That Was So Unrealistic

Submitted into Contest #62 in response to: Write about a character putting something into a time capsule.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Romance Coming of Age

It was a casual day at Washington High School when Nessa Sanchez bumped into her friend Diana. “Hey Nessa!” said Diana. “What’s up?” Nessa replied. The two had just left science class and were making plans to go see a movie with their friends Kai and Chandler after school. They went to see a movie about two teens burying a time capsule in their neighbor's backyard, and 20 years later they sat together and opened the symbol of their love that they buried back in high school. 


  After the movie, Nessa whispered to Chandler, “That was SO unrealistic. As if High school romances ever last.” Chandler smirked and Nessa smiled. “We heard that!” replied Diana and Kai, being very offended Nessa didn’t think they would last. “What about Cory and Topanga?" replied Diana. “That was a TV show, unfortunately, this is reality.” Nessa fired back. Diana, determined to get Nessa to believe in High School romance, suggested that the four of them bury a time capsule of their own. Kai and Chandler agreed but Nessa was hesitant. But, after Diana begged the entire way home, Nessa finally agreed. 


 The next day, the group of friends were hanging out at Diana’s house. She had already decided what she was going to put into the capsule. A note, but not just any old note. It was the first love note that Kai had ever written her. Even though she was only 17, she was certain that Kai was the one for her. So, she placed the note into a small metal box in hopes she would be sitting next to Kai as she opened it. Nessa was shocked at how quickly Diana had chosen something to put in the capsule. But, before she could ask her Kai pulled a small piece of paper out of the back pocket of his jeans. It was a movie ticket. “What’s so special about a movie ticket to the notebook?” Chandler asked Kai. Before he could answer, Diana smiled and responded, “It’s a ticket from the movie from our first date.” She kissed Kai knowing that he wanted to be with her while opening that box as much as she did. Nessa had no idea how they already knew what they were going to put in. She didn’t have a boyfriend to bury some crazy “symbol of love” for. She liked Chandler, but she didn’t say anything due to the fear of rejection. And she didn’t have any goals in life except to give her children a better life than she had. Her father left after her mother died at age 12. So, she was now living with her aunt. So, she continued to search for something to put in the capsule.


  Chandler, also not knowing what to put in, went home and did some thinking. He didn’t have a girlfriend, even though he’s liked Nessa since the 4th grade. But, he too didn’t say anything due to fear of rejection. Although, he did have goals for the future. He wanted to be a doctor. Chandler had to work twice as hard as everyone else to maintain his grades. No matter how hard he studied, he was still barely hanging on to his C+ average. It was right then when he realized what he was going to put into the capsule. 


  The next day, Chandler went over to Diana’s house where the capsule was being stored when he saw Nessa studying. “What are you doing here?” Chandler asked. “My aunt’s on a business trip so I’m crashing Diana's place for the weekend.” Nessa replied, “What about you.” Chandler pulled out a piece of paper from his back pocket and replied with one word, “Capsule.” He sat next to Nessa and showed her the piece of paper. It was a math test with a 98/100. Nessa looked confused wondering how your average math test could have any significance. “So… what’s the story?” Nessa asked. “What do you mean? There is no story.” Chandler replied. “So you just casually decided to put a random math test into the capsule?” Nessa responded. Chandler had never really told anyone about how much he struggled in school. The math test he wanted to put into the capsule was special to him. It was the first A he had ever received in school, and it was a reminder that he could do whatever he put his mind to. He explained this to Nessa, and she was surprised that he never talked about his problem before. He was embarrassed, and he didn’t want to be treated differently. Nessa admired Chandler's hard work and perseverance. The two fell asleep in Diana’s basement watching the time capsule movie they saw the other day. 


  The next day was Diana’s birthday, but all Nessa could think about was the capsule. For Diana’s birthday, her father gave her a locket, just like he did every year, with a family photo inside. Diana smiled as her father put the necklace around her neck. After her birthday party, Kai, Diana, Chandler, and Nessa were hanging out in the basement. Everyone was laughing when Nessa complimented Diana’s locket. “Do you want it?” said Diana, “I’ve got 17 just like it, my dad gets me one every year.” Nessa couldn’t tell if she was serious. “Wait, for real?” said Nessa. Diana took off the locket and placed it in Nessa’s hand. Nessa thanked her and they both smiled. Later that night, Kai and Chandler both went home, Diana went to sleep, and Nessa remained awake in her basement. All she could think about was the locket Diana gave her. It was so beautiful, but the appearance wasn’t the most beautiful part. The picture was. Diana’s family was everything Nessa ever wanted. It was right then when Nessa knew what she wanted to put in the capsule. 


  The next morning, the 4 friends were sitting in the basement when Nessa pulled the locket out of her pocket. “You’re putting in the locket?” Kai asked curiously. “Yea..." Nessa responded. Nessa explained that she didn’t necessarily care about the locket, but more about the picture inside. A father, mother, brother, and sister. Together. And that she hoped that when they opened the capsule, she would have a happy family to explain its significance to. She closed the capsule now that it had 4 items. Chandler hugged her, and Diana snapped a picture of the two on her Polaroid. They all laughed. Diana handed the picture to Chandler, he smiled and put it in his pocket. 


  They were all ready to bury their capsule so Diana and Kai walked upstairs, Nessa and Chandler stayed behind. He told her how much he admired her for being able to go through the rough times she’s gone through and still have hope for the future. They both smiled, she kissed him and walked upstairs. Chandler opened the capsule, took out a post-it note, and wrote something down. He placed the note on the picture in his pocket of him and Nessa and placed it on top of his math test. He closed the capsule and brought it upstairs.


  15 years later, we find two married couples. Diana became a lawyer and married Kai, who was now a firefighter. After years of hard work, Chandler finally became a doctor and was married to Nessa, who was now a teacher. None of them could remember what they put into the capsule, except for Chandler. Diana had tears in her eyes after seeing her love note and Kai smiled seeing the movie tickets. The two were still in love, and happy as ever. Nessa pulled out the locket and cried happy tears as she had gotten exactly what she wished for. She had Chandler, a son, and a daughter. And they were all happy as could be. Chandler smiled as he pulled out his test, the picture of him and Nessa, and a note. Nessa read the note aloud, “That was so unrealistic. As if high school romances ever last.”

October 10, 2020 01:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Alena Marie
08:27 Oct 10, 2020

hope ya enjoy lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.