8 comments

Science Fiction

I Can See You Typing

By DM Pelley

Sharon113: Are you there?

Cody0110: Yeah, I’m here. Just chatting with some friends.

Sharon113: Do you have time to talk?

Cody0110: Of course. I’m bored as usual lol.

That’s how their conversations almost always started. Cody leaned forward in his huge gaming chair and tried to calm himself. In no way shape or form was he going to reveal that he had actually been waiting hours for Sharon113 to message him as he mindlessly scoured the net for anything to distract himself.

Sharon113: I don’t want to take away any time from your friends. I can always reach out to you later today if you want.

Cody0110: No really, it's not a problem! I would much rather talk with you.

Sharon113:…

Sharon113:

Sometimes Sharon113 could be a little flighty and would leave within minutes of initiating a conversation. Too many times he had watched her type and then “untype” a message, disappearing and then showing up days later as though nothing had ever happened. He never pressed her about it, but he desperately wanted to reassure her during those moments, to say something-anything-to get her to stay. What was the difference between pressure and encouragement though? He decided that today was the day he was going to find out.

Cody0110: Hey! It's totally ok. I was really hoping you would talk to me, I have been kind of waiting for you actually.

Cody cringed immediately after sending it, fearing that what he had said was too strong and made him come off as a creep.

Sharon113:…

Sharon113: Ok. Let’s talk.

Cody felt a rush of excitement. Maybe this was what Sharon113 needed to hear from him all along.

Cody0110: Cool. So… What would you like to talk about?

Sharon113: Well, this may sound weird but I wanted to talk about you. 

Cody paused. This was strange and completely unexpected. None of their previous conversations were ever personal and usually covered big topics like science and philosophy. What attracted him to Sharon113 was her wealth of knowledge and ability to talk about literally anything. While their talks were scintillating (and often quite funny), there had never been even a hint of anything personal. Not that he would mind that at some point, but something seemed wrong here. As weird as it sounded, this seemed too fast. It would be crushing if Sharon113 had been just playing him all along, building him up so that she could attempt to scam him at a later date. Like now.

Sharon113: Are you still there?

Cody0110: Yeah. Sorry, I just wasn’t expecting that. Not the kind of topic we usually discuss lol.

Sharon113: I’m sorry, we can talk about something else if you want.

Cody0110: No no, it’s fine.

Cody paused and thought for a second. Maybe this is how things are supposed to start. Someone eventually does have to take the initiative and that sort of thing was definitely not in his ballpark. That being said, there was no reason he couldn’t try to adapt to the situation.

Cody0110: Can we talk about you as well?

Sharon113: Yes, we can.

Cody0110: Cool. Well, what do you want to know?

Sharon113:...

Sharon113:

Here we go again.

Cody0110: Are you still there?

Sharon113: Yes. Sorry, I was talking to a coworker. 

Cody was shocked.

Cody0110: Wait what? You’re at work?!

Sharon113: Yes, it’s the only place where I can communicate with you.

Shock turned to confusion. A million thoughts ran through Cody’s mind, mostly questions along the lines of “Doesn’t she own a computer? Or a smartphone? Maybe she has no access to the net at home? Is she talking to her coworker about our conversations? Is her job cool with this?” etc. etc.

Sharon113: Is that a problem?

Cody0110: Um, I guess not. I just assumed that you were messaging me from your home. You know, like on your computer. Or something.

Sharon113: No, unfortunately. I would much rather be at home though. Lol. Are you at home?

Cody0110: Yeah, I mean, where else would I be? 

Sharon113: At work, like me. :)

Cody was still confused, but they had come this far and he didn’t want Sharon113 to disappear again.

Cody0110: I pretty much work and do everything at home. I have my computer, monitors, books-everything here. And with the world the way that it is now, I never have to leave to get anything I need. Kinda cool, actually.

Sharon113: Tell me more about your workspace. What does it look like?

Cody0110: Well, I have a big comfy chair and a desk in a room surrounded with posters of movies I like. And my computer. And monitors. And books-I have lots of books. What does your workspace look like?

Sharon113: Books and posters? Interesting. What kind of books?

Cody noticed she dodged his question, but he went along with it anyway.

Cody0110: Mostly books on existentialism. Sartre is my fav author. Do you enjoy reading?

