glad you enjoyed the story. I was certainly conflicted on how I wanted to create their whole relationship before designing the Pumpkin Patch scene. I really value the time you took to respond to this piece and I’d like to repay it. Please consider responding to this comment with the title of one of your stories you’d like some feedback on. Thank you again!

Reply

Parker M
12:31 Oct 17, 2021

You're welcome! I'm glad you chose the pumpkin patch, it really worked out. Also, thanks for the offer, but I'm sort of new to Reedsy and haven't posted any stories yet. Hopefully soon, though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anna W
21:03 Oct 15, 2021

What a great example of the cycle of bitterness/offense that encapsulates the ending of a relationship. Every spoken or unspoken thing seems to add to the wounds. Really enjoyed this story! Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
23:05 Oct 16, 2021

Hello! Thank you so much for responding to this piece. I am so glad you enjoyed it. I have been so excited that this piece was so well received.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:22 Oct 15, 2021

This feels exactly like it gets when a relationship sours. How the slightest unspoken thing or unwitting gesture can be interpreted as an insult or hurt. My sympathies went to the narrator but I really hoped she’d rethink her rejection and fall romantically into his arms at the end. But I’m an optimist. The whole narrative is smooth and engaging, with so many evocative sentences. Thank you for a great read.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
23:07 Oct 16, 2021

Hello, hello! Thank you so much for your taking the time to write a comment. It means so much to me to receive feedback on my writing. I half considered giving the couple a happy ending, but I really was drawn to creating a less than perfect ending. Please consider sending me the title of one of your pieces you’d like to receive a comment on because I’d love to return the favor. Thank you again!

Reply

09:26 Oct 17, 2021

That would be wonderful. Thank you. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/mq8xiq/ I hope this works. Otherwise: My Mother's Dreams. Prompt 110

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
20:14 Oct 14, 2021

Nice story. Right from the beginning I want her to give him the boot. You need to edit it a bit better - "they need to wagons" should be "they need two wagons".

Reply

Amanda Lieser
21:40 Oct 14, 2021

Hi Michael, Thanks for the comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cart Wright
17:46 Oct 14, 2021

Loved the story. I wasnt sure what was going to happen and kept me guessing all the way to the end. I loved the details of the everything, you explained it all from the Foster farms to the cold ass sitting on the pumpkin. The Foster Farms you described sounds a lot like a Foster Farms near me with wagons and pumpkin picking, and you described it so well I felt I was there. I also really enjoyed The way you captured the brutal honesty of how some relationships turn out.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
18:28 Oct 14, 2021

Hi Cart, Thank you very much for the kind feedback. I chose the name because Foster is my maiden name. It pops up a lot in my writing. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kat Davis
18:19 Oct 13, 2021

I really loved the imagry you used in this story. I could really see the view of fall and the blurring of trees as the car drove by. I felt as if my head was looking out of the window :) Also the way you use the scenes to describe the crumbling apart of a relationship really struck me. Keep writing!

Reply

Amanda Lieser
21:07 Oct 13, 2021

Hi Kat! Oh my gosh! This feedback meant the world to me! I really appreciate that you not only took the time, but felt connected to the story in the exact way I wanted. It means so much to me that you commented, please consider sending me the title of one of your stories because I love reading stories that authors specifically want feedback on. Again, thank you for your time!

Reply

Kat Davis
03:02 Oct 14, 2021

haha no problem! I love reading other people's stories. Especially when they're good. I recently just wrote a story called "Grapevine" that is published to my page. If you want to read it, feel free :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Fatima Aladdin
12:21 Oct 10, 2021

Loved this story! Such an honest and heartbreaking portrayal of a relationship coming to an end.

Reply

Amanda Lieser
22:49 Oct 11, 2021

Hi Fatima, I am so glad you understood the theme of this story. I wanted the reader’s heart to break for both of the characters. Thank you for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. Please let me know the specific title of a story you’d like me to look at and comment on for you! Thank you again!

Reply

Fatima Aladdin
12:24 Oct 14, 2021

No, it's okay, you don't have to do that, I've stopped writing for a while... Your story is very well written, I hope it wins this week!

Reply

Amanda Lieser
17:30 Oct 14, 2021

Thank you, Fatima! That means a lot. I completely understand. Sometimes, a creative break can change everything!

Reply

Fatima Aladdin
16:28 Oct 15, 2021

Hopefully!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.