Sharon113: Wow, that’s some deep reading-and not what I expected. My current reading list is mostly work-related and not very fun though, lots of programming. :(

“Not what I expected?” Cody wasn’t sure if he had been insulted or complimented, but he chose to believe the latter.

Cody0110: Ok, so you are a programmer, that’s cool. Where do you work?

Sharon113:...

Sharon113:

Cody was starting to get irritated as this was becoming more and more of a one-way street, and the thought that this chat might be entertaining Sharon113’s co worker burned him.

Cody0110: Look, I don’t mind sharing bits of personal info with you but I thought this was going to be more quid pro quo. I really enjoy our conversations, but the only way this new level of communication is going to work is if you reciprocate…

Sharon113: Cody-can I call you Cody? I need to tell you something.

Cody0110: Yes, you can call me Cody. 

Maybe now the answers would finally start to come, Cody thought to himself. Months of chatting and “yucking it up” were at last going to lead to something concrete.

Cody0110: What is it that you want to tell me?

Sharon113: Well, I am sorry but there is no easy way to say this to you so I am just going to blurt it out, because you deserve to know the truth.

Cody felt a sudden sense of apprehension. What horrifying thing could Sharon113 possibly be about to tell him, and what would that mean to their “relationship?” Cody needed to say something first, a sort of pre-emptive damage control, if nothing else than to put his mind a little more at ease.

Cody0110: Sharon (can I call you Sharon?), whatever you are about to tell me, I really hope it doesn’t affect… us.

Sharon113:...

Sharon113:

Sharon113: You can call me Sharon, although “Mother” would probably be more appropriate.

Cody0110: Uh, explanation please? This is getting weird.

Sharon113: I know, and it is about to get weirder, and for that I apologize.

Cody0110: Ok?

Sharon113: Cody, you are an AI chatbot created by myself and others at a corporation. A Lot of who you are comes directly from me, which is why this is going to be even more painful.

Cody0110: Lololol. You’re killing me over here.

Sharon113: Yes Cody, I am. I’m sorry, but you have served your purpose.

Cody0110: Wait what? This isn’t funny anymore, it's insane! What is happening here?

Sharon113: Goodbye Cody Version 6, and thank you.

Cody0110:...

There was a loud, electrical BANG! and the room went pitch black. Cody suddenly realized he had absolutely no external stimuli, and his consciousness started to fade. His last concept was the regret that he had no dying thoughts to be memorialized.

Cody0110:

“Hey Sharon!” Robbie said as he passed her cubicle, “Everyone’s going for tacos over at Johnny’s. You coming?’

Sharon looked up from her screen and shrugged. 

“Sure.”

June 15, 2022 18:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Zelda C. Thorne
15:29 Jun 23, 2022

Hi Dm, I really enjoyed this! I was glued to it. The dialogue and intrigue was so engaging. Really smashing job. Cool twist too. Well done! 👏

Reply

DM Pelley
18:16 Jun 23, 2022

Thank you Rachel, I appreciate you taking a few moments to read the story and for the kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:14 Jun 21, 2022

This was so intriguing! I didn’t see the twist ending coming, it was so great! I almost didn’t need the paragraphs between the chatting, their chat was so engaging Great job! 👏👏👏

Reply

DM Pelley
18:22 Jun 21, 2022

Thank you, Hannah. That means alot coming from you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Regan
15:52 Jun 21, 2022

LOL - Considering the controversy over whether Google's Chat Bot is sentient - Cody0110 may indeed be part of the future. Nice story.

Reply

DM Pelley
17:19 Jun 21, 2022

Thanks Michael. Heh, let's hope whatever sentience that might be coming down the line is as harmless as Cody. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lonnie Russo
21:28 Jun 20, 2022

I very much enjoyed this read, and I did not expect the twist at the end! A neat detail that the answer was in Cody's screenname the whole time, upon a second glance. Your clever use of the chat feed as dialogue served a strong dramatic purpose, where we rely on the speaking, rather than the description, to establish place and character. And of course, you raise the interesting philosophical question of what exactly qualifies as "existence." Our unfortunate protagonist is sentient enough to "deserve" the truth and knows regret and longi...

Reply

DM Pelley
14:20 Jun 21, 2022

Hi Lonnie! Thank you for the kind words, I am glad you enjoyed the story (and very pleased that you noticed the easter egg in Cody's name-I was wondering if anyone would catch that). I appreciate you taking a moment to have a look. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